Lybrate.com has an excellent community of Gynaecologists in India. You will find Gynaecologists with more than 25 years of experience on Lybrate.com. You can find Gynaecologists online in Chennai and from across India. View the profile of medical specialists and their reviews from other patients to make an informed decision.
Book Clinic Appointment with Dr. Rukmani Venkatraman B
Management of Abortion
Caesarean Section Procedure
Treatment Of Female Sexual Problems
Termination Of Pregnancy Procedure
Treatment Of Pregnancy Problems
Well Woman Healthcheck
Treatment Of Female Sexual Problems
Treatment Of Medical Diseases In Pregnancy
Treatment Of Menstrual Problems
Intra-Uterine Insemination (IUI) Treatment
Medical Termination Of Pregnancy (Mtp) Procedure
Gynecology Laparoscopy Procedures
Pap Smear Procedure
Submit a review for Dr. Rukmani Venkatraman BYour feedback matters!
I had some red patches near my vagina. They are itchy and irritating. Do applying zandu balm on them can cure them fast?
There are several medical conditions that can adversely impact the vulva in females. There can be infections ranging from mild to high as per the skin condition. The vulva is also at the risk of developing cancer in some cases. It is advisable to see your doctor, whenever you find any bleeding, rash or lump in the vulva. Your doctor will be in a position to tell whether you need immediate treatment or not. Your symptoms will help him to determine the cause behind the changes.
What is the vulva?
Vulva forms the outer (external) sex organs of a woman. It is made up of two pairs of muscular 'lips'. The outer pair is called the labia majora. The outer pair is covered in pubic hair. The inner pair is called the labia minora. The inner pair is thinner and is very delicate and sensitive. You will find two openings in between these lips. These lips lead to uterus and urethra separately. There is a tiny organ called clitoris that lies just in front of the vulva.
What are the symptoms linked to vulva related diseases?
The symptoms will depend obviously on the underlying condition. Ranging from pain, itching, and finding a lump, you may notice several kinds of symptoms. All these changes are related to the appearance of the vulva. The symptoms decide the gravity of the situation. It is advisable to not wait and take prompt medical help in case of lumps in the vulva. A doctor will be able to tell what has happened to tell you by means of physical examination first. Later, you might have to take tests like internal swab test. A swab is nothing, but a small ball of cotton attached to a thin stick. It will be rubbed inside vulva to collect samples for testing. The doctor may also go for a biopsy to confirm the presence of carcinogenic cells in the vulva lump.
What type of infections can affect vulva?
Vulva can be affected by infections that are caused by germs such as bacteria, viruses and fungi. You may be affected due to the following infections:
1. Thrush: It is a common infection in women. It leads to a whitish discharge. It makes the vulva red and very itchy. It can be treated with anti fungal creams.
2. Genital herpes infection: It is a sexually-transmitted infection and spreads by skin-to-skin contact. Many people who are infected might not have symptoms. But they are carriers and can pass on to a healthy person. There is an occurrence of mild soreness or blisters.
3. Genital warts: It is caused by viral infection due to close sexual contact.
4. Other infections: You vulva can be affected by scabies and pubic lice.
In case you have a concern or query you can always consult an expert & get answers to your questions!
Why headache occurs during initial months of pregnancy? Is it a big concern or not? My wife is three months pregnant and having headache in the evening time. Is it a big concern?
Dear sir, meri wife ko rubella igG 2.98 hai aur cytomegalo virus (CMV) 2.7 herpex simplex virus2. 91 hai Aur herpex simplex virus 2 hai. Toxo Gondii igM 0.29 aur rubell igm 0.54 hai kya karna chaiye I am worried about that please suggest me what can I do. Thanking you.
It is supposed to start my period on 5 or 6 of this month but still not started and i got sex last 18 february and i didn' t let the sperm there and it tested two times shows negative. And stilll no period plese help me.
My girlfriend always asking me to have sex with her .but what to do to prevent pregnancy with out using condom. I would ask about any contraceptive pill which can be used? Please suggest.
I'm 22 yrs old female, for the past two days I'm suffering from intense pain in my vagina and vulva it starts itching and burning and swollen I do not know what's the solution to it.
TOP 12 BENEFITS OF PAPAYA
Papaya is tropical fruit.
- Anticarcinogenic property: Papaya is a good source of, phytonutrients, antioxidants, and flavonoids which prevent cancer
- Prevents cholesterol oxidation: Papaya prevents the oxidation of cholesterol as it contains antioxidants.
- Prevent lung inflammation:. Papayas have Vitamin A, which prevents lung inflammation.
- Helps in arginine production: Dried papaya boosts endocrine system and helps to form arginine in the body.
- High fiber content: High dietary fiber in papaya absorbs toxins in the colon that prevent cancer and helps in bowel movement.
- Relief of menstrual cramps: Papain in papaya regulates menstrual flow and ease a cramp.
- Weight reduction: Papaya has only 120 calories. It will help you to lose weight,
- Prevent muscular degeneration: It contains carotenoid and vitamin A, C, E which prevent age-related muscular degeneration.
- Benefits in diabetes Papaya have low glycemic index, vitamins, and phytonutrients which prevent heart disease and diabetes.
- Anti-aging property: Papaya is the good source of vitamin E, vitamin c, beta carotene which prevents aging.
- Anti-stress agents: Vitamin c of papaya, which lowers the stress level,
- Immunity booster: Papaya is packed with antioxidants which help to boost immunity.