Lybrate.com has an excellent community of Ophthalmologists in India. You will find Ophthalmologists with more than 40 years of experience on Lybrate.com. You can find Ophthalmologists online in Chennai and from across India. View the profile of medical specialists and their reviews from other patients to make an informed decision.
Book Clinic Appointment
Eye Muscle Surgeries
Lasik Surgery Treatment
Reduced Vision Treatment
Retina And Lasik Surgery
Treatment of Squint
Visual Field Testing
Age-Related Macular Degeneration Treatment
Diabetic Retinopathy Lasers
Endoscopic Dcr Procedure
Laser Refractive Surgery
Laser Cataract Surgery
While red bloodshot eyes may look worrisome at first sight, it is not a cause of concern all the time. There are benign, short-lasting bouts that will disappear on their own to serious medical reasons that could require intervention.
Listed below are some common causes and ways to manage red eyes.
- Conjunctivitis: The most common cause of red or pink eye is a conjunctivitis infection of the membrane covering the sclera. The blood vessels are irritated and give the eye a red hue. This is contagious and very common in children, needs to be treated with antibiotic drops based on the cause.
- Allergy: Be it pollen, dust, dander, or some other chemicals, eyes could be sensitive to it and get inflamed and take on a red color. This can be treated with a combination of prevention by avoiding exposure to the allergen (which causes the allergy) and some antihistamine drops if required.
- Contact lenses: Extended or improper use of contact lenses is the main reason for red eyes in contact lens users. There is reduced lubrication, increased accumulation of dust and microbes if the lens is not removed at frequent intervals. Removal of the lens and visits to the doctor are important things for managing it.
- Computer Vision Syndrome: With people spending a large amount of time staring at computer screens, tablets and phone screens, the dryness in the eyes increase, thereby, leading to red eyes. The reduced blinking when working on computers also affects the condition. It is therefore very important to take conscious breaks to stare away from the monitors and use special glasses if required. In some cases, eye drops may also be required.
- Occupational Hazard: For people working outdoors, conditions such as dust, heat, smoke, and dry air increase the chances of red eyes. Reducing exposure as much as possible and use of protective eyewear is extremely essential.
- Dry Eye Syndrome: The tear glands are a constant source of lubrication for the eyes and also cleanse the eyes from the minute dust particles and other irritants. For various reasons, the tears produced may not be sufficient and can lead to red eyes. Artificial tear substitute could be used for managing this.
Some benign reasons like swimming, smoking, lack of sleep, pregnancy, common cold also produce bloodshot eyes. On the other hand, corneal ulcer, uveitis, ocular herpes, glaucoma, and other medical conditions could also lead to red eyes.
If it persists for more than 2 days, is painful, and is associated with discharge or sensitivity to light, it is important to seek medical help, especially if associated with injury or trauma.
I can not sit before computer more than 4 hours now a day. I feel very discomfort for ling hours in front of computer. My eyes and my heads get choked. It is hampering my profession. Kindly suggest.
Hey doc :) I have an long site problem when I was 15. So I didn't used any specs yet. So if I not did anything means my eye power will get less or what. How to increase my eye power .except eating carrots?
Your eyes are your gateway to the world. If they are tired, you may not be able to enjoy the many beautiful things around. It may affect your mood as well as your performance at work. Here are some amazing techniques to revive those tired eyes.
1. Ample sleep
Best way to allow your eyes to revive is to regularly get ample sleep for around 7 hours daily. Without proper sleep your eyes will feel tired and stressed. Allow your eyes to rest with regular uninterrupted sleep. Also make sure you wash your eyes before you sleep.
2. Chilled tea bags
Love sipping cups of your favorite tea? don't throw away those used tea bags. Tea is rich in tannins and antioxidants, which have the ability to rejuvenate the eyes once the tea bags are put in the freezer for 4-5 minutes andt then placed on the eyes till their coolness wears.
3. Cold cucumber slices
Cut slices of cucumber, large enough to cover your eyes and place them in refrigerator for some time. Once the slices are cool, place them on your eyes for quick relief. It's an easy and handy remedies for your eyes.
4. Eye bath
Take clean water or a medical eye wash in a bowl. Place the bowl in front of you and slowing try to dip your eyes in the liquid with them being open. It will give your eyes a quick bath, removing dirt and pollutants off your eyes, thus allowing your eyes a perfect environment to recover.
5. Cucumber soaked eye pads
Cucumber soaked eye pads are easy to use and very effective in providing tired eyes the much-needed relief. You can place the pads on your eyes overnight for even better results. It will also reduce the swelling around the eyes.
6. Potato juice
Potatoes can be very effective in curing dark circles and providing quick relief to tired and puffy eyes. Extract juice out of a potato and cool it for a few minutes in the refrigerator. Once cold, apply the juice around your eyes with the help of a cotton swab.
Massage the area around the eyes to improve blood circulation and improve the lymphatic drainage to relieve puffiness around the eyes. Gently massage around your eyes, making gentle circles with your index finger for quick relief.
8. Eye drops
Use an eye drop prescribed by your ophthalmologist to soothe itchy and tired eyes. Do not, however, use an eye drop that has been kept open for long as using one can lead to infections.
Doctor told that dust allergy and he gave me some medicine flumace, carboxymethylcellulose,fluorometholone eye ointment (flurisone) but I put the medicine till one hour I have relief after my eyes will burn and itching start what is the reason.
Too much black spot, dark circles and fine lines I my eyes. What precaution should I do? please help me? Give me your suggestions? Which cream used, how can I make my eyes beautiful?
When I pass stool my eyes are watering or tears run down my cheek. Is something wrong with me. Please advice. than.
I am wearing gLass of power -5 but I have read in many books that in morning if I rub my MOuth saliva in my eyes it will cure IS IT TRUE.
My age 24 years old and have the myopic defective vision of -2.50 from 3years and is constant.(not increasing). But I don't usually wear spectacles at least 5 to 6 hours in a day. Because I feel myself as lazy and disable. So I want to wear contact lenses. Tell me the pros and con's of wearing contact lenses. Is it safe to wear. I desperately need your suggestions.
I have a blur vision in eyes for last 1 month since I changed my spectacles. Consult a doctor many times but got no results. Still feeling the same defect. Let me know if something could be done.
I have problem to see far placed objects not clearly what I should do and concentrated on object tears come in my eyes?
I have red eyes over the week took many medicine but did not improve in my eyes. What should I do. Doc.
Children who were addicted to gadgets get children to play outdoors for an hour. Research studies in Singapore and in China found that children who played outdoors for an hour a day had fewer incidence of myopia compared to children who spent their time indoors with gadgets