Lybrate.com has an excellent community of Dentists in India. You will find Dentists with more than 29 years of experience on Lybrate.com. You can find Dentists online in Chennai and from across India. View the profile of medical specialists and their reviews from other patients to make an informed decision.
Book Clinic Appointment with Dr. Prem Kumar
Root Canal Treatment
Teeth Cleaning Procedure
Teeth Whitening Procedure
Root Canal Treatment
Management of Dental Hygiene
Chronic Skin Allergy Treatment
Tooth Extraction Procedure
Dental Extractions Procedure
Skin Rash Treatment
Gap Closing (Dental) Treatment
Artificial Teeth Treatment
Treatment of Root Canal Treatment (RCT)
Wisdom Tooth Removal Procedure
Teeth Scaling & Polishing
Braces Treatment for Adults and Teens
Submit a review for Dr. Prem KumarYour feedback matters!
A loss of tooth or teeth is one of the biggest dental problems that someone can face. The irony is that people consider loss of teeth to be very insignificant. But in reality loss of teeth can lead to not only cosmetic problems, but also functional problems and an unstable chewing mechanism.
Loss of teeth can lead to many problems. Some of them are:
- Supra eruption of opposing teeth
- Compromised efficiency of chewing
- Adjacent teeth might drift into the space created by missing teeth
- Food tend to accumulate between teeth, which have moved
- Food accumulation also leads to periodontal disease and caries
- A lopsided chewing pattern as there is loss of equilibrium in the mechanism of chewing
- The extracted area might reveal a loss of bone height
- Problems of the temporomandibular joints, like closed bite and TMJ osteoarthritis
- The existing functional teeth might lead to problems due to overload
- There are increased chances of cheek biting due to collapse of the cheek in the missing space, thus leading to functional and cosmetic problems
- The frequency of tongue biting and ulceration might increase in the area of missing teeth or tooth
When missing teeth are replaced, one can easily restore the healthy look of the teeth and also prevent any other dental problems which are due to the missing teeth.
While replacement of the missing teeth it is of utmost importance that the equilibrium is maintained with the distribution of the forces caused by chewing. Care is also taken that the cosmetic outlook is also maintained in the treatment.
Ideally the teeth when extracted or lost should be immediately replaced. This is because the replacement prevents the bone resorption or bone loss in the area and also retains the good bone. But a drawback is that such an immediate replacement might lead to limitation. Immediate treatment is usually done with the help of implants which easily fit in the sockets created by extraction. But even for this an analysis of the bone and gum health is necessary, thus leading to only a few instances for such replacements. Other alternative is that immediate removable dentures can be prepared and these can be replaced once the gums of the area have healed. The time period for this is usually 3 months. If these need to be fixed permanently then a waiting period of 3 months is mandatory for the settling and healing of the gums and bone of the area.
The 3 basic ways of fixing missing teeth are through implants, fixed bridgework (bridges and crowns) and dentures, which can be removed.
My daughter 2 years old and her teeth starts decay from last 6 month very fast and goto know it cannot be cure until she grown up and we have stoped her bottle feeding because uper portion will decay due to bottle, can you please let us know what need to be done to cure now and stop falling her teeth? and also because of upper teeth contact lower teeth start getting infection.
Dr saheb pyrea hoo gaya hai teeth mein green and kala kala saa hoo gaya hai jiski wajah see lower front teeth thoda patla bhi hoo gaya hai daily brush bhi karta huin dant kanti and aab halka halka saa 2 pass kee teeth mein bhi kala kala saa hoo gaya hai masoodoo kee neechee help karen.
My front tooth was chipped before 8 years and have a crown placed on it now. But the crown placed tooth is a little over the other front tooth and my teeth are a little bit overbite (just very little. Should I go for invisalign six months braces? And is it possible to wear braces on crown?
Hi I am getting mouth odour I could sense even in the morning time and night time. I do oil pulling but it does not help. Please let me know what is the reason. It is smelling like a dead rat in the mouth.
Dental implants need to be maintained carefully after surgery and for that you got to follow a few essential caring tips.
Best caring tips after dental implants:
- Maintaining a healthy diet: Healthy diet needs to be maintained and in this case, only nutritious and soft foods are to be included.
- Careful brushing: Only soft bristle brush needs to be used in this regard and do not pressurize the treated areas. In this case, tenderness needs to be considered so that brushing can be conducted carefully without injuring or hurting implants.
- Avoid smoking: You are not allowed to continue smoking after implants, as that can make the situation complicated, as a result, of which you might even experience dreadful consequences. You should follow different steps to completely curtail the smoking habit from your lifestyle.
- Scheduling appointments: You should meet your dentist on a frequent basis in order to make sure that everything is perfect. You can also visit your dentist in times of emergencies when you are facing tremendous pain or bleeding.
- Maintaining oral hygiene: Oral hygiene is the most important thing, and this is the reason you are advised to use any special mouthwash or any other flossing solution. This step needs to be continued for preventing the growth of unwanted infectious elements as that can ruin the implants completely. You should also carefully brush your teeth without affecting the implanted area.
- Avoid cold or hot drinks and foods: You should not take excessively hot or chilled items immediately after dental implants as that might create an adverse situation. This is a strict instruction which is usually given to the patients by their dentists so that implants can be protected and can be maintained in the long run.
- Apply ice pack: If you want to get rid of unwanted swelling and inflammation, immediately after dental implants, then nothing can be the best than homemade therapy, other than using ice packs. You should keep the ice packs just over the swollen art directly, and you can even try out this therapy multiple times in a day and will get relief instantly.
- Taking painkillers: If the implanted area has swollen up, and it is paining badly, then you should try useful painkillers, but the medicines should be prescribed by your dentist. But do not take these medicines on a frequent basis rather take them only when the pain is severe.
Related Tip: "Reasons Why You Should Not Be Nervous About Dental Implant"