Lybrate.com has an excellent community of Radiologists in India. You will find Radiologists with more than 32 years of experience on Lybrate.com. You can find Radiologists online in Chennai and from across India. View the profile of medical specialists and their reviews from other patients to make an informed decision.
Book Clinic Appointment with Dr. Mahalakshmi
Diagnostic X- Ray
Bone Densitometry Procedure
Uterine Artery Embolization
Interventional Diagnostic Procedures
Angiography Radial Approach
Submit a review for Dr. MahalakshmiYour feedback matters!
A Herniated disc also known as a slip disc or prolapsed disc and it refers to the problem where one of the discs located in between the bones of the vertebrae(backbone) gets damaged and stacks itself upon the nerves. The tender inner portion of the disc gets protruded over the outer ring. Herniated disc causes severe neck pain and back pain. It occurs when the outer ring gets weak and tears down. The most common symptoms include pain and numbness, especially on one side of the body. The pain extends down to the arms and legs. It worsens during nighttime. The muscles become weak. Overweight people are likely to have this disease, as the discs carry extra weight. Old people are vulnerable to a slip disc.
Effects of Herniated Disc:
- An untreated case of Herniated disc may cause permanent damage to the nerves.
- In certain cases, a Herniated disc is capable of cutting off nerve impulses to the "caudal equine"nerves, present in the lower back and legs. This leads to loss of bladder control or bowel control.
- Saddle anaesthesia is another long-term effect. Nerves are compressed by the slip disc, causing loss of sensation in the inner portions of your thighs, the back of your legs and surrounding the rectum region.
- Symptoms may improve or worsen.
Diagnosis of Herniated Disc:
Treatment or diagnosis of Herniated disc or slipped disc can be either conservative or surgical in nature. The nature of treatment is determined according to your discomfort level and the kind of pain you are experiencing, or how much the disc has slipped out.
- The pain caused by Herniated disc can be relieved by undertaking an exercise schedule, which includes stretching and strengthening the spine and its surrounding muscles.
- A physiotherapist should be appointed for recommending the types of exercises.
- Taking pain relievers also soothes the pain.
- Stronger medicines prescribed by doctors include-muscle relaxants, narcotics to deal with the pain, medicines for nerve pain such as "gabapentin" or "duloxetine".
- In case of the symptoms not subsiding within a span of six weeks, a surgery may be recommended by your doctor. The surgeon may have to remove the damaged part of the disc. This surgery is called a microdiscectomy. If you wish to discuss about any specific problem, you can consult an orthopedist.
बच्चेदानी में गाँठ, कई महिलाओं के लिए परेशानी का कारण बन जाती है. इस दौरान गर्भाशय की आंतरिक परत की कोशिकाएं आवश्यकता से अधिक मोटी और बड़ी हो जाती हैं. फाइब्रॉइड होने के कारण जो लक्षण प्रकट होते है वो इस बात पर निर्भर करते है की ये किस जगह स्थित है , इनका आकार कैसा है और इनकी संख्या कितनी है. यदि फाइब्रॉइड बहुत छोटे हों और कम हों तो किसी प्रकार की तकलीफ नहीं होती और मेनोपॉज होने के बाद या अपने आप सिकुड़ कर मिट जाते है. लेकिन यदि फाइब्रोइड बढ़ जाते है इस प्रकार की परेशानी पैदा हो सकती है. गर्भाशय आकार में नाशपाती जैसा होता है. बच्चेदानी, महिलाओं का वो ख़ास अंग है जहां जन्म से पहले बच्चे को रखती हैं. आप इसे दो भागों में बाँट सकते हैं. एक तो है गर्भाशय ग्रीवा का पहला भाग जो योनी में खुलता है, वहीँ दुसरा भाग जो गर्भाशय का उपरी हिस्सा है जिसे कॉर्पस कहते हैं. महिलाओं के गर्भाशय में गाँठ का एक कारण कैंसर भी हो सकता है. आइए बच्चेदानी के गाँठ के कारणों और इसके संभावित उपचारों पर एक नजर डालें.
क्या है बच्चेदानी में गाँठ का कारण
अंडाशय में निर्मित होने वाले दो हार्मोन इस्ट्रोजन और प्रोजेस्ट्रोन के कारण हर महीने गर्भाशय में एक परत बनती है. जिसके कारण माहवारी होती है. ये हार्मोन ही इन परत के बनने के दौरान फाइब्रॉइड बनने की वजह भी बनते है.
अनुवांशिकता पारिवारिक कारण
यदि दादी, नानी, माँ या बहन को फाइब्रॉइड की समस्या है तो आपको भी यह होने की पूरी संभावना होती है.
गर्भावस्था के समय एस्ट्रोजन और प्रोजेस्ट्रोन हार्मोन्स का स्राव बढ़ जाता है. इसलिए ऐसे समय फाइब्रॉइड होने संभावना भी बढ़ जाती है.
वजन ज्यादा होने की वजह से भी गर्भाशय में फाइब्रॉइड बनने की संभावना बढ़ जाती है. इसका कारण गलत प्रकार का खान-पान, शारीरिक गतिविधि का अभाव तथा गलत प्रकार की दिनचर्या भी हो सकता है.
क्या हैं इसके लक्षण?
- माहवारी के समय या बीच में ज्यादा रक्तस्राव जिसमें थक्के शामिल होते है.
- नाभि के नीचे पेट में दर्द या पीठ के निचले हिस्से में दर्द.
- पेशाब बार बार आना.
- मासिक धर्म के समय दर्द की लहर चलना.
- यौन सम्बन्ध बनाते समय दर्द होना.
- मासिक धर्म का सामान्य से अधिक दिनों तक चलना.
- नाभि के नीचे पेट में दबाव या भारीपन महसूस होना.
- पैरों में दर्द.
- पेट की समस्याएं सूजन.
- सम्भोग के समय दबाव महसूस होना.
- फाइब्रॉइड का पता कैसे चलता है
यदि उपरोक्त लक्षण दिखाई दें तो महिला चिकित्सक से जाँच करानी चाहिए. जाँच करने के बाद यदि उन्हें गर्भाशय में गांठ यानि फाइब्रॉइड होने का शक हो डॉक्टर सोनोग्राफी कराने के लिए कह सकते है. सोनोग्राफी से गर्भाशय की सही स्थिति का पता चलता है. कहाँ, कितनी संख्या और कितने बड़े फायब्रॉयड है इसका भी पता चल जाता है. यह सोनोग्राफी दो तरह से होती है – पहली समान्य प्रकार से पेट के ऊपर से और दूसरी योनी के अंदर से जिसे ट्रांसवेजिनल अल्ट्रासॉउन्ड कहते है.
योनि के अंदर से सोनोग्राफी होने पर फाइब्रॉइड की स्थिति का ज्यादा स्पष्ट रूप से पता चलता है. क्योंकि उसमे मशीन गर्भाशय के ज्यादा पास तक पहुँच पाती है. डॉक्टर के बताये अनुसार सोनोग्राफी कराने से किस प्रकार का इलाज होना चाहिए यह पता चलता है. इसके अलावा एम.आर.आई., एक्सरे या सीटी स्केन की जरुरत के अनुसार कराने की सलाह दी जा सकती है.
क्या है इसका उपचार
यदि फाइब्रोइड के कारण किसी प्रकार की तकलीफ ना हो तो सामान्यतः किसी प्रकार के इलाज की आवश्यकता नहीं होती है. यहाँ तक की थोड़ा बहुत अधिक रक्तस्राव की स्थिति से निपट सकें तो कोई इलाज ना लें तो चलता है.
मेनोपॉज होने के बाद इसके कारण हो रही तकलीफ कम हो जाती है या कभी कभी बिल्कुल मिट भी जाती है. लेकिन यदि तकलीफ ज्यादा होती है तो इलाज लेना जरुरी हो जाता है.
फायब्रॉइड का इलाज उम्र , शारीरिक स्थिति , फाइब्रॉइड का आकार , उनकी संख्या और उनकी स्थिति के अनुसार तय किया जाता है. हो सकता है कुछ दवाओं से फाइब्रॉइड ठीक हो जाएँ अन्यथा ऑपरेशन की जरुरत भी पड़ सकती है. आपरेशन कई प्रकार से होते है. जिसमें मशीनों की सहायता से फाइब्रॉइड को बिना किसी चीर फाड़ के लेजर से नष्ट किया जाता है.
यदि इसके द्वारा इलाज संभव नहीं हो तो गर्भाशय को निकाल देना पड़ता है. उस स्थिति में माँ बनने की संभावना समाप्त हो जाती है. इस आपरेशन में ओवरी निकाल देनी है या नहीं यह डॉक्टर मरीज की परिस्थिति और जरुरत को देखते हुए निर्णय लेते है.
फाइब्रोइड होने पर डॉक्टर से इस प्रकार के प्रश्न किये जा सकते है. इनके जवाब समझने पर यह निर्णय करना आसान होता है कि अब क्या करना चाहिए. दवा लें या सर्जरी करायें. डॉक्टर की राय भी ली जा सकती है ताकि निर्णय लेना आसान हो जाये.
यदि गर्भाशय में मौजूद गांठ या रसौली प्रारंभिक अवस्था में हो या छोटी हों तो आयुर्वेदिक दवाओं से या होमिओपेथिक दवाओं से इन्हें ठीक करने की कोशिश की जा सकती है. ज्यादा बड़े फाइब्रॉइड होने पर और ब्लीडिंग अधिक होने पर सर्जरी जरुरी हो जाती है. सर्जरी के बाद महीने डेढ़ महीने कुछ परहेज रखने की जरुरत होती है. सर्जरी के बाद सभी तरह की परेशानियों से मुक्ति मिल जाती है.
I am suffering from back pain post pregnancy 7 years back. I had a C-section delivery. But off-late the pain is unbearable and crippling. I had consulted a few Orthopaedic doctors without much result. The CT scan reveals below IMPRESSION: Dessication of L4 - L5 & L3 - L4 intervertebral discs are seen with small posterior annular tears. Right central bulge of L4 - L5 intervertebral disc is seen causing bilateral neural foramina narrowing right more than left with indentation on right exiting nerve root. Diffuse disc bulge of L3 - L4 intervertebral disc is seen causing thecal sac compression with indentation on descending nerve roots within more prominent on right side, bilateral neural foramina narrowing. Kindly advise what I can do next.
Our spinal disk resembles a jelly donut, wherein the softer insides are protected by the hard exterior. Sometimes, as a result of some injury or an accident the jelly slips out, leading to an extremely painful condition which in medical parlance is known as herniated disc. The pain that you are subjected to, during herniated disc, occurs as the nerves nearby are damaged due to the concussion.
Apart from pain, herniated disc is preceded by other symptoms, some of them are:
- Pain in the arm or the leg: Depending on which part of the body you have suffered the herniated disc, in the neck or in your lower back, this condition is succeeded by intense pain either near the buttocks or near the shoulders. It goes without saying that this pain increases sharply with movement.
- Numbness: That part of the body where the nerves are damaged due to herniated disc often becomes numb and has no sensation whatsoever.
- Weakness: Due to herniated disc, the muscles become weak that considerably impairs and curbs mobility.
However, there are various ways by which you can prevent a herniated disc. Some of them are:
- Exercise: Exercise in any form and even for a short while yields several benefits. Your body invariably gains momentum and agility. If you exercise daily, your spine becomes more stable and strong, thereby preventing a possible herniated disc.
- Maintaining the right and good posture: A lot depends on the way you sit and walk, in fact more than you can imagine. If you sit badly, it exerts a pressure on the spine and the discs. Subsequently, a good posture does the very reverse and curbs chances of a herniated disc in the future.
- Keep a tab on the weight: It is always healthy to maintain the right weight, the one that keeps you away from the onset of various diseases. If you are overweight, it puts more pressure on the spine disk, thereby increasing the risk of developing a herniated disc.
The uterus is an organ situated in the pelvis of a female. It is hollow and is usually called the womb where child conception takes place. The uterus functions to help in developing the foetus until birth. Abnormal cell growth that consists of uterine tissues causes uterine cancer.
Although the exact reason for uterine cancer is not known, the risk factors usually can be seen in women with hyperplasia, obese women, and women who have never had kids. Common signs and indications of uterine cancer are unusual vaginal bleeding or discharge, pain while urinating and having sex, and pelvic pains.
Bases upon the sort and phase of cancer, and also your concerns about fertility, there are a number of uterine cancer surgical methods, including the following:
Hysterectomy: The primary focus is an operation to remove the uterus and cervix. At the point when the uterus is removed through a cut in the abdomen, it is known as a total abdominal hysterectomy. In case that the uterus is removed through the vagina, it is known as a vaginal hysterectomy.
Radical Hysterectomy: A radical hysterectomy will be necessary for only a small percentage of women since several better surgical options exist already. This kind of uterine cancer surgery includes removing the uterus, cervix and ovaries and the majority of the encompassing tissue (the parametria) and the upper part of the vagina.
Lymphadenectomy: The lymph nodes in the pelvis may likewise be removed. Your specialist may evacuate the lymph nodes as a component of a hysterectomy to deal with cancer and build up a more focused approach for the uterine cancer treatment plan.
Pelvic Exenteration: For women with repetitive or advanced uterine cancer, pelvic exenteration might be an alternative. During this kind of cancer surgery, the uterus, cervix, vagina, ovaries, bladder, rectum and surrounding lymph nodes are removed. Tissue from somewhere else in the body is used to recreate the vagina and urine and stools are passed into external packs.
Sentinel Lymph Node Mapping: Sentinel lymph node mapping (SLN) might be utilised as a part of early-stage cancer if your specialist can see from the X-ray results that there has been no undeniable spread of cancer to the lymph nodes in your pelvis. In this surgery, a blue dye is infused into the zone with cancer, which is usually close to the cervix. The lymph nodes that turn blue are removed during surgery.
- Omentectomy: The omentum is a layer of greasy tissue that covers the stomach contents like an apron. Cancer at times tends to spread to this tissue. At the point when this tissue is removed, it is called an omentectomy. This might be done during a hysterectomy if cancer has spread there or to check for possible cancer spread.
After surgery if the stage comes beyond stage 1 then patients need Radiotherapy by an oncologist.
My age is 28 and I am suffering from back pain due to L3, L4, L5 Disc bulging. Kindly suggest me a solution to over come from back pain without surgery.
How to prevent sagging of breasts?
Home remedies for sagging breasts
Breast sagging is a natural process that happens with age wherein the breasts lose their suppleness and elasticity. Breasts do not have muscle. They are made of fat, connective tissues and milk-producing glands, and they need proper care to keep them in good shape.
The benefits of yoga for the entire body have been widely studied, and it is primarily a mechanism of toning the body and increasing flexibility. Some of that toning can occur within the breast, depending on which positions you commonly practice.
Massage your breasts at least 2-3 times per week with olive oil. It will help add firmness to the skin as well as improve the skin tone and texture. It will also tone your chest and increase the elasticity of the skin.
Pomegranate is considered a wonderful anti-aging ingredient and can help prevent sagging breasts. Pomegranate seed oil is rich in phyto-nutrients that can lead to firm breasts.
Make a paste of pomegranate peel and some warm mustard oil. Use it to massage your breasts in a circular motion for 5 to 10 minutes daily before going to bed.
You can also use pomegranate seed oil to massage your breasts 2 or 3 times daily.
Another option is to mix 4 teaspoons of neem oil with 1 teaspoon of dried and powdered pomegranate rind. Heat this mixture for a few minutes. Allow it to cool and then use it to massage your breasts twice daily for several weeks.
Avoid loose fitting bra / wrong bra size
Some women feel that they would feel comfortable if they wear loose bra. But this is totally a wrong step. You are going to invite your saggy breast by doing this. Avoid this and go for the best fitting bra to keep your breast stay upright and firm. For more details visit us at www.malhotraayurveda.in
With the recent number of breast cancer cases on the rise, it is important that we should get the examination done on a regular basis as a preventive measure. Even if someone is suffering from it, it is important that we should make an effort and learn about.
If you have breast cancer then a surgery will be part of your treatment. Based on the condition, surgery will be carried out due to any of the following reasons:
1. To remove the cancerous tissues from the breast
2. To reconstruct the breast once the cancer is removed
3. To check whether the cancer has spread to the lymph nodes below the arm
4. To treat symptoms of cancer that has progressed to an advanced stage
Breast cancer surgery may be classified into two types
1. Mastectomy: Mastectomy involves removing the entire breast; tissues in the adjoining region may also be removed. A double mastectomy is a procedure where both the breasts are removed.
2. Breast-conserving surgery: In this surgery, only parts of the breast affected by cancer are removed. The area of the breast that is to be removed will depend on the severity of the cancer. Some healthy tissues may also be removed in this surgery.
Usually, if a woman is in the initial stages of cancer then she may opt for the latter as it entails removing parts of the breast. They may also undergo radiation therapy along with these surgeries.
For checking if the cancer has spread to the lymph nodes below the arm, the lymph nodes are removed from the body. Once they are removed, they are studied under a microscope to check if it has spread, if yes then the extent of their damage. This procedure is carried out along with the surgery to remove the cancer.
Once the mastectomy procedure is completed, you can opt for a breast reconstruction surgery to rebuild the area. You may opt for this procedure at the time of breast cancer removal or at a later stage. If you are considering breast reconstruction surgery then you should discuss it with your surgeon.
Surgery is sometimes not used to treat cancer, but in slowing the progression of cancer or even reducing its symptoms.It is important you talk to your surgeon before the procedure to understand the goal of the surgery.
In case you have a concern or query you can always consult an expert & get answers to your questions!
Treatment for breast cancer depends on the type of cancer, hormone sensitivity, size, grade and stage of cancer. A doctor considers the overall health of the patient and the patient’s individual preference before recommending a treatment plan. While there are many treatments options available for breast cancer, surgery is by far the most popular option for most patients. Along with surgery, some other treatments that a patient undergoes include radiation, chemotherapy and hormonal therapy.
- Lumpectomy: This is a procedure wherein the surgeon cuts the tumour and removes some of the surrounding healthy tissue in order to ensure that cancer does not spread to the healthy cells after the surgery. This procedure is applicable for small tumours.
- Mastectomy: This is a procedure in which all tissues of the breast are removed. This includes lobules, fatty tissue, ducts, areola, and nipple. In a skin-sparing mastectomy, all of the breast skin, except the nipple and the areola, is preserved, which makes the reconstruction process easier.
- Sentinel node biopsy: Since the sentinel lymph nodes are the first place that cancer is likely to spread, a doctor might suggest a sentinel node biopsy if cancer has spread to the lymph nodes. If no trace of a cancer cell is found in the nodes, it is unlikely that any more nodes need to be removed.
- Removal of breasts: Many women who have cancer in one breast often choose to remove both the breasts in order to avoid the risk of cancer spreading. While a family history of breast cancer can greatly increase the chance of breast cancer in a woman, statistics show that most women who have cancer in one breast do not develop cancer in the other one.
- Radiation: This is a process where a high-powered beam of energy is directed at the cancer cells to kill them. This method is often used after a lumpectomy. Radiations are of two types—external beam and brachytherapy. Some side effects of this treatment include fatigue, hair fall, loss of appetite and rashes.
- Chemotherapy: Chemotherapy is the treatment of cancer by cytotoxic and other drugs. This is often recommended by doctors when there is a good chance of the cancer cells spreading to other locations of the body. This form of treatment is often recommended before the surgery to shrink a tumour or restrict the growth of cells.
- Hormone therapy: Hormonal therapy is used to treat cancers that have hormonal sensitivity. They can be used before or after the surgery in order to ensure that cancer does not reoccur. Some of the treatment methods in this section include medication that restricts hormones from getting attached to the cancer cells, medications that restrict the body to produce oestrogen post-menopause and a medication that destroys cancer receptors.
In case you have a concern or query you can always consult an expert & get answers to your questions!