Lybrate.com has an excellent community of General Surgeons in India. You will find General Surgeons with more than 39 years of experience on Lybrate.com. You can find General Surgeons online in Chennai and from across India. View the profile of medical specialists and their reviews from other patients to make an informed decision.
Book Clinic Appointment
Kidney Stones Treatment
Removal Of Stitches Procedure
Corn Removal Procedure
Dressings Of Wounds Procedure
Varicose Vein Laser Treatment
Hernia Repair Surgery
Urinary Incontinence (Ui) Treatment
Stitching Of Wounds Procedure
Treatment Of Deep Vein Thrombosis - Dvt
Male Breast Reduction Treatment
Prostate Laser Surgery
Gastric Bypass Surgery
Treatment of Bone Marrow Transplantation
Vascular Surgery Treatment
Submit a review for Dr. RaveentharYour feedback matters!
Hi, I have a small hard lump inside my right buttock. I observed it 1 month back while taking bath. There is no pain or any discharge or no uncomfort. What is it and how to treat?
After doing a skin lightening treatment with a dermatologist, can we yet exfoliate and wash our skin normally or we have to follow a strict post care treatment?
Many Indians are crazy about fair skin and go to extreme lengths to achieve and maintain a fair complexion. The media bombards you daily with very catchy advertisements of creams, lotions, sunscreens and other unscientific products that claim to make your skin fairer. Do you know that your skin colour is darker for very good evolutionary and biological reasons and that medically speaking, it is good that you do not have very fair skin?
Darker skin is adapted to sunlight and has increased quantity of a pigment called melanin. The more melanin you have, the darker your skin. And the safer you are! Melanin along with other factors, acts as a “natural umbrella” and prevents harmful radiation from entering your skin. These are just some of the reasons why black skin is safe and beautiful:
- You are less prone to sunburns: White skinned individuals often get painful, carrot-red or tomato-red inflamed sunburns on exposure to sunlight. Some individuals also get blistering sunburns requiring aggressive medical treatment to control the reaction. Your darker skin allows you to spend much longer time on the beach and you probably have never ever experienced any blister due to sunlight.
- You do not experience photo-ageing: Fine and deep wrinkles, broken blood vessels on the nose and cheeks, freckles, age spots and rough scaly spots called keratosis are commonly seen in white skinned individuals with long term sun exposure. These set of changes are called photo-aging. Because of natural sun protection, your Indian skin remains has less wrinkles and is smoother, even when exposed to the same amount of sunlight.
- You are less prone to skin cancers: Without melanin, you can imagine white skin as a transparent covering, which allows harmful UV light to penetrate through into the lower layers of the skin. This radiation causes damage to the DNA and a few cells may mutate to cause skin cancers, some of which are deadly. You are lucky that your “natural umbrella” blocks UV light effectively and cells in different layers of the skin suffer much less damage compared to white-skinned individuals. However, don’t forget to see a dermatologist in case you see any new bump, or in case you see any change in(a)symmetry, border, color, diameter or evolution (ABCDE) of any existing moleon your skin.
However, on the flip side, since your skin is effective in shielding you from sunlight, you are also prone to Vitamin D deficiency. Sunlight is required for the production of Vitamin D and darker skinned individuals are more prone to this deficiency. Talk to your dermatologist about this possibility.
Sunscreens were developed to protect against sunburns and skin cancers and you probably do not need them as a routine, unless you work outdoors, on beaches or on mountains. Stay away from skin brightening creams, since many of them contain compounds which permanently damage your skin and organs. Make it a point to consult a dermatologist before putting any medication on your skin. Be proud and be happy that you have dark Indian skin.
Sir l have lip pealing problem since 4 years .it was started 4 years agonwhen started lip licking .since one years I have tried every lip bam and oil but this problem didn't go .please dir give me a permanent solution for this because it disturbs me alot in my studies.
I am 22 years old girl, I had an injury near my left breast 4 years back. But now I feel pain in that area I have painkillers bt no relief I get. I feel the pain while sleeping also. There is no mark but a very small lump I feel in my breast whenever I press that injured area. Please suggest me wht should I do or which specialist should I consult because nowadays m feeling the pain more frequently. Is there any tests required to detect the actual cause behind the pain? Please suggest me what should I do.
I am rahul 21 years old and I am having problemrelated to my pores on my face please help me to get rid away from these pores.
Mucous cyst is on my lip since last 20 days. I have visited many doctors .they prescribed for surgery. Is there any medicine for same. Is it dangerous?
Hello sir I wanted to ask you about my skin problems I want to know that how I my skin tone will increase can you please help me out of this.
I am male 30 years old, I have hyper pigmentation on my face since 8 years, which is best sunscreens lotion without harsh chemicals. Please kindly suggest. Thank you.
The market is replete with various facial scrubs that are favoured by men and women of all ages. These are especially helpful if you are facing dust and pollution every day, or are exposed to the sun for prolonged hours. Using facial scrubs is a form of exfoliation that helps in rubbing the granules into the skin so as to remove dead cells and give the skin a more supple tone. Yet, too much use of facial scrubs can also lead to a variety of skin troubles. So, how can you tell if you are overdoing our facial scrubbing routine?
- Redness and Peeling of the Skin: When you over exfoliate or use facial scrubs too often, you may find redness on your skin due to the constant abrasive action. Also, you may experience too much of skin peeling and flaking due to the same reason, instead of a mere clean up of the dead skin cells. In such cases, you will need to halt your process of constant buffing.
- Products with Green Tea Extracts: Using tea tree oil or green extracts can help in better exfoliation with a gentle action on your skin. This can soothe the skin and even prevent skin cancer, as per a variety of scientific and medical studies. Licorice root extract as well as cucumber based scrubs can also help in making the skin softer.
- Inflammation: Inflammation is another sign that you may be overdoing your facial scrubbing routine. You can use a scrub with bisabobol which usually comes from Chamomile. This can help in reducing inflammation due to constant exfoliation and facial scrubbing.
- Scrubbing Gear: Using a washcloth to clear away those dead skin cells or a scrubber or brush can turn out to be too harsh for your soft facial skin to handle. You must restrict the use of these tools to about once a week so that your skin does not get too dehydrated or wear a scrubbed look which does not have a glow.
- Testing a New Product: Test a new scrub over a small patch of your skin before using it to watch out for tell tale signs like rashes or other eruptions. Also, when you are using a seed or dry fruits based scrub, you must limit the use and not rub it around the delicate areas of the eyes and mouth so that the skin does not get rubbed too much, which can leave it loose.
Using facial scrubs should be limited and used only when you feel like there is too much build up of dirt and grime. If you wish to discuss about any specific problem, you can consult a Dermatologist.