Lybrate.com has an excellent community of Gynaecologists in India. You will find Gynaecologists with more than 29 years of experience on Lybrate.com. You can find Gynaecologists online in Chennai and from across India. View the profile of medical specialists and their reviews from other patients to make an informed decision.
Book Clinic Appointment
Management of Abortion
Caesarean Section Procedure
Treatment Of Female Sexual Problems
Termination Of Pregnancy Procedure
Treatment Of Pregnancy Problems
Well Woman Healthcheck
Treatment Of Female Sexual Problems
Treatment Of Medical Diseases In Pregnancy
Treatment Of Menstrual Problems
Intra-Uterine Insemination (IUI) Treatment
Medical Termination Of Pregnancy (Mtp) Procedure
Gynecology Laparoscopy Procedures
Pap Smear Procedure
Submit a review for Dr. Poornima GopikrishnaYour feedback matters!
Swine Flu in Pregnancy
What is Swine Flu?
It is a respiratory(associated with breathing) disease caused by a virus. This virus is similar to the influenza virus responsible for causing the common cold.
The scientific name of the virus is H1N1 type A influenza virus.This strain was earlier known to infect pigs(swine family), thus the name swine flu.It is a new strain of the virus, previously unknown in humans, hence, there is no known immunity in humans against this virus.
What are the symptoms:
There are three main symptoms :
shortness of breath.
and a combination of one or many of these:
Headache, aching muscles, running nose, sneezing, chills, tiredness, loss of appetite, vomiting, and diarrhea.
It is usually a mild disease for most people. Symptoms appear quickly and last for almost for one week to ten days.
How do I know if I am at higher risk?
Certain categories of people seem to be at higher risk for complications from swine flu. These are:
Asians, especially people living in poorly ventilated colonies.
People having associated ailments like - asthma, diabetes, paralysis, previous strokes, spinal problems, and jaundice.
Extremes of body weight;very thin built or obese people.
Teenage mothers, women in their second and third trimesters are at higher risk.
How can swine flu harm my baby?
For the majority of pregnant women, swine flu does not cause any serious damage to the mother or the baby.
Fever in the first three months may increase the risk of neural tube and birth defects.
Fever during labor may cause neonatal convulsions, encephalopathy, cerebral palsy and fetal death.
Pregnant women should always take fever seriously and contact their doctor when the temperature goes more than 100 degrees.
How does swine flu affect me during my pregnancy?
Active infection by swine flu virus may cause miscarriages, preterm delivery, and adverse delivery outcomes.
There is a higher risk of hospitalization/ ICU admission during pregnancy.
Chest infections/ Secondary bacterial infections are common resulting in pneumonia or even brain infections.
What can I do to protect myself?
Protection can be at three levels:
1) Taking general precautions- which is most useful for prevention.
2) Use of vaccines.
3) use of drugs
Use of face masks will not prevent swine flu. Focus instead on hygiene and clean surroundings.
It is safe to consume well cooked pork and pork products.
Contrary to all the negative reviews you have been perpetually receiving about coffee and its innumerable ill effects, latest studies have emerged with some good news for the world's most loved beverage. Now being hailed as the elixir of life, coffee is said to improve cell regeneration besides increasing immunity and stamina, thereby increasing life expectancy for compulsive caffeine addicts. That does not mean indulging in an indiscriminate drinking of coffee. The consumption must naturally be kept in check as well; the harmful side effects of drinking excess coffee still stand.
The fact that coffee is the most delicious beverage and preferred by young and old alike in all its forms and shapes, makes it even better.
- Coffee however is also endowed with the power to prevent certain chronic diseases that affect people in their advanced age- Parkinson's disease, Diabetes, prostate cancer, liver malfunction, even dementia and Alzheimer's.
- It also helps in easing movement problems common in old age. This is the primary reason why coffee enables you to lead a longer life.
- Another factor working in favor of coffee is its beans consist of some extremely useful elements, including antioxidants and antibacterial substances that help in fighting viral pathogens.
- Besides increasing life span, well up to hundred years of age, coffee is also reputed to decrease the risk of premature death in adults by a total of 8 percent. Drinking coffee regularly is therefore a good habit to inculcate for more than one reason.
Usually coffee drinkers are also smokers. If you want to reap the full benefits of coffee, you must quit smoking and use of other harmful substances. This is because people addicted to nicotine and tobacco tend to develop serious disorders with age, which disable them from enjoying a longer life span.
Coffee also helps to keep weight in check thereby keeping diseases associated with excessive body weight at bay.
I always wish to have sex and from last one month I have sex with two different girls and that is without protection is it dangerous.
Pregnancy is a welcome change in a woman's life. She is full of hope and happiness while awaiting the birth of her bundle of joy. However, it is almost inevitable to bring up the topic of conception and leave out a host of bodily alterations or disadvantages it entails. You might eagerly wait for months in a row to conceive and once you do the signs of health issues show. Most noticeable of all other problems are the ones affecting your skin. Skin problems can be immensely predominant and widespread in a pregnant mother; so much so that her psychological disposition might vary considerably.
Commonly observed symptoms of the skin that may affect you during pregnancy:
- Your eyes may look puffy and withdrawn: While the news of a baby lighting up your life in a few months' time makes you very happy, it also subjects your body to exhaustion. It is natural for expecting mothers to feel tired and wasted. Acute iron deficiency and poor blood circulation could result in fatigue that further surfaces as dark circles and puffy bags under your eyes.
- Your face could develop acne suddenly: Acne is caused mainly because of excess sebum secretions from the oil glands present in your body. Excess oil tends to choke the open pores of your skin preventing it from breathing. Increased levels of progesterone are maintained by the human body for a strong uterine lining that is again required for the healthy development of a child; progesterone kicks off oil secretions.
- Spider like marks could spot your skin: Hormonal imbalances, sudden increase in weight, and heightened pressure in the veins may cause the blood vessels in your face to redden and grow big; the veins then look like the web of a spider. This condition is often referred to as Spider Angiomas.
- Big dark patches can also be seen: During pregnancy, your body has an excess of both oestrogen and progesterone. These hormones incite the impact of melanocytes, thus resulting in big dark patches on your skin. The condition is more prevalently known as Melasma.
Hello Doc, I have one problem in every month my period cycle are not proper every month before date in periods.
I had unprotected sex with my husband on Nov 17th and I took postpone 72 on 18th. Then I got early periods Nov 24 th to 29th. But my last periods date Nov 7th to 13th. This Dec I didn't get periods till now. Any chance of pregnancy? When will I get my periods? please help me.
Hi I am 35 year old .The size of my follicle at right size was 19x19 mm on day 11 and on day 12 it is 19x20 mm without any medicine is it normal.
Hi madam I having irregular periods since 4 years. I have gained my wait also please tell me solution fir regular periods and loss wait also plz.
There are a few very common things that a man consumes or does every day without even realizing, that they have a tendency to reduce his fertility. These causes start from drinking and could end with something as harmless as caffeine.
Let's see which habits can cause reduction in sperm count thereby reducing fertility of a man.
- Eating processed meat harms sperm quality.
- Excessive usage of laptop can also lead to reduction in sperm count because of the heat that a laptop releases.
- Hormonal imbalance also causes low sperm production.
- If a man is underweight or overweight, this could also lead to less production of sperm. So, a man should watch his weight before thinking of extending his family.
- Exposure to too much heat for a prolonged time leads to reduction in sperm count.
- Regular smoking also leads to reduction in sperm count.
- Excessive stress also causes reduction in sperm count.
- Regular and continuous exposure to chemicals like xylene, painting material and metal like lead also leads to low sperm count.
- Chemicals present in sunscreen lotion can harm a man's sperm count so one should be alert while using a sunscreen lotion.
- Sex toys also cause infertility in men because of presence of phthalates in them.
- Regular intake of canned food can also contribute in low sperm count.
- Regular drinking habits reduce testosterone levels thereby reducing the quality and production of sperm.
- Excessive intake of canned food leads to intake of bisphenol A which lowers down the quality of the sperm.
- Excess intake of caffeine also leads to reduction in sperm count.
- Lack of exercise and laziness also reduces sperm count to a great extent.
Some of the above mentioned things can be unavoidable, but point here is that taking everything in moderate quantity doesn't do any harm but problem occurs when the intake is excessive, regular and beyond limit. So, it's better to reduce the quantity and regular use of such things than letting it affect your sperm count. If you wish to discuss about any specific problem, you can consult a Gynaecologist.
I am a 22 years old female. My vagina and its area are very black. I have regular periods. I am going to marry within 1 year. please prescribe any medicine or lotion for me.
It may lead to destruction of the joint articular surface.
Avn mostly affects people between 30 to50 yrs of age
What is the treatment?
Ayurvedic medicines that restart the blood supply of joint to improve use of the joint
Special medicines to improve your bone healing process.& stop further damage.
Different panchakarma & upakarma procedures to make joint free to move & make joint strong too.
Massage with different oil, pind swed,& many more therapy
Stage of the disease
Patients support & willpower.
Since many days before I was suffering from time to time intestinal infection I took many medicine lastly doctor suggest me to take DAROLAC Z sachets I tk it for 4 days at bed time with cup of water but please help me for how many days I hv to tk it more please because I forgot to tell d doctor abt how long shall. I take It.
I am 28 years old female, having discharge white milky with bad smell irregularly with backache since last months. I am suffering lot of embarrassment and could not disclosed. Such discharge continue pressed me to use sanitary pads all the days. Please suggest the treatment and problems.
A left ventricular assist device is an electromechanical device used in cases of advanced heart failure. In later stages of heart failure when the heart is weakened and no longer able to pump the necessary amount of blood, a left ventricular assist device can be surgically implanted to assist the heart’s functions.
A left ventricular assist device is often used as a short term solution and is different from a pacemaker, which is a long term cardiac assist device. The cases in which a left ventricular assist device is often used are:
- As a temporary solution while a cardiac failure patient is on a transplant list or otherwise waiting for a heart transplant.
- During recovery from cardiac surgery when the heart is not strong enough to function on its own. The device would soon be removed as the patient recovers.
- During recovery from heart attacks
Having a left ventricular assist device implanted gives the heart time to rest and recover, leading you to the point where your heart can go back to functioning on its own. However, there are cases where a left ventricular assist device can be implanted as a long term solution. This treatment is called Destination Therapy and requires implanting a left ventricular assist device for several months or several years.
How a Left Ventricular Assist Device works?
A Left Ventricular Assist Device can only be surgically implanted. It has both internal and external components with a pump attached to your heart and a controller on the outside of the body. The pump is attached to the heart with a tube that directs blood into the aorta. The pump and the controller are connected through a cable called the driveline. Since the Left Ventricular Assist Device is powered by electricity or batteries, a power source is also worn outside the body and is attached to the controller, powering both the controller and the pump.
How a Left Ventricular Assist Device can affect your lifestyle?
Many people around the world have Left Ventricular Assist Devices implanted on both a temporary and permanent basis. While a person should be resting while recovering from a heart attack or cardiac surgery, it is possible to go about your normal daily life whilst having a Left Ventricular Assist Device implanted. While certain exercises and stress should be avoided when having a heart condition or when implanted with a Left Ventricular Assist Device, with carrying cases for power sources and controller that can operate from various different power sources, it is easy to live a normal productive life. If you wish to discuss about any specific problem, you can consult a Cardiologist.