Lybrate.com has an excellent community of Oncologists in India. You will find Oncologists with more than 41 years of experience on Lybrate.com. You can find Oncologists online in Chennai and from across India. View the profile of medical specialists and their reviews from other patients to make an informed decision.
Book Clinic Appointment
Submit a review for Dr. R.RajaramYour feedback matters!
1 year before my wife is diagnosed with osteosarcoma in left distal femur her surgery was done on 11th December 2016. Process of surgery is IR RESECTION WITH ECRT after 7 months doctor asked for x-ray in x-ray there is no sign of Union they asked for a surgery again this time the surgery is going to be done is bone grafting at proximal site can you please tell me how this process is done. Please reply soon.
Can a cancer patient consume thin skin fruits like apple, grapes, mango, papaya, pear, peach, cherry, apricot etc. Usually dieticians at Tata Memorial Mumbai advise their patients to keep away from thin skin fruits. Why?
In our modern life, cancer is the most dreaded disease of all. Despite substantial advances in medical science, there hasn't been much of a progress in the treatment available for cancer. The mortality rate for cancer is still on the rise and all this, in spite of all kinds of sophisticated treatments at our disposal.
Cancer is rather a torturous experience, not merely on account of the terminal consequence, but also of the extreme physical and emotional suffering that one has to endure. What's worse is that often all the efforts are rendered vain. In that context, a large number of people have started looking towards alternative therapies as a cure for cancer. Serious forms of cancers like blood cancer or leukemia are often formidable and do not respond favourably to the clinical treatments. Consequently, despite all attempts and humongous investments, the casualties are on the rise. To counter such threats, people are growingly moving towards alternative remedies. Among the other natural cures, Ayurveda has garnered a lot of interest and approval.
Ayurveda has devised a holistic process that potentially cures you of blood cancer and endows you with a fresh leash of life. As per Ayurveda, the main causes of cancer may be enumerated as genetic imbalances, exposure to harmful radiation, stressful and unhealthy lifestyle and consumption of degenerating food items. As such, Ayurveda tries to heal not just the disease but also the germ of the disease and in the process, improves your well-being.
Ayurveda grapples with blood cancer in the following ways:
- Adjuvant to ongoing treatment: You may be skeptical of depending entirely on Ayurveda as a remedy for cancer. As such, Ayurvedic treatments may be used as ancillaries alongside the ongoing chemotherapy and radiology. Ayurveda stimulates your in built immunity and thus prolongs and rejuvenates your lifespan. That aside, the natural benefits that Ayurveda provides your body reduce the side effects of chemotherapy and help in complete remission of the disease.
- Rasashastra: Ayurveda deems the imbalance in your genetic code to be the main cause of cancer. Therefore, it believes that remedy lies in 'pitta' restoration. Under this treatment, Ayurveda uses a combination of metals vis-a-vis the purest elements to minimize the deterioration of the condition. A unique combination of silver, gold and other essential minerals can be wondrous to boost the immunity of the cells and restore the normal cell production rate in your marrows. This goes a long way in obliterating the damage caused by blood cancer.
- The right diet: Consuming the most favourable foods are essential while battling cancer. An alkaline diet comprising of coconut water, warm, fresh nutritious food like leafy greens, apples and nuts must be regularly consumed. Greasy, spicy and lavish dishes should be avoided since they are known to generate harmful 'ama' in your body. If you wish to discuss about any specific problem, you can consult an Ayurveda.
Sir, I want to know that one of my friend is having a lump on her right breast and she is just 22 year old, kindly suggest me what to do.
Whether you consider tomato as a fruit or vegetable, it has a lot of benefits that can make a person healthier and fit. It is usually regarded as a salad that you may or may not want to eat as compared to other vegetables. Tomatoes, because of their helpful phytochemicals, such as lycopene, help in preventing a number of cancers and convey other medical advantages as well. Hence, following are the benefits of a tomato:
- Prevents cancer: As a magnificent source of vitamin C and different cell reinforcements, tomatoes can battle the development of abnormal cells that causes cancer. Lycopene has been connected with prostate tumour prevention. Epidemiologists recommend the consumption of tomato as it helps lower the possibility of prostate cancer. High fibre content of beta-carotene in fruits and vegetables has been proven to bring down the risk of colorectal cancer to a great extent.
- Blood pressure: Low sodium consumption keeps circulatory strain solid. Tomatoes are rich in potassium that helps in the same.
- Heart’s well-being: The fibre, potassium, vitamin C and choline content in tomatoes all bolster the heart’s well-being. An expansion in potassium as well as a reduction in sodium is the most essential dietary change that an individual can make to lessen their danger of cardiovascular diseases. Tomatoes additionally contain folic corrosive, which keeps the homocysteine levels under control. It reduces the risk of heart diseases.
- Diabetes: Tomatoes help bring down the blood sugar level in people with type1 diabetes. Whereas, people with type 2 diabetes may have enhanced glucose, lipids and insulin levels. One measure of cherry tomatoes gives around 2 grams of fibre and helps them keep their levels neutralized.
- Constipation: Eating foods that are high in water substance and fibre like tomatoes can help with hydration and advance normal solid discharges. Fibre adds mass to stool and is important for bowel movement.
- Eye health: Tomatoes are a rich sources of lycopene, lutein and beta-carotene, which are intense cancer prevention agents. They have been helpful in protecting the eyes against harm related to the advancement of age-related macular degeneration (AMD).
- Skin: Collagen, a fundamental part of the skin, hair, nails and connective tissue, is dependent on vitamin C. An inadequacy of vitamin C leads to certain skin problems. As vitamin C is a capable cancer prevention agent, a low intake can affect the skin and cause harm from UV rays, infections and smoke. This usually results in wrinkles, hanging skin, blemishes and other antagonistic skin diseases.
- Pregnancy: A good amount of folic acid needs to be present before and during pregnancy to ensure the infants good health inside the mother’s womb. This can be found in tomatoes. If you wish to discuss about any specific problem, you can consult an Ayurveda.
I am 22 years female and recently found their is a lump in my left breast nd went through memography and fna and it reported as fibroadenomas of 3.60 cm as I could feel it clearly. Doctor adviced me to go for surgery. Now I cannot feel the lump in my self examination it is about less than 1cm now, is it going to shrink? will there be any symptoms.
I am in 3rd stage of CA cancer. Have gone through 4 chemotherapy treatment but their is no change. Doctors suggested me for operation. But they are not giving any assurance for the operation. Can you please help me out.
1. Problems When You Pee
Many men have some problems peeing as they get older, like:
A need to pee more often, especially at night
Dribbling, leaking, or an urgent need to go
Trouble starting to pee, or a weak stream
An enlarged prostate gland usually causes these symptoms, but so can prostate cancer. See your doctor to check on the cause of the problem. He?ll give you an exam to look for an enlarged prostate, and he may talk to you about a blood test (called a PSA test) for prostate cancer.
2. Changes in Your Testicles
"If you notice a lump, heaviness, or any other change in your testicle, never delay having it looked at.
"Unlike prostate cancer, which grows slowly, testicular cancer can take off overnight" Your doctor will look for any problems with a physical exam, blood tests, and an ultrasound of your scrotum.
3. Blood in Your Pee or Stool
These can be among the first signs of cancer of the bladder, kidneys, or colon. It's a good idea to see your doctor for any bleeding that?s not normal, even if you don't have other symptoms,
Although you're more likely to have a problem that's not cancer, like haemorrhoids or a urinary infection, it's important to find and treat the cause.
4) Breast Changes
"Men tend to ignore breast lumps because breast cancer isn't on their radar"
"But 1% of all breast cancers occur in men, although they're usually diagnosed much later" Don?t take any chances. If you find a lump, tell your doctor and have it checked.
I had throat infection, cold and fever. When I cough I got single drop of blood. I showed doctor, he told nothing to worry, after 2 days it again happened when I drunk hot lemon tea and water. Is this lung cancer? I am passive smoker because of my friends. Is there anything worry? Please help me out. Thanks in advance.
Soy protein has been used from past two decades as ingredients for its functional properties in a variety of foods such as salad dressings, soups, vegetarian foods and meat imitations. Its functional properties are emulsification and texturizing. Recently the popularity of soy protein is increasing, mainly because of its health benefits. It has been proven that soy protein can help to prevent heart problems and many countries allow health claims for food, which are rich in soy protein.
Soy contains protein, isoflavones, and fiber, all thought to provide health benefits. Soy is an excellent source of dietary protein, including all essential amino acids. Soy is also a source of lecithin or phospholipid. Soy isoflavones and lecithin have been studied scientifically for numerous health conditions. Isoflavones such as genistein are believed to have estrogen-like effects in the body, and as a result are sometimes called "phytoestrogens"
Common sources of soy isoflavones include roasted soybean, green soybean, soy flour, soy butter, soy nut butter, soy ice cream, soy milk, soy yogurt, soy noodles etc. Soy protein has also been investigated for benefit in terms of heart disease risk factors, reducing menopausal symptoms, weight loss, arthritis, brain function, and exercise performance.
Dietary soy may decrease the risk of breast cancer in women and prostate cancer in men, as well as other types of cancers. In general, the supportive evidence for use of phytoestrogens as treatments for menopause, heart disease, bone disease, weight loss, and cancer is limited. The use of soy formula has been investigated in the treatment of diarrhea in infants and is an effective and safe alternative to cow's milk formula in most infants.
Is it possible to reduce the growth of cancer cells or to kill the cancer cells through ayurvedic remedies if yes then what are these.
In daily routine I used to drink 1.5 liter water in morning 7: 45AM and the reach office after 9: 30AM I again started drinking small amount of water and and I start urinating. In morning urination from 10 to 13 I need to push little more to urinate out but in evening it become normal to urinate. I want confirm that what could be the cause of extra push to urinate out. Is it because of prostate enlargement, if yes then what test I should go for to confirm.
I have pain under my right breast. It became worst while taking deep breath or changing positions while sleeping. And also pain starts at the middle. Does this pain relates to ribs or sternum. What it is. Is it serious. Please advice..
Found a bean shaped mass on the right side of the soft palate between two mucosal skins/linings. That mass is visible when I open my mouth wide open and use a flashlight. Also I feel something is always stuck in my throat. I do not know if that mass is a tonsil or anything else. google up the symptoms and as obvious it showed mouth cancer. Been greatly worried about this. There is no pain or anything. Just got out of a really long cough and cold phase which lasted a little over two weeks. With the above mentioned description please give me an idea of what could it be. Is it really cancer?
My grandfather who is 75 years old is suffering from esophageal cancer which has been detected recently. According to the doctor he is in the stage iii of the disease. Is there any chance of survival? We want to know details of experts in Guwahati. Please guide us.
What are the symptoms of skin cancer. If a person suffer from the skin cancer. How can he will be safe from the skin cancer and what is the limit of the skin cancer.
Lung cancer is also known as pulmonary carcinoma or cancer of the lung. It occurs when DNA mutations develop in the cells/ tissues of the lungs leading up to uncontrolled growth in the tissues of the lung. By far, it is known to be the most common cancer in Asia.
1. Type: lung cancers can present as one of the following types:
- Non-Small Cell Lung Cancer (NSCLC): Most common type of lung cancer and constitutes nearly 85% of all lung cancers. The sub-types of NSCLC are as follows:
- Large cell carcinoma
- Squamous cell carcinoma (SqCC) (Epidermoid)
- Adenocarcinoma – accounts for majority of the NSCLC.
- Small Cell Lung Cancer (SCLC): It is also known as oat meal cancer and tends to spread (metastasize) quickly. This constitutes about 15% of the lung cancers.
- Mesothelioma: It is a rare cancer that develops in the mesothelial cells of the pleural or peritoneal surfaces. It usually arises in the pleural membrane lining the lungs, known as pleural mesothelioma. One that arises from the peritoneum is called the peritoneal mesothelioma and the one that arises from the pericardium is known as pericardial mesothelioma. Lastly, it can also arise from the tunica vaginalis known as testicular mesothelioma. People working with or prior exposure to asbestos are mostly at risk of developing mesothelioma. The latency period between time of exposure and development of mesothelioma can be somewhere between 20 to 40 years. Maximum of the patients who develop mesothelioma are men.
2. Gender: It affects the male populace predominantly. It is more common in men than in women and in those of lower economic status. However, the incidence of lung cancer, in women too, is on the rise of late.
3. Etiology: Cigarette/ Tobacco smoking remains the most important cause of lung cancer accounting for 85 – 90% of the cases. Incidence/ risk is proportionate to the number of cigarettes smoked irrespective of the age. Also, environmental toxins including smoke from burning black tar, exhaust gases from automobiles etc. too contribute actively to various lung diseases including cancer. People working in asbestos manufacturing factories who are exposed to asbestos dust are also likely to get lung cancer. Tuberculosis too is an additive risk factor. Again, people who have received ionizing radiation especially to treat Hodgkin Lymphoma or other malignancies also run the risk of developing lung cancer. Above-mentioned causes apart, genetic factors may also play a role.
4. Features: Lung cancer clinically presents in the following ways mainly.Signs & symptoms of malignant mesothelioma are as enumerated below
1. Difficult/ labored breathing (Dyspnea)
2. Chest pain
3. Palpable chest wall mass
4. Discordant chest wall expansion
5. Weight loss (Cachexia)
6. Loss of appetite (Anorexia)
7. Night sweats
Signs & symptoms of non-small cell lung cancer (NSCLC) are as enumerated below. Majority of patients are symptomatic at diagnosis
8. Chronic cough
9. Difficult/ labored breathing (Dyspnea)
10. Chest pain
11. Blood stained sputum (Hemoptysis)
13. Weight loss (Cachexia)
14. Loss of appetite (Anorexia)
16. Bone pain
17. Pleural or pericardial effusion
18. Superior vena cava syndrome
19. Brachial plexopathy
20. Neurologic pain
21. Hypercalcemia of malignancy
Signs & symptoms of small cell lung cancer (SCLC) are as enumerated below
Symptoms as per the points 8 – 18 depicted above for NSCLC are applicable for SCLC as well. Additionally, patients suffering from SCLC may have:
23. Horner syndrome
5. Screening: is generally recommended for asymptomatic/ symptomatic populations as surveillance for high risk individuals – who are either current or former smokers (quit smoking within the last 15 years), have at least a 30 pack year smoking history and those who do not have any prior history of lung cancer. The goal of screening, as usual, is to be able to detect & diagnose lung cancer at an early stage which is potentially curable. It is mostly radiologic with a low dose helical computed tomography (CT) scan being more effective in detecting early stage lung cancer than a chest radiograph can.
6. Diagnosis: Abnormal blood test results may be indicative of malignancy, but a follow up imaging/ biopsy is always the gold standard for accurate diagnosis. Following are the diagnostics employed mainly:
- Blood: Hb may be low, TLC, ESR and polymorphs increased. Adenocarcinomas are likely to express thyroid transcription factor 1 (TTF-1) or carcinoembyonic antigen (CEA). On the other hand, mesotheliomas are likely to express Wilms Tumor -1 (WT-1) protein and Calretinin.
- Imaging: Thoracoscopy, Bronchoscopy, X-Ray, CT Scan etc all. Positron Emission Tomography (PET) / CT scan and Magnetic Resonance Imaging (MRI) scan help detect metastasis, if any.
- Biopsy: It clinches the histologic diagnosis, and the nature of the disease.
7. Treatment: Conventional treatment includes surgery, chemotherapy and radiotherapy as contextually appropriate. Simultaneously, an adjunctive or integrative naturopathic treatment with suitable complementary & alternative medicines (CAM) too can help improve clinical outcomes and facilitate recovery as would be feasible contextually.
8. Prognosis: preventive measures, earlier diagnosis and right early treatment is key for an effective therapeutic management & better prognosis. Like most other cancers, the chances of cure for an early stage lung cancer are more. The cure/ recovery chances are influenced by the grade, stage of cancer, recurrence and the patient’s general health & vitality etc all. The primary determinant of prognosis in NSCLC is the stage at which the cancer is diagnosed. For non-metastatic cancers, however, it is the nodal status that determines the stage and hence the prognosis.
9. Prevention: rightly said, prevention is always a better choice. Cigarette smoking is to be avoided by all means as it is the single major cause of lung cancer. Even exposure to cigarette smoke (passive or secondhand) is also an established cause of lung cancer and is known to increase the risk of lung cancer in non-smokers as well. Preventing exposure to secondhand smoke can be helpful in decreasing the incidence and mortality from primary lung cancers. Above-mentioned apart, other important risk factors such as exposure to ionizing radiation, environmental carcinogens like smoke from burning black tar, exhaust gases from automobiles, outdoor air pollution, and occupational exposure to asbestos, arsenic, beryllium, nickel, cadmium, chromium etc all too are known to increase the risk for lung cancer and mortality thereof. In fact, cigarette smoking is known to potentiate the effect and hence the lung cancer risk of many of the above-mentioned carcinogens, multi-fold, in smokers. Thus, either eliminating or reducing the exposure to the above-mentioned carcinogens can lead to a decrease in the risk of lung cancer and incidences thereof. Furthermore, randomized clinical trials indicate that high intensity smokers (only) who take supplementation of beta-carotene have an increased risk/ incidence of lung cancer. Vitamin E supplementation, on the other hand, does not affect the risk of lung cancer as indicated by the trials. If you wish to discuss about any specific problem, you can consult a doctor.