Lybrate.com has an excellent community of General Surgeons in India. You will find General Surgeons with more than 32 years of experience on Lybrate.com. You can find General Surgeons online in Chennai and from across India. View the profile of medical specialists and their reviews from other patients to make an informed decision.
Book Clinic Appointment
Kidney Stones Treatment
Removal Of Stitches Procedure
Corn Removal Procedure
Dressings Of Wounds Procedure
Varicose Vein Laser Treatment
Hernia Repair Surgery
Urinary Incontinence (Ui) Treatment
Stitching Of Wounds Procedure
Treatment Of Deep Vein Thrombosis - Dvt
Male Breast Reduction Treatment
Prostate Laser Surgery
Gastric Bypass Surgery
Treatment of Bone Marrow Transplantation
Vascular Surgery Treatment
Submit a review for Dr. R AnandanYour feedback matters!
I had a anal fissure one year ago. I took patanjali medicine. Now its fine, but sometimes I feel little prick in my anus for 1-2 days. Pls suggest me caution and permanent treatment for this.
I am 20 year old and mera face day by day dull hota ja raha he mera complexion fair he and black patches hote ja rahe hai, Please advise.
I'm 25 years girl. In recent days I'm getting lines on my neck and also only face and neck fat can be seen bec basically I'm slim.
Hi. M having dark spot on my face and I want to remove it quickly and that itching too. And m havi very dry skin which cream suites me. I tried all cream but no use m v sad.
Sir I always drink milk at night, I drink at least 3-4 litre of water. But still I have dark circles, my face looks very dull. I get very tired when I go out. But my friends they remain active though they work same hours as me please suggest me some cream to apply which will be effective but not so expensive. My skin is dry and dull.
I have pink marks on my both chicks. And they turn black after some days. Please provide some solution for this.
I just want to ask eating fish with milk can harm our skin or its a myth that white patches occurs on skin?
My son who is 8 yrs is suffering from white patches below eyes and back of neck any treatment or ointment would you recommend.
I am 19 years old girl and I have lots of hair on my face how can these hair b decreased and please recommend me a bleach which is good for skin.
I am taking proper diet as well as proper sleep. Still my dark circles are not going since last 1 year. Please help me out.
A common skin condition, which causes the discoloration of your skin in patches across the face, melasma is more of a social embarrassment and cause for distress rather than being a serious condition. Although it affects men as well, studies have shown that over 90 percent of patients are women. It is also known as the mask of pregnancy as many pregnant women develop this skin condition.
Causes of Melasma
Primary causes of melasma have been attributed to various hormonal changes within the body. Let's look at some of the factors that may cause this disorder:
- Pregnancy: This is often attributed as the leading cause of melasma, the primary cause has often been attributed to hormonal changes that a woman may experience due to pregnancy.
- Treatments that may change hormonal balance: Women on contraceptive pills or who have implants such as intrauterine devices may also develop this disorder. This is due to the balance of estrogen and progesterone being changed within the body.
- Sun exposure: Continued sun exposure may also lead to melasma. This is due to the activation of melanocytes within the body which start producing more melanin.
- Stress: Long periods of stress on the body can also trigger hormonal changes and cause melasma.
- Thyroid problems: If someone suffers from Hypothyroidism or low levels of the thyroid hormone, it can trigger other hormonal changes and also cause this skin disorder.
It has also been noticed that people with generally a darker skin tone tend to get melasma and it is less common in people with fairer skin.
Certain characteristics of Melasma
Melasma develops in certain patterns which can be easily diagnosed either as spots on the skin similar to freckles or brown patches of skin that grow bigger. Some of these patterns are:
- Malar pattern: This grows on the nose and cheeks
- Mandibular pattern: Starts growing around the jaw line
- Brachial melasma: This grows on the upper arms and shoulders
- Lateral cheek pattern: Grows on the cheek on both sides of the face
- Centrofacial pattern: Nose, upper lips, forehead and cheeks
Treatment of Melasma
Most women who develop melasma during pregnancy report that it goes away after childbirth. However certain forms of melasma may appear in non-pregnant women due to hormonal changes. Treating the underlying hormonal changes usually, resolves the problem. However certain other methods may be required to resolve the issues such as skin creams, chemical peels, dermabrasion and microdermabrasion. If you wish to discuss about any specific problem, you can consult a dermatologist.