Lybrate.com has an excellent community of Orthopedists in India. You will find Orthopedists with more than 28 years of experience on Lybrate.com. You can find Orthopedists online in Chennai and from across India. View the profile of medical specialists and their reviews from other patients to make an informed decision.
Book Clinic Appointment with Dr. S Premkumar
Knee Pain Treatment
Spinal Surgery Disorders
Treatment of Neurological Problems
Treatment of Knee replacement
Treatment of Joint And Muscle Problems
Treatment of Nerve And Muscle Disorders
Acl Reconstruction Procedure
Hip Replacement Surgery
Joint Dislocation Treatment
Knee Care Procedures
Joint Replacement Surgery
Ankle Pain Treatment
Treatment of Spondylosis
Arthritis And Pain Management Treatment
Treatment of Joint Dislocation
Treatment Of Disk Slip
Treatment Of Herniated Disc
Submit a review for Dr. S PremkumarYour feedback matters!
Hi myself I'm a regular gym goer and the issue is from last few days I'm feeling pain in my back and that is also in the lower half specially in the nights while sleeping pls help me in this regards.
I met with an accident know in my knee there is swelling and the water is influence there saying tat either I have to inject r go fr operation. Am confused wat should I do. Is it advisable fr injections.
Hi Last two months my left elbow given problem doctor say it's tennis elbow problem please what I do.
I am suffering back pain. What are the reason. What is the solution. I am driving c b z motorcycle. 2 to 3 hours I am in standing position per day. Whai to do. What not to do.
I have been over masturbating from last 8 years and now I feel pain in my joints, I also feel sounds coming from them if I stretch them I feel more pain and sounds coming from them. I am 22 years old and weigh 87 kg. My height is 5 feet 6 inches. Please tell me how I can get rid of this problem.
I'm 28 years male having pain in both hand muscles. I know it is due to use of laptop and mobile. But my job is to work on laptop for at least 9-10 hours a day. Please suggest how can I cure my pain permanently.
Neck pain and stiffness can give you a harrowing time. From children to aged people, the condition is a common problem that can affect all and sundry. In addition to the pain and discomfort, the condition also restricts the head movement. The neck bones and muscles are important as they not only give support to the head but also ensures its free and unrestricted movement.
Stiff neck and neck pain can be an amalgamation of various factors such as
Our professional commitments often demand spending hours before the computer. The sedentary lifestyle is the main wrecker in chief, giving rise to many health complications, with neck pain and stiffness being one amongst them. Sitting in one position for long often results in muscle pull (tension) and strain. The muscle tension can also be an outcome of incorrect sleeping posture.
- Neck injury and inflammation sustained during an exercise or due to an accident can also result in neck pain.
- Neck injury followed by pain and stiffness can also be an outcome of Whiplash (a condition where a person suddenly jerks the head).
- Stiffness and neck pain can also be triggered by medical conditions such as Meningitis, Rheumatoid Arthritis (of the neck), Heart attack, Fibromyalgia (muscular pain particularly in the shoulder and neck area), Cancer (of the spine), Spondylosis, and Spinal stenosis, to name a few.
Seek a medical assistance in case
- The condition aggravates and persists for long.
- The pain and stiffness are sudden and unexplained.
- Pain that slowly moves down the arms and legs.
- In addition to the neck pain and stiffness, a person complains of a headache, nausea, vomiting, fever, difficulty in eating food, a bowel disorder.
- A lump (in the neck) accompanied by pain and stiffness needs immediate and thorough investigation.
Diagnosis and treatment
Neck pain and stiffness are often diagnosed by
- Physical examination.
- A lumbar puncture can also aid in the diagnosis.
- Imaging tests such as X-rays, MRI, CT scans, Electromyography
- Blood tests.
Depending on the severity, a doctor decides upon the course and mode of treatment
- The use of ice packs or heat pads (avoid very high temperature) on the affected area every 2-3 hours (for 15-20 minutes) can provide great relief.
- Gentle massaging can go a long way to relieve the pain and stiffness. It only helps to improve the blood circulation.
- Neck exercises and stretching play a pivotal role in strengthening the neck muscles, thereby reducing the pain and stiffness. However, in an endeavor to achieve maximum results, do not overdo yourself.
- Medicines such as Nonsteroidal anti-inflammatory drugs (NSAID), Tylenol, Advil, corticosteroid injections, come in handy in case of severe pain and inflammation.
- Use of a neck collar provides support to the affected area.
- Surgery may be recommended (very rare) in the case of serious complications.
- Some patients also benefit from Acupuncture and Chiropractic (alternate medicines). Consult an Expert & get answers to your questions!