Lybrate.com has an excellent community of Pediatricians in India. You will find Pediatricians with more than 40 years of experience on Lybrate.com. You can find Pediatricians online in Chennai and from across India. View the profile of medical specialists and their reviews from other patients to make an informed decision.
Book Clinic Appointment
Treatment of Child and Adolescent Problems
Thyroid Problems Treatment
Thyroid Disorder Treatment
Paediatric Critical Care
Treatment of Childhood Infections
Child Nutrition Management
Growth And Development Including General Paediatri
Management of New Born Care
Preimplantation Genetic Diagnosis (Pgd)
Congenital Ear Problem Treatment
Treatment of Polycystic Ovary Syndrome In Adolesce
Treatment of Thyroid Disease in Children
Cleft Lip Treatment
Submit a review for Dr. R.ArvindkumarYour feedback matters!
My baby girl is 12 months old. From two days onwards her palm and head is became very hot but no any other parts of body. I gave her the paracetamol oral solution. But there is no change in temperature. Why it is doctor?
My 3 year old is sick with a temperature of 100 Degrees she can not keep anything down including Liquids. What should I do?
My son is suffering from typhoid. Its been 17 days he suffers a fever of 102 - 104 three times a day. Have consulted the doctors but didn't find any cure for my son. Is there any medicine available in the market so that it could stop the daily suffering of my son? My son is 3 years old.
My 13 month baby girl vomiting curd like milk during/after feeding milk. She has slight fever. Suggest possible reasons & treatment.
Hi. My baby girl is 6 months old. She is not going to anyone except me (mom) and her dad. Not even going with her grandparents or any of our close relatives. She cries immediately and crying very hard if someone held up her. I was not able to take care all the time, but she is not happy with another. Please advise if this baby behaviour will change or not?
My baby is of 4 months he didn't did the potty from last two days wat is the reason what should I do? He is also not taking feed in good quantity.
Hello Friends, I’m Dr.Vikas Deshmukh. I’m a neuro-psychiatrist and sexologist working in Navi Mumbai, Vashi area. So today, we are going to talk about ADHD.
So, what exactly is ADHD and why is it important to you?
ADHD means Attention Deficit Hyperactivity Disorder. So the name itself is self explanatory. So in ADHD there are three major components. One, is inattention. Other is hyperactivity and the last is, impulsivity. Early diagnosis and management of ADHD is very important or else it can ruin your child’s academic or career. So the first symptom of ADHD is inattention. Inattention is not noticeable until the child goes to school.
Most of the time inattention could be neglected at home. In inattention the child might be procrastinating the things, not completing the task, switching from one uncompleted task to another uncompleted task, unable to complete both the tasks. So symptoms can be disorganized, bahut messy rahega child, bilkul he cheezein yahan wahan padi hui hai, systematically kuch dhang se kaam nahi ho pa raha hai use. Then he is not able to focus on certain topic. Teacher padha rahi hai toh ye choti si awaz aayegi toh uska dhyaan wahan jayega, teacher jo padha rahi hai who likh nahi payega theek se, small small mistakes he’ll make, likhte hue bhi ek word gayab ho jayega, ek word mein kahin ek letter gayab ho jayega, kabhi kabhi cheexein bhool kar aane – bhoolna, forgetfulness is also a very common symptom. Pen bhoolke aayega, pencil bhool ke aayega, eraser bhool ke aayega, kabhi kabhi tiffin, kabhi water bottle bhool kar aayega. This is very common.
- Inattentiveness mein ek aur bhi chhez hai jaise ki aap usko bulaoge toh ek baar mein woh aapke taraf dhyaan nahi de payega. You have to call him multiple times. “Arre beta mein ne kitni baar bola, kitni baar mein aap ko yeh sab sunaya. Agar usko aap kuch kaam bolte ho, jaise teen se chaar cheezein ek saath bolte ho toh who saare teen chaar kaam ek saath dhyaan mein nahi rakh pata hai. Koi na koi cheez hundred percent bhoolega. Yeh inattention mein bahut common hai.
- Second one is hyperactivity. Hyperactivity mein child is very hyper, not able to sit in one place, constant fidgeting, squirming in their seat, fidgeting means kuch na kuch movement chalu rahega – haath ka, per ka, kuch na kuch – bina hile beth nahi sakta baccha. Isko bolte hai constant fidgeting and squirming in the seat. Kuch nahi rahega toh seat pe he idhar udhar apne aap mein hona. Yeh sab who baccha aapko karte hue dikhai dega. Hyperactivity mein aur ek cheez, you feel as if uss ke andar motor fix kiya hai, continuously on the move, unable to stop at all.
- The next thing we can see is trouble playing quiet games like Chess or pursuing quiet hobbies, he can not do that. Then, talks excessively, bahut zyada baat karna ki usko stop karna mushkil ho jata hai. And in adult and teenage, this hyperacticity can be seen in the form of inner restlessness. Who andar se restless feel hota hai unko. You may not see that hyperactivity physically but that inner restlessness is there.
- So the third part is impulsivity. Impulsivity is when the child is impatient. He cannot wait for his turn. Queue mein agar khara hai, toh “Arre mera number kyun nahi aa raha hai hai, kyun mein itne der se khara hoon.” If you ask him a question, before completion of the question he will blurt out the answer. “Teacher answer yeh hai, teacher yeh hai.” He can make multiple mistakes for that. Frequently interrupts others. Do bade baat kar rahe ho toh baat khatam hone tak rukega nahi, beech mein aa ke aap ko disturb karega. Aap ko lagega har baccha aisa karta hai but hamesha agar bacha karta rahe toh this is a sign of ADHD.
Kabhi kabhi agar kar raha hai toh it’s okay, jab usko urgency rahega, jab usko kahin jaa na rahega. Starting conversations at inappropriate times is also a sign of ADHD.
So ADHD manage karna kyun zaroori hai?
ADHD mainly do components ko bahut zyada affect karta hai. One is academic and other is socialization. Toh academics mein kaise ADHD kaise harm kar sakega? For example, if your kid has an IQ jisse use ninety percent marks aa sakte hai aaram se but if he is not able to pay attention aur woh studies mein focus nahi kar payega, attention nahi de payega teacher kya padha rahi hai, books mein kya likha hua hai, toh who padhke apne brain mein register nahi kar payega. So attention is first required for registration. Then, again, when he wants to recall it, tab bhi use dimaag shant rakh ke recall karna padta hai. Tab bhi use recall karne ke liye attention chahiye. Toh jo ninety percent ka baccha hai agar usko ADHD hai, according to the severity of ADHD, he can slip down to sixty percent, fifty percent, or forty percent. So aaj kal ki zindagi main ek ek marks ke liye bhi bahut tagra competition hai, you know that. Agar ye competition mein itna agar bacche ka performance kum ho gaya toh this is very dangerous for the career of your child. So time pe ilaaj hona zaroori hai. Doosra behviour mein, socialization mein farak dikhta hai. Agar mein kahin galti karta hoon ya mujhse koi galti hoti hai aur woh mere parents ko, mere teachers ko pasand nahi aayi toh I should be attentive ki mein uss cheez ko dhyaan mein rakhu. Dhyaan mein rakhne ke liye mujhe attention chahiye, “Arre haan mummy ne last time aise bola tha, mummy ko ye pasand nahi aaya tha, teacher ko who cheez pasand nahi aayi thi”. Yeh mere dimaag mein register hona chahiye, yeh register hone ke baad mein jab next time kaam karoonga, tab mujhe who samajh mein ayega ki “arre haan, nahi last time yeh galti kiya tha, mummy ko pasand nahi aaya tha, ab yeh nahi karna chahiye.” But yeh attention he mere paas nahi rahega toh wahi galtiyan mein roz karoonga. Kal bhi maine maar khaaya tha, aaj bhi mein maar khaaonga, aur parso bhi mein maar khaane wala hoon. So this is a part and parcel of life ho jaata hai, aur wahi wahi galtiyaan repeat hoti hai. Toh patient khud ke ilava kissi aur ke bare mein soch nahi pata. Toh woh socialization mein kaafi peeche pad jaata hai.
Is ke treatment part mein kya aata hai?
First is Occupational Therapy jiss mein child ka hyperactivity kaafi hadh tak kum hota hai. Second is parenting techniques ki baccho ko behavioural therapy mein daal kar ke kaise uska parenting kiya jaaye. And third one is medicines. Medicine is a very important part of therapy. Most of the parents ask us ki arre itne chote bache ko medicines chalu karenge, kuch side effects hoga toh, kuch problem hua toh? Minor side effects medicines ke rehte hai but those side effects can be managed with proper consultation. Aur yeh medicines baccho ke liye he banaya gaya hai toh baccho ko yahi dena padega. Baccho ko sardi khaasi ho gaya, baccho ko bukhar aa gaya tabh aap bolte ho ki baccho ko medicine nahi dena chahiye? Agar who baccho ke liye banaya gaya hai toh who baccho ko he dena padega. So hope this discussion is helpful for you and please be proactive and seek help.
Don’t let ADHD destroy your child’s future. For more information, you can contact me on www.lybrate.com.
Thank you very much!
My six years old son has been passing stool in clothes in day as well as in night. We have consulted more than doctors but no result. Please tell us the possible cause of this?
My son, details given below is underweight and underweight and poorest eating habits to the extent of not eating any vegetables, fruits, chapatis, milk. He is very much full of anger, gets provoked on small things, gets irritated easily, doesn't pay attention to his physical hygiene. Pls suggest any homoeopathic way of treatment at normal price preferably in South Delhi. Thanks.
My son is 5 months and 8 days old. He leave to take mother milk. And we started to give him cerelac. please advise is it right time to give him these things. And what we do to make him to take mother milk. Thanks.
What is the reason behind that a baby below six month should be fed with breast milk only for the first six months before given proper food to him/her.
Hello Dr. My baby girl is going to complete 2 months on 1st November. Today she did potty N her poop was bright green in colour. Yesterday she had mild fever N last month she had vaccines. (And in my diet I have included cow milk otherwise I never used to had cow milk as it causes gas. And I'm noticing my milk is more watery then before .) Is it normal or any matter of concern? Kindly reply. Waiting for response. Thank you.
As a parent, we all love our children deeply. And most of us will agree that these days parenting is very demanding and exhausting instead of pleasurable and joyous process. What has changed? It is not that children are any different. The difference is in the environment around them with stronger social influences; and this also affects the way we parent. In today's more democratic and egalitarian world; 'Do as I say and not as I do' style of parenting does not work. But, 'I will do as I see you doing' phrase from kids define our parent child relationship.
With change in social environment and influence, our strategies for correcting their behaviour and impart discipline has to undergo adaptation! When there are so many confusing and conflicting signals reach to our kids from their environment, whether we like it or not, we are still their role models. How positive parenting style will help? The core principle of positive parenting is to accept your child as an individual. We are in a democratic society and family is a small yet important part of society. Democracy does not mean allowing disrespectful and irresponsible behaviour; rather to effectively help kids change their behaviour and create harmonious and cooperative relationship with them. It also means that we as a parent need to learn to think, act and react in a different way.
Through, positive parenting, you will learn respectful disciplining methods, which would work better than demanding compliance. Through these principles and tips you will get your child to listen without screaming, nagging, reminding or evoking rebellious behaviour. More importantly this is all about building stronger relationship bond with your children and nurture them through early childhood to teen age years as they become independent, responsible, capable, kind, happy and successful young adults.
Tips to get you started:
- Everyone deserves to be treated with respect and dignity, including children.
- When your kid misbehaves instead of shouting or hitting, control your anger and respond in a calm and respectful way. Calmer but firmer tone and lower voice, yet not giving into their repeated demand, is much more effective as a discipline tool compare to nagging.
- Understandable that you have a lot on your plate, such as work, managing and keeping the home in order, managing meals and other outside responsibilities, kids sports or extracurricular activities, family obligations and so on. It is easy to get lost in all these 'have to do' activities. Parenting shouldn't be just one more task to deal with. Reconnecting with your parenting goals and aspirations periodically will help take the stress out of it and add fun into it. Spend some time daily (10 minutes will do as well!) to just listen and enjoy your child (without correcting them or giving them suggestion to improve!).
- Let your love for them be the driving force. Shift your internal conversations from 'have to' to 'want to'. As you do enormous things for your child each day, think how you are supporting their ambitions. How you are helping them become independent and strong. How you are nurturing qualities like compassion and deep listening by extending yourself.
- Give promises and keep them. As your children grow they need much more than your words to trust and rely on you. Keeping your promises, letting them know if you need to change the plan, taking their opinion in appropriate matter will go a long way.
- Seek to understand and do not impose yourself on your child. Especially when they are in their teenage, as a parent you have lot of worries, you are afraid of them making mistakes and of course you want to protect them from vices. Listening to them while keeping your focus on genuinely understanding them is the only way to go, when they know you understand them and they can trust you, the street between both of you turns two way street! They will be open to your wisdom and suggestion when they are at the cross road.
- Last but not the least, 'be a role model'. Don't preach. If they see you disrespecting others, they will not respect you. If they see you hooked on your smart phone; that is their license to keep theirs in front of their eyes 24/7. If you are hooked in front of the TV till late night and haven't picked up a book in last 6 months. Advice about reading is going to fall on dumb ears. In short, be the change you want to see in your children.
- Have family nights at least once in a week, play cards, board games or go for a walk together. Talk and listen. Just be there and listen without judgement and criticism, without thinking about how to correct them. Just enjoy each other's company and see how they are changing their opinion about you. Positive parenting doesn't mean you will never have problems in your family. You will? if you are alive and growing family. Positive parenting style will open up the avenues to keep communication alive; it will open your children to your influence. Isn't it something that we all wish for!! If you wish to discuss about any specific problem, you can consult a psychologist.