Lybrate.com has an excellent community of ENT Specialists in India. You will find ENT Specialists with more than 38 years of experience on Lybrate.com. You can find ENT Specialists online in Chennai and from across India. View the profile of medical specialists and their reviews from other patients to make an informed decision.
Book Clinic Appointment
Cysts Removal Procedure
Treatment of Tonsils (Tonsillitis)
Hearing Aid Fitting
Treatment of Throat and Voice Problems
Earlobe Repair Procedure
Treatment of Sleep Disturbance
Nose Reshaping Procedure
Hearing Testing Techniques
Nasal And Sinus Allergy Care
Cochlear Implant Procedure
Ear Micro Surgery
Treatment Of Hearing Deficiency
Submit a review for Dr. Pasifica SimonYour feedback matters!
Vertigo is a medical condition where the affected person feels that the world or surrounding environment is spinning or moving. It is accompanied with nausea, vomiting, sweating and having problems in walking steadily. Moving your head worsens this condition. An illusion of movement is observed.
Vertigo arises from several conditions. There are mainly two types of Vertigo:
Peripheral Vertigo: This is the most common vertigo and is caused often due to a problem in the balance mechanism of the inner ear. The causes include:
- Benign Paroxysmal Positional Vertigo: Being one of the common causes of vertigo, BPPV occurs due to certain head movements when standing up or bending over. The attacks are short, powerful and recurrent in nature. Nausea is also accompanied. A feeling of lightheadedness and despaired balance is observed after the attack. Fragments of calcium carbonate crystals are broken off from the channel linings present in the inner ear. These fragments cause the problem by getting into the ear fluid canals, and certain head movement sweeps them across the canal causing vertigo.
- Head Injury: Vertigo develops due to head injuries, and the symptoms are similar to that of dizziness.
- Labyrinthitis: It is an infection in the inner ear, which causes the labyrinth of the ear to get inflamed. The labyrinth controls our hearing and balance. An inflammation causes it to send different information than the other, normal ear. This conflict causes vertigo. Such vertigo can be accompanied by nausea, vomiting, loss of hearing and ear pain.
- Vestibular Neuronitis: This is a condition pertaining to the inner ear, which causes inflammation of the nerve which connects the labyrinth to the brain. The condition arises from viral infections. Nausea and vomiting are observed, and this condition leads to vertigo.
- Meniere's Disease: This rare condition in the inner ear causes severe vertigo along with hearing loss and aural fullness. Meniere's disease prompts sudden vertigo attacks with nausea and vomiting.
Central Vertigo: Central vertigo arises from problems in the cerebellum of the brain and brainstem. Causes include:
- Sclerosis, a condition which affects the central nervous system
- Acoustic neuroma, a type of brain cancer growing on the acoustic nerve
- Brain tumors, stroke or transient ischemic attack
- Certain medications
Treatment of vertigo depends on the cause and on the extent of symptoms. Labyrinthis and vestibular neuronitis are cured by vestibular rehabilitation and medication. BBVV is treated using a process called the Epley maneuver. Meniere's disease is cured by modes of dietary restriction, medication, treating tinnitus and treating hearing loss. Generally, curing the cause of vertigo helps in healing the disorder.
Vertigo is caused by different reasons and factors and rectification of these factors helps in the treatment of vertigo.
Sir 2 years back i had my nose surgery after dat the shape of my nose changed.Before surgery my nose was gud but after surgery the middle part of my nose got flat.Wat would you sugest me 2 get back my nose in shape?
I have so much ear pain two days onwards. And little water come through my year tomorrow. What can I do now?
I have pilonidal sinus, it is inflamed but not draining, but the area feels a lot of pain near the sacrum area and lower back pain. Please guide me further.
Hi. I am suresh. I am 25 years old. My problem is from last 3 month at throat place infection unhealthy uvula. Morning wakeup time some dry. Breathing problem. Neck place some pain came. I already used some tables used but not cured. Have any tests for this. Please suggest me.
My dad is 65+years old. He is experiencing a continuous sound in his left ear from one year. Sound is like waves on sea shore. Also his hearing capacity of that ear has degraded. Is it curable with medicine or should we think about using hearing aids.
My ear was operated in jan 2016. It was masteriod bone operation. Now for few months, I had pain in my head. My eyes are stressed and both ears pain. But my right ear was operated. Tell me what to do I am not able to concentrate in my studies. When I read two lines only, it feels to move away off the book. It seems that my head is not able to be balanced.
I am passing brown fluid as a discharge whats wrong with me? and I am also having vertigo while lying in bed. What should I do?
I have a problem here inside my throat, I have a feeling not so well. Normally when the time I eat it's ok, but after I shallow finish to eat, they have a pain to my throat, I feel they have some big stone to full my breath its so hurt to breast more pain.
Am female 24years old I have headache since 5years I consult many dr's that they saying it's SINUS took CT scan, X-ray nothing in that. Took many tablets if I got this ache means getting depression stress can't controlling myself suggest me any tablets for this ache is there any problem (headache) means.
My friend has dizziness, baggy eyes, severe headache on sides very bad confused state of mind, inability to sleep peacefully and bad temper at time. Please suggest something.
I have tonsils from 6 years onwards nd now I am using homeopathy from 6 months there is some effect but now I am thinking to get operated what should I do.
I have sinus problem since last two year. In cold days I suffer a lot. I can not breath properly. Please suggest me what should I do?
Pus comes out from my right ear when water goes in. Please suggest me some ear drops. Also recently when cleaning my ear with cotton buds I got some blood. Please suggest me. I do not have ear pain and can hear normally.
Ya I consult my doc they check with there instrument. There was a tear. He told me that always put cotton in ear. Now its paining i am taking medicines with vitamin antibiotic and painkiller. But how much time it will take to get recover? Please advice..
I am suffering from a seasonal allergy this monsoon with runny nose and sneezing in most of the days . As medication, I am taking Livocet d twice a day and Nasoclear saline nasal drops 3 times . Is the medication good to continue?(On a general immunity boost I have added echinacea MT twice and vitamin c to my diet)
I'm a 16 years old male. I know I don't have asthma, but whenever I run or move quickly or sprint for like 10 metres, I always end up either breathing heavily with chest pain (tightening) or vomiting. Even my throat starts hurting whenever I breathe in. Its feels very cold. Im in the school team for sports and I risk losing my place in the team if this continues. Any suggestions as to what it is? I sometimes also feel dizzy. But mostly completely exhausted. Even exercising for 5 mins gets me in that state.
My friend' s back throat got damaged from inside when pierced with hard stick and started bleeding. But bleeding stopped after some time. After 6 days also, it hurts while swallowing.Please do help
There are various type of nosebleed that can be caused by a variety of conditions. While some of them may not be too serious, one must never ignore heavy and persistent nosebleed. Nosebleeds are of two kinds: anterior nosebleed and posterior nosebleed. While 90% of all nosebleeds are anterior nosebleeds, the posterior nosebleeds are far less common and may be slightly more serious in nature. An anterior nosebleed is usually caused in the blood vessels that lie on the front portion of the nose and can be controlled easily. A posterior nosebleed usually comes from damage to an artery in the rear portion of the nose. Infection, trauma, allergic reactions and other such causes may be behind a nosebleed.
Let us cast a glance on the tips to prevent nosebleeds.
- Salt water and saline nose drops can be used in order to prevent nosebleeds. It is important to take these on a regular basis in case you are experiencing these nosebleeds on a regular basis.
- You can also consult doctor, who may prescribe blood thinners so that the blood does not clot and lead to a nosebleed. You will need to ensure that you take such medication only when the doctor prescribes the same.
- The use of painkillers like Aspirin and other non-steroid anti-inflammatory drugs must be limited. Sometimes, taking such medication too frequently may lead to nosebleeds.
- You would do well to control your blood pressure because hypertension and other forms of high blood pressure can also cause nosebleeds. Lifestyle changes like your diet and exercise can help in keeping a more stable blood pressure level so that you do not fall prey to frequent nosebleeds.
- Humidify your home with a humidifier so that the air does not get too dry. Many times, this causes nosebleeds. Also, you may want to keep the heat down in the bedrooms. Many nosebleeds happen due to too warm temperatures while you are sleeping.
- Nose picking should also be discouraged as it can lead to nosebleeds in case there is a scratch or any other kind of damage when you try to force the dirt out.
- It has also been found that smoking has a connection with nosebleeds. This can be fixed if the patient quits smoking.
- One should not use nasal sprays without a prescription from a doctor. This also includes antihistamines, decongestants as well as other medicated sprays. These may not suit the patient at all times, and may also lead to nosebleeds.
In the event of a nosebleed, you will need to lean forward with your head tilted backwards. This will stem the bleeding. If it is possible, you must also try and lie down immediately for a few minutes.