Lybrate.com has an excellent community of Ear-Nose-Throat (ENT) Specialists in India. You will find Ear-Nose-Throat (ENT) Specialists with more than 43 years of experience on Lybrate.com. You can find Ear-Nose-Throat (ENT) Specialists online in Chennai and from across India. View the profile of medical specialists and their reviews from other patients to make an informed decision.
Book Clinic Appointment
Submit a review for Dr. Niraj JoshiYour feedback matters!
Are you suffering from a sore throat that is prolonged in nature? Although, a sore throat is not very severe, being prolonged in nature indicates that it is chronic. You should not ignore a sore throat that does not heal over a long period of time. This might be an indication of a serious problem, and you will require proper diagnosis.
When is a sore throat termed as chronic?
- A sore throat may take various forms. It can be itchy, burning, scratchy in nature, and can also cause difficulty in swallowing food.
- It is likely for a sore throat to be accompanied by a form of pesky cough that leads to further irritation of the throat.
- Sore throats can also occur from common colds and several viruses. These usually resolve on their own.
- However, when your sore throat is persistent and you cannot find relief, it is referred to as a chronic sore throat. The primary cause of sore throat includes strep throat, allergies, tonsillitis or the infection of your tonsils, inhaling air pollutants, influenza, cigarette smoking, and inhaling via the mouth.
- Among these conditions, strep throat and tonsillitis may turn into severe problems, if not treated properly.
- Smoking is a major cause of chronic sore throat. You should control your smoking to eliminate these sore throat symptoms.
- Snoring is also a major cause for sore throat.
Relief from chronic sore throat
No matter what is the cause of your chronic throat pain, or sore throat is, you should follow some steps and undertake simple home remedies for soothing your scratchy, itchy and painful throat. Some of them include the following:
- Do hot water steam inhalation daily, which will help
- You must stay well hydrated and should moisten your throat by drinking lots of fluids throughout the day. You should add honey to warm drinks and hot tea.
- You may take over the counter pain relievers.
- You should install a humidifier in your home for preventing dry air that causes irritation to your throat.
- You may try gargling regularly with warm water and salt, at least twice a day.
It is difficult to diagnose the exact cause of a sore throat, but when it worsens or does not tend to leave, something serious is indicated. You must consult a doctor and undertake a physical examination of your throat in order to detect the cause.