Lybrate.com has an excellent community of Ophthalmologists in India. You will find Ophthalmologists with more than 38 years of experience on Lybrate.com. You can find Ophthalmologists online in Chennai and from across India. View the profile of medical specialists and their reviews from other patients to make an informed decision.
Book Clinic Appointment with Dr. Rajashree P. Ramkrishna
Treatment of Squint
Lasik Surgery Treatment
Routine Eye Checkup
Laser Cataract Surgery
Reduced Vision Treatment
Visual Field Testing
Retina And Lasik Surgery
Endoscopic Dcr Procedure
Eye Muscle Surgeries
Artificial Eye Procedures
Submit a review for Dr. Rajashree P. RamkrishnaYour feedback matters!
I have long sight power in my eyes. I want to take laser treatment. Is that cure my long sight problem?
It is very essential in the present times to understand the training, ability and skills of the doctors whom you select for your needs.
An Eye Doctor is called an Ophthalmologist. He/she can possess following qualifications
M.S (Ophth) : This is called Master Of Surgery in Ophthalmology. It takes Three years of training in a Medical Council recognized Medical College after passing M.B;B.S and includes undertaking and submission of a thesis or research Paper during the training. It can be done by obtaining seat based on Merit, Based on reservation or Based on Donation
D.O (Ophth) : This is called Diploma in Ophthalmology. It is similar to M.S. except that training period is TWO years and does NOT include doing research paper
DNB (Ophth): This is called Diplomat of National Board in ophthalmology. The training is done after M.B;B.S in some private institutes or hospitals recognized by National board of examinations and not in MCI recognized Medical college
Long Term Fellowships: As the knowledge base is increasing, there is further training undertaken for super specializing in some specific field of eye surgery through a process called FELLOWSHIP. This includes training for about two years after M.S., D.O or D.N.B in some Institues of repute like Shankar Nethralaya Chennai, Aravind Eye Care Systems ( Madurai/ Coimbatore), L.V.Prasad Eye Institute ( Hyderabad) to name a few. The training involves doing actual work in specialized techniques under supervision and guidance of experts in respective fields like Retina, Cornea, Glaucoma, Oculoplasty, Phaco and Refractive Surgery, Paediatric Ophthalmology, Neurophthalmology etc.
Short Term Fellowships: They are similar to long term fellowships but training period is very short , like 2-3 months . The training helps a general ophthalmologist to acquire some skills in a speciality but not sufficient to be able to be a super specialist. However, some doctors with such training may claim to be superspecialists!
ACEDEMIC FELLOWSHIPS: Such fellowships test the knowledge of Doctor through two or three steps of examinations/ Viva. There is no practical training given Examples are,
FRCS: Fellow of Royal College of Surgeons
FICO: Fellow of International Council of Ophthalmologists
FAICO: Fellow of All India Collegium of Ophthalmologists
Some senior Ophthalmologists who were trained in multiple eye diseases and worked for a long time in handling them may be as good as superspecialists in some areas.
Besides Ophthalmologists, some trained personnel can undertake some eye care tasks like
Optometrists: They can assess and prescribe Spectacle power(numbers), prescribe and dispense contact lenses, run some eye tests on machines.
Opticians: They can make/ sell glasses or contact lenses as prescribed by Ophthalmologists/ optometrists. They can not prescribe. Yet, many shops do so without Optometrists.
Ophthalmic Technicians: They can operate machines like Perimetry, OCT, A scan ultrasonography, Topography etc.
Hope that now the readers are better informed about their eye care providers. If you wish to discuss about any specific problem, you can consult an Ophthalmologist.
With so many of us using computers and laptops at work, computer eye strain has become a major complaint. Studies have shown that eye strain and other distressing visual symptoms occur in 50 to 90 percent of individuals working on the computers. The problems can range from physical fatigue to minor annoyance like red eye and eye twitching, thus resulting in decreased productivity and an increment in errors.
And, with an increasingly digitized world, computers can never be replaced. Though they have made your work easier, they do come with certain disadvantages as well. So, it is important that you take certain precautionary measures to protect your eyes. Here are some of them:
- Wash your eyes: Wash your eyes on a regular basis as it facilitates cooling and relaxation of the eyes. Make it a routine to wash your eyes at least 5 to 6 times in a day.
- Get computer glasses: Use computer glasses to protect your eyes as they help in minimizing the effect of the radiation from the screen. If you work for long hours in front of the computer, then you should consider getting a pair of computer glasses.
- The position of your screen: The screen should ideally be positioned at an arm’s length and the viewing angle of the monitor should be around 35 degrees. Make sure you position your chair accordingly, keeping these tips in mind.
- Eye exercise: You should perform some eye exercises regularly to reduce the strain and to give relaxation to your eyes. Follow the 20-20 rule wherein after working on your computer for 20 minutes, you redirect your gaze to an object that is around 20 feet away. This helps your eye muscles to relax and thus, improves your eye health.
- Don’t work at a stretch: Take breaks in between your work sessions to reduce fatigue in your eyes. Constantly staring at a screen for an extended amount of time can cause problems in your eye. Take 2 minutes breaks for every 20 minutes you spend working on your computer. This helps to reduce the strain on your eyes also helps to release tension in the muscles of the neck and back.
- Blink more than usual: Blinking moistens your eyes and causes tear production which curbs dryness in your eyes. It also prevents eye irritation and helps in clearing out dirt from the eyes.
Apart from following these tips, you should also make sure to go in for a regular eye check-up, so as to avoid any major problems. In case you have a concern or query you can always consult an expert & get answers to your questions!
Eyes are beautiful gift to enjoy God's creation .It works like a camera capturing images through transparent part of eye cornea; lens and focusing it on retina. Various eye surface and lid structures help to maintain the corneal transparency because oce it is lost either due to trauma; infection; oedema;dryness; etc leads to blockage or distortion in image formation hence reduced vision. So it very important to be safe then sorry protecting the eyes by protective glasses while driving or in outdoors ad also while working for loner hours in computers. Any redness of eye should be taken seriously and examined by Ophthalmologists to prevent corneal complications.
Whitish appearance of eye is also of concern as it can be commonly due to corneal [ulcer] or lenticular [cataract] retinal problem etc and needs proper examination.
Please take care of God gifted camera and enjoy world by doing regular check ups.