Find numerous Orthopedists in India from the comfort of your home on Lybrate.com. You will find Orthopedists with more than 27 years of experience on Lybrate.com. Find the best Orthopedists online in Chennai. View the profile of medical specialists and their reviews from other patients to make an informed decision.
Book Clinic Appointment
Back Pain Treatment
Treatment of Joint Pain
Treatment of Leg Pain
Treatment of Knee Pain
Treatment of Hand Pain
Treatment of Shoulder Pain
Treatment of Foot Pain
Treatment of Lower Back Pain
Treatment of Bone Fracture
Treatment of Arm Pain
Knee Pain Treatment
Treatment of Finger Pain
Treatment of Hip Pain
Treatment of Heel Pain
Spinal Surgery Disorders
Treatment of Elbow Pain
Treatment of Spondylitis
Treatment of Strains
Treatment of Slip Disc
Treatment of Ankle Sprain
Submit a review for Dr. R. Karu Shanmuga KarthikeyanYour feedback matters!
I have a severe Back pain for past one month with an eye pain and vomiting sensation? What may be the cause for it?
Hi I am 25 year old and I go gym regularly or do running. But since long I am having pain on my Shin bone and near knee joints. And it increase if I do regularly treadmill or running.
I am a 32 year male and have root nurve compression between c5-c6 for last 6 months. What should I do?
I am 56+ years old Suffering with diabetic. Fasting sugar 185 and after 265. Every day 1 km. And also suffering with knee pains. What can I do
The back of my legs have been hurting for 2 days now and the pain in both legs Started yesterday and I didn't fall or anything. Yesterday it was hurting for me to walk. I don't know what's going on.
With changing lifestyles, the small household chores have become the workouts for most of us. When not done properly, however, these cause more harm than good. The spine often bears the brunt of this damage. Read on to know if you are damaging your spine on a daily basis. If yes, time to change the way you do these activities.
- Carrying shopping bags: While two bags might look more expensive, carrying one bag tilts the weight to one side and causes the spine to bend. Instead, opt for two small bags, and this weight distribution is friendly on the spine.
- Cleaning the floor: Either sit down completely or stand and use a mop. Never bend down and try to clean the floor with a cloth. The spine posture created during this is very unhealthy and puts pressure on the spine.
- Tying up shoe laces: While it is difficult to sit down and tie the shoe laces, it is definitely worth the effort. Bending down and tying is harmful to the spine posture, and when repeatedly done, can be damaging in the long run.
- Washing vessels: Bending and washing vessels is a strict no-no. It puts too much pressure on the back and the disk wears out faster. Try standing and keep a stool at knee level, on which you can rest the knee. Take turns to do this on the right and left knee.
- At the washbasin: Bending down to brush the teeth or wash face is bad on the spine. Over a long period, this can put lot of strain on the spine. Try to rest your hand on the wall or the sink and see the pressure on the spine reduce.
- Office/school bags: It is very easy to sling a bag onto the shoulder and go on. The bag could contain books of a school kid or laptop of an office goer, whatever may be the situation, this puts uneven pressure on the back and can cause shoulder and spine issues. Always try to put the bag on both your shoulders. This distributes the weight and makes it easy on your shoulders and spine. Especially for people who are going to do some walking with the bag, it is definitely not advisable to carry it on one side.
- Sitting: For those who end up sitting for long hours, there is too much stress on the back and so support is advisable. Take short breaks and avoid sitting for more than an hour at a stretch.
- Bad mattress: While a soft mattress is very inviting, it does not support the spine and does not leave you fresh in the morning. Choose a mattress that supports the spine and see the difference. If you wish to discuss about any specific problem, you can consult a General Physician.
I am 19yr female. I had a minor toe fracture in my leg. 3weeks I kept plaster in my leg and even bnd tape on dat finger. Its 3 and half week and that finger have little pain. please suggest me what shud I do shud a tape it again. My calcium tablets are still going on but I have no proper advice from any doctor please help.
When I walk some distance .my knees are paining and also my foot .why and what should I do to reduce this pain.
I am suffering from VKH syndrome since 2009 and has been under treatment with Steroids (tapering doses) and MMF. Due its recurring nature I was taking these medicines MMF & Prednisolone tab. Now after taking them continuously from 15.12.2014, the doctor has advised me to stop taking prednisolone while continuing 1 tab of MMF (Cellcept 500 mg). Due to the consumption of Steroid (Prednisolone) I have Drug induced DM and is taking insulin (Human Mixtard 50/50) -22 units (16-0-6). For the last few days I find that I have sever pain on my shoulder with right hand elbow paining as if of Tennis Elbow. Both sides of the arms just below the shoulders ache severely some times, some times there is numbness at times pain. Can anybody guide to get rid of these pains please.
My grandmom had fever for two days now temperature in low but she is suffer extreme pain on leg joint she could barely walk and balance herself she can not walk and is sleepless I am worried.
I am a 27 years old lady. I am suffering from joint pain since long time. Please suggest me what should I do?
My mom has high diabetes which is under control but she is suffering from shoulder pain. Can you help me.
I am feeling pain in my left hand for 2 days in two or three months. The pain is unbearable. Do you know why its paining and what should I do for this?
I have neck pain and observed that C5 and C6 bone prolapse. Kindly advice if proper exercise Nd over work Nd pressure is prevented whether it ll be resolved.
I am type 1 diabetic why my feet plam pained after playing football or while standing long time. Some time its also swelled.
The Anterior Cruciate Ligament or ACL tear is a very common problem with athletes and with people who have an active lifestyle. In fact, this can also be caused by any accident due to sudden movement.
Importance of ACL-
The ACL is the supporting ligament, which runs diagonally from back to front right in the middle of the knee, connecting the femur bone and the tibia, and helps the tibia not to come before the femur. Thus the balance of the knee during back and forth movements and the entire stability of the knee joint is secured by this very important piece of ligament.
What leads to an injury to the ACL?
Here are a few actions that may result in a ligament tear.
Sudden stopping while running or slowing down from a fast speed
Sudden change in direction
Uncontrolled jumping from a height
Direct hitting with an object or person
What happens when the ACL is torn?
If the ACL is torn, the stability of your knee is gone, and you feel as if you have no control over the joint. Moreover, it causes extreme pain and instant swelling. Swelling usually appears within 24 hours of the injury.
Treatment of ACL Injury-
Recovery from an ACL tear is possible only after a surgery. Without surgery, the affected will not be able to return to sports or athletics, or may not be able to run and make swift movements again as before. However, to avoid surgery, there are non-invasive treatments for the aged and people who require moving less.
Non-invasive Treatment: Bracing is one treatment where braces are given to support the knee joint during movement and also to avoid further injury. This is effective for the elderly who need minimum movement and may manage daily activities with a braced knee. Also, crutches add to the support and let the weaker knee get rest. This is followed by physical therapy. But the swelling has to reduce before starting it. Many exercises and controlled movements over a long time help in getting back agility in movement gradually.
- Surgical Treatment: Once the swelling subsides, doctors would plan for an Arthroscopic (Key-Hole Surgery) ACL reconstruction. In this Doctor make a graft of a tendon. This graft is inserted into the joint and fixed in anatomical position in femur and tibia Arthroscopically so that the newly created ACL functions like the natural one. This is the only way to get back the ligament in whole as the torn ligament cannot be stitched. Surgery is done through arthroscope and recovery time is 15 days for resuming day to day activities and 3 to 6 month for resuming sports activities with continued physical therapy after the surgery. If you wish to discuss about any specific problem, you can consult an Orthopedist.