Find numerous ENT Specialists in India from the comfort of your home on Lybrate.com. You will find ENT Specialists with more than 28 years of experience on Lybrate.com. Find the best ENT Specialists online in Chennai. View the profile of medical specialists and their reviews from other patients to make an informed decision.
Book Clinic Appointment with Dr. Nithya Narayanan
Treatment of Cold Cough
Treatment of Ear Pain
Treatment of Sneezing
Treatment of Sinusitis
Treatment of Mouth Sores
Treatment of Flu
Treatment of Allergic Rhinitis
Coughing Treatment & Management
Treatment of Hearing Loss
Treatment of Sore Throat
Treatment of Blocked Nose
Treatment of Snoring
Treatment of Stammering
Treatment of Nose Bleed
Treatment of Tinnitus
Treatment of Vertigo
Treatment of Nose Infection
Cysts Removal Procedure
Treatment of Glue Ear
Treatment of Sleep Apnea
Submit a review for Dr. Nithya NarayananYour feedback matters!
I have pain in my throat. Whenever I eat the adam's apple pains a little. This is happening to me since yesterday.
Ear pain is also called as an earache or otalgia. The pain may be associated with fever, malaise, sore throat etc. Sometimes, a patient can indulge in rubbing ears or pulling of ears rather than directly complaining about the pain.
Ear pain may be caused by primary affections of the ear, or it may be caused by secondary affections of other parts which can cause referred pain.
What are the primary causes of ear pain?
Following are the most common causes of ear pain in small children:
- Infection of the ears: An infection of the middle ear, especially the eardrum, is the most common cause. An infection from the nasal passage can be transmitted to the ear via Eustachian tube. It usually occurs in winter as infections are common during winters.
- Due to swimming: Most children who are swimmers land up with an ear infection, as water from the pool enters the ear canal. The entry introduces an infection in the ear cavity that presents with ear pain.
- Due to an injury to the ear canal: An injury to the ear canal can occur either because of a cotton swab, a fingernail, or a pin which can lead to ear pain.
- Due to abscess formation in the ear canal: An abscess can be formed in the ear due to infection, and it can cause severe throbbing pain in children.
- Due to an accumulation of earwax: Excessive accumulation of earwax in the ear is one of the most common reasons for ear pain in children. It usually causes mild ear pain.
- Due to blockage of the ear canal by foreign objects: Small children usually put small objects, such as a ball, in the ear canal. Due to it, children may complain mild-to-moderate pain.
- Due to blockage of the ear while traveling in the airplane: Sometimes, the ear tube gets blocked due to sudden increases in air pressure and causes stretching of the eardrum, ultimately leading to ear pain.
What are the secondary causes of ear pain in children?
Following are the most common causes of ear pain in small children:
- Dental pain referring to the ear: The pain can occur during dentition or due to dental caries in the children due to a common nerve supply.
- Due to infection of another gland, such as the parotid gland: Sometimes, mumps, parotitis can be associated with ear pain as the parotid gland is present in front of the ear.
- Due to disorders of the temporomandibular joint In this condition, ear pain can occur while opening the mouth, chewing, etc.
- Other illnesses that can cause referred ear pain include lymphadenopathy, lymphadenitis, or an injury to the spine.
In case you have a concern or query you can always consult an expert & get answers to your questions!
Hello Doc! I am a 17 year old female. I have a headache like almost all the time. And I get a vertigo often. I don't get a good sleep every night. I'm totally disturbed with all those dreams I get. So this anyway related to Stress, Depression or any other cerebral problem?
Hey I am 17 years old and I am facing some issue with my hearing because of waax getting accumulated in my ear and for that I am using soliwax drops that's helpful but can you suggest me other treatment?
I am students earlier my ear are leaked so what can I do for solve of my problem please tell me something about my problem.
Me and my brother were fighting and I choked him for 20 seconds then I let him go. After around 6 hours he told me he had a little pain in his throat. There i am no swelling visible. Is he gonna be fine or should he go to doctor?
Having staffilococcus orius in throat. Have throat pain often especially in winter season. Difficulty in swallowing and talking. When infected take medicines and betadine gargle. It heals and sometimes come back. Is it a serious thing to worry?
Im having ear problem im getting vex out of my ear and im having rupture in my eardrum Any solution without surgery.
Sir I suffered from acidity from 4 months and I take medicine for this and its starting improve but my throat is always feel sure or pain and I also feel pain in back.
The common symptoms of sinusitis include nasal blocking, mucopurulent discharge and headache or facial pain. Acute sinusitis is a type of infection of the sinus. It involves an infection or inflammation of your sinus membranes. The most common symptom of sinusitis is that you have trouble draining mucus from your nose. The sinus is the cavity around the nasal passage and it may swell up when this condition occurs. Usually, the symptoms are temporary. However, sometimes, especially if you suffer from chronic sinusitis, medical intervention is required...
- Saline nasal spray: This is a spray you put into your nose several times a day to clean your nasal passages.
- Nasal corticosteroids: There are many types of nasal corticosteroids. They include fluticasone, budesonide, mometasone, beclomethsone. These nasal sprays not only help to treat inflammation, they help prevent to prevent inflammation as well.
- Aspirin: This is a type of OTC pain relievers and they help relieve the pain of acute sinusitis. Acetaminophen and ibuprofen are two other OTC pain relievers which can be used instead of aspirin.
- Antibiotics: Antibiotics are usually not required and should never be taken without the doctor's prescription. However, sometimes the doctor may recommend it if he thinks there is a bacterial infection or if the symptoms progress rapidly.
- Immunotherapy: Immunotherapy is given when allergies are the reason you are having acute sinusitis. It is rarely needed, however.
- Surgery: For sinusitis symptoms which are chronic or occur frequently, nasal surgery may be the best option for permanent relief. A number of different surgical procedures can be used to treat acute sinusitis such as balloon sinuplasty, endoscopic sinus surgery etc.