Lybrate.com has an excellent community of Endocrinologists in India. You will find Endocrinologists with more than 28 years of experience on Lybrate.com. You can find Endocrinologists online in Chennai and from across India. View the profile of medical specialists and their reviews from other patients to make an informed decision.
Book Clinic Appointment with Dr. R. Ram Kumar
Treatment Of Erectile Dysfunction
Treatment Of Male Sexual Problems
Treatment Of Female Sexual Problems
Thyroid Problems Treatment
Thyroid Disorder Treatment
Diabetic Diet Counseling
Urinary Incontinence (Ui) Treatment
Pre And Post Delivery Care
Sperm Donor Program
Adult Diabetes Treatment
Type 1 Diabetes Treatment
Submit a review for Dr. R. Ram KumarYour feedback matters!
Gestational diabetes is a condition characterized by higher than normal blood sugar levels during pregnancy. The symptoms of this disorder are mild and a blood test has to be conducted as a part of the diagnosis. In all cases, the women should be administered treatment to avoid medical complications associated with it and to be on the safer side. Proper diagnosis is absolutely essential in the case of women with prediabetes or those women who had diabetes prior to pregnancy.
When the insulin receptors fail to function normally, the blood sugar levels may rise. This is known to be one of the causes of gestational diabetes. Post pregnancy, the symptoms of gestations diabetes disappear on their own; however, such patients are an in increased risk of suffering from type 2 diabetes at a later stage. Moreover, children born to mothers with gestations diabetes are at an increased risk of suffering from conditions such as jaundice, diabetes, and certain other health issues.
As a part of gestational diabetes treatment, the expecting mother is advised to consume a nutritious diet, practice a daily exercise regime, and monitor blood sugar levels on a regular basis. Nonetheless, if your blood sugar levels become extremely high, you may be advised to take specific medicines to control it and avoid complications.
The following are some of the treatment methods used to manage gestational diabetes:
- Medical Treatment: Under modern medicine, the patients are prescribed antidiabetic drugs and insulin to keep blood sugar levels within the normal range.
- Natural treatment: Some of the ways to naturally manage gestational diabetes include the following:
- Balanced Diet: According to several research studies, an erratic eating schedule can cause diabetes because the functioning of the body gets disrupted. For this reason, consuming a balanced diet becomes extremely important. In fact, eating small meals at an interval of two to three hours is recommended by the nutritional experts. Consequently, the body becomes accustomed to metabolizing the nutrients and blood sugar imbalances are avoided as well.
- Exercise Regime: If you are suffering from gestational diabetes, then maintaining a regular exercise regime is beneficial. At the start, you can exert the body for 30 minutes and gradually, increase the time limit. Only the low-impact exercises such as swimming and walking are advised. However, be sure to consult your doctor beforehand.
- Fiber-rich Diet: The intake of foods that are rich in fiber such as whole grains and flaxseeds is advised for women with gestational diabetes. This nutrient helps balance the insulin levels within the body by regulating the activity of the insulin receptors. During pregnancy, women are advised to increase their consumption of fiber-rich foods anyway to improve their cardiovascular and digestive health. However, the positive effect of fiber-rich foods on insulin receptors is crucial during the onset of gestational diabetes.
- Additional Dietary Recommendations: During the gestational diabetes recovery period, foods that are sources of vitamin D (such as tofu, salmon, and mushrooms) must be consumed as they foster the growth of healthy bacteria in the gut and helps to have a healthy pregnancy. Other foods that pregnant women with gestational diabetes can benefit from include foods rich in vitamin C and proteins. Also, foods that come under the category of complex carbohydrates must be consumed. Moreover, women with gestations diabetes should abstain from sugar-rich foods.
Conclusion: On a concluding note, you should note that the above treatments for gestational diabetes should be practiced only after a thorough discussion with the doctor. Keep in mind that during pregnancy you have to adopt a precarious approach; by doing so, you can prevent you and your baby from getting adversely affected. In case you have a concern or query you can always consult an expert & get answers to your questions!
My mother is suffering from nerves burning sensation in whole body. What to do to treat this problem? She is also diabetes patient?
I am 62 years old and am suffering from diabetes for the past two years. I am taking glynaze mf as advised by my doctor. Even then i'm not able to keep it under control. I do walking for about 30 minutes every alternate day. Is this I am having severe back pain and pain in my hands. What should I do to control my diabates. Please reply. Thanks.
Infertility in women refers to a condition when a woman fails to conceive in a year, even after having regular sexual intercourse without any contraception. Infertility is caused by a number of reasons or factors. Some of the reasons are listed below:
1. Structural barriers or abnormalities of the reproductive organs of the female
3. Presence of cyst or fibroid in the reproductive organs like ovary and uterus
4. Blocked fallopian tube
5. Inflammatory diseases in the pelvic region.
Homeopathic Treatment for Infertile Women-
Homeopathic treatment for infertility of women is safe for the patient as the medicines are non-toxic and naturally extracted. These medicines can be used for a longer period of time. A homeopath practitioner will take a lot of things into account while treating the patient- like her mental and physical constitution. He or she will try to investigate the underlying causes that are leading to the infertility.
Here are some common medicines, used for the treatment of infertile women:
1. Medicines for patients having acidic vagina: In some females, the vaginal fluids are extremely acidic in nature. Thus, the sperm fails to stay alive under such conditions and travel further up the reproductive tract for fertilisation with ovum. Therefore, the woman fails to conceive. In such cases, borax and Natrum Phos are prescribed for the patient. While Borax is given to females with vaginal discharge similar to the white portion of an egg, Natrum Phos is for women with creamy and honey-coloured discharge.
2. Medicine to cure prolonged periods or Menorrhagia: When a female suffers from prolonged periods, she might turn infertile. Besides, the patient may also suffer from Leucorrhea, anaemia and fatigue. To cure infertility in such cases, two medicines are used- Calcerea Carb and Aletris Farinosa. Women with extremely longer periods are given Calcerea Carb. Women with early menses can take Aletris Farinosa.
3. Medicines for women experiencing shorter periods: Infertility is also caused when the monthly period cycle of the patient is irregular. She may be facing extremely shorter and scanty periods. Under such circumstances, Pulsatilla and Sepia are prescribed for the patient. Sepia is for women who feel a bearing down sensation in the uterus. Pulsatilla is given to women who are facing scanty periods ever since their menarche.
4. Medicine for women with reduced sexual drive: Some women complain of having decreased sexual desire or arousal. Agnus Castus and Sepia are given to such women. Sepia is for female patients who have excessively dry vagina and face pain during intercourse.
My age is 41. I am having heavy bleeding with irregular periods. My doctor suggested me to remove uterus removal and I am suffering with sugar (Diabetes) with PCOD. Suggest me shall I remove uterus at this age, is it preferable.
I am pre-diabetic patient. My fasting sugar level is remaining in the range of 123-127 & PP 156-176 for quite long time. A1c is remaining in the range of 6.3 to 6.8. Should I need to start medicine? My BP, Lipid profile, creatinine normal. Please advise.
It is an established fact that regular physical exercise has wonderful effects on the overall health of a person. People of all ages can reap the benefits of exercise that take manifestation in all the various systems of the human body.
One such healthy effect of exercise is that it can help control blood sugar levels. For those who have been diagnosed with diabetes, exercise works like any other drug in keeping blood glucose at an optimal level. It also helps in preventing further health complications that may be caused by this condition, such as heart disease or strokes.
How does exercise control blood sugar?
Exercise affects the body's blood glucose levels in the following ways:
- Exercising increases insulin sensitivity, which makes the body more capable of using insulin to take up available excess glucose in the bloodstream.
- Muscle contractions during exercise stimulate the cells to use up glucose to produce energy.
- Heightened cardiovascular activity while exercising burns through blood glucose a lot faster.
It is necessary to keep checking blood sugar levels at regular intervals, especially if you suffer from diabetes. Working out has different effects on different individuals, depending on the duration and intensity of exercise and the overall health and medical history of the person.
What are the best ways to use exercise to reduce blood sugar levels?
It is important to chalk out a suitable exercise routine that is tailored specifically to your individual needs. Consult a health care specialist or physical therapist for formulating the best possible workout regime for your specific requirements.
Most experts recommend engaging in moderately intense exercise for a minimum of 150 minutes in a week.
A few examples of activities that fall under this category are as follows:
- Brisk walking
- Squats and lunges
- Stretching exercises
One thing that diabetes patients should always keep in mind is that over-exercising must be avoided. Excessively strenuous workouts can lead to hypoglycemia (deficiency of blood glucose) which is a highly unsavory condition.
Related Tip: Can Exercising Regularly Keep Your Skin Flawless?