Lybrate.com has an excellent community of Endocrinologists in India. You will find Endocrinologists with more than 31 years of experience on Lybrate.com. You can find Endocrinologists online in Chennai and from across India. View the profile of medical specialists and their reviews from other patients to make an informed decision.
Book Clinic Appointment
Treatment Of Erectile Dysfunction
Treatment Of Male Sexual Problems
Treatment Of Female Sexual Problems
Thyroid Problems Treatment
Thyroid Disorder Treatment
Diabetic Diet Counseling
Urinary Incontinence (Ui) Treatment
Pre And Post Delivery Care
Sperm Donor Program
Adult Diabetes Treatment
Type 1 Diabetes Treatment
Submit a review for Dr. MohanYour feedback matters!
Thyroid is a small butterfly shaped gland, which is present at the lower frontal region of the neck, right beneath the voice box. It produces hormones which regulate metabolism (the breakdown of food by the body to convert it into energy). It even plays a pivotal role in boosting organ functions as well as in helping the body to sustain heat. However, too much of hormone production by the thyroid gland might yield structural problems, for instance, growth of nodules (abnormal tissue growth) or cysts (non-cancerous sac-like structures containing fluid) and swelling. Hence, a thyroid surgery is a must once these problems occur. The surgery, administered with general anesthesia, eliminates the thyroid gland either wholly or partially.
Why do you need surgery?
- The presence of tumors or nodules on one’s thyroid gland is one of the reasons why one should go for the surgery. Although most of the nodules are benign, few can be pre-cancerous or cancerous too. Also, those benign nodules can spell trouble, if they expand in size, thus obstructing the throat. They can be problematic as well if they cause the thyroid gland to overproduce hormones, giving rise to a condition known as hyperthyroidism.
- Hyperthyroidism can be corrected through surgery. It is often an outcome of Grave’s disease, an autoimmune disorder wherein the body misidentifies the thyroid gland as a foreign body, thereby creating antibodies to combat it. The thyroid gland gets inflamed in the process, resulting in the overproduction of hormones.
- Another reason is the enlargement or swelling up of the thyroid gland, termed as goiter. Similar to large nodules, goiter too can clog the throat, thus interfering with one’s breathing, speaking and eating.
Types of Surgery
- Lobectomy: This procedure calls for partial removal of the lobes when a nodule or an inflammation affects just half of the thyroid gland.
- Subtotal Thyroidectomy: Here, a small proportion of the thyroid tissue is left behind even after the elimination of the thyroid gland.
- Total Thyroidectomy: Through this procedure, the entire thyroid gland is taken out along with the thyroid tissue.
Infertility in women refers to a condition when a woman fails to conceive in a year, even after having regular sexual intercourse without any contraception. Infertility is caused by a number of reasons or factors. Some of the reasons are listed below:
- Structural barriers or abnormalities of the reproductive organs of the female
- Hormonal imbalance
- Presence of cyst or fibroid in the reproductive organs like ovary and uterus
- Blocked fallopian tube
- Inflammatory diseases in the pelvic region.
Infertility is often caused due to lifestyle pattern of the female individual. The chances of turning infertile increases due to smoking, consumption of alcohol, emotional stress, obesity, etc.
Homeopathic Treatment for Infertile Women:
Homeopathic treatment for infertility of women is safe for the patient as the medicines are non-toxic and naturally extracted. These medicines can be used for a longer period of time. A homeopath practitioner will take a lot of things into account while treating the patient- like her mental and physical constitution. He or she will try to investigate the underlying causes that are leading to the infertility.
Here are some common medicines, used for the treatment of infertile women:
- Medicines for Patients having Acidic Vagina: In some females, the vaginal fluids are extremely acidic in nature. Thus, the sperm fails to stay alive under such conditions and travel further up the reproductive tract for fertilisation with ovum. Therefore, the woman fails to conceive. In such cases, borax and Natrum Phos are prescribed for the patient. While Borax is given to females with vaginal discharge similar to the white portion of an egg, Natrum Phos is for women with creamy and honey-coloured discharge.
- Medicine to Cure Prolonged Periods or Menorrhagia: When a female suffers from prolonged periods, she might turn infertile. Besides, the patient may also suffer from Leucorrhea, anaemia and fatigue. To cure infertility in such cases, two medicines are used- Calcerea Carb and Aletris Farinosa. Women with extremely longer periods are given Calcerea Carb. Women with early menses can take Aletris Farinosa.
- Medicines for Women Experiencing Shorter Periods: Infertility is also caused when the monthly period cycle of the patient is irregular. She may be facing extremely shorter and scanty periods. Under such circumstances, Pulsatilla and Sepia are prescribed for the patient. Sepia is for women who feel a bearing down sensation in the uterus. Pulsatilla is given to women who are facing scanty periods ever since their menarche.
- Medicine for Women with Reduced Sexual Drive: Some women complain of having decreased sexual desire or arousal. Agnus Castus and Sepia are given to such women. Sepia is for female patients who have excessively dry vagina and face pain during intercourse. If you wish to discuss any specific problem, you can consult a homeopath.
I have thyroid problem. O have TSH above 100. Doctor has prescribed me eltroxin 100 and eltroxin 25 mg. Pls suggest men how to cure my thyroid problem. Can I take issue in this period. Can I have normal child. Pls and der.
I gained weight on pregnancy and cesarean, now my last child is 5 years old But still I do not loose weight. I am 4.10 feet weight 57 kg. I take Sarpagandha Vati once in the morning for BP. I do not feel hungry frequently I take food after a gap of 4 hours and can not even eat more than a half plate however yet I'm gaining weight inspite of doing alternate days workout for half hour and wow Green Coffee beans yet not effective I even tried No fat capsules .I sometimes feels heavy and tired. thyroid TSH 0.6 taking Kelp when it was 5.11 previously. Please help me what is the problem of gaining weight in spite of not over eating nor large quantity. And why is so hard to burn my fats.
I am 36 years old male and a diabetic and I am having problem with my penis which accumulates with white fuzzy substance at the end of the day which creates itching and pain. I have noticed that this happens due to the accumulation of the urine which remains stuck inside the upper layer/fore skin of the penis. I am planning for go for circumcision, please suggest some medicine or an alternative for the same ?
Ian Mamatha. 30years. I never ch caked sugar. Yesterday I checked It is90. So will did I have sugar disease.
I am facing hair loss problem, is it because of over masturbation, or due to thyroid, as I have hyper thyroid problem also n habit of over masturbation.
Sir my mom suffer from diabetes and always remain in doubt what to eat and what not. It would be a great help if you tell me the food items which she should take and which shouldn't.
Sir I am 35 Years old but sir Last 7 year I detect for Diabetes. In last six year I swallowed the tab. But in last 7 month my sugar level is increased my fasting is 179 and PP is 223. Dr. Has advice for insulin but sir insulin se muse kami dar lagta his place suggested me any other way of treatment instead of insulin.
I ask that my sugar not stable up down If Morning time 300 or evening time 500 or 650 or 250 I use two time insulin injection 15 unit daily all doctors said that insulin injection use properly if you leave insulin injection you dead.
Sir my father have diabetes so plzz some tips to reduce and control it. It is in normal state still.
My father has got Diabetes recently. What is the Diet chart he should follow. And suggest what are the food items he can eat and what should not he eat. Please mention the food item names.
Hypothyroidism has become a common ailment among people in India nowadays. Women are major victims of Hypothyroidism, as pregnancy and menopause put them at higher risk. Lack of nutrition, lack of exercise and stress play a huge role in Thyroid disorders especially hypothyroidism.
1. What is Thyroid Gland?
1. The Thyroid Gland is a butterfly-shaped gland which is situated below your Adam's apple.
2. Thyroid Gland secrets several hormones, collectively called as Thyroid hormones.
3. The main hormones are T4 (Thyroxine) and T3 (Tri-iodothyronine). Anterior Pituitary gland secrets TSH (Thyroid Stimulating Hormone) to stimulate Thyroid Gland to produce T4 and T3.
4. T4 is considered as precursor of T3. Many enzymes, Iodine, Tyrosine, Amino Acids, Vitamins and Minerals are essential for conversion of T4 into T3.
2. What are the functions of Thyroid hormone?
1. To act as catalyst for maintenance of metabolism
2. Regulation of proteins, carbohydrates, fat, calcium and phosphorus metabolism
3. Acceleration of energy production
4. Necessary for normal growth and maturation
5. To help foetal development and development in first few months after birth
3. What is Hypothyroidism (Underactive Thyroid)?
1. Hypothyroidism is one of the most common disorders of endocrine glands
2. It occurs due to hypo functioning of Thyroid Gland resulting into deficiency of Thyroid hormones and increase in TSH
4. What are causes of Hypothyroidism?
1. Iodine Deficiency
2. Hashimoto's Thyroiditis
3. Damage to Pituitary Gland
4. Congenital Thyroid defects
5. What are signs and symptoms?
1. Weight gain
2. Swelling all over body
4. Hair loss
6. Dry skin
7. Feeling cold
8. Irregular menses
9. Heavy Menstrual bleeding
10. Impaired fertility
11. Shortness of breath
12. Hoarse voice
13. Poor memory
14. Lack of concentration
15. Mood swings
16. Carpal Tunnel syndrome
6. What are management strategies?
1. Thyroid Gland gets its support from nutrients like Amino acids, Iodine, unprocessed carbohydrates and vitamin B, C and E.
2. Improve intake of Iodine. Some Iodine rich foods are carrot, milk, banana, strawberry, whole grains, etc.
3. Improve intake of proteins; Good sources of protein are egg, milk, cereals and pulses, etc.
4. To improve intake of vitamin B, C and E, have green leafy vegetables, Amla, Guava, Citrus fruits, sprouts, etc.
5. Hypothyroidism causes low vitamin D levels. So, vitamin D supplements can help in this condition. Walking in morning sunlight for 10-15 minutes is good source of vitamin D.
6. Avoid raw Gobi and peanuts.
7. Avoid biscuits, cakes, alcohol and chocolates.
1. As hypothyroidism puts you at risk of increasing triglycerides, exercise is a must.
2. Cycling and swimming are good options for cardiovascular exercise.
3. Tadasana, Sarvangasana, Halasana, Matsyasana, Ushtrasana, Bhujangasana, Dhanurasana, Suryanamaskara: These poses are beneficial in prevention and management of hypothyroidism.
4. Yogasana and Pranayam learned from an experienced teacher are always helpful.
5. Eating Right, Avoiding stress, working out properly and sleeping peacefully are the basis to maintain thyroid hormones at a normal level.
What are the Ayurvedic Aspects?
1. Although hypothyroidism is not described in classical Ayurvedic text, based on its clinical presentations, its pathogenesis can be understood
2. According to pathogenesis, Hypothyroidism occurs because of the predominance of vitiated Vata and Kapha dosha. Therefore Panchakarma especially Vaman or Virechan according to Prakruti and Basti are necessary to relieve the disease completely and to avoid further progression and complications of disease
3. "Prevention is better than cure". By following healthy regimen like DINACHARYA, RUTUCHARYA (seasonal regimen), hypothyroidism can be prevented?
4. Proper diet and lifestyle ensure proper digestion. Proper digestion can be created by intake of Digestive spices like cinnamon, cardamom, turmeric, ginger, fennel etc
5. Herbs like Guduchi, Licorice, Asparagus are good for inflammatory and autoimmune Thyroid disease
6. Herbs like Ashwagandha, Punarnava, Gokshur, Guggul, Kanchanar, Brahmi etc are good for proper functioning of Thyroid Gland
7. Ayurvedic treatment tries to heal the root Imbalance in hypothyroidism rather than treating symptoms. If you wish to discuss about any specific problem, you can consult an ayurveda.