Find numerous Endocrinologists in India from the comfort of your home on Lybrate.com. You will find Endocrinologists with more than 35 years of experience on Lybrate.com. Find the best Endocrinologists online in Chennai. View the profile of medical specialists and their reviews from other patients to make an informed decision.
Book Clinic Appointment
Prevention & Treatment of Diabetes
Treatment of Thyroid Disorders
Treatment Of Erectile Dysfunction
Treatment Of Male Sexual Problems
Treatment of Underactive Thyroid
Treatment of Hormonal Imbalance
Treatment of Hyperthyroidism
Treatment Of Female Sexual Problems
Thyroid Problems Treatment
Treatment of Male Infertility or Impotency
Thyroid Disorder Treatment
Treatment of Growth Hormone Deficiency
Diabetic Diet Counseling
Urinary Incontinence (Ui) Treatment
Treatment of Gestational Diabetes
Submit a review for Dr. Prakash Kennedy J KYour feedback matters!
Diabetes is a condition where the blood sugar level rises in your body either due to less insulin level in the body or reduced sensitivity of the body to insulin. The foods you eat have a major role in controlling your blood sugar levels. You need to pick your foods wisely to prevent your blood sugar levels from spiking.
The various foods that you should be eating if you have diabetes are:
1. Dark chocolate: Chocolate contains good amounts of flavonoids that help in improving insulin sensitivity and limits food cravings. It also reduces your chances of heart attack.
2. Blueberries: Blueberries are rich in fiber that helps you in managing your blood sugar levels. They also contain anthocyanins that assist in regulating your blood sugar levels.
3. Fish: Fish is rich in Omega 3 fatty acids that reduce inflammation in the body, thus reducing your chances of heart problems. Fish is also a good source of protein that helps you in feeling fuller.
4. Olive oil: Olive oil is rich in antioxidants that help in reducing your chances of heart diseases and diabetes.
5. Oranges: Make sure you eat plenty of oranges as they are rich in vitamin C and they reduce the risk of diabetes. You may also opt for broccoli or strawberries.
The various foods you should avoid are:
1. White rice: White rice is a refined grain which, when consumed, tends to spike your blood sugar levels. You can instead opt for brown rice.
2. Bananas: Banana may contain vitamins and minerals, but are also rich in carbohydrates. Instead, opt for fruits like berries that are not only rich in fiber and antioxidants, but also have a low glycemic index.
3. Sugary foods: The term sugary foods is used to describe foods such as pastries, cakes and cookies. These foods are carbohydrate rich and do not contribute much in making the body healthy. Instead, replace them with natural foods such as chickpeas and peanuts.
4. Dried fruit: Various dried fruits contain high concentration of sugar, which happens due to the dehydration process by which they are formed. So replace them with fresh fruits such as guava and peaches to control your blood sugar levels.
Amongst all other dry-fruits, Almonds and Walnuts can be had in moderation as they contain essential fatty acids and do not effect blood sugars.
When pancreas fails to produce insulin. It causes high sugar level in blood.
When cells of the body. Not responding to insulin, properly being unable absorb glucose from blood, again sugar level increased in blood.
When above both the conditions continue over prolonged period, this condition is known diabetes.
Some times pregnant women, having no history of
Diabetes develop high blood sugar, this condition is known as'gestational- diabetes'
High sugar level in blood continues over a prolonged period, following symptoms are produced
# frequent urination
# increased thirst
# increased hunger
# darkness before eyes etc
# cardiovascular diseases
# kidney complication
# foot ulcer.
# damage of eyes, etc
Vit -c: is a strong antioxidant which fights free radicals.
Diabetics have 30% lower
Vit'c' as compared to non diabetics.(citrus fruits, fresh veg. Peppe, etc.)
Vit'e' & a: protect eyes.(oil-seeds, nuts)
Alpha lipoic acid, helps tissues to absorb glucose from blood
(orange, papaya, tomato etc)
Care & precautions:
# healthy life-style b adopted
# stress level b minimised.
# meditation, swimming, walking, aerobics b opted
# green leafy veg. Fresh fruits.
# diet rich in vit'e)
#spicy food, coffee, tea etc.
# loose cotton clothes b worn.
# no hot water bath b taken before sleep.
Anti oxidants for diabetics:
Orange/fish/grapes/carrots/green leaffy veg/ milk
Diabetes is a disease to be managed
Homoeopathy can take care of it, properly.