Lybrate.com has an excellent community of Ophthalmologists in India. You will find Ophthalmologists with more than 39 years of experience on Lybrate.com. You can find Ophthalmologists online in Chennai and from across India. View the profile of medical specialists and their reviews from other patients to make an informed decision.
Book Clinic Appointment
Treatment of Squint
Lasik Surgery Treatment
Routine Eye Checkup
Laser Cataract Surgery
Reduced Vision Treatment
Visual Field Testing
Retina And Lasik Surgery
Endoscopic Dcr Procedure
Eye Muscle Surgeries
Artificial Eye Procedures
Submit a review for Dr. Ranjana KumaranYour feedback matters!
I am 55 yrs old I have a problem with my eyes, the vitreous is detaching so the are a lot of floaters. Can you help? I am suffering from sciatica for the last year, I also have oedema on my right arm due to removal of nodes as I had breast cancer, there is a water retention on my whole body. My husband who is 61 suffers from chronic cold Can you please advise?
My eyes have swollen n I don't know why is it so? I always wear my spectacle bt I don't know why they have swollen. Infact m sleeping for at least 7 hrs at night. Plss suggest me.
Macular Degeneration is an age-related macular degeneration incurable eye disease, which might result in blurred vision or no vision in the centre of the vision field, which might lead to visual distortions, reduced central vision, decreased intensity of the colours and can make it difficult for the patient to recognize faces, read, drive and to perform other activities.
Types of Macular Degeneration
1. Dry Macular Degeneration: It is characterized by the presence of drusen and thinning of macula because of a breakdown or thinning of the layer of retinal pigment epithelial cells in the macula.
2. Wet macular degeneration: In this type of AMD, there is an excessive growth of blood vessels, which causes bleeding, leakage, as well as scaring under the retina, which results in a rapid and severe loss of the central vision and might become permanent if not treated.
Causes of Age-related Macular Degeneration:
This is caused due to a problem related to the part of eye known as Macula, which is a spot at the centre of the retina of the eye. The focus point of the incoming ray of light is on Macula, which is responsible for see the things direct in front of us, especially reading and writing.
- Age: As the age increases, the probability of developing Age-related Macular Degeneration also increases significantly. The degree of the macular degeneration might vary person to person, but ageing is a major cause of suffering from age-related macular degeneration.
- Smoking: Smoking increases the chances of developing the disease in comparison to someone who does not smoke. The longer you have smoked, the more are the chances of developing it.
- Family History: The risk of developing the Age-related Macular Degeneration increases if it runs in your family, i.e. if your parents and siblings are suffering from it, then your chances of developing it are quite high as compared to the ones who do not have any family history.
- Obesity: The obese people have the higher chances of developing Age-related Macular Degeneration.
- Alcohol: Higher alcohol consumption also puts you at the risk of AMD, which is why one should always take alcohol in limited quantity only.
- Sunlight: As going out in sunlight without sunscreen is harmful to your skin, the same is harmful to your eyes for longer duration, and one should always wear UV-absorbing sunglasses to protect his eyes from AMD.
- Ethnicity: The white and Chinese are more prone to developing AMD as compared to the black people.
- Cardiovascular disease: The persons who have suffered diseases that affect the heart and other blood vessel are at higher risk of macular degeneration.
Treatment of Age-related Macular Degeneration
1. Anti-VEGF Drugs: The dry macular degeneration cannot be cured while the wet macular degeneration can be stabilized and maintained with a number of medical treatments to be injected into the eye, such as Lucentis, Avastin and Eylea. These are not long procedures and continued monitoring of the vision to maintain or improve the vision.
2. Laser photocoagulation: It consists of a concentrated beam of high energy thermal light that is directed towards the retina to obliterate and seal leaking blood vessels. If you wish to discuss about any specific problem, you can consult an ophthalmologist.
I m facing a little problem. I have red eyes for 2days. I used Olopat Od twice a day but nothing happened. What should I do?
I have a problem is that my eyes so red when I am reading some books and I found black spot under my eyes I hve so problem in read. So please give me solution.
I have repeatedly occurring pain in my left eye. Its bulging like feel and thoroughly coming tears. What should I do.
Sir, my question is there is a white powder like substance which appears everyday even if I remove it and under the eyes I feel some pain. So what should I do?
Eyelid surgery or Blepharoplasty is a cosmetic surgery, which is used to correct droopy eyelids. It reduces the saggy quality of lower eyelids which you get with age and also rids of the excess skin from the upper lids. Apart from making your eyes look younger, Blepharoplasty also enhances your peripheral vision which can get affected due to sagging skin. An eyelid surgery does not help you get rid of dark circles or crow's feet which you get on the outer corner of your eyes.
Reasons to Consider Eyelid Surgery
Eyelid surgery is a good option if you want to get rid of the sagging skin from your lower eyelids or the excess skin on your upper eyelids. Sometimes with age your lower eyelids may appear puffy, making you look old and exhausted all the time. An eyelid surgery can make your eyes look younger and livelier and also do away with the grooves and lines formed under your eyes.
Precautions to take after the Surgery
You need to stay indoors after the surgery for more than a week for your eyelids to heal. You may suffer from dry eyes; so always keep ice packs handy. Your doctor may prescribe eye drops or artificial tears, according to your needs. Make sure you always use clean towels and consume painkillers only if your doctor recommends.
It is of primary importance to follow up the surgery with postoperative care. Your doctor will give you detailed information about dressing, a dosage of antibiotics, activity level allowed and also the complications which can arise. Make sure you follow all the instructions and are prepared for the symptoms associated with it.
Risks associated with Eyelid Surgery
Fortunately, major complications associated with Blepharoplasty are rare; yet there could be some side effects of this surgery. Sometimes, there might be cases of infection and bleeding or a bad reaction to anesthesia. Hematoma or accumulation of blood under the skin is also one of the side effects of eyelid surgery.
Related Tip: Improve your eyesight - 5 Top foods to eat?
If the eyes are feeling tiredness, cut a thin slice of fresh cucumber and put on the eyes. The eyes are precious so all possibility should be tried for its protection.