Lybrate.com has an excellent community of Psychiatrists in India. You will find Psychiatrists with more than 26 years of experience on Lybrate.com. You can find Psychiatrists online in Chennai and from across India. View the profile of medical specialists and their reviews from other patients to make an informed decision.
Book Clinic Appointment with Dr. Rajarathinam
Treatment & Management of Stress
Treatment of Mood Disorder
Treatment Of Male Sexual Problems
Sex Addiction Counselling
Treatment Of Female Sexual Problems
Anger Management Therapy
Treatment of Behaviour & Thought Problems
Quit Smoking Techniques
Cognitive Behavioral Therapy
Memory Improvement Techniques
Obsessive Compulsive Disorder Treatment
Treatment of Abnormal Behaviour
Psychological Diagnosis (Adult And Child)
Submit a review for Dr. RajarathinamYour feedback matters!
Dear Doctor, I am 26 Year Old. I have the problem of assistance. I wake up Early in morning at 6.30 Am and sleeping time is 12.00 am. After getting up, we go to walking (Running+Exercising. And take healthy breakfast like Milk Oats+banana+Gram etc and sometimes bread omlette. And I don't smoke and not alcoholic.(Simply life) But after doing all these things I am not performing well in my studies I feel assistance whole day. Please tell us what I do? I want to take my life top of the hill By hard work. Please help us, I will be more thankful to you if you suggest me free precautions and cause of happening all these. Thank you. Eagerly waiting for suggestions.
I am a smoker. All time I doing smoke. So now I am felling very ill. Please help me what I will do? I know smoking is injuries to health but I can't leave this habit.
We all know it as a debilitating mental illness that plagues people across the globe. Schizophrenic patients often feel like they are being overtaken by situations and events that are beyond their control. They may complain of seeing people who are not there or hearing voices where there are none. This happens because the neurotransmitters in the brain of the patient do not function appropriately. There are various types, causes and symptoms of this disease. Read up to know more.
Symptoms: Psychotic symptoms like delusion are common in patients suffering from this disease. Also, the patient may be severely blunt in the emotional sense, and may bear a lost look and wear a feeling of loss or absence at all times. The thought process or cognition of the patient may also suffer in such cases. Poor concentration and lack of coordination are some symptoms of this kind of suffering. Hallucinations and distorted thought processes also characterise the patient to a great extent. The patient may also display certain typical symptoms like social withdrawal, extreme apathy, and lack of motivation. The patient will also be in an emotionally numb state once the delusions have lessened.
Causes: So what causes Schizophrenia, really? While no tests or conclusive examinations exist to pin point the exact diagnosis or cause of the disease, there are many factors that can contribute to the development and progression of the same. Hereditary factors play up in many cases while chemical imbalances in the brain also lead to this condition. The serotonin levels and the functioning of the neurotransmitters are the most significant causes of this disease, in such cases. Excessive abuse of drugs like LSD and cannabis can also contribute to this condition, while family relations and a dysfunctional environment can also lead to this disease.
Types: There are many different kinds of Schizophrenia. One of them is
- Paranoid Schizophrenia, which makes the patient highly suspicious
- Disorganised Schizophrenia can lead to incoherence in speech and thought
- Catatonic Schizophrenia can cause social withdrawal
- Residual Schizophrenia can lead to a complete lack of motivation
- Schizoaffective Disorder can lead to major mood swings.
The various kinds of Schizophrenia are characterised by varying degrees of mood swings, depression, paranoia and delusional thinking. The progression of the disease can be checked with the help of cognitive behavioural therapy which can help in reprogramming the brain of the patient to a great degree. Rehabilitation programs, as well as case management, can help in the long run. But the key here is to recognise the symptoms early on and get the treatment or counselling started to reduce the symptoms and their spread. If you wish to discuss about any specific problem, you can consult a Psychiatrist.
My grand mother all sudden lost the clarity in her speech. She is not able to talk clearly life before, we got it checked from physician he said everything is okay, neurologist gave medicine and we get MRI done, report find some clot. Any one who is familiar with such cases please suggest the duration of treatment.
How to increase concentration in the study. I am not remember after 1 hour of the study N how to remember. please help me out next I am having exam.
I lost somebody close last year and since then feel very depressed and prefer keeping to myself all the time. Please help me.
Borderline personality disorder (BPD) is a type of personality disorder characterized by an ongoing pattern of varying moods, self-image and behaviour. This often results in impulsive actions and problems in relationships and at work. You may experience intense episodes of various emotions like anger, depression and anxiety that may last for a few hours to a few days.
Diagnosis of BPD
If you experience the following 10 symptoms for a long time or if they have had a huge impact on your daily life, you may say that you are suffering from BPD:
- Feeling of being abandoned. You feel that people may abandon you and are constantly worried about that. You would do anything to stop it.
- Frequent mood swings. You experience intense emotions that last from a few hours to a few days. E.g. You suddenly start feeling low and depressed after feeling very happy and confident for a while.
- Lack of identity. You don’t know who you are and do not have a strong sense of your being.
- Unable to sustain relationships. You find it very hard to retain relationships and make new ones.
- You feel empty from within all the time.
- Make impulsive decisions and show sudden reactions. You do things to harm yourself like binge eating, drug abuse or driving dangerously.
- You inflict pain on yourself or have suicidal feelings.
- You have anger issues which are very difficult to control.
- You get paranoid or dissociate when you’re stressed.
- You experience all your emotions very intensely be it anger, happiness or sadness.
Self-Care - How can you help yourself?
If you start feeling overwhelmed, focus on one feeling at a time. It will help channelize your energy and thoughts into finding a solution for that emotion. Different therapies help different people at different times. You are the best judge to decide what benefits you the most.
Follow these tips to get through the various emotions that you may experience.
- When you are angry and frustrated
- Rip a newspaper
- Hit a pillow
- Listen to your favourite music
- Go for a walk or do some vigorous exercise
- When you are depressed and lonely
- Wrap yourself in a blanket and watch your favourite movie or TV show.
- Write all the negative feelings on a piece of paper and tear the paper.
- Use positive affirmations to comfort yourself.
- Cuddle a pillow/pet/soft toy
- When you are tensed and anxious
- When you want to harm yourself
- Rub ice over the parts where you want to hurt yourself.
- Take a cold-water bath to cool yourself.
In case you have a concern or query you can always consult an expert & get answers to your questions!