Lybrate.com has an excellent community of Gynaecologists in India. You will find Gynaecologists with more than 40 years of experience on Lybrate.com. You can find Gynaecologists online in Chennai and from across India. View the profile of medical specialists and their reviews from other patients to make an informed decision.
Book Clinic Appointment with Dr. Raja Lakshmi
Management of Abortion
Caesarean Section Procedure
Treatment Of Female Sexual Problems
Termination Of Pregnancy Procedure
Treatment Of Pregnancy Problems
Well Woman Healthcheck
Treatment Of Female Sexual Problems
Treatment Of Medical Diseases In Pregnancy
Treatment Of Menstrual Problems
Intra-Uterine Insemination (IUI) Treatment
Medical Termination Of Pregnancy (Mtp) Procedure
Gynecology Laparoscopy Procedures
Pap Smear Procedure
Submit a review for Dr. Raja LakshmiYour feedback matters!
Respected mam my sister is pregnant but already she have diabetics and hypertension. Now she is pregnant she having diabetics and hypertension and also have a multiple uterine fibroids in the anterior myometrium and few in the posterior myometrium. What we will do mam and she continued the 9 months she getting any problems.
My periods are coming in time but there is very less flow from 3 months. Also from last 3 months period last for only 3 days. Apart from this I have no problem neither pain nor anything else. What is the reason of it. And what should I do.
I am 25 year old got marriage on may 10th 2015. Till now I didn't get pregnancy. Is there any problems behind that. And I want to know about thyroid.
A dog bite my wife on 2nd august and she received all the 5 vaccines except booster. The last vaccine was given on 19th august. The problem is that that we were physical on 20th and also we had oral sex. I have heard that vaginal secretions still contain rabies virus. Is it so? Am I safe? Do I need to take antirabies vaccine? Please help.
In vitro fertilization (IVF) is a medical procedure that side-steps the sexual act of conceiving and helps infertile couples, conceive a biological child. It involves the manual process of fertilization by combining an egg and sperm in the laboratory and then implanting the embryo into the female to impregnate her.
A number of factors play an important role in the success of the procedure and some of them are:
- Lifestyle habits - Certain lifestyle factors can significantly affect your prospects of getting pregnant through this route. Smoking can reduce your prospect of success using this procedure by about 50%. It can cause you to have lesser number of eggs retrieved during the procedure while increasing instances of miscarriages. Likewise, obesity, alcohol use, consumption of excessive caffeine and drugs can adversely affect your chances of getting pregnant using IVF.
- Embryo status - Embryos that are better developed with good grade stand a higher chance of experiencing success than less developed embryos. More importantly, not every embryo is able to survive the development process.
- The age at which you get pregnant - A factor that plays a role in influencing your chances of experiencing success in your IVF procedure is the age at which you opt for this procedure. The lower your age, the chances that you may get pregnant and deliver a healthy child using your own eggs witness an increase. On the other hand, if you're aged 41 and above, or your egg reserve is very low donor eggs are the most preferred option as they help to increase your prospects of meeting a success.
- Cause of Infertility - If your supply of eggs is normal, success rate using IVF is high. Women who suffer from the problem of endometriosis experience lesser chances of getting pregnant than women who have unexplained fertility.
- Reproductive history - IVF success rate chances are higher if you've delivered a baby previously using IVF.
In case you have a concern or query you can always consult an expert & get answers to your questions!
The success rates of IVF are in the spotlight but there is worry among patients. IVF cycles are extremely costly and so if things don’t work out at one go and women require more cycles for getting the desired success, then that means, you would need to spend a lot.
The problem lies on the fact that clinics are not bound to disclose the kind of success rates they have, so this makes it impossible for anyone to compare each and every clinic. So, how to make sure that you get down to a genuinely good IVF Clinic, where there is surety that going through an IVF cycle would not let your money go in waste.
- Pregnancy against live birth rates: There is a steady decline not only in woman’s fertility but also in the success rates of IVF, as they grow older. In case of almost all clinics, the success rates tend to be on the higher side for those women, who are under the age of 30, with them having 26% chance that they are going to take home a baby after going through each cycle of IVF. On the other hand, those are aged above 40 years have just about 6% chance of getting success and take a baby home. Generally, figures suggest that only half of the pregnancies through IVF, for women above the age bracket of 40 years will lead to live birth. So, it is important to take note, if you see on the website of any clinic that they are showing pregnancy rate rather than live birth rate, most importantly if you are in your 40s. Prospective patients must ask their clinic to disclose the pregnancy rate as well as the live birth success rate for their respective age groups.
- Blastocyst cultures: Another way through which one can easily predict the success of any particular clinic is by seeing whether they use blastocyst culture. The normal tradition was to grow embryos just for a few days till the stage of cleavage but now, the main aim of most treatment is to the growth of embryos for five days till they reach the stage of a blastocyst.
- This is a kind of a situation wherein the best survive till the end and the weaker ones tend to die down. This process of selection makes it easier for embryologists to take the best embryo for transfer, hence leading to better results.
- Sperm injections: Success through IVF is also dependent upon the cause behind infertility. Some male counterparts have really low sperm count and hence require intra-cytoplasmic sperm injection. This leads to injection of an individual sperm into an egg. At times when things are not clear whether a patient would need ICSI, doctor will generally allow half of the eggs to get inseminated through standard process of insemination and the other half would be injected through ICSI. If someone gets enough eggs, then it would surely require to enquired.