Lybrate.com has an excellent community of Gynaecologists in India. You will find Gynaecologists with more than 38 years of experience on Lybrate.com. You can find Gynaecologists online in Chennai and from across India. View the profile of medical specialists and their reviews from other patients to make an informed decision.
Book Clinic Appointment with Dr. Priya Dharshini
Management of Abortion
Caesarean Section Procedure
Treatment Of Female Sexual Problems
Termination Of Pregnancy Procedure
Treatment Of Pregnancy Problems
Well Woman Healthcheck
Treatment Of Female Sexual Problems
Treatment Of Medical Diseases In Pregnancy
Treatment Of Menstrual Problems
Intra-Uterine Insemination (IUI) Treatment
Medical Termination Of Pregnancy (Mtp) Procedure
Gynecology Laparoscopy Procedures
Pap Smear Procedure
Submit a review for Dr. Priya DharshiniYour feedback matters!
In mornings near to my period days, my face, hands and foot got swelling. This lead to headache in the noon. Happens before and after the periods.
Causes of bladder control problems in women
Urinary incontinence is the term used to describe bladder control problems that affect several people. Many think it only occurs among older, menopausal women but it actually isn't uncommon amid young and active women.
Inability to control the bladder accompanied by pain can be symptomatic of various disorders ranging from a minor infection to cancer. Fortunately, bladder cancer is rare, and bladder pain is usually not serious.
The varied causes of urinary incontinence in women are as follows:
- Urinary tract infection: this is the most common cause of urinary incontinence and it affects women more than men due to anatomical factors. It can also happen at any age.
- Medicinal side effect: the inability to control one's bladder may be a result of the administration of certain medicinal substances such as alpha-blockers, antidepressants, sleeping pills and various narcotics.
- Changes in the reproductive system: pregnancy and fluctuations in hormone levels can cause bladder irritation, which leads to urinary incontinence.
- Impacted stool: when stool gets tightly packed in the lower end of the digestive system and rectum, bladder control is affected. Chronic constipation and constraint strain on the lower intestines leads to the weakening of bladder muscles and hampers the bladder control.
- Surgical side effects: temporary loss of control of the bladder is often a result of prior surgery and radiation therapy in the pelvic region.
- Nerve damage and neurological disorders: strokes and spinal cord injuries have a heavy impact on bladder control and amount to urinary incontinence. Diseases such as Alzheimer's disease, Parkinson's disease and multiple sclerosis also lead to the same.
- Health complications: disorders such as diabetes and obesity directly affect the bladder and the ability to exercise control over it.
- Disability and impaired mobility: for women who are physically impaired and suffer from problems of arthritis, urinary incontinence is a major problem as they are unable to reach the toilet easily.
- Bladder cancer: even though it is extremely rare, bladder cancer affects a number of women every year and is treated through surgery and chemotherapy.
Related Tip: What Makes One Lose Control of the Urinary Bladder?
I am 24 yrs old. This month i'm having unusual periods which have been going on for two weeks. In the first week I had very slight bleeding but in the second week it was heavy and was more prominent in the morning and late evening. I do have irregular periods and my monthly cycle varies. Is this hormonal change and normal?
I am 34 weeks pregnant with twins babies. My doctor has told me to take dexamethasone injections 12 mg x3 shots in 12 hours gap. I came to know that this injection can effect the cell membrane of brain of a unborn child. So I am scared in taking this injections. And even want to know that dexamethasone or Betamethasone which one is more safe for my babies? Pls reply my query.
Grapes are one of the most widely available fruits across the world, but many people ignore eating the seeds of this healthy fruit. The seeds of grapes are rich in heavy anti-oxidants along with natural plant compounds known as oligomeric proanthocyanidin complexes or OPCs. Hence there are numerous health benefits of grape seeds, some of which include the following.
Improves the skin health:
Grape seeds are very important source of antioxidants which enable you to fight against different types of skin conditions such as skin inflammation, premature fine lines, and wrinkles, acne, and psoriasis among others.
- Helps in fighting against certain cancer: It was found that grape seed extracts can offer protection from the UV induced photocarcinogenesis. This is achieved by decreasing the size, multiplicity and incidence of the tumor as well as seizing the changing of UVB induced papillomas to the harmful malignant carcinomas. Also, the proanthocyanidins present in the grape seed is proved in reducing azoxymethane-induced colon carcinogenesis by starting the process of apoptosis.
- Grape seeds are rich in anti-oxidants: The grape seeds comprise of the flavonoids which include catechin epicatechin, gallic acid, epicatechin 3-0-gallate and the oligomeric proanthocyanidins. It is also found that the antioxidant properties present in this proanthocyanidins is far intense than that of Vitamin C and Vitamin E. The strong antioxidant properties of the grape seed have also caused the supplement manufacturers to process the grape seeds into health supplementing capsules and pills. Therefore, you should consider consuming the grape seeds for protecting the body from poor cardiovascular health, vision problems, asthma and skin diseases.
- Aids in weight loss: Did you know that grape seeds offer an effective result in reduction of fat from the body? These seeds can be used for reducing as well as treating the absorption of dietary fat and its accumulation in different parts of the body.
- Helps in the treatment of depression: A group of international scientists from the United States of America and China has shown the effectiveness of proanthocyanidins in the improvement of mental health in 2010. Studies on animal have proved that this particular element can exert anti-depressing effects. Hence, you should take grape seeds as a viable means of boosting your mental health.
- Reduces cardiovascular diseases conditions: The effects of grape seeds in improving the cardiovascular health of human beings are immensely promising. It can effectively reduce conditions like cardiac arrest, tachycardia and also protect against cardiotoxicity which can happen due to contamination of drugs. Consuming grape seeds regularly can help in reducing the LDL cholesterol levels as well as biomarkers.
Do you require any more reasons to consume the wonderful seeds?
If you wish to discuss any specific problem, you can consult a dietitian-nutritionist.
Rock salt, also known as black salt, is packed with health benefits. From general health to skin and hair problems, this unprocessed and also the purest salt form is an ingredient used in many Ayurvedic medicines. Many people prefer rock salt over common salt for its nutritional significance. It is a rich source of minerals and trace elements such as copper, iron, potassium, magnesium, calcium, to name a few.
The following health advantages of rock salt makes it a must have ingredient in your diet.
- The black salt comes as a much needed relief for people with digestive problems, heartburn, or gas. It helps in better digestion of food in addition to making the food more palatable. People suffering from constipation can also benefit immensely from black salt.
- If you are into fitness and importantly into losing weight, then black salt is what you need. The black salt is known to be helpful in dealing with the hunger pangs (reduces food cravings) better.
- Fluctuations in the blood pressure can be quite risky for the health. Black salt goes a long way in stabilizing the blood pressure. In fact, people with high blood pressure are often advised to use black salt.
- If you are a night owl by compulsion (insomniac), then black salt is sure to make your life a lot easier. Sleep disorder often results from an imbalance in the melatonin level. Black salt normalizes the healthy sleeping cycle by regulating the melatonin level in the affected person.
- Black salt comes as a real savior for people with a skin problems. Black salt helps to not only cleanse, but also exfoliate (rock salt makes for an excellent natural body scrub) the skin. It removes the dead skin cells, opens the closed skin pores, thus giving the skin a natural glow. To improve the overall circulation, many people soak their body in water containing black salt.
- Rock salt is known to be an excellent immune booster.
- Yellow nails or cracked heels can be embarrassing. Worry no more! Just soak your hands and feet in rock salt water and watch the magic.
- Taking a bath in rock salt water after a long and tiring day will leave you refreshed and rejuvenated like never before.
- Rock salt is a rich source of almost all the essential trace elements. Thus, it acts as a catalyst enhancing the metabolic activities of the body.
- People with cold, tonsil or other respiratory problems (sinus, dry cough, to name a few) can benefit by gargling with lukewarm water with a pinch of rock salt in it.
- Drinking rock salt water (brine, preferably spring water) is helpful in the case of kidney stones, arthritis, gallbladder stones.
- Rock salt is equally beneficial for the hair. When mixed with shampoo, it helps to cleanse the hair (also removes the dead skin) naturally.
In case you have a concern or query you can always consult an expert & get answers to your questions!
The moment a woman is known to be pregnant, there is a whole list she needs to follow in terms of food what is good vs what is bad, what to eat vs what to avoid, how much to eat and so on. Almost every member in the family and friend circle would have suggestions to provide, and the woman is left completely confused. Read on to get some of this clarified.
Myth #1: Eat for two people during pregnancy: While it is definitely true that a person needs to eat more during pregnancy, it is not essential to eat for two people. The growing baby does not need a full meal. What it needs are important nutrients to develop fully including iron, calcium, folic acid, etc. The mother needs to increase her food consumption, but only by about 250 to 300 calories. There is absolutely no need to eat for two people.
Myth #2: Eating papaya can lead to miscarriage: The green or raw papaya does have latex, which has properties similar to the miscarriage-inducing drugs. They increase the amount of oxytocin and prostaglandin, which induces miscarriage. However, a fully ripe papaya eases heartburn and constipation, which are common during pregnancy.
Myth #3: Consuming saffron throughout pregnancy makes the developing baby fair-skinned: This is another myth that is deep-rooted, and the obsession with fair skin is even more deep-rooted. Most mothers would be gifted small boxes of saffron and told to add it to milk and consume, so that the baby grows up fair. This is a complete myth with no truth to it at all. The baby’s skin colour is completely determined by genetics and is not influenced by the food consumed during pregnancy.
Myth #4: Ghee during pregnancy helps in normal delivery: Ghee is believed to bring about a lot of miracles during pregnancy. Some vouch for the fact that consuming ghee aids in normal delivery and passage of the baby through the uterus. Consuming ghee also is believed to improve uterine healing post-delivery. The truth is that ghee is loaded with saturated fats and may lead to unnecessary weight gain and hence is best avoided. A small amount is definitely advisable, but it will not help in either delivery or post-partum.
Myth #5: Eating fish during pregnancy is harmful: The only reason for avoiding fish is the increased level of mercury in some of them. While fish with higher levels of mercury are to be avoided, fish with low mercury levels are okay and are in fact useful for the baby’s brain and eye development. Since this differentiation requires knowledge about fish, they are usually avoided. Talk to your nutritionist to identify what is safe and what is not.
In case you have a concern or query you can always consult an expert & get answers to your questions!
शतावरी खाने के फायदे
By speaking tree
सौ रोगों को हरने वाली शतावरी
आज हम आपको एक झाड़ीनुमा लता के बारे में बताते है, जिसमें फूल मंजरियों में एक से दो इंच लम्बे एक या गुच्छे में लगे होते हैं और फल मटर के समान पकने पर लाल रंग के होते हैं.नाम है"शतावरी. I
आपने विभिन्न आयुर्वेदिक औषधियों में इसके प्रयोग को अवश्य ही जाना होगा.अगर नहीं तो हम आपको बताते हैं, इसके प्रयोग को! आयुर्वेद के आचार्यों के अनुसार, शतावर पुराने से पुराने रोगी के शरीरको रोगों से लड़ने क़ी क्षमता प्रदान करता है. I इसे शुक्रजनन,शीतल,मधुर एवं दिव्य रसायन माना गया है I महर्षि चरक ने भी शतावर को बल्य और वयः स्थापक (चिर यौवन को बरकार रखने वाला) माना है. I आधुनिक शोध भी शतावरी क़ी जड़ को हृदय रोगों में प्रभावी मान चुके हैं i
अब हम आपको शतावरी के कुछ आयुर्वेदिक योग क़ी जानकारी देंगे.जिनका औषधीय प्रयोग चिकित्सक के निर्देशन में करना अत्यंत लाभकारी होगा!
- यदि आप नींद न आने क़ी समस्या से परेशान हैं तो बस शतावरी क़ी जड़ को खीर के रूप में पका लें और थोड़ा गाय का घी डालें,इससे आप तनाव से मुक्त होकर अच्छी नींद ले पायेंगे!
-शतावरी क़ी ताज़ी जड़ को यवकूट करें,इसका स्वरस निकालें और इसमें बराबर मात्रा में तिल का तेल मिलाकर पका लें,हो गया मालिश का तेल तैयार.इसे माइग्रेन जैसे सिरदर्द में लगायें और लाभ देखें i
-यदि रोगी खांसते-खांसते परेशान हो तो शतावरी चूर्ण - 1.5 ग्राम,वासा के पत्ते का स्वरस 2.5 मिली,मिश्री के साथ लें और लाभ देखें i
-प्रसूता स्त्रियों में दूध न आने क़ी समस्या होने पर शतावरी का चूर्ण -पांच ग्राम गाय के दूध के साथ देने से लाभ मिलता है!
-यदि पुरुष यौन शिथिलता से परेशान हो तो शतावरी पाक या केवल इसके चूर्ण को दूध के साथ लेने से लाभ मिलता है i
-यदि रोगी को मूत्र या मूत्रवह संस्थान से सम्बंधित विकृति हो तो शतावरी को गोखरू के साथ लेने से लाभ मिलता है i
-शतावरी के पत्तियों का कल्क बनाकर घाव पर लगाने से भी घाव भर जाता है!
-यदि रोगी स्वप्न दोष से पीड़ित हो तो शतावरी मूल का चूर्ण -2.5 ग्राम,मिश्री -2.5 ग्राम को एक साथ मिलाकर.पांच ग्राम क़ी मात्रा में रोगी को सुबह शाम गाय के दूध के साथ देने से प्रमेह,प्री -मेच्युर -इजेकुलेशन (स्वप्न-दोष) में लाभ मिलता है i
-गाँव के लोग इसकी जड़ का प्रयोग गाय या भैंसों को खिलाते हैं, तो उनकी दूध न आने क़ी समस्या में लाभ मिलता पाया गया है.अतः इसके ऐसे ही प्रभाव प्रसूता स्त्रियों में भी देखे गए हैं i
-शतावरी के जड के चूर्ण को पांच से दस ग्राम क़ी मात्रा में दूध से नियमित से सेवन करने से धातु वृद्धि होती है!
-वातज ज्वर में शतावरी के रस एवं गिलोय के रस का प्रयोग या इनके क्वाथ का सेवन ज्वर (बुखार) से मुक्ति प्रदान करता है. I
-शतावरी के रस को शहद के साथ लेने से जलन,दर्द एवं अन्य पित्त से सम्बंधित बीमारीयों में लाभ मिलता है. I
. शतावरी हिमतिक्ता स्वादीगुर्वीरसायनीसुस्निग्ध शुक्रलाबल्यास्तन्य मेदोस ग्निपुष्टिदा! चक्षु स्यागत पित्रास्य,गुल्मातिसारशोथजित.उदधृत किया है.तो शतावरी एक बुद्धिवर्धक,अग्निवर्धक,शुक्र दौर्बल्य को दूर करनेवाली स्तन्यजनक औषधि है!