Lybrate.com has a nexus of the most experienced Speech Therapists in India. You will find Speech Therapists with more than 37 years of experience on Lybrate.com. You can find Speech Therapists online in Chennai and from across India. View the profile of medical specialists and their reviews from other patients to make an informed decision.
Book Clinic Appointment
Speech Therapy Treatment
Treatment of Throat and Voice Problems
Treatment of Hearing Disorders
Treatment of Speech Impairment
Therapy Oral Language
Language Therapy Treatment
Language Stimulation Treatment
Treatment of Learning Dysfunction Disorders
Language Presa Treatment
Oral Motricity Surgery
Submit a review for Dr. ReshmaYour feedback matters!
I have Speech Disorder according to doctor, he suggest me to take speech therapy. But, my throat so pain to speak loud. So, I need alternative on it. So, Please suggest me what can I do you better and quick permanent treatment of my voice?
I am 32, at times I feel stammer, like facing new people/environment, meeting, interview, etc. And I could not complete my words specifically, those words which require to use upper phrase, to raise tongue above, example: irr. Ra. Raa. Il. La. Etc. Appreciate your kind suggestion to resolve it quickly.
I am 21years old everybody says when I m speak. My pronunciation not correct like sa-sha voice coming what to do?
I speak well without stammering at times when I am relaxed. But I stammer and cannot pronounce words when I speak with others, I avoid words and cannot construct sentences when I speak with unknown, I even cannot pronounce my name properly and I stammer badly. I cannot say certain words, I stammer in saying those words. If I think about saying something I cannot say that sentence properly and I stammer. I cannot communicate and make sentences. Thereby I stammer. Can pranayama cure stammering properly? Suggest me ways to remove and cure stammering completely?
My daughter is 2.5 years old, she speaks only single words like mama, papa only few words. I am very much concerned. Please if anybody guide me on this.
I am 52 year old. I have to use a lot of force while speaking. No medical problem except erosive gastritis. No bp. No sugar. Is it due to anxiety that my voice becomes shrill a nd shrieky. It gives me frustration. Please Koi medicine suggest kare. No singers nodules no vocal cord problems.
Voice results from the air that comes out of the lungs and passes through the vocal cords. The latter is also known as the voice box. Speech results from the vibration of the chords. Voice disorder might occur for various reasons such as tone, pitch, and volume of the if the voice. The roots of all problems boil down to the malfunctioning of the cords.
Voice disorder examples:
- Laryngitis: Laryngitis results from the swelling of the vocal cords. It can lead to a temporary halt of voice or a voice with hoarseness. It often occurs due to a viral attack in the respiratory tract. It can last from a few days to a few weeks. The treatment suggested for cases like these include resting the voice and intake of a lot of fluids. Some common causes that are responsible for laryngitis are GERD, chronic cough, and asthma.
- Vocal cord paralysis: Paralysis of the vocal cord can be temporary or permanent. The possible cause of this scenario can be from viral infection, cancer, surgical injury to the nerve etc. In the case of a paralysis of the vocal cord, a person might find difficulty in breathing, can result in weak voice etc. While this condition improves for many people with voice therapy and surgery, for some they permanently lose their ability to speak.
- Spasmodic dysphonia: The vocal cord spasm due to a problem with the nerve. This condition can lead to a quivery, hoarse, groaning or jerky voice. In this condition, a person might find it easy to speak at times and have difficulty in speaking later. Botulinum toxin and speech therapy help to improve this condition.
Possible causes of voice disorders:
- Growth: Extra tissue formation on the vocal cords might stop the vocal cords to work properly leading to voice disorders. The growth can be treated with injection, medicine or surgery.
- Swelling and inflammation: Exposure to chemicals, vocal and alcohol abuse, surgery-related complications can lead to inflammation or swelling of the vocal cords resulting in voice-related problems.
- Hormone: Disorder of the male, female and thyroid hormone can lead to voice related disorders affecting speech.
Symptoms of voice disorders:
- The harshness of the voice
- Voice is breathy, weak and whispery
- The voice sounds like choppy or strained
- A quivering sound while speaking
- The voice sounds harsh or rough while speaking
Diagnosis of Voice related disorders:
Voice related disorders can be detected through a process known as Laryngoscopy. This helps a doctor to view the throat region and find out the possible culprit that may be causing the problem. Some other popular methods are stroboscopy, EMG and imaging tests such as MRI and X-Ray of the throat. If you wish to discuss about any specific problem, you can consult a speech-therapist.