Lybrate.com has an excellent community of Gynaecologists in India. You will find Gynaecologists with more than 39 years of experience on Lybrate.com. You can find Gynaecologists online in Chennai and from across India. View the profile of medical specialists and their reviews from other patients to make an informed decision.
Book Clinic Appointment with Dr. Nithiya Srivatsan
Management of Abortion
Caesarean Section Procedure
Treatment Of Female Sexual Problems
Termination Of Pregnancy Procedure
Treatment Of Pregnancy Problems
Well Woman Healthcheck
Treatment Of Female Sexual Problems
Treatment Of Medical Diseases In Pregnancy
Treatment Of Menstrual Problems
Intra-Uterine Insemination (IUI) Treatment
Medical Termination Of Pregnancy (Mtp) Procedure
Gynecology Laparoscopy Procedures
Pap Smear Procedure
Submit a review for Dr. Nithiya SrivatsanYour feedback matters!
"Get off the mobile and go outside" - are these words being heard more commonly nowadays than at any point in time before? Humanity has just stepped into one of the newest psychiatric disorders. What is worse is that the medical world is divided on whether this should be considered as a disorder, or simply be passed off as a generation gap. Let us look a little deeper about the disorder.
What is internet addiction?
Only recently did Internet addiction and phone addiction became a part of the diagnostic and statistical manual of the mental disorders i.e. Internet addiction is now effectively considered a psychiatric disorder, and there are chances of identifying and treating it using medically approved means. As the name suggests, internet addiction and phone addiction means that the person is using his creative and designated time on a medium when he is no longer required to. Simply put, it becomes an obsessive habit on part of the person to look into his/her phone and use the internet as a routine activity. Long term addiction can lead to many psychological factors such as withdrawal symptoms, depression, and general loss of awareness about the surroundings. For most people, the syndrome can be an underlying factor of an even more severe health condition that the person is trying to mask by whiling away his/her time on the internet and mobile.
Addiction in today’s world
As of now, only two countries, South Korea and China have identified the disorder, and treatments are administered. Europe and the United States have also categorised it as a disorder, and research is being done on it. The general treatment plan that exists presently, aims to understand the patient first. The psychiatric treatment tries to successfully bridge the user and his/her addiction. From practicing different times of using the internet, to suggesting new schedules and goals, the person can be slowly be eased back into society. The purpose of psychiatric intervention is not to block the internet/ mobile usage completely, but to limit it. A person is educated to get his satisfaction in other forms, like relationships, outdoor activities.
Though still in its early stages, the medical world has made it clear that its contribution towards these mental addictions would increase many fold in the very near future. In case you have a concern or query you can always consult an expert & get answers to your questions!
Bleeding from the vagina during the pregnancy period in women can be quite a traumatic experience. Bleeding during pregnancy occurs due to several reasons. While some of these reasons can be ignored and are considered natural, the others might be of concern. Vaginal bleeding accompanied by spotting is common in women within twelve weeks of pregnancy. The cervix getting infected might also be a cause of the bleeding, which stops on its own after a certain period. However, bleeding from the vaginal area during pregnancy phase may also lead to something as severe as miscarriage or an early born infant.
Once u get bleeding after getting pregnant consult ur doctor as early as possible, it's the doctor who will guide u whether to wait or some action has to be taken. For proper assessment and control of the bleeding, you should undertake the following actions:
- Keep a track on the bleeding: You must have an idea about the amount of blood loss you have had. It will make your doctor's work much easier to understand the intensity and the root of the problem. He will also be able to present you with a control plan. You have to keep a pad in your underwear and let it get soaked. Keep a track on how many pads get used by in a span of 24 hours. Notice the other features of the bleeding as well; whether there is pain or not and the intensity of the bleeding. Keep a constant check on the color and shade of the blood, and mention the presence of blood clots if any to your doctor.
- Take sufficient amount of rest: Untroubled, peaceful bed rest for long duration is the primary treatment to prevent pregnancy bleeding. During the early days of bleeding, total bed rest is recommended by all doctors. In case the bleeding cannot be checked regardless of sufficient rest, you should call the doctor.
- Abstain from any form of heavy physical work: Any kind of physical labor, which produces strain in the body such as running, jogging, jumping, cycling or going up and down a staircase quite often should be strictly prohibited during pregnancy. Undertaking these activities causes the uterus to jerk, and may lead to the breakage of delicate blood vessels within the placenta. On the off chance that the bleeding is less, activities of this kind should be still strictly avoided. Even after the bleeding stops, keep away from any strain for two more weeks.
- Do not indulge in sexual intercourse: Sexual intercourse during pregnancy can enhance the vaginal bleeding to a great extent. For women facing bleeding during this phase, it is advised to keep away from having sex until your doctor advises.
Pregnancy bleeding is a serious issue and it must not be neglected in the slightest of extent.
Egg freezing allows a woman to preserve her fertility until she is ready to start her family. During an egg-freezing cycle, a patient will go through many of the same steps that are involved in a typical IVF cycle: ovulation stimulation, ultrasound monitoring, and egg retrieval. After egg retrieval, the eggs will be cultured for a few hours and then frozen the same day for future use.
Hello doctor, my age is 24, my main problem is less flow of blood in periods. My height is 5 feet 4 inch and my weight is 75 kg. Consult from the doctor she did my many test and we found that there are 3 problems that' s why the period' s flow is less. 1. Anemia 2. Thyroid 3. Kind of ppc (don' t knw the full name) now my treatment is going from last 5 mnth i' m talking the medicine of thyroid and now it' s in control it' s 4.5. And i' m talking the medicen of iron. And in between sometime my periods come fine bt some time the flow is less. Now i' m not understanding that what ll I do. Kindly please suggest me. And fine the solution for me.
My wife is 23 years and got married with me last 16 oct-2016 Sunday. We had unprotected sex and she took unwanted 72 pill within 72 hrs. She is not getting her menstruation which usually take on 20oct. Now she is having urine burn. Can you pls suggest any medicine to use after 6-7 days pregnancy, if she is getting pregnant.
Indoor plants are not just meant for embellishing your interior spaces. They have other qualities as well. They can interact with your mind and body and better your life with their healing qualities. Here's how they can benefit your health:
- They make breathing easy: Do you remember your old science lessons in school? Well, you must know that plants release oxygen into the atmosphere and absorb carbon dioxide during photosynthesis. Human beings do the reverse during respiration or breathing. During night, plants respire like us and absorb oxygen as photosynthesis halts. But there are few plants like orchids, succulents and epiphytic bromeliads do the opposite bit by releasing oxygen even at night. You can keep these plants in the bedroom to increase the oxygen supply around you. This helps your breathing and keeps you fit.
- Add moisture to the air: Plants release water in the form of vapour during photosynthesis and respiration. This leads to increase in the moisture content of air. They are known to release about 90% of the water consumed by them. Therefore, if you keep plants inside your house, your respiratory troubles will be reduced by a great extent. The moisture laden air around you will heal and help your respiratory tract. According to a study by the Agricultural University of Norway, the possibility of developing conditions like dry skin, sore throats and dry coughs is reduced.
- Natural purification of air: It has been claimed by researchers that plants can remove about 87 percent of toxins from the surrounding air in a day. These toxins are called volatile organic compounds (VOCs). VOCs include formaldehyde, benzene and trichloroethylene.
- Health booster: It influences the overall health of an individual. It has been found by researchers that surgical patients improve faster in rooms with plants. They feel energetic; have proper heart rate and blood pressure. Ayurveda Science tells us that a green and airy ambience is pleasing to the mind. It helps in insomnia, hyperacidity and is an excellent aphrodisiac!
- Increases concentration power: A study by The Royal College of Agriculture in Circencester, England, claims that indoor plants helps in increasing the concentration power in individuals. They make you relaxed and leave a positive impact on your mind. You are filled with optimistic energy and able to focus in life better. It can take away stress from your life. People who keep indoor plants in their houses are usually satisfied with life.
Thus, indoor plants can bring positivity in your life. They can definitely give you mental and physical bliss. They are not just a splash of greenery with decorative significance. They are your companions for life and agents of good health. Keep yourself free from stress and strains of daily lives by maintaining your indoor garden. Remember, a single plant indoor can give you millions of reason to smile and cheer for.
Doctor I have been diagnosed with mild pcos Two months ago. We are trying for a baby since one year but all in vain. My doctor prescribed me normoz and fol123. I have no idea about whether I am ovulating or not. I have gone through follicular study also but that says egg is not rupturing good. Gone through hsg also and it was normal. Please tell when will I get pregnant.
'Psycho' refers to the mind and 'soma' refers to the body, so psychosomatic disorder is a problem with a combination of mind and body. Not only are these bodily disorders caused by a psychic factor, the correlation between these symptoms (aggravation and recovery) are very strong.
Psychosomatic disorders are commonly referred as psychosomatic illness. It is an illness whose symptoms are caused by mental processes of the sufferer rather than immediate physiological causes. If a medical examination can find no physical or organic cause or if an illness appears to result from emotional conditions such as anger, anxiety, depression or guilt then it might be classified as psychosomatic.
The concept of psychosomatic disorders has been in existence since the time of Sigmund Freud. The belief is that with the varied emotions that a person experiences, each disease manifests with a different set of symptoms in each person, implying that each person needs to be treated differently and not given the same disease-specific medication. This is where homeopathy plays a very strong role in psychosomatic disorders as it also believes in treating the person as a whole and not just the symptoms.
In homoeopathy, we base our prescription on what we call constitutional symptoms where we give lot of importance to the mental symptom as well as to the characteristic physical symptom. Hence every prescription from a Homoeopathic physician will surely include an element of psychosomatic angle. It is beyond the scope of this editorial to mention all the remedies of Materia Medica which has the scope for the treatment of psychosomatic disorders.
The homeopath always undertakes a thorough discussion with the patient to understand the accompanying symptoms in detail and then arrive at a customized treatment plan.
Specific substances are given to manage anxiety, depression, irritability, insecurity, paranoia, etc. These feelings are considered inducers for the above disorders, and managing them can help bring about a harmony in the patient's overall health.
GERD: Gastro esophageal reflux disease is a disorder that results from stomach acid moving backward from the stomach into the esophagus. GERD usually happens because the lower esophageal sphincter (LES), the muscular valve where the esophagus joins the stomach, opens at the wrong time or does not close properly.
Homeopathy For GERD:
Homeopathic medicine relies not only on identifying the symptoms of the disease, but on a variety of personality traits, the person's mental state and other characteristic symptoms a patient exhibits which correlate to any particular remedy. When choosing a correct remedy for the treatment of heartburn, all aspects of the patient are taken into account.
These are some of the Homoeopathic medicines that may prove beneficial:- Argentum nit, Cal.carb., China, Carbo veg, Lycopodium, Nat. phos, Nux vomica, Phosphorus, Pulsatilla, Robinia, sulphuric acid etc.
Migraine: Migraine is a form of headache. The pain is usually throbbing, pulsating and bursting in character. At times, the pain is one sided or may involve the whole head. Such pain may last for hours or even days. It is often accompanied by other symptoms like nausea or vomiting. At the same time, there is increased sensitivity to light and sound. In some cases, the pain is preceded by some warning symptoms like flashes of light, temporary blindness or tingling sensation in the limbs.
Homeopathy for Migraine:
Belladonna is widely used homeopathy remedy for migraines, where headache is throbbing and violent, occurs suddenly, worsens on touching, and relieves with pressure. Glonoine is useful in congestive headaches with a reddened face that is worsened by sun or heat. Natrum Mur is useful in cases where headache is brought on by grief or stress.
Ulcerative colitis: Ulcerative colitis is a serious chronic inflammatory disease of the large intestine accompanied by ulcerated lesions of the intestinal tissues. It is characterized by episodes of abdominal pain with profuse diarrhea in which large quantities of blood, pus, and mucus are present in the feces. There is an urgency to move the bowels, as many as, three to ten times per day. It may be accompanied with pain, nausea, and vomit. Because of the loss of blood, the patient may become dehydrated and anemic.
Homeopathy for Ulcerative Colitis:
To identify the actual inducing agent, some foods are removed to see if they are inducing attacks. Once identified, that is removed from the patient's diet. In addition, aloe, arsenicum album, carbo vegetabilis, colocynthis, are commonly used remedies for ulcerative colitis. The patient is asked for associated symptoms like bleeding diarrhea, color of the feces, involuntary defecation, abdominal pain, anxiety, cramps, and stress before deciding on a treatment mode.
Irritable Bowel Syndrome: Irritable bowel syndrome, also known as spastic colon is a functional disorder characterized by recurrent abdominal pain, cramping, and bloating. Some people suffer from constipation, which means hard, dry stools, difficult to eliminate, leading to straining without success. Some people experience diarrhea, with frequent loose watery stools.
Homeopathy for Irritable Bowel Syndrome:
Sulphur, Pulsatilla, Phosphorus, Nux Vomica, Lycopodium clavatum, Argentum Nitricum, and Silicea are commonly used homeopathic remedies. Associated symptoms that need to be considered before deciding on a therapy include frequency of stooling, nature of stools, abdominal bloating, restlessness, irritability and nervousness.
Homeopathy is a preferred mode of treatment for psychosomatic disorders as they aim at a holistic treatment of the individual and not just at symptom management.
Allergy: Allergy is an abnormal reaction or increased sensitivity to certain substances. The allergic individual produces symptoms when exposed to these substances, which are harmless to non-allergic people. The main reason for this is that allergic people make a special type of antibody called immunoglobin E (IgE), which can react with environmental substances in harmful way. These substances which lead to secretion of IgE antibodies are called allergens.
Homeopathy for Allergy:
Few important remedies for the homeopathic treatment of allergy are- Histamine, Natrum Mur, Kali Bich, Sepia, Hepar Sulph, , Carbo Veg , Sulphur, Bryonia, Nux Vom, Apis Mel, Ailanthus, and Justicia adhatoda.
In case you have a concern or query you can always consult an expert & get answers to your questions!
What is sarcopenia?
It’s the loss of muscle mass, strength & function as one ages. Though everyone is at risk of sarcopenia, it’s most commonly seen in people who lead a sedentary lifestyle. Other factors that may contribute to this condition:
- Hormonal change with age
- Change in protein requirements with age
How does it affect routine life?
- Impairment of daily functioning as muscle mass & strength are required for effective functioning of body
- Disables the aged people
Who is at risk?
- Age more than 40 years
- Sedentary lifestyle
- Low protein intake
How to prevent?
- Proper nutrition: Adequate nutrition is essential to prevent loss of muscle mass with age.Older adults may need more protein per Kg body weight to retain the muscle mass. They may require 1.0 to 1.2 g/kg of body weight per day to maintain the optimal level.
- Exercise: Resistance training is extremely effective for improving muscle mass and strength.Incorporating this fitness regimen in everyday activity helps in reducing the risk and also in prevention of sarcopenia.
- Supplements: Appropriate supplements can be given if required. For example, maintaining optimal vitamin D level using supplements aids in muscle strength and physical performance.
How to manage life with sarcopenia?
- Nutritious diet
- Increase physical activity
- Appropriate steps to avoid falls and fracture
In case you have a concern or query you can always consult an expert & get answers to your questions!