Lybrate.com has an excellent community of Endocrinologists in India. You will find Endocrinologists with more than 26 years of experience on Lybrate.com. You can find Endocrinologists online in Chennai and from across India. View the profile of medical specialists and their reviews from other patients to make an informed decision.
Book Clinic Appointment
Treatment Of Erectile Dysfunction
Treatment Of Male Sexual Problems
Treatment Of Female Sexual Problems
Thyroid Problems Treatment
Thyroid Disorder Treatment
Diabetic Diet Counseling
Urinary Incontinence (Ui) Treatment
Pre And Post Delivery Care
Sperm Donor Program
Adult Diabetes Treatment
Type 1 Diabetes Treatment
Submit a review for Dr. Manoharan.MYour feedback matters!
Here are some facts & Myths about Diabetes
Hello. Good Afternoon. I am Dr. Anirban Biswas. I am a diabetologist. I am practicing at Fortis Hospital. I want to discuss with you a few facts about Diabetes.
As you all know friends that diabetes is a leading cause of mobility in India. There are, basically, two types of diabetes; one is Type 1 Diabetes which is insulin dependent and usually occurs in small kids and children. The other one is Type 2 Diabetes which is mainly in adults and can be treated without the need of insulin. Now, first of all, we should focus what are the symptoms of diabetes. The symptoms of diabetes are weakness, lethargic, and you are not able to do your daily activity and second is that you are feeling irritable and disturbance in sleep, excessive thirst and hunger and frequent visits to the loo as you are not doing it earlier. You are having frequent breakages in you are sleep and you have to go to the toilet even at night time.
You may have non-healing ulcer, or skin infections which are not healing, you can also have other disturbances like visual disturbances and urinary infection or chest infection which is taking enough time to heal. All these symptoms can lead to diagnosis of diabetes and sudden loss of weight is also seen in few adults. So if you have diabetes, the best test to do is fasting and PP Sugar. Fasting sugar could be less than 110 and the PP sugar which is done after two hours of having your breakfast should be less than 140. If one of them is high then it is known as pre-diabetes then it is followed by a HbA1c test. HbA1c test is a glycosylated hemoglobin which tells us about the average blood sugar which is present in our body in the last three months. It should be less than 6 in case of a normal individual.
If it is more than that then you are either a pre-diabetic or diabetic. so, now coming to the treatment and modification part; the first thing that doctors advise is that insulin resistance is there so to break the insulin we have lose weight and for that we have to do regular exercise and control in our diet. The diet should be such that it should include all the course grain, milk, fruits, vegetables, sprouts and less of carbs, maida, processed food, fatty, oily should be avoided. The other focus should be on exercises as we all know that a 30 minute exercise and even 10000 steps everyday can reduce our insulin resistant drastically. If we can do all these things and it reduces our sugar then it is very well otherwise we have to take medicines and for that you have to visit any doctor.
The complications of diabetes basically it is known as diabetic triopathy. Diabetes is basically a vascular disease and has microvascular defects which causes disease in the retina, small vessels of the heart and brain and kidneys are involved and because this the patients weasel equity can go low and that is known as diabetic retinopathy. It is usually diagnosed by frequent eye checkups and the second disease which is known as chronic renal failure, for this also you have to go for the KFT test or even a better test is there which is known as microalbumin creatinine ratio and the third is diabetic neuropathy which is which causes pain and tinian sensation in the nerves. For this we have to take some medicines and vitamin B12 supplements along with diabetic supplements.
Thank you. If you have any query or you need to consut me then you can contact me through Lybrate. Thanks a lot.
Why Does Disc Slip?
Before we go and look for the treatment of the slip disc (at any region) of the spine, we need to be sure that why discs slip from their places and what are the basic causes behind the slip disc? This will help you to better understand the whole problem and its severity, because understanding your disease and to be educated about the problem is the basic step we need to take for complete cure of the condition.
What this Disc is?
Discs are fluid containing bag like structures which are located between every two vertebrae. These are destined to absorb the shocks while movements of the spine and to ensure the smooth movements of the spine. These are connective tissues which are important to hold the spine together and to for smooth movements of the spine. If there won’t be gaps in between the vertebrae, we won’t be able to move ourselves in any direction and that stiffness will make us like a hard-dried up tree, which can swing on either side but cannot bend properly.
“So this Intervertebral disc is not a hard piece. This is a bag filled with some fluid, which provides cushion to the two bones above and below”.
What does Slip Disc mean?
Slip is a very non-scientific term. There is no medical term like this. This is the protrusion. Dictionary meaning for the protrusion is- something that bulges out or is protuberant or projects from its surroundings!! A protrusion is- hump of a camel. So the fluidic-bag between the two vertebrae protrudes on one side. This condition of PRTRUSION OF INTERVERTEBRAL DISC (PIVD) is known as Slipped disc or slip disc in laymen language.
Why dose disc slip from its actual position?
Discs are held in an alignment between the vertebrae. These are not alone the bones, which held the things together. Muscles surround the bones and ligaments are similarly responsible for holding these in their actual, desired location. These all together- bones, muscles, and ligaments decide the curvature of the spine and this curvature is the most important factor to decide the location of the intervertebral discs.
In most of the cases we have CURED we found that there were two common factors-
Stiffness of the muscles of the back
Loss of normal curvature of the spinal column
We just adjusted these two with the help of Ayurveda-Yoga and Panchakarma and this only ensures us with 95% results at our facilities. Reason is very clear that- WE DO REMOVE THE ROOT CAUSE! We follow the notion of Ayurveda which tells us- “Sanksheptah Kriyayogo Nidan Parivarjanam” which means- remove the causative factors and this is the basic and exact form of treatment. If you wish to discuss about any specific problem, you can consult an Ayurveda.
My mother is 51 and she is suffering from many health problems like obesity, thyroid, high BP and high sugar. Though sugar is normal but hypothyroid is not in control. She takes her medicines regularly. But she gets tired, sometimes get depressed. She is taking many medicines. How can she overcome her problems? Also she takes lots of tensions of others. Please guide me.
Diabetes is a metabolic disorder that results in high blood sugar levels in the body. It basically means that the body is either insensitive to insulin or the insulin production levels in the body go down. The various symptoms of diabetes are blurred vision, weight loss and hunger.
Some other symptoms of diabetes are:
- Excessive urine output
- Wounds that take time to heal
- Yeast infections
- You may experience fatigue on a regular basis
- Frequent Mood Changes
Diabetes is also known as a Lifestyle disease. From the food you eat to the amount of activity, they are all connected to diabetes prevention. The various modifications that you may carry out to prevent diabetes are:
- Exercise: You should exercise on a regular basis as it increases your overall wellbeing. It helps you to lose weight and allows you to maintain optimal blood sugar levels. It can also improve your body's sensitivity to insulin to prevent blood sugar problems. Exercise helps in increasing endorphin levels in the body which are responsible for keeping you happy and satiated, thereby avoiding depression and over-eating.
- Eat more whole grains: Unlike simple carbohydrates, whole grains are complex carbohydrates that raise your blood sugar steadily instead of spiking it suddenly. Avoid refined grains as most of the important nutrients are stripped from refined grains. A Well-balanced diet with adequate amounts of PUFA/MUFA help in increasing the insulin sensitivity, reducing cholesterol and heart problems, etc.
- Eat a lot of fiber: If you have type 2 diabetes, you should be, including high-fiber foods in your diet is a healthy way to control high blood sugar. Fiber does not raise blood glucose levels. Because it is not broken down by the body, the fiber in an apple or a slice of whole grain bread has no effect on blood glucose levels because it isn't digested. The grams of fiber can actually be subtracted from the total grams of carb you are eating if you are using carbohydrate counting for meal planning. Fiber helps you in feeling satiated, thus prevents you from overeating. It also improves your blood sugar levels and decreases your chances of getting affected by heart disease.
- Lose weight: You should aim to maintain a healthy weight level as it also decreases the risk of diabetes. It also helps in improving your cardiovascular health. Follow a regimen, which is based on a balanced diet and moderate amount of exercise. Losing weight is the best way to keep diabetes away. Weight is something that we can keep under control. The waist size of men and women should not be more than 150 cm and 90 cm respectively. Always maintain your ideal body weight as per your BMI (Body Mass Index). Globally, obesity is one of the leading causes of diabetes.
- Avoid sugary drinks: With ten teaspoons of sugar in every 12-ounce can or bottle, sweet drinks can send your blood sugar soaring and boost your risk for weight gain, high blood pressure, stroke, and heart disease. One sugary drink a day adds 150 empty calories and 40 to 50 grams of blood-sugar-raising carbohydrates to your diet, and can lead to a weight gain of 15 pounds per year. Switching to healthier drinks can save hundreds of calories and a lot of carbohydrates.
- Avoid Stress: When you are stressed, your blood sugar levels rise. Stress hormones like epinephrine and cortisol kick in since one of their major functions is to raise blood sugar to help boost energy when it's needed most. You can't fight danger when your blood sugar is low, so it rises to help meet the challenge. Both physical and emotional stress can prompt an increase in these hormones, resulting in an increase in blood sugars and diabetes. Ensuring a stress-free life is very important if you want to stay away from diabetes. Avoid stress by going out for garden-walks, indulging in social causes/activities, yoga, meditation, etc. If you wish to discuss about any specific problem, you can consult a doctor and ask a free question.
Hi Doctors, I am 28 years old married woman (2 years of marriage). In 2012 I had a dermoid cyst of 12 cm in my left ovary but after laparoscopy that cyst was removed and my ovary was saved. But now I am facing this kind of problems again. I am trying to conceive but I use to feel abdominal pain after intercourse. My menses are with less bleeding from last two months. After TVS doctor found a simple cyst in my left ovary now she said to me that it is dissolve by her treatment (Dronis 30). I had thyroid.
I recently did a routine blood checkup where my blood cholesterol is moderately above normal, also my uric acid level is 9.2. Wanted to know if I need to take any medications for these or can be naturally treated. Also my blood hemoglobin content is 17.4 which is bit higher, please suggest on this.
My thyroid TSH is 12.93 how can I reduce it despite the fact that I am taking Eltroxin 150 mg everyday? Please Help.
I have Fasting sugar will remain between 125 to 140 after following diet and regular work out. How ever it was slightly lower that earlier, it was more than 150. Please advice.
My dad is having uric acid. So I want to know what are the things/food he needs to avoid to have a better health?
Hello my father diagnosed as being diabetic a few days back. But according to doctor his blood pressure is normal and he should have not been diabetic and hence doctor is doubting of any kind of side effects from any medicine or may be cause of wrong food habit. Therefore I wanted to know is it possible that diabetes can be caused due to any kind of side effects from medicine? Can regular intake of "Ensure" be a reason behind it?
I have diabetes type-2 last 2 year around 150 fasting & taking ayurveda tablets not taking suger frequently to reduse what i shoul i do ?
Diabetes is caused due to hormonal imbalance in our bodies. When the equilibrium between insulin and glucagon (hormones related to the sugar levels in the body) is disturbed, an individual suffers from diabetes. The disease is of two types: Diabete mellitus (Type-I and Type II) and Diabetes insipidus. When your body fails to release adequate insulin, the food that we consume is not properly converted into sugar or glucose. This is Type-I diabetes. On the contrary, if body releases defective insulin, one suffers from Type-II diabetes. Type-1 diabetes is sometimes called juvenile diabetes, or insulin-dependent diabetes. Type 1 occurs more frequently in children and young adults, but accounts for only 5-10% of the total diabetes cases nationwide. The basic symptoms of diabetes include changing sugar levels, excessive urination, thirst, weight loss and a lack of energy. Diabetes is caused due to a number of factors, ranging from environmental matters or hereditary links.
Homeopathic Remedies for Diabetes
Diabetes requires prolonged treatment. Long exposure to allopathic drugs can hamper your body organs due to its side effects. Therefore, it is advisable to take up homeopathic remedies, which have a long lasting effect on the patient. These medicines don’t cause side effects. Here are some of the remedies:
- Uranium nitrate: This compound reduces the sugar levels in the bloodstream and also keeps a check on frequent urination. It is prescribed for patients who develop the disease due to assimilative derangements. The symptoms that are looked for while prescribing medicines containing this compound include digestion problem, languor and debility, excess sugar in urine, huge appetite and thirst.
- Phosphoric acid: This compound is best for the treatment of diabetes that has a nervous origin. The symptoms that are looked for include excess urine and the colour of the urine is milky; poor mental force and general lethargy. The patient can also develop a bruised feeling in the muscles.
- Phosphorus: This compound is given to patients, suffering from diabetes and pancreatic diseases, especially tuberculosis or gouty diathesis. The symptoms include dry mouth, dark and watery stool and restlessness.
- Lactic acid: It is helpful for treating gastrohepatic type of diabetes. The symptoms that will have to be present in the patient include light yellow coloured urine, dry skin and tongue, thirst, nausea, and costive bowels.
- Insulin: Insulin therapy is an important as it helps in maintaining a balance in the sugar levels and keeps the urine free from sugar.