Lybrate.com has an excellent community of Psychiatrists in India. You will find Psychiatrists with more than 28 years of experience on Lybrate.com. You can find Psychiatrists online in Chennai and from across India. View the profile of medical specialists and their reviews from other patients to make an informed decision.
Book Clinic Appointment
Treatment & Management of Stress
Treatment of Mood Disorder
Treatment Of Male Sexual Problems
Sex Addiction Counselling
Treatment Of Female Sexual Problems
Anger Management Therapy
Treatment of Behaviour & Thought Problems
Quit Smoking Techniques
Cognitive Behavioral Therapy
Memory Improvement Techniques
Obsessive Compulsive Disorder Treatment
Treatment of Abnormal Behaviour
Psychological Diagnosis (Adult And Child)
Submit a review for Dr. R.ManiYour feedback matters!
I feel lonely a lot hav no one aa family and at times feel very alone moreover feel sad and cry a lot whn alone no one to talk to. Why am I feeling such am I too much depressed what should I do to come out of it.
I am 20 year old guy and I feel stressed with no reason behind I don't understand what is been happening to me and sometimes I feel very alone I feel like I should quit this exhausting life. Please help me.
While many of us may feel the pressure of appearing in large social gatherings, there are those who feel positively crippled at the very thought of showing up and interacting with many people at a time. There is a difference between the two scenarios where one may down to an introverted nature, and the other may be a symptom of a greater problem like social anxiety disorder. So what exactly is this condition all about? Here is everything you need to know!
Definition: By definition, social anxiety disorder is marked with many issues including the feeling of pressing self-consciousness, as well as anxiety, fear and embarrassment. All of these may be caused in the natural course of everyday interactions as well. It is a condition where the patient cannot cope with normal interactions without the support of medication and therapy.
Symptoms: There are a number of symptoms which can help in recognizing this condition. Constant worry and concern that one may end up humiliated on a public platform or while having the most mundane discussions at work or at a party, is one of the most pressing symptoms of this condition. Further, the patient will also be fearful of offending people he or she may be interacting with. Also, after an interaction or presence at a gathering, one may sit down to analyze the performance in great detail and be constantly critical of the same. Anxiety may also make the patient avoid any kind of social situation in extreme cases.
Causes: There are a number of things that may cause such a condition. The genetic makeup of the patient may make this an inherited condition that may happen if there were one or more people in the direct family who were suffering from this condition. Also, it may be caused due to changes in the amygdala, which is the part of the brain that controls one’s responses to fear. A person with an overactive amygdala may end up feeling more scared than normal of the most everyday things. Social anxiety disorder can also be a learned behaviour which may come up due to environmental issues like being reared by parents who have been severely overprotective of their children.
Treatment: There are many ways of treating this condition. To begin with, one can turn to psychotherapy. With the help of such therapy, the symptoms can be handled with the help of proper discussions and the programming of new ideas into the brain so that the fear and anxiety gradually recede. Cognitive behavioural therapy is one of the most favoured forms of therapy that psychiatrists consider in such cases. Medication like norepinephrine reuptake inhibitors may also be prescribed for the patient so as to control the amygdala. Further, one may also have to sue antidepressants prescribed by a medical practitioner so as to deal with the anxiety and fear on an everyday basis. Also, one may use beta blockers that affect the way adrenaline functions, by curbing the excess production of the same. If you wish to discuss about any specific problem, you can consult a Psychiatrist.
I have problem of phobia and fear, my thoughts come mostly negative, I goes to depression suggest cure.
I am having problems in being confident about myself it's like always running away from everything, every opportunities it's affecting my studies.
I am feeling depressed for my study pressure n even I need to get a job. I am suffering in insomnia. Please help me.
Sir I have a problem in concentration during study. So please tell me the way to gain of concentration back.
You might be feeling that spending time on any social media network is a simple way to pass time and is a common habit. But a recent study by University of Chicago Booth School of Business says that social networking sites can be more addictive, than alcohol. The desire to consume alcohol can be controlled and turned down, but the desire to check Facebook is simply uncontrollable for most people, and it’s a serious addiction.
About the study
The ground breaking study was done on 250 people in and around Germany aged between 18 and 85 years of age. They were sent messages at specific intervals to report their desires and cravings. It is found that most people had the desire to sleep and have sex during the day that they were able to control. But the desire for checking Facebook was much higher.
Reasons for Facebook addiction
- One of the major reasons is that availability of Facebook is much easier and higher than alcohol availability.
- Also, it is thought that the cost of checking Facebook is much less than consuming some amount of alcohol on a regular basis.
- Even if a man wants to resist his desire, but due to easy availability and lesser cost, he is prone to use it again and again.
- Alcohol consumption is prohibited in public and during office hours in many countries. But checking Facebook updates have no restrictions. People can check it whenever they feel the desire.
- The most shocking part is the urges drove the people to such an extent, that they couldn’t even resist themselves even if they wanted to do so.
Effects of Facebook addiction
- Drainage of time: No matter how good we feel while checking Facebook updates, can you deny that it’s simply a waste of time?
- Self esteem reduced: When you see your peers enjoying their life with flying colors, no wonder you will feel depressed. But we are reluctant to believe this fact, that nobody shows his tragic part of life on Facebook. So, whom you think is the happiest person in the world, may be the saddest and is drowned in his own miseries.
Remedy of this so called addiction
The study says that when we are much worn out, we are unable to control our desire and our will power is depleted.
So, if you find yourself posting your status on Facebook at the midnight instead of sleeping, then it is high time you should try to come out of this addiction and give yourself a better life and health. If you wish to discuss about any specific problem, you can consult a psychologist.
HI All, I had a sex with condom but I am getting lot of tension. Almost 2 months happen which are the test I need to undergone through check hiv. Please tell me.
I am 23 year old and I have a bad habit of drinking, I want to leave that bad habit but not happen. so please give me some suggestion.
I am engineering student now and when i was in 10th standard i shaved my eyebroos because my eyebroos were joint,and my friends teased me and condemned me like anything so i hated them and fought with them and i felt very angry.Then my anger grew and i fought with everyone and i hated everyone,and i got tensesd,worried becas they called me eyebroos.I,worried and depressed.I bacame tensed,fearfull, and i have memory loss.Now how can i improve my memory?
Having a healthy brain is equally important as is staying physically fit. Good mental health is absolutely essential. Apart from regular exercises there are certain foods also which can help you to maintain good mental health. Below mentioned are few foods, essential for having a healthy brain:
- Include Fish in your Diet: If you are a non- vegetarian then include oily fishes like salmon, sardines in your diet. These fishes are replete with omega-3 fatty acids, DHA and EPA. All these are essential for the brain to function efficiently.
- Munch on Nuts: Nuts are rich sources of Vitamin E. Vitamin E can help you prevent your brain from Alzheimer’s disease. Nuts are also beneficial for elderly people and can help them combat the problem of memory loss.
- Keep Preparations with Green Leafy Vegetables on your Menu: Vegetables like cabbage; broccoli is abundant in anti-oxidants. Broccoli is also a good supplement for Vitamin K. These help to develop your memory and also keep brain diseases like Alzheimer's, Dementia at bay.
- Have a Sweet Tooth for Blueberries: This fruit is rich in anti oxidants, vitamin C and K. It helps to deal with problems like memory loss, Alzheimer's and Dementia.
- Add Eggs to your Breakfast Menu: Eggs are rich in choline and also protein. It acts as a very good food for developing a healthy brain.
- Get Addicted to Avocadoes: Avocadoes help to tackle problems like hypertension, blood pressure and also help in smooth flowing of blood. They also contain Vitamin K and C which help in memory development.
- Go for Whole Grains: Whole grains like wheat flour, flour, oatmeal provide energy to your brain. They supply glucose and are thus considered to be very good brain foods.
The above mentioned foods are easily available and can help you to develop a healthy brain. If you wish to discuss about any specific problem, you can consult a doctor and ask a free question.