Lybrate.com has an excellent community of Pulmonologists in India. You will find Pulmonologists with more than 32 years of experience on Lybrate.com. You can find Pulmonologists online in Chennai and from across India. View the profile of medical specialists and their reviews from other patients to make an informed decision.
Book Clinic Appointment
Oxygen Therapy Treatment
Management of Smoking Cessation
Asthma Management Program
Lower/Upper Respiratory Tract Infection Treatment
Obstructive Sleep Apnea Treatment
Treatment of Sleep Disturbance
Asthma Treatment & Management
Submit a review for Dr. S K RajanYour feedback matters!
I travelled from Delhi to Mumbai 4 days back and been having severe throat infection and asthma cough with mild cold and fever. How should I decide if these symptoms are indicative of Swine Flu and if I should go for a test?
I have been suffering from bronchital asthma from the age of 3 years. I am now 21 and its getting worse day by day. I habe tried all possible ways to get better but its been of no use. I have yo take asthalin once every couple of hours. That shows the severity of my problem. Please consult.
Im taking alopathic medicines to cure chest congestion from 20 days and I feel im ok but now at night suddenly im not able to breathe and seems falling sleep what to do please hlp.
I am suffering from cough from many days I tried many medicines but it did not worked so, please suggest me the suitable medicine.
Hello Doctor, I am 29 yrs old Cough problem for me last 6 month, also checked ex-ray, blood test, cold test all of negative. I take some cold tablet (amoxicillin, montok lc, nasal spray.) but while taking these tablet days good result thereafter cough coming.
Asthma is a chronic respiratory disorder. In asthma, the airways of the lungs get inflamed. Due to this inflammation, there is swelling inside the airways. This also causes excess production of mucous. The combined effect of swelling and mucus production is that the passage of air gets obstructed. This makes breathing difficult. A whistling sound or wheezing is often heard in such patients. Often the patient gets cough due to this obstruction of the airways. This cough is a reflex of the body to get rid of the excess mucous in the airways. A sense of tightness or heaviness is felt in the chest. One cannot expand the chest fully while inhaling. This is a medical condition characterised by paroxysmal wheezing respiration dyspnoea.
Homeopathy for Asthma-
When it comes to the treatment of Asthma, Homeopathy is much better at treating asthma. It is in stark contrast to allopathy, where inhalers and steroids are used to suppress inflammation. Homeopathic medicines do not aim at just reducing inflammation. They also intend to cure the basic cause of the recurrent inflammation. This way, not only the symptoms of asthma are treated but the incidence of asthmatic attacks is completely eliminated. With a couple of months of Homeopathic treatment, you will be able to live a disease-free and medicine-free life. It is worthwhile to mention here that all Homeopathic remedies are natural and do not contain any chemicals. That is why these purely natural homeopathic remedies do not have any side effects at all. Here is a list of the top homeopathic medicines for asthma, along with the symptoms when they are used-
Ipecac: Ipecac is used in treating asthma, where the patient experiences symptoms like heaviness and tension around the chest area. Sudden wheezing, suffocation is experienced followed by other symptoms like motions, vomiting and gagging. The cough remains constant, and the chest gets filled up with phlegm. Cold and perspiration is also likely to be experienced. A patient may feel as if a lump is present in the chest. Increased salivation is also indicated.
Arsenicum: Arsenicum is an efficient homeopathic medicine, which treats asthma attacks, which take place after midnight. The patient is anxious, restless, and cannot sleep because of the fear of being suffocated. In such cases, the patient dozes off a bit, and wakes up with great burning sensation and sore feeling in the chest. Arsenicum is prescribed during chronic stages of asthma, usually in elderly people.
Nux Vomica: Nux Vomica is used when asthma attacks occur due to gastric disorders and during simple spasmodic asthmas. People who consume an excess of caffeine or alcohol are more likely to experience such attacks. A constricting feeling in the lower chest region may be experienced. These attacks commonly occur during the morning.
Kali Bichromicum: This homeopathic medicine is used is asthmatic patients where the asthma attacks occur because of potashes. The attacks generally occur between three to four a.m. in the morning. The patient gets compelled to rise from sleep and sit up in order to breathe. A stringy yellow mucus may be produced, and the patient feels a lack of air in his chest.
Natrum Sulphuricum: This is another effective medicine for treating asthma. The symptoms of asthma treated with this medicine get worse in damp weather. Most asthma attacks occur with a rattling sensation being felt in the chest. Bowel movement may become loose after this type of asthma attack. Alcohol and aerated drinks make the symptoms even worse. Such attacks are common in the morning with the production of a green mucus.
Homeopathy has no side effects and treats the underlying cause of asthma. You should consult a homeopathic practitioner before starting homeopathic treatment for asthma.
Necrotizing enterocolitis is a disease that causes inflammation of the tissues present in the intestines and results in damaged tissues. It initially affects the inner lining which ultimately results in thickening of the intestine. It may also lead to a hole in the abdomen resulting in bacteria entering the intestine, thus resulting in infection.
The symptoms of Necrotizing enterocolitis are:
- You may experience symptoms of bloating in the abdomen
- The abdomen may be discolored
- You may experience diarrhea and vomiting
- You may not feel hungry
- There may be presence of blood in your stool
- You may have a fever and constantly feel lethargic
Causes: Lack of blood and oxygen in the intestine causes it to become weak and increases the chances of Necrotizing enterocolitis. It may result if oxygen levels drop during a difficult delivery. If the intestines are weak, then they are at a higher risk of getting infected by bacteria. If you have an excessive supply of blood cells in your body or other stomach condition, then it may lead to this disease.
Diagnosis: Usually the doctor conducts a physical exam to detect the symptoms of this disease. If babies are born with this condition, then they may suffer from weak immune system and problems in blood circulation. The doctor may also recommend x-rays to get detailed images of the intestine in order to probe for symptoms of inflammation and damage.
The treatment of the disease depends on few factors such as:
- The child's age
- How far has the disease progressed?
- Health of your child
It is recommended to stop breastfeeding. Feed the baby through intravenous methods. The doctor may also recommend antibiotics and oxygen support if the child has breathing problems. In severe cases, the child may require surgery to treat this disease.
If the treatment occurs early, then the child may recover. However, complications such as a narrow and damaged bowel may persist. This may cause problems in nutrient absorption in the intestine leading to other disorders.
I am suffering from COPD and am on steroids and other related medicines for the last 25 years. My oxygen level is 96 and peak flow is 250 I tried ayurveda and unani and I had an attack both the times. Because of steroids and brocodialator I have osteoporosis and tremor of hand and head. I have problem in walking -i get tired and breathless please advise.
My father suffering from asthma. I HV visited no of institutions but no much improvement please suggest me a doctor and prevention to be taken.
Cloves (lavang) are very useful to control diabetes, fever, cough, cold, vomiting, indigestion, iching, allergy, thirst, headache etc.
Its juice clears excess fat which blocks blood flow in nerves.
To reduce Fatigue : Take 10 gms of cloves and boil them in 150 ml water till water reduces to half the original quantity (75 ml).
Filter out the cloves and take 25 ml of this liquid 3 times per day in warm condition.
This will remove all tiredness, fatigue, stress and strain effects.
Body Pains : Take Clove oil and massage on are where you feel pain.
It can be used to massage gently with fingers on teeth and gums too to reduce toothache.
Headache, joint pains will also reduce.
Sore Throat : Keep 2 cloves at a time in your mouth and occassionally chew them and take its juice.
Let those cloves remain in mouth for atleast 30 minutes and delay this process to clear throat.
Cough : Make cloves powder and for 10 gms of it add 3 gms candy sugar powder, 5 gms honey, 10 gms butter and consume daily in morning and night.
Increase sperm count and vitality : Take equal quantity of clove powder, candy sugar powder and store in a bottle.
Daily add 5 gms of this mixture in 150 ml water and consume twice per day.
As Mosquito repellent : Take clove oil and put couple of drops of this oil at all four legs of your bed and also in all four corners of your bedroom.
This will keep mosquitoes away from your bed.
Pimples and Scars : Take cloves and ajwain seeds(jeera) equally and make paste with water.
This can be applied as face pack and wash after an hour.
It will clear all bacteria and virus on face skin and make in smooth and glowing.
Pain in Intenstines : Take 20 gm of clove powder and add to 500 ml water.
Boil till water reduces to half quantity.
For every 4 hours warm this liquid and take 30 ml per one time.
This will reduce pain in stomach, intestines, indigestion, vomiting sensation etc.
Cloves can be chewed for a while to control feeling of vomiting.
NOTE :- Before making clove power, fry them for 2 minutes in a pan on thin flame and then make powder.
Hi. I'm 45 years old. Im feeling breathlessness even for small works like walking short distances and also dry cough since 1 month. I smoke 6to7 cigarettes per day. Can you help me?
Lung diseases are some of the most common diseases suffered by human beings throughout the world. Smoking and infections are responsible for most lung diseases. The lungs perform one of the most important functions of the body. It is also one of the most active organs in the human body and hence lung problems can arise due to problems in any other part of the body.
Some of the most common and infectious lung diseases are discussed below...
- Asthma: Asthma is a common long term disease which is characterized by reversible airflow obstruction and bronchospasm. The symptoms of asthma include coughing, shortness of breath and tightness of chest. These symptoms may occur frequently during a day and depending on the person, it may become worse during night or during a certain exercise.
- Pneumonia: Pneumonia is another common lung problem which is suffered due to inflammation in the microscopic air sacs in the lungs known as alveoli. Symptoms of pneumonia include dry cough, chest pain, breathing problem and fever. Pneumonia is caused most commonly by viruses or bacteria. It is also caused by certain medications and conditions which are popularly known as autoimmune diseases. There are a number of vaccines available to prevent certain types of pneumonia. Other methods include hand washing and refraining from smoking.
- Tuberculosis: Tuberculosis is a very infectious disease which is caused by the bacteria Mycobacterium tuberculosis. Although tuberculosis generally affects the lungs, but it has been known to affect other parts of the body as well. Symptoms of tuberculosis include cough containing sputum with blood, night sweats, fever and weight loss. Air is an active medium for spreading tuberculosis. This happens when people who already have tuberculosis sneeze, cough or speak. Infection occurs more in those who have HIV/AIDS or those who smoke. Prevention of tuberculosis includes staying away and keeping those who are at high risk, early detection and treatment and vaccination.
- Mesothelioma: Mesothelioma is a type of cancer which affects the lungs. It affects the lining of the lungs and chest wall. Symptoms of mesothelioma include shortness of breath, swollen abdomen, cough, chest pain, weight loss and general lethargy. Mesothelioma is caused mainly due to exposure to asbestos. Those people who mine asbestos, produce products from asbestos, work with asbestos products are at high risk. Mesothelioma also results from genetical problems and due to infection caused by the simian virus 40.
- Pulmonary Embolism: This is a disease caused due to blockage of an artery in the lungs by a substance which has travelled from another part of the body by the bloodstream. Symptoms of this disease include chest pain, breath shortness and coughing up of blood. There may also be signs of blood clot in the legs. If you wish to discuss about any specific problem, you can consult a doctor and ask a free question.