Lybrate.com has an excellent community of Ophthalmologists in India. You will find Ophthalmologists with more than 33 years of experience on Lybrate.com. You can find Ophthalmologists online in Chennai and from across India. View the profile of medical specialists and their reviews from other patients to make an informed decision.
Book Clinic Appointment
Eye Muscle Surgeries
Lasik Surgery Treatment
Reduced Vision Treatment
Retina And Lasik Surgery
Treatment of Squint
Visual Field Testing
Age-Related Macular Degeneration Treatment
Diabetic Retinopathy Lasers
Endoscopic Dcr Procedure
Laser Refractive Surgery
Laser Cataract Surgery
Submit a review for Dr. PadmavathiYour feedback matters!
Sir I had lasik surgery earlier but still I am having problem with my eyesight. Can I have it again.
I have eye sight, I have glasses also I want to get rid of glasses, is there any option to get rid of glass es, please advise.
Can cataract be cured with medicine without getting operated once it is been diagnosed at an early age?
I have been experiencing itchy and watery eyes since last fortnight. I do wash eyes with cold water to overcome itchiness, but after sometime experience it again. Is this allergy or any serious condition? Please advise!
My pennies is too small when am in mood it is 4 inches without mood 2 inches. Due to this I can't participate easily in sex and am not feeling the feel of sex. Am seeing so many medicine's in Internet and hearing some medicine names for enlarge of pennies but I don't to believe all that because if there any side effects I should suffer for that. So please say me how to enlarge my pennies in natural way . Say me natural medicine's to enlarge my pennies to satisfy my partner. So please help me.
I am a 25 year old male. M suffering from eye problem. When I read books than water comes from my eyes. What can I do for this?
My eyes is etching fro. Last 2 weeks a d want to do solution for my this eating eyes. If you have any solution then tell me I am waiting for this replay.
I have a habit of using internet so much and due to this my eye sight are decreasing day by day what should I do.
I am 19 years old boy. And I want to remove my specs. But I have a problem in vision. What should I do??
The retina is the third and innermost layer of the eye that catches light and helps us focus on things so that we can see clearly. This is one of the most important parts of the eye. The retina is made up of a number of light sensitive cells that are connected to nerve fibres. These nerve fibres help in transmitting the light into imagery through neuro impulses that reach the brain. There are many conditions and diseases that can affect this part of the eye.
Read on to know more.
- Macular degeneration: This is a common eye disease that is usually associated with aging and comes with symptoms like blurry vision and even blindness after a certain point. It can prevent a person from seeing things in a clear and sharp manner. This disease goes through a slow progression and can be of the dry or wet type.
- Diabetic retinopathy: This condition can leave one visually impaired in the long run with complete blindness. This complication usually arises when a person is suffering from diabetes. It can be proliferative or non-proliferative depending on the blood and fluid leakage as well as the severity of the inflammation in the retina. While the symptoms are very subtle, the advancement can begin at a very young age.
- Retinal vein occlusion: This condition usually happens when the veins of the retina gets obstructed or gets a blockage. This can lead to reduced blood flow to the entire area which can lead to significant vision impairment and an increase in the pressure on the eyes.
- Retinal tears and detachments: When the retina gets pulled and is subsequently lifted from its normal position, this can lead to a condition known as retinal tears and detachment. If this condition is not treated properly and on time, it can lead to vision loss in the long run. These tears can happen in smaller sections of the retina which can lead to retinal breaks causing detachments in the retina. This condition is most commonly seen in people over the age of 60.
- Posterior vitreous detachment: The vitreous is a gel like layer that allows the eye to retain its shape even as it allows the light to enter the eye and reach the retina. When the thin fibres connecting this layer and the retina get degenerated, there is a detachment that takes place between the two, leading to this condition.
- Epiretinal membrane and macular holes: The scar like tissue known as the epiretinal membrane that lines the back of the eyes. When the macular tissue gets distorted due to this membrane, a macular hole may form which can lead to progressive vision impairment.
I am 40 years old & I am having problem with eyesight in left eye from last week everything is light but if written in big letters that I can read under lights.
24, male.i am having headache from 2 week continuously. Eye burning. When I look down .it's pain more.
I am having redness, foreign body sensation and irritation in both eyes since last 6 months. Initially, it was diagnosed as allergy/conjunctivitis. Subsequently, it was diagnosed as Trachoma due to concretions under both eyelids which were later removed surgically. However, now a new problem of involuntary blinking has started. The problem increases while driving or in sun. Is this Dystonia? How to get rid of this problem?
My 10 year old son is having eye glasses and hardly concentrate on studies. How to improve his memory and remove his eye glass
I have red eyes and high blood pressure problem. It's been there since 5 years. I have completed many medicinal courses and had no effect. Please help.
I am 21 year old male. How can I reduce my eye power? I am myopic, are there any eye exercises/ medicines?
One of the most cutting edge eye procedures which has been very successful in practice and has been loved by millions of patients is LASIK. LASIK is a form of eye surgery performed with the help of a precise laser and is very effective in correcting nearsightedness, farsightedness as well as astigmatism (imperfections with the shape of the cornea). With any such procedure, there are bound to be myths which arise out of misconceptions. Some of those myths as well as the advantages of LASIK have ben enumerated below:
Myth # 1 – Lasik can only be performed up to a certain age
Many people think that LASIK cannot be performed on people of advanced age. This is a misconception as LASIK has been performed on people above 90 as well. There are some considerations however, such as the health of the person and the condition of the eyes. If there are no medical objections, then LASIK can be performed regardless of the age of the person. Doctors also tend to wait till young adulthood (around 18-20 years of age) before performing LASIK. However, LASIK procedures have been performed on young children with severe vision problems as well.
Myth # 2 – The technology behind LASIK is too new and thus not yet perfected
This is yet another commonly propagated myth about LASIK. The technology for this procedure has been around for quite some time and has ben performed with increasing regularity since the 1980s. There have been multiple long term studies done on people who underwent LASIK surgery and almost all of them have had favorable results both in the short term as well as the long term. It is a properly established field and means of treatment within ophthalmology and is subject to the same stringent standards testing as other treatments within the field of medicine.
Myth # 3 – LASIK can cause many complications such as dry eyes and night glares
Any surgical procedure has a certain chance of complications occurring. However, LASIK tends to have very low occurrences of complications. What many people tend to confuse complications with is the normal healing procedure. Dry eyes and night glares usually occur after the first few weeks of the procedure and is part of the healing process of the body. It usually tends to go way with the first few months itself.
Myth # 4 – Contact lenses are better than LASIK
While contact lenses do serve a purpose in correcting vision, they can often contribute to eye infections as well as irritations and headaches. Also contact lenses need to be changed every few weeks or so. LASIK surgery eliminates all of these hassles and you can have perfectly clear vision without having to worry about all the problems that contact lenses bring with them.
Myth # 5 – The LASIK procedure is painful
No other myth is farther from the truth. In this procedure, the surgeon creates a thin flap like structure out of the tissue within the cornea with the help of a laser. This layer is then used to reshape the cornea and thus correct vision problems. Antiseptic and numbing eye drops are used when performing this surgery which results in minimal discomfort that only stays during the initial stages. If you wish to discuss about any specific problem, you can consult an ophthalmologist and ask a free question.