Lybrate.com has an excellent community of Pediatricians in India. You will find Pediatricians with more than 25 years of experience on Lybrate.com. You can find Pediatricians online in Chennai and from across India. View the profile of medical specialists and their reviews from other patients to make an informed decision.
Book Clinic Appointment
Adolescent Problems Treatment
Limping Child Treatment
Management of New Born Care
Treatment of Newborn Jaundice
Treatment of Thyroid Disease in Children
Thyroid Disorder Treatment
Thyroid Problems Treatment
Adolescent Disorders Treatment
Treatment of Child and Adolescent Problems
Treatment of Childhood Diabetes
Cleft Lip Treatment
Management of Postnatal Care
Child Growth Management
Treatment of Childhood Infections
Management of Childhood Nutrition
Congenital Ear Problem Treatment
Quad Screening Treatment
Submit a review for Dr. R.ArvindkumarYour feedback matters!
My son aged 12+ years. His urine passes drop by drop in his pants in day time & not in night. How can it be cured?
Hi doctor. Any suggestions or treatment for insect bites on 6 month old baby. It looks light reddish with slight swelling.
My 3 year old baby have throat infection causes breathing problem as its sounds like snoring what should I give him? Dr. prescribed AB phylline, nikomox, and juvetra.
My daughter completed 8 month, i plan to start solid food. So please tell me which type of food I can start.
Asthma in children under the age of 5 is a matter of concern. It is not a rare disease and early diagnosis is important. Common signs of asthma in children are:
1. Recurring bronchitis
3. Discomfort in the chest
5. Trouble breathing
While some children have persistent yet mild symptoms, some children have severe attacks at times. Seasonal allergies and smoke make the symptoms worse.
What to notice?
While feeding an infant, if you notice that your child is facing shortness of breath, it might be a symptom of asthma. In a toddler, if your notice a decreased desire to run and play, or easy fatigue, then this could be a symptom of asthma. Asthma attacks for many children under the age of 5 are worsened when they catch cold or have any other respiratory infections. All these, if noticed should not be ignored and your child's pediatrician should be consulted.
The above mentioned symptoms were mild. Some children have it worse and the attacks can be life-threatening, needing immediate treatment. If your child is under the age of 5 and you see them doing one of the following, contact emergency services immediately:
1. Trouble in speaking because they have restricted breathing
2. When they are breathing in, the effort is so much that the abdomen is getting sucked in
3. Gasping for air.
Diagnosing asthma in a child can be tricky as symptoms like coughing, wheezing, etc can be for other conditions also. Once a child is a little older and if the symptoms persist, breathing and lung function tests are taken to gauge the situation.
If you would like to consult with me privately, please click on consult.
From lybrate: if you found this tip useful, please thank the doctor by clicking on the heart icon below. Also, spread good health by sharing this tip with your loved ones over whatsapp, facebook and other media.
My son is 6 years old suffered with viral fever last week now his platelet count is 118000 is it dangerous we have used ibuprofen with paracetamol for 4 days is low platelet count leads to dengue im very tensed please give me a advice.
Sir, I have one month baby. After he drink milk from his mother immediately getting vomiting. Here we already consult doctor he told baby has gas inside and gave medicine we are using but not effective. He is not getting sleep after he drink milk. What should we do.
Dear Sir or mam, Mera 2 months ka baby boy hai use last ek months se loose motion ki problem hai wo motion din me 6 se 7 baar krta hai motion small quantity me krta hai uski jabse uski mummy ko last month bwaseer ki problem thi uski medicine chal rhi thi jab se he baby ko problem aa rhi hai abhi khaafi dino se uski mummy ne medicine chod rakhi hai jab bhi baby ko problem hai wo motion ek baar me nhi krta baar baar thodi thodi krta hai. Please help.
My child age is approx 11 month age now, and he has missed his Rotavirus vaccine, can it be taken now or no issue. Or what measure can be taken for it.
My 3 years old sister suffering from Diarrhea doctor said to avoid rice and milk she is hungry what we should give her to eat please tell me soon and also tell me up to what stage we should avoid rice and milk please tell me soon.
My wife delivered baby girl 3 months back. Her MC has started now last only for day in a month. We had unprotected sex yesterday and now worried if she may get present again. I would like to know1- what are the chances she may get pregnant 2- can she take any contraceptive pills? If yes which one. 3- will there any side effect of those pills as she is breast feeding and will it affect on her body or milk? Please advice.
As babies develop in the mother's womb, there can be many factors, which could hamper normal growth in the embryo. These can result in deformities within the physiology of the baby. One area is bone tissue growth, which in early stages is still cartilage, and can manifest within the baby as deformed feet.
The incidence of deformed feet in infants, although not very common, is still prevalent enough to warrant certain fields of study as to why they happen and their remedies.
Reasons for foot deformities in infants
Some of the reasons for foot deformities within infants are mentioned below:
1. Genetic or hereditary problems - Some problems are passed from one generation to the other, although it may not manifest in the older generations.
2. Infections to the mother during pregnancy - If the mother contracted a disease during pregnancy or had an infection, it can have adverse effects on the developments of the baby and cause deformities.
3. Side effects of medications - If the mother was under medication, side effects of certain medications can cause hormonal imbalances resulting in deformities.
4. Hormonal imbalances - Certain hormonal imbalances present in the mother's body due to overlooked problems may cause issues with the baby's development and result in foot or other physical deformities.
Correction of Foot Deformities
Most corrective measures for foot deformities entail surgery as severe problems can be only corrected through that. These measures may also include other methods such as physiotherapy, massages, and training.
Let's look at some of the techniques, which are used to correct deformities, either in combinations or as standalone techniques.
- Corrective surgery - This is the most common and usually the most recommended course of action as anything above mild deformities will have to be corrected through surgeries. Most surgeries entail lengthy recuperating periods and follow ups.
- Corrective footwear - Milder foot deformities can be corrected with special footwear or setting devices such as special braces and supports to correct the problems.
- Physiotherapy - Certain forms of physiotherapy are effective in correcting mild forms of deformities. However, this tool is usually deployed in conjunction with surgeries to speed up the healing process
- Exercises - Certain deformities can only be changed with the help of exercise over a long period of time and cannot be fixed quickly even via surgery and thus, will need special care for long periods of time.
Related Tip: Early Childhood Trauma - Reasons and Diagnosis
Had cesarean 5days back but do not have sufficient milk in my breast to feed my baby so please suggest some home remedies to get good milk in my breast for my baby.
I am a mother of a 9 month old girl child and she is having fever 100.5 degree fahrenheit. Kindly let me know which medicine I can do during night time and is dere any doctor available for small infants near rohini delhi.
My daughter 5 years old fell from bed while sleeping. Having injury bump on the head. It is past 3 days. Looks like blood clot in the black color. Still not recovered to normal skin. What to do?
My 3 year old son is sick with a temperature of about 100 degree, he can not keep anything down including liquid s. What should I do? Please help!
Is your child getting exhausted after a bout of cough? Does he or she suffer from constant wheezing and tightness of the chest? Does your child feel drained out after climbing a flight of stairs? Do you know a child who always seems to run out of breath and cannot participate in school sports tournaments or play outside for a long time? The child could be suffering from asthma, which is a serious breathing problem. Most children are affected by asthma. Staying in a polluted city just makes the condition worse.
Asthma - Know the disease
- Asthma is a condition that causes inflammation of the airways, known as trachea and bronchioles.
- The muscles around the airways constrict and prevent the smooth flow of air.
- The lining of the bronchioles swell and block the airways.
- Asthma is mostly triggered by an allergic reaction.
- There is a difficulty in breathing out. Exhalation of air is often accompanied by a wheezing, that is, a whistling sound.
- There is a constant shortness of breath, feeling out of breath and gasping for air.
- There is an uncomfortable tightness in the chest, the feeling of not breathing in enough air.
- Coughing bouts in the middle of the night, that leave the child feeling exhausted and completely out of breath.
Causes of Asthma
Asthma is mostly triggered by asthma allergens. These allergens are mostly pollens and animal fur.
- Exposure to pollution, such as dust and smoke
- History of heartburn, GERD and acid reflux
- Inflammation of sinus and airways
- History of bronchial disorders and pneumonia
- Viral infections
- Chronic rhinitis
- Low immunity causing constant cold and blockage of nose
Treatments of asthma
- A nebulizer that turns asthma medicine into a mist can then be inhaled easily
- An inhaler can be used to take in inhaled steroids into the lungs or a bronchodilutor
- Try and avoid asthma triggers and allergens as much as possible
- Avoid physical stress and heat
- Get sufficient rest of about 7-8 hours every day
If you wish to discuss about any specific problem, you can consult a pulmonologist.