Lybrate.com has an excellent community of Occupational Therapists in India. You will find Occupational Therapists with more than 30 years of experience on Lybrate.com. You can find Occupational Therapists online in Chennai and from across India. View the profile of medical specialists and their reviews from other patients to make an informed decision.
Book Clinic Appointment with Dr. P Sugumar
Speech Therapy Treatment
Sensory Integration Therapy
Occupational Therapy Treatment
Control Program Occupational Health - Pcmso
Minor Ot Service Procedures
Submit a review for Dr. P SugumarYour feedback matters!
I have frequent pains in my back and cannot sleep at night. Why does it happen and what is the cure?
I have neck pain for a long period of time, cervical spondylosis. I have tried many methods but still the pain is worse. I could feel that my shoulders also has become weak. Links l kindly let me know your to get rid of it. I am also thinking to buy infrared lamp. Pls suggest.
Any condition that results in numbness and tingling in the hand and arm caused by a pinched median nerve in the wrist leads to carpel tunnel syndrome. Irritation of the median nerve in this manner causes tingling and numbness of the thumb, index, and the middle fingers.
Symptoms: people mainly experience hand numbness, sensation of pins and needles in hand, hand pain at night, hand weakness/clumsiness (loss of gripping power) or wrist weakness.
1. Phalen sign- tingling in the median nerve distribution is induced by full flexion (or full extension for reverse phalen) of the wrists for up to 60 seconds (this test has 80% specificity).
2. The carpal compression test- this test involves applying firm pressure directly over the carpal tunnel, usually with the thumbs, for up to 30 seconds to reproduce symptoms (this test has specificity of 96%).
All special tests are performed by the physical therapist.
Diagnosis: carpel tunnel syndrome is suspectedly based on symptoms, supported by physical examination signs, and confirmed by nerve conduction testing.
Treatment: mild symptoms usually can be treated with home care.
1. Stop activities that cause numbness and pain. Rest your wrist longer between activities.
2. Ice your wrist for 10 to 15 minutes 1 or 2 times a day along with physiotherapy treatment.
3. Nonsteroidal anti-inflammatory drugs (nsaids) to relieve pain and reduce swelling.
4. Wear a wrist splint at night. This takes pressure off your median nerve.
The sooner you start treatment, the better your chances of stopping symptoms and preventing long-term damage to the nerve.
I am 52 years old, last six months I am suffering from neck and shoulder pain. I am no able to lift or rotate my arms. When I lie down within half an hour I get severe shoulder pain. I am struggling to wear cloths, to take bath and eve to sleep. Please, let me know what is the problem and remedy for this sir.
I am 34 year male. I am facing numbness in my right leg starting from right upper back since 1 and half month. I have no pain in my right leg. I am experiencing extreme upper backache and inflammation especially while lying on bed. Since last week my right foot and even left foot has swollen and toe of right food has turned blue. Since yesterday I have starting feeling pain in my left leg and I am unable to even stand and walk. I have seen a orthopedist who (after test) said that uric acid is on higher side and vitamin D is on lower side. I have also seen another doctor who has said that its veins compression. Please suggest what should I do. I am scared.
Hernia or what in Ayurveda is known as Antra Vriddhi, is a condition that takes place when an internal organ in your abdomen gets displaced and protrudes outward, giving rise to swelling in the abdominal region.
Even though you can develop a hernia anywhere in your body, it mostly occurs in the abdominal region and can affect both men and women at any age.
The causes of hernia are:
Even though hernia can be a hereditary condition, certain factors can contribute in causing it. These are:
- Persistent coughing
- Putting excess pressure while passing faeces
- Straining your abdominal muscles by exercising or lifting objects that are heavy
- Buildup of fluid in your abdominal cavity
Some of the symptoms that indicate you have hernia include a visible, hard protrusion, development of soft lumps and pain. However, some people may not experience any symptoms at all. Hernia can be of many types, depending on the part of the body affected and even varying on the basis of your gender. In worst cases, you may require surgery but Ayurveda can cure your hernia completely without the need of you going through a surgical process.
How does Ayurveda help?
Ayurveda helps in curing your hernia by focussing on your diet. If you follow these rules, you can cure yourself of hernia completely.
- Reduce the amount of food you eat in a day and take small meals frequently instead of the standard three meals.
- While eating, make sure you eat your food slowly.
- Drink lots of water and other fluids, but do not consume aerated drinks
- It is advised not to take water with your meals, but only to drink a glass of water an hour after and half an hour before each meal. By doing this, you reduce your chances of getting heartburn and aid in the proper functioning of the digestive system.
- Eating any form of raw food, such as uncooked meat and vegetables is strictly forbidden along with processed foods such as bread, cakes, cookies etc. However, when eating cooked food, make sure it's lightly cooked and not overcooked.
- Having a glass of juice freshly squeezed from vegetables or fruits is recommended, especially carrot juice as it is enriched with calcium and vitamin A that help in the healing process.
- Make sure that whole grains, nuts, seeds, vegetables and fruits are a part of your diet.
- Lastly, go for a walk after each meal and do not sleep after eating, especially if you've had a heavy meal.
Related Tip: "Hernia - What You Should Know About It"