Find numerous Oncologists in India from the comfort of your home on Lybrate.com. You will find Oncologists with more than 29 years of experience on Lybrate.com. Find the best Oncologists online in Chennai. View the profile of medical specialists and their reviews from other patients to make an informed decision.
Book Clinic Appointment
Treatment of Breast Cancer
Treatment of Tumors
Treatment of Testicular Cancer
Treatment of Blood Cancer
Treatment of Brain Tumor
Treatment of Lung Cancer
Treatment of Colon Cancer
Treatment of Cancer Pain
Treatment of Oral Cancer
Treatment of Prostate Cancer
Treatment of Throat Cancer
Treatment of Gastric Cancer
Treatment of Acute Lymphoblastic Leukemia
Treatment of Lymphoma
Treatment of Cervical Cancer
Treatment of Bone Tumors
Treatment of Leukemia
Treatment of Renal Cell Carcinoma
Treatment of Thyroid Cancer
Submit a review for Dr. Prof. S. SubramanianYour feedback matters!
Hi, my mother had breast cancer and she had mastectomy on her right breast. She is ongoing with chemo sessions but she has a history of identifying veins to insert needles. She has restriction of having chemo only on left hand and she has gone through 8 sessions. She is very scared of the needle insertion into her hand and the process getting very painful as her veins thinned and nurses not able to find veins and they are trying it many times by inserting the needle. Is there any spray or cream available as anesthetic to apply before inserting chemo needle so that she don't have to go through pain while finding nerves in her hand. Please advice also if using cream and spray is safe for her before chemo.
I have a prostate problem .which are the medicines that I can take for an early relieving from the problem. I have more strain while urinating.
Diagnosed with stomach cancer , need to know whether it is treatable or not , how can we know & what are the examinations we should perform.
Are you suffering from cancer? Your diet plays an important part when you are a undergoing cancer treatment. There are several types of food items, which are actually beneficial for healing cancer. By including these items in your regular diet, there are chances of better healing. Here are 10 food items that help in healing cancer:
- Green leafy vegetables: You must consume green leafy vegetables, such as spinach, collard greens, kale, watercress and arugula salad as they contain vitamins, minerals, enzymes and antioxidants. Also they are low in calories, sodium, fat and toxins and are a storehouse of antibacterial plus antiviral components, which inactivate carcinogens and help in killing program cancer cells. The formation of tumor is prevented. The chemicals turn into biological compounds and break down cancer cells.
- Cruciferous vegetables: These vegetables are capable cancer killers and are rich in vitamin C. All vegetables belonging to the brassica family of cruciferous vegetables contain isothiocyanates, which help in the prevention of cancer. Vegetables like broccoli and cauliflower also contain sulforaphanes and indoles, which protect the DNA structure.
- Berries: Berries contain antioxidants and proanthocyanidin antioxidants. These are capable of reducing free-radical damage. You should add blueberries, strawberries, goji berries and cherries to your diet.
- Fresh herbs and spices: Turmeric contains curcumin, which helps in reducing the tumor size and fighting breast and colon cancer. Its properties help in fighting inflammation. Other herbs such as ginger, garlic, oregano, basil and parsley help in boosting the body’s immunity.
- Organic meats: Organic meats such as chicken or beef liver are considered effective for cancer patients. This is because they are dense in nutrient content and contain vitamin B12 in high quantity. Consuming organic meat helps in the cleansing of your liver and removing toxins from the digestive tract.
- Cultured dairy products: Cultured dairy products contain probiotics or good bacteria. These help in promoting a natural bacterial balance in the intestinal microflora and increasing immunity. These food products prevent tumor growth and help with cell regeneration. You should have raw milk products like yoghurt, cheese and kefir.
- Nuts and seeds: Chia seeds and flax seeds provide omega-3 fatty acids and important minerals. Hemp seeds, pumpkin seeds and sunflower seeds are also essential for a cancer patient.
- Healthy unrefined oils: Oils such as coconut, flax, extra-virgin olive oil and cod-liver oil nourish the gut and your immune functions are boosted.
- Mushrooms: Mushrooms are of different types and offer different benefits. In general, all mushrooms increase a body’s immunity to fight with cancer. You should add reishi, maitake and cordyceps mushrooms to your diet.
For consuming an ideal diet, which comprises cancer preventing and cancer-fighting foods, you should consult a dietitian.
The above food help in prevention and recovery from cancer. In any case, rest is equally important and also fluids. Diet to regular chemo session, one might feel anorexic with persistent nausea, so having them in small portions in advisable. One can opt for organic versions of these, to ensure good quality. Try avid consuming them absolutely raw, stir fry, boiled are some recommendable methods. Cancer can be patience testing disease to cope up with it best is to have a positive attitude for better recovery. If you wish to discuss about any specific problem, you can consult a Dietitian/Nutritionist.
What is ECMO?
Like dialysis for unfunctional kidney, Ecmo for unfunctional lung.
Ecmo stands for extracorporeal membrane oxygenation. It is a method of giving oxygen for the body when icu pateint lungs and/or heart are not able to supply oxygen on their own.
Why ICU pateint put on ECMO?
Doctors place ICU patients on ECMO when patients are not able to supply oxygen to the body.
ICU patients’ lungs fail for a number of reasons including pneumonia, lung cancer, pulmonary edema, pulmonary embolism and COPD.
When a patient’s lungs fail, he/she first is intubated (breathing tube) and hooked up to a ventilator (breathing machine).
However, sometimes lungs are so damaged that providing oxygen through intubation is not enough.
This is when doctors turn to v-v ecmo.
A heart can fail for many reasons including heart attack, pulmonary embolism, bad valve disease, or worsening heart failure. When a heart fails, doctors try to fix the underlying problem. They may also start medications (called ionotropes) to help improve the pump function of the heart. If medications are not enough, doctors will turn to v-a ecmo.
How long can someone stay on ecmo?
That is a complicated question. Due to the risks of ecmo discussed above, doctors try to keep patients on ecmo for as short a time as possible. Often patient will be on ecmo for several days up to 1-2 weeks. Every day, several blood and imaging tests are done to determine if a patient is ready to come off ecmo. As the technology of ecmo improves, hopefully side effects will decrease and patients can remain on ecmo for longer periods of time.
What is the difference between ecmo and a ventilator (breathing machine)?
Both ecmo and a ventilator aim to provide oxygen to the body when the patient’s own lungs and breathing are failing. The ventilator assists the patient’s own lungs by pushing oxygen with pressure into the lungs. Ecmo instead provides oxygen directly via a catheter placed in a patient’s vein or artery. We almost always try oxygenating a patient with a ventilator first. However, when a patient’s lungs are too sick for this, we turn to ecmo to assist in providing oxygen to the body. V-v ecmo provides oxygen through a vein. This blood then has to travel to the heart and be pumped around the rest of the body through arteries. Therefore, with v-v ecmo or with a ventilator, a patient must have a well-functioning heart to get the oxygen pumped throughout the body. V-a ecmo has the additional advantage of pumping blood directly to arteries. This “by-passes” the heart and is therefore the method of ecmo we use when a patient’s heart is failing.
My mother is a cancer patients, she taking cancer treatment, but she have BP & Sugar heavy, she takes tablet also it not come control, you can suggest how to control both.
I am a cancer patient (breast, Stage II). I have completed all treatments for the last 2 1/2 years ago. Doctors operated by only partially (only affected area). The whole part are not remove. Cancer cells are again formed? Or not formed?
Doctors I had a small dot like tumour in pelvis. Will it be cancer? Pls tell me hw to make sure whether it is cancer or not by self diagnosis.
Dear sir, My prostrate is enlarged in size and weighs approx 27 gms. Impression: hypertrophy of prostrate grade I by sonography. Kindly suggest remedy.
What is the survival rate for cancer patients of stage 3. Is chemotherapy and radiation therapy must. Can we go for the alternative method like homeopathy or ayurveda.
Renal cancer is also known as hypernephroma, renal cell carcinoma (RCC), kidney cancer or renal adenocarcinoma. The kidneys are organs in your body that dispose off waste, while additionally regulating fluid balance. There are small tubes in the kidneys called tubules. These filter the blood, help in discharging waste, and make urine. RCC happens when cancer cells start to grow out of control in the lining of the tubules of the kidney. Renal cancer is a progressive disease that spreads to the lungs and the organs around it.
Medical experts do not know the exact cause behind renal cancer. It is most commonly found in men between the ages of 50 and 70. There are some risk factors and signs that indicate one’s possibility of having renal cancer and these are as follows:
- Family history of renal cancer
- Dialysis treatment
- Hypertension or high blood pressure
- Smoking cigarettes
- Polycystic kidney disease (a condition that causes cyst formation in the kidneys)
At a point when renal cancer is in its initial stages, patients might not see any symptoms. The symptoms are mainly seen in the later stages. Some of the most common symptoms are as follows:
- Blood in urine: Blood in urine is called hematuria. As indicated by the Renal Cancer Association, hematuria is the most widely recognized indication of kidney cancer. In case you have blood in your urine, you may see pink, rust or even a red staining.
- Lower back pain: The vast majority does not encounter pain until cancer is in later stages. Pain from renal cancer is felt on one side of the flank, the region over the pelvis, and beneath the ribs in the abdomen. This pain can go from a dull yearn to a sharp wound, frequently leaving the area blue. In case you have any sudden pain that continues for more than a couple of days, you need to see a specialist.
- A mass or lump: A mass or protuberance in the abdomen can be an indication of renal cancer. Kidney knots might be hard to feel since they are somewhere down in the abdomen. Once a bump is found, your specialist may arrange symptomatic tests such as an ultrasound or a CT scan. These tests may diagnose what your knot might be.
- Iron deficiency and fatigue: Weakness and a fall in your iron levels are the most common symptoms of any type of cancer. Cancer exhaustion is not quite the same as simply feeling tired.
- Weight reduction, loss of appetite and fever: Another normal side effect of cancer is sudden and startling weight reduction. This happens quickly without any excessive workouts or dieting. A person diagnosed with cancer can also face a loss of appetite. In fact, even their most loved food items can get to be unappealing. Frequent fever is yet another common symptoms among most cancer patients.
In case your specialist suspects that you may have renal cancer, they will take some information about your and family’s medical history. They will then do a physical exam. Discoveries that can show renal cancer include swelling or irregularities in the stomach area. In case of men, augmented veins in the scrotal sac (varicocele) may be found. If you wish to discuss about any specific problem, you can consult a Nephrologist.
You've probably heard that a HPV vaccine can protect women against cervical cancer. In fact, the vaccine may be most effective when given to girls and young women. However the strains against which the HPV vaccine provides protection is limited. The vaccine does provide cover against the most prevalent strains (learn all about Cervical Cancer).
What Are the Benefits of the HPV Vaccine?
The main benefit of the vaccine is protection from cervical cancer.
Two HPV vaccines are currently on the market: Gardasil and Cervarix. In 2006, the FDA licensed Gardasil, the first cervical cancer vaccine. In 2007 Cervarix was approved. However, they don't protect against all types of cancer-causing HPV. Vaccines protect against these four types of HPV:
These types are responsible for 70% of cervical cancers and 90% of genital warts (learn more about warts).
What parents should know about the HPV or Cervical Cancer Vaccine
Does your daughter need the HPV vaccine to help protect against cervical cancer?
Pap screening in girls and young women should be recommended as follows:
Within 3 years of becoming sexually active.
By age 21.
Most girls taking the vaccine will probably need fewer Pap smears taken at longer intervals over their lifetimes.
Has your daughter already been infected with HPV virus?
If so, receiving the vaccine won't prevent disease from that particular type. However, the HPV vaccine will protect against infection from the other HPV strains included in the shot.
Why Should Girls Receive the HPV Vaccine?
Full benefit of the HPV vaccine occurs only if you receive it before you're infected with any of the HPV strains included in the vaccine. That's why, vaccinating girls between ages 11 and 12 is recommended .Ideally, this is before they become sexually active. The HPV vaccine can also be given to girls as young as 9 and to girls from age 13 to 26 who have not received it earlier.
You may question whether 11 or 12 is too early to vaccinate, the vaccine has been shown to be more effective in immunizing against HPV when it is given to younger girls who have never been infected with the dangerous HPV strains.