Lybrate.com has an excellent community of Gynaecologists in India. You will find Gynaecologists with more than 25 years of experience on Lybrate.com. You can find Gynaecologists online in Chennai and from across India. View the profile of medical specialists and their reviews from other patients to make an informed decision.
Book Clinic Appointment
Endometrial Ablation Procedure
Treatment of Treatment of Breast Cancer
Management of Abortion
Hormonal Replacement Therapy Treatment
Caesarean Section Procedure
Treatment of Gynae Problems
Gynecology Laparoscopy Procedures
Treatment Of Female Sexual Problems
Treatment Of Menopause Related Issues
Treatment Of Menstrual Problems
Treatment of Mirena (Hormonal Iud)
Pap Smear Procedure
Polycystic Ovary Syndrome Treatment
Treatment of Uterine Bleeding
Antenatal And Postnatal Exercise
Submit a review for Dr. PreethaYour feedback matters!
Any kind of bleeding from the uterus, which is not normal, can be termed as abnormal uterine bleeding. This refers to bleeding between periods or before periods, bleeding after having sex, spotting, abnormally heavy bleeding or bleeding after attaining menopause. If you are suffering from any of these issues, you need to consult with the doctor.
It is very important to diagnose abnormal uterine bleeding. There are several examinations and tests that have to be carried out, depending on age. For irregular spotting, a pregnancy test can be undertaken in case you think you could be pregnant. If your uterine bleeding is very heavy, a test has to be performed to check blood count. This is done to observe whether you have anemia. An ultrasound test of the pelvic region will also be advised by your doctor to know the cause of the bleeding. Several hormonal tests and thyroid function tests are required as well.
Other diagnostic tests include:
- Sonohysterography: When fluid is placed within the uterus and ultrasound images of the uterus are taken. An image of the pelvic organs is obtained.
- Hysteroscopy: It can be carried out when a device is inserted via the vagina and enables the doctor to examine the uterus internally.
- Magnetic resonance imaging: This is also used to get images of the organs.
- Endometrial biopsy: It involves insertion of a catheter to take out a tissue which is microscopically observed.
There are different types of treatment for abnormal uterine bleeding depending upon factors such as the cause of bleeding and the age of the patient.
- Medications: Several medicines are used to treat abnormal uterine bleeding. Sometimes hormonal medicines are used. Birth control pills are also used to improve the regularity of periods. Hormonal infections, vaginal creams and an IUD device releasing hormone can be used. Non steroidal anti-inflammatory drugs are also used to control bleeding. Several antibiotics may also be prescribed.
- Surgery: In some cases of abnormal uterine bleeding, a woman has to undergo a surgery for the removal of growth such as polyps and fibroids, which results in bleeding. While some fibroids can be removed via hysteroscopy, others require different techniques for treatment.
- Endometrial ablation: It can be undertaken to control bleeding. This mode of treatment aims at reducing the bleeding permanently. In case all treatment methods fail, hysterectomy has to be carried out. This is a serious surgery and after it is performed, a woman does not have periods anymore and will not be able to conceive a child.
Abnormal uterine bleeding is a serious health condition, which may lead to severe complications. Immediate diagnosis and appropriate treatment methods should be undertaken in case of any abnormal uterine bleeding.
My periods date were 6th Jan I took primolut n to delay my periods. I had unprotected sex on 19th Jan n took unwanted 72. After few hours I started to bleed n bleeding is continue till now. Wat is it? Is it periods? And does bleeding rules out pregnancy.
Hello. My wife's period stopped on 5 aug 12 o'clock noon. We had unprotected sex on same day evening 5 o'clock but I ejaculate outside vagina. At night my wife's started little blood only when she urinate. Blood come in urinate stop after 2 days but she had feel itching and burning in her vagina since yet. Is my wife is pregnant? Aur is there is any vaginal infection?
I went for a routine check up. Gynaecologist on examining said that there is uterus descent of 1 degree. Please suggest remedies or exercises to set right the same. Also is walking good or bad for strengthening the pelvic muscles. I had no symptoms regarding this problem.
I was suffering from endometriosis and underwent laproscopy last year. Now doctor prescribed me three months course of progynova (estradiol valerate) from day 1-14 ubhipene (clomphine) 3-7 and duphaston from 15-28. Is it safe to take these medicines or endometriosis will have any effect. What are the chances of conceiving. Last month I took this but was of no use.
At some point of time we all go through a rough patch and these are the times when we suffer from certain disorders. In slightly more medical terms, sexual disorder is known as sexual dysfunction. Sexual disorders are health conditions that could surface in both males and females. This not only acts as a hurdle in the path of an alternative understanding of sexuality, but also deters spontaneous reporting of sexual problems.
Patients largely feel the need to redress such problems; the fear of being ridiculed or being mocked deters them continually. Another way of approaching the problem and its subsequent treatment is to identify the factors leading to its development. Your way of life plays an eminent role in deciding the quality of your health. You may seek help from a professional to bring about fruitful changes in your lifestyle.
Sexual disorders can be categorized as follows:
- Desire disorders: It often happens that a male or a female repeatedly feels laidback about indulging in sexual activity. The problem could be persistent in general or it could be directed towards a single partner. You may or may not develop this condition all of a sudden. Low levels of estrogen in females and low levels of testosterone in males are known to lead to such sexual irregularities.
- Sexual arousal disorders: Females at an older age or after childbirth often suffer from a sexual arousal disorder. The condition could also be found in young adults. It is characterized by a dry vagina and the lack of pleasure during foreplay or intercourse. Amid males this problem is prevalently known as erectile dysfunction. A man might not be able to enjoy physical contact with his partner. Men usually face difficulties in having a proper erection. The male organ in such a case is only partly erected.
- Sexual orgasm disorders: If you are on certain medications or have been experiencing frequent bouts of anxiety, attaining climax can be a headache. Patients of this disorder either fail to have an orgasm or it is extremely delayed.
- Sexual pain disorders: Pain disorders are more common in women. In most cases, painful intercourse is the result of lack of arousal. If the vagina is not sufficiently lubricated, a woman might experience severe pain. Pain can also be the symptom of a serious underlying disease like vaginismus. A medical condition where a man faces painful erection due to excess accumulation of blood in the penis is referred to as priapism.
What are the medicines I must consume planning for pregnancy. Have read we must take folic acids. Can you suggest a good medicine. Should I reduce my weight at present I am 60 for 157 cms height.
Having sex on the 7th day of menstrual cycle, as in 2ND day after the bleeding ceases will lead to pregnancy?
I am 23 years old. Recently I did ultra sound, thickened endometrium was found in reports. Apart from these everything is normal. My periods are very heavy but not painful. My haemoglobean is 9.2. And blood pressure is always very low. And I am also suffering from severe hair fall since 10 years. My gynacologist giving me drosmac 20. Please suggest me. About all these problem.
My daughter is 21 years old. She suffers from lower abdominal pain during periods. Also I have complains of itching and burning sensation around my vagina. I am using C & D to wash.
I am 27 years old female. I have one kid 3 year old. After my pregnancy I face two problem one is irregular period and another one is gaining weight. Now I am 72 kg. My belly fat was too much. Pls help me out.
The hormone human chorionic gonadotropin(better known as hCG) is produced during pregnancy.
It is made by cells formed in the placenta, which nourishes the egg after it has been fertilized and becomes attached to the uterine wall.
Levels can first be detected by a blood test about 11 days after conception and about 12-14 days after conception by a urine test.
Typically, the hCG levels will double every 72 hours. The level will reach its peak in the first 8-11 weeks of pregnancy and then will decline and level off for the remainder of the pregnancy.
Key Things To Remember About HCG Levels -
- As you get further along in pregnancy and the hCG level gets higher, the time it takes to double can increase to about every 96 hours.
- Caution must be used in making too much of hCG numbers. A normal pregnancy may have low hCG levels and result in a perfectly healthy baby. The results from an ultrasound after 5 -6 weeks gestation are much more accurate than using hCG numbers.
- An hCG level of less than 5mIU/ml is considered negative for pregnancy, and anything above 25mIU/ml is considered positive for pregnancy.
- The hCG hormone is measured in milli-international units per milliliter (mIU/ml).
- A transvaginal ultrasound should be able to show at least a gestational sac once the hCG levels have reached between 2,000mIU/ml. Because levels can differentiate so much and conception dating can be wrong, a diagnosis should not be made by ultrasound findings until the hCG level has reached at least 2,000.
- A single hCG reading is not enough information for most diagnoses. When there is a question regarding the health of the pregnancy, multiple testings of hCG done a couple of days apart give a more accurate assessment of the situation.
- The hCG levels should not be used to date a pregnancy, since these numbers can vary so widely.
- There are two common types of hCG tests. A qualitativehCG test detects if hCG is present in the blood. A quantitative hCG test (or beta hCG) measures the amount of hCG actually present in the blood.
- Guideline To HCG Levels During Pregnancy
hCG levels in weeks from LMP (gestational age):
- 3 weeks LMP: 5-50 mIU/ml
- 4 weeks LMP: 5-426 mIU/ml
- 5 weeks LMP: 18-7,340 mIU/ml
- 6 weeks LMP: 1,080-56,500 mIU/ml
- 7-8 weeks LMP: 7, 650-229,000 mIU/ml
- 9-12 weeks LMP: 25,700-288,000 mIU/ml
- 13-16 weeks LMP: 13,300-254,000 mIU/ml
- 17-24 weeks LMP: 4,060-165,400 mIU/ml
- 25-40 weeks LMP: 3,640-117,000 mIU/ml
* These numbers are just a guideline, every woman's level of hCG can rise differently. It is not necessarily the level that matters, but rather the change in the level.
What Can A Low HCG Level Mean?
A low hCG level can mean any number of things and should be rechecked within 48-72 hours to see how the level is changing.
A low hCG level can indicate:
- Miscalculation of pregnancy dating
- Possible miscarriage or blighted ovum
- Ectopic pregnancy
What Can A High HCG Level Mean?
A high level of hCG can also mean a number of things and should be rechecked within 48-72 hours to evaluate changes in the level.
A high hCG level can indicate:
- Miscalculation of pregnancy dating
- Molar pregnancy
- Multiple pregnancy
If you are a health conscious individual, you may want to avoid eating oily, fatty and spicy foods to satisfy your hunger. If you are looking for delicious, easy to make food items, which are good for your health, there are many items which will fit your requirement and are easily available or can be simply prepared.
Here is a list of food items which healthy people eat when they are hungry:
- Popcorn is a nutritious and quite a satisfactory snack, which can be prepared in a few minutes. You may prepare various blends of popcorn, which may include spicy oregano, curry paprika or garlic flavored ones.
You may have avocados in different preparations. Avocados are considered to be very healthy and contain mono-unsaturated fats. You can stuff avocados with your desired ingredients and sauces for filling.
You can make a fresh tray mix for snack.This can be prepared using different types of nuts and grapes, cherries or blueberries. Use low carbohydrate products in the fruit mix.
Chia seed pudding is a simple food item, which is good for both adults and children. It is high in calcium, fiber, proteins and contains healthy fats.
Granola bars are great light food items, which can be made at home without baking.
Chocolate coconut oat balls are good snack options for health conscious people. These do not require baking and usual kitchen ingredients are enough for making them.
You can have roasted chickpeas in different flavors. Chickpeas are full of protein and fiber and you can add any blend of spice to make crispy, roasted chickpeas. The BBQ flavor is ideal to be used in this preparation.
Having seasonal vegetables with dips is a great and healthy option for snacks and other meals as well. You can customize this according to your wishes and can use various sorts of dips. This makes this preparation quite different and much tastier than normal salads.
A simple vegetable pizza can be prepared at home. It is quite delicious and takes less than thirty minutes to prepare. Without adding a lot of cheese and spreads, you can simply enjoy this pizza.
You can prepare breakfast muffins, which are simple to bake they contain milk and are rich in fiber and quite filling for breakfast.
Oats are very healthy as they are full of dietary fiber and contain slow releasing carbohydrates. Oats can be mixed with milk and you may use any kind of topping like a fruit or nut butter and can be consumed as a healthy breakfast option.
There are many healthy food options to choose from, but for getting a complete food chart based on healthy food items, you should consult a dietitian.
Although confused with natural and temporal feelings of grief or sadness, depression is not merely a weakness or something to be taken lightly. It is quite a serious issue and can last for long periods of time.
Depression does not merely involve feelings of hopelessness, helplessness, and worthlessness, but is much more terrible and usually has a detrimental effect on your day-to-day functioning.
There are many different types of depression. These include:
1. Major depression
2. Bipolar depression
3. Psychotic depression
4. Chronic depression (even dysthymia)
5. Seasonal depression
6. Substance-induced depression
7. Postpartum depression
8. Double depression
9. Treatment-resistant depression
10. Secondary depression
11. Masked depression
Symptoms: Signs and symptoms of clinical depression can vary depending largely on how severe it is, how long it lasts and how often it comes into play, and differs from individual to individual. While some might experience but a few signs of depression, others might experience more. Here is a list of symptoms that might indicate that you may be suffering from depression:
1. Being depressed for most parts of the day, especially in the morning
2. Feeling guilty or worthless almost every day
3. More inclined towards pessimism
4. Insomnia or hypersomnia
5. Regular contemplations of death or suicide
6. Significant weight gains or weight loss
7. Appetite loss or overeating
8. Feelings of high fatigue and low energy levels almost every day
9. Indecisiveness or impaired focus and difficulty concentrating
10. Lack of interest in almost all daily activities or hobbies, including sexual activity
11. Irritability and restlessness
12. Cramps, headaches and digestive problems which persist even with treatment
Causes: Although the exact causes of depression have not been determined as of yet, depression may be caused by a combination of a number of factors:
1. Biological differences
2. Hormonal imbalances
3. Brain chemistry
4. Inherited traits or genetic disorders.
Hello sir mere left breast mein pain hota toh iska ilaj kya mene heart specialist ko aur ladies doctor ke pass bhi medicine aur davaiya chalu par breast mein kuch haddi jaisa lagne laga hai ganth ki tarah wo haddi/ganth dard hota hai tabhi ati fir jati hai plzzz ans me. Qki mujhe bhot pain hota blood pressure bhi bhadhta iske karn.
How many time takes to girl become pregnant after intercourse? What is the conditions for a men and women to become parents? I need to know this basic things.
Menstrual cramps are a common occurrence in women who are of childbearing age. The pain is mostly felt in the back or lower abdomen. Menstruation is unavoidable and natural, but the cramps associated with it can disrupt your normal lifestyle. You find it hard to focus and concentrate on your work, among other things. Fortunately, there are ways to counter your pain.
So, here are 10 ways to relieve your period cramps-
Over-the-counter pain medications such as ibuprofen and naproxen can provide relief. Ibuprofen is effective in lowering prostaglandins (hormones responsible for menstrual cramps). But you need to take the medicine 3-4 days before your periods start.
This may surprise you, but birth control pills can also reduce pain. Besides regulating your periods, they also maintain a steady hormonal level in your body. When hormones aren’t fluctuating, the severity of pain reduces.
Maintaining a healthy diet can provide long-term relief from menstrual cramps. If you have a healthy weight, you would experience lesser pain. Oestrogen is produced by fat cells and abnormal amounts of fat cells can increase its production, and when you have a healthy weight, you can prevent hormonal imbalances.
Drink plenty of water—it not only keeps you hydrated but also keeps your hormones in balance.
Stay away from beverages that contain caffeine, such as coffees and sodas. Caffeine is inflammatory in nature, and it will only worsen your pain.
Yes, moving too much during periods sounds crazy, but exercising can reduce your pain! If you exercise regularly, your stress levels reduce (too much stress worsens pain) and your body releases endorphins, which will lessen the pain considerably.
Cramps are stubborn, and sometimes all the preventive measures fail. At times like these, heat is your best friend. Whether it is a heating bag on your abdomen or a nice, warm bath, heat can reduce your pain and make you feel comfortable.
Sometimes, magnesium deficiency can trigger pain and make your life difficult. Do consume plenty of magnesium-rich foods such as dark leafy vegetables, bananas, yoghurt, nuts, fish, whole grains, etc.
Sweet or salty cravings are common during periods. But you need to stay far away from all kinds of processed foods, because they will only cause more pain.
Yoga is an excellent remedy for menstrual cramping. If you wish to discuss about any specific problem, you can consult a gynaecologist.
After how many days after intercourse we should take ipill to avoid pregnancy. Does it work efficiently. Does it have any harmful effects.
• Cut down salt (common table salt) intake in your diet to avoid hypertension. Intake should not exceed more then 2 to 2.5 gm a day.
• Avoid foods rich in cholesterol: ground nut oil, ghee, butter, whole milk, eggs, lard (fats derived from pig meat), tallow (fats derived from goat or sheep mutton) – all non-vegetarian food contain cholesterol in varied amount.
• Avoid non-vegetarian food especially red meat.
• Increase intake of foods that contain PUFA`s (poly unsaturated fatty acids): flax / linseed oil is the richest source of PUFA`s. Other oils that contain PUFA`s are safflower oil, soybean oil, sesame oil, olive oil. As all oils are high in fats, its consumption should be limited. The intake of oils should not exceed 20gms a day.
• Sesame oil and almond oil hinders the absorption of LDL (low-density lipoproteins), so it is advisable to use replace other cooking oils by sesame oil.
• Increase your intake of water.
• Consume whole grain cereals and whole pulses.
• Take high fiber diet - whole grains, bran, oat, green leafy vegetables etc.
• Cut down the intake of sugar and other sweeteners.
• Avoid fat-rich portions of flesh foods. Instead have lean meat.
• Avoid fat-rich desserts and fried snacks like cakes, pastries, puddings etc
• Instead of frying food boil, steam, grill or roast food.
• Avoid coffee and caffeinated drinks, junk food – pizza, burgers etc.
• Consume food rich in magnesium.
– Nuts and sea food, green leafy vegetables, sea plants like Japanese sea plants, whole grains, peas, lotus stem, pulses, legumes and oil seeds.
• Increase intake of vitamin C, it maintains the elasticity and integrity of the artery walls.
– Citrus fruits, green leafy vegetables, vegetables- cabbage, broccoli, tubers- potatoes and sweet potatoes.
• Increase calcium intake:-
– milk and sea food, nuts- ground nuts, walnut, almond and cashew nuts; green leafy vegetables, whole grains, fruits like - custard apple and banana.
– Peas, lotus stem, pulses, legumes and oil seeds