Lybrate.com has an excellent community of Endocrinologists in India. You will find Endocrinologists with more than 31 years of experience on Lybrate.com. You can find Endocrinologists online in Chennai and from across India. View the profile of medical specialists and their reviews from other patients to make an informed decision.
Book Clinic Appointment
Adult Diabetes Treatment
Treatment of Thyroid Disease in Children
Thyroid Disorder Treatment
Thyroid Problems Treatment
Type 1 Diabetes Treatment
Treatment Of Childhood Diabetes
Diabetic Diet Counseling
Dilatation And Curettage (D C) Procedure
Egg Donation Procedure
Treatment Of Erectile Dysfunction
Treatment Of Female Sexual Problems
Food Plan Preparation
My fiance is suffering from type 2 diabetes from 3 years he is six feet tall and he weighs about 95 kilos is this the ideal weight or he should decrease the weight and while we check the blood sugar levels in a digital meter it always shows high but when we go for normal blood test it shows normal plz help us what we should do, does the digital meters accurate
Dr, I am 72 years old &i am having acute numbness in both my feet. I am diabetic and have undergone hip replacement surgery at fortis hospital about 5 years ago, after a fracture in the femur and surgery which did not give desired result. I developed a limp due to that and walk with shoes adjusting the shortness of one foot. My numbness is increasing gradually & I find it difficult to walk. Kindly suggest remedy if any. Thank you,
I am 29 years old. I take amlodac at and natrilix sr (in a week). Now my b.p is 120/90. My blood test results are uric acid 6.20, creatinine 1.29,blood sugar fasting 122, cholesterol 210, tryglisaride 190. What can I do?
I am diabetic patient since 10 years . Before food 130 mg After food 265 mg Medcine GLIMMY 1 MORNING, NIGHT
Start Today.You have one Life.
When your thyroid malfunctions, you may face difficult health issues. Hypothyroidism leads to excessive weight gain and a lot of other medical ailments. It can be identified by a bunch of symptoms which if present, should not be taken lightly.
1) weight gain - if there is sudden and unexpected weight gain, this is the earliest and definite sign of an underactive thyroid gland. This means that there are strong chances of lowered levels of t3 and t4 hormones in the body, leading to slow metabolism in the body. People suffering from hypothyroidism face increased body weight which becomes difficult to lose despite maintaining healthy diet and exercising rigorously.
2) constant fatigue - if you have slept well the night before, yet you are tired and if this is a regular feature, then chances are that your thyroid gland is underactive. Being low in energy, it gets difficult to complete daily chores or exercise.
3) swelling in the neck - another telltale sign would be goiter - an abnormal swelling in the neck. The thyroid gland mainly concentrates iodine from the blood to create both the thyroid hormones. If there is iodine deficiency in the body, this process gets disrupted resulting in hypothyroidism.
4) hair loss - hypothyroidism causes hormonal imbalance which in turn causes hair loss. If there is sudden, unexplainable hair loss, chances of hypothyroidism are high.
5) imbalance in body temperature - if you are suddenly feeling too cold, it is advised to get your thyroid tests done.
6) brittle nails - if your nails have become brittle, get chipped very easily and look weak, this could be an indication of hypothyroidism.
7) mood changes - the weight gained and the excessive fatigue, both trigger massive mood swings which at times, the person has no control over.
8) constipation - the contractions of the digestive tract get weakened due to low levels of thyroid hormones resulting in constipation. Chronic constipation without any apparent reason could be an indicator of hypothyroidism.
9) irregular menses - if your periods are irregular, do not take it lightly. This could be most likely because of hormonal imbalances which are caused by hypothyroidism.
10) slower heart rate - if your heart beats at less than 60 times per minute, it could be because of the interference by thyroid hormones.
If you would like to consult with me privately, please click on'consult.
From lybrate: if you found this tip useful, please thank the doctor by clicking on the heart icon below. Also, spread good health by sharing this tip with your loved ones over whatsapp, facebook and other media.
My mother is 54 years old suffering with diabetes mellitus type -II .I observed her eye vision is very poor. How to improve eye visibility on diabetic patients?
Diabetes is often considered as deadly as cancer. It is a disease that requires lifestyle changes and diet modifications. It is also a disease that affects almost the entire system of your body. Whether you have Type 1 or Type 2 diabetes, it will do you a world of good to understand the effects of diabetes. Neurovascular damage is one of the most common effects, this means that diabetes will affect the nerves and blood supply of the body.
While Type 1 diabetes makes its presence felt much earlier and is hereditary quite often, Type 2 appears later in life with age and cumulative stress. The effects of diabetes are related to the duration of the disease. Therefore, people with Type 1 diabetes are more likely to have the symptoms early on and need to learn to manage them. Type 2 makes its appearance later, but needs good monitoring for the effects to not surface or prolong the severity of symptoms.
As we all know, all body systems are affected by diabetes, sexual health is no exception. Diabetes decreases blood supply and impacts the nerves in the genitals, thus causing a series of issues right from reduced libido and erectile dysfunction in males to vaginal dryness and painful coitus (perunia) in females.
Listed below are issues diabetic men and women face in terms of sexual health:
- Diabetes reduces testosterone levels, which is directly reflected in reduced libido. Altered nerve function does not provide proper signals to the penis and there is also reduced blood flow to the organ. Both these can diminish the chances of a good erection. Studies have shown that among men who have had diabetes for 10 years, about 50% have experienced erectile dysfunction.
- The affected nerve function also leads to difficulties in reaching a climax. Diabetes in men can additionally cause Peyronie's disease, which leads to a curved penis, and this leads to painful and difficult erections and coitus.
- It leads to reduced sexual desire due to testosterone levels. Vaginal dryness is very common in females with diabetes and therefore, there is a definite decline in the urge.
- The above mentioned neurovascular damage also prevents women from reaching a good climax, as the nerve supply is affected.
- Diabetes also increases the predisposition to urinary tract infections, which can lead to painful sexual experience due to additional vaginal dryness and itching.
Finally, as much as it may sound as a cause for concern, it is not. People with diabetes know that making small lifestyle changes can go a long way in terms of onset of symptoms, their severity, and the leading of a normal life. Modifications in diet and lifestyle to include healthy eating, reduced stress, and exercising are very useful. It is also very important to talk to your doctor about how your sexual health has changed with diabetes. It is a sensitive and private topic, but if you are concerned about it, then do not hesitate to seek help.
What is Obesity and how to confirm that?
The most often asked questions in this context are- what is a normal acceptable weight, when does one get labelled as overweight and what is the definition of obesity? Another important question we often get asked is- what’s the difference between being overweight and obese?
In very simple terms, what a physician evaluates to check for obesity in a person is a simple index known as “body mass Index” or BMI. BMI can be calculated by simply dividing the person’s body weight in Kg by the square of person’s height measured in meters. BMI is measured as Kg/m2. Following are broad guidelines for detection of obesity-
1. BMI of < 18.5 indicates that the person is underweight
2. BMI between 18.5 and 24.9 indicates that the person has got normal weight
3. BMI between 25 and 29.9 indicates that the person is overweight
4. BMI of > 30 indicates obesity
How does Obesity affect fertility?
Excessive body weight in women causes multiple hormonal imbalances, which can result in irregular menstruation and reduced frequency of ovulation, thus leading to infertility. Also, the outcome of Infertility treatment in obese women is poorer than in their normal weight counterparts. Obesity also increases the chances of pregnancy related complications such as miscarriage, pregnancy induced hypertension and gestational diabetes and hence increases the requirement offers cesarean delivery. And not to forget that the labor is that much harder and prolonged for obese women.
Obese males also suffer from reduced fertility as they tend to have lower level of testosterone, which suppresses sperm production. Obesity can also case erectile dysfunction in men, which can result in reduced fertility.
What can you do?
Here are five easy weight management tips to help you realize your dream of having a child-
1. Watch your meals- take a healthy diet and avoid excess carbohydrates and fat
2. Watch your beverages- drink adequate quantity of water, avoid soft drinks as they contain empty calories and refrain from alcohol
3. Stop smoking and keep in mind that there is nothing like occasional/ moderate smoking
4. Exercise regularly and maintain a healthy, active lifestyle- short sessions of brisk walking, swimming, jogging or skipping are good means to keep one active and healthy
5. Avoid stress and practice Yoga/ meditation or other stress buster techniques that suit you
If you want to know more or seek an expert opinion, write to us at email@example.com today!