Book Clinic Appointment with Dr. M Rajkumar
Treatment of Burns
Cysts Removal Procedure
Tattoo Removal Procedure
Prp Hair Transplant
Corn Removal Procedure
Treatment of Gynaecomastia
Skin Laser Treatment
Skin Rash Treatment
Hair Regrowth Procedure
Breast Reduction Procedure
Dressings Of Wounds Procedure
Hernia Repair Surgery
Earlobe Repair Procedure
Acne / Pimples Treatment
Hair Loss Treatment
Submit a review for Dr. M RajkumarYour feedback matters!
Patient Review Highlights
One of my neighbour's recommended therdrM Rajkumar. he is very professional and is a really patient listener. drrajkumar has expert knowledge in the field. I was panicked, because I never thought I will suffer from cysts issue like this. The atmosphere in the GMR Hospital / Raj Cosmetic & Plastic Surgery Centrein chennai is always so positive and full of life. I am really grateful as hertreatment has give me a ray of hope. I feel so great after the completion of treatment.
I was having very bad thoughts regarding my complexion. I was quite depressed , One of my colleague referred Dr Rajkumar, he is one of a known dermatologist in Chennai. He is so pleasant to talk to and always ready to answer your doubts. I am so thankful to him for giving me the best advice and I am now finally able to get back to my normal self.
I was shocked to experience keloid. I am almost my normal self post the treatment and for that Dr Rajkumar is the reason. I must say the hygiene was maintained very nicely in the GMR Hospital. I searched him online and saw his reviews. I had lost hope, but the keloid treatment given by him has helped me regain my confidence.
Thanks to Dr Rajkumar for providing the skin whitening treatment. He is very patient with all his patients. I was quite impressed with his concept of holistic healing. The complete process of skin whitening treatment was so painless and quick, and i am so relieved that I chose to consult him.
I was having very bad thoughts regarding my hair loss. The entire GMR Hospital / Raj Cosmetic & Plastic Surgery Centre is very nicely designed. I owe him a big thank for the hair transplant treatment. Dr M Rajkumar has helped me immensly in the hairloss treatment.
Thanks to Dr Rajkumar for helping me deal with my sunburn. I was quite tensed due to my damaged skin. But due to his treatment, I am perfectly fine. He is really a sweet doctor and he treats his patients very nicely.
I thank Dr Rajkumar for giving me the best suitable stretch marks treatment. I tried several home remedies but I could not find any positive result. But After consulting this doctor, I am much better now.
Having hair loss 10 months postpartum delivery. My thyroid levels are normal and I am still breastfeeding. I stopped having calcium and iron 3 months post delivery. Should I start having them again? Also should I start taking multivitamins or any vitamin? If so which one? Please help.
Sometimes, even a strict diet and strenuous exercise regime don't give you the body shape you dream of. In such cases, liposuction can be the answer to the problem of excess fat you are facing. Liposuction is a surgical procedure of removing stubborn fat bulges from the body. Age is not a major consideration with liposuction as long as your skin is firm and elastic. Else, your skin may begin to sag in places from where the fat has been removed. It is important to note that liposuction does not remove cellulite but only removes fat. Thus, for people with cellulite, liposuction may not give them the results they desire.
If you're thinking of undergoing liposuction, do not expect the procedure to give you a supermodel's figure. Be realistic in your expectations. Here are a few other things to keep in mind.
Liposuction does not show instant results:
Recovery from a liposuction surgery is quick and you may be back to your normal routine within a few weeks. However, the treated area may still look swollen. This can take two to three months to subside. Hence, work backwards and time your surgery with regard to major life events.
The results are long lasting:
Undergoing liposuction surgery does not mean that you will not be overweight again, but it means that fat will not collect in the areas that have been treated. If you do gain weight, the fat will be redistributed to other areas.
Smoking and alcohol must be avoided:
Smoking and alcohol both inhibit healing. It also increases your risk of complications during the surgery. Stop drinking and smoking at least three weeks prior to your surgery, and avoid it until your body has healed completely.
Can be beneficial for many parts of the body:
Liposuction can be performed on many areas of the body. The thighs, abdomen, breasts and buttocks are common areas where this surgery is performed. Other areas are the back, face and neck.
Like any other surgery, liposuction has its risks.
While some risks are very rare, others can be quite common. Here are three minor risks that you should be aware of:
- Excessive liposuction: Removing too much fat can leave your skin looking unnatural and uneven.
- Skin discoloration: When making an incision for liposuction, the skin cells in the area may rupture and release melanin into the surrounding area. This can cause prolonged hyper pigmentation that can take 4-6 months to heal. Patients with a dark skin tone have a higher risk of hyper pigmentation.
- Swelling and bruising: When liposuction is performed on the lower part of the body, swelling and bruising are common side effects. This usually disappears within 2-3 days. Choosing open drainage vs. placing sutures on the incision sites can reduce the chances of this happening.
In case you have a concern or query you can always consult an expert & get answers to your questions!
A craniofacial surgery is required when there are deformities or abnormalities present in the head or face area of the patient. Depending on the type of deformity, a craniofacial surgery is done to repair or reconstruct it.
The areas that come under a craniofacial surgeon's domain are the cranium (skull), the brain, the face, skin on the face, facial bones, and the nerves. For this reason, in order to conduct craniofacial surgery, a neurosurgeon and a cosmetic surgeon may often work together.
The time taken for completing a craniofacial surgery may vary between four hours and twelve hours.
Why do you need a craniofacial surgery?
There may be multiple reasons why a patient would require craniofacial surgery. These are:
- Tumors in the head or face region are one of the most common causes behind this type of surgery. The surgeries conducted to remove these tumors may sometimes lead to the formation of deformities in the region. A craniofacial surgery is conducted in order to correct them.
- This kind of surgery can also be used to correct abnormalities formed as a result of injuries or wounds on the face, the jaw or the head.
- Some patients may also undergo a craniofacial surgery in order to correct defects that they were born with. Such defects include Apert Syndrome (a syndrome characterized by the premature fusion of certain bones in the skull), cleft palate or cleft lip and craniosynotosis (premature fusion of certain bones in the skull).
Risks related to Craniofacial Surgery:
Certain risks are associated with this type of surgery. These are:
- A craniofacial surgery is conducted after putting the patient under general anesthesia. As a result of this, the patient may suffer from breathing problems, blood clots, infections and blood loss. He or she may also react to the medicine in an unwanted way.
- As a result of the surgery, the patient may also lose their bone grafts partly or wholly. He or she may go through cranial nerve dysfunction or damage in the brain. The formation of permanent scars is another possible risk of a craniofacial surgery. Some patients, especially children who are of growing age, may need a follow up surgery later on.
- Certain patients can face more risks as compared to other patients. These include patients who are malnourished, or suffer from other illnesses like lupus. Those that have suffered nerve damage in the past are likelier to develop complications. Smoking is also another risk factor.
In case you have a concern or query you can always consult an expert & get answers to your questions!
Hair transplantation surgery is a procedure where the hair follicles are taken from a donor site (usually the side or back of the head) and implanted on the recipient site that is on the area of baldness. This is a common treatment for men with androgenic alopecia (male pattern baldness) where the hair follicles reduce due to the influence of androgenic hormones. It can also help women with female pattern baldness.
Many people have reservations about the procedure but hair transplantation comes with a number of advantages, such as:
Natural growth after surgery - The biggest and most obvious benefit of hair transplantation is that it improves your physical appearance and eliminates the problem of balding completely. This is because the implanted hair follicles continue their natural growth process after they have been transplanted. So, your hair does not look artificial. Premature bald spots often result in low self-esteem and self-confidence issues which can be effectively addressed by the surgery.
Uniform distribution of hair follicles. Hair transplantation with latest techniques gives natural distribution of hair and proper coverage to bald areas.
Easy procedure and no side effects - The operation is done under local anaesthesia. You will feel no pain throughout the procedure. Very comfortable procedure and you will be awake throughout the procedure. This surgery is done at the level of skin and this is not related to the brain. There is no side effect of this surgery. Today, the surgeons mostly use micro grafts which are placed in such a way that all bald spots are covered with minimal effort.
One-time procedure - Hair transplantation is the only permanent solution of baldness. No medical treatment for baldness is permanent. Once hair transplantation has been done, it lasts a lifetime. Since the grafts are made of your own hair, they continue to grow naturally throughout your lifetime allowing you to cut or style your hair as you wish. Consult an Expert & get answers to your questions!
Over the past decade, many women have opted for Breast Augmentation Surgery. It is a surgical process to improve the aesthetics of one's breast. Apart from giving a much needed lift to the bust size, the augmented breasts can lift up your confidence. Breast Augmentation Surgery, if gone wrong, can create a havoc. The outcome of the surgery can be influenced by a number of factors. Thus, before going under the knife, some important and vital points need to be taken care of.
- It is advisable to avail the services of an experienced surgeon, who has a higher success rate. A lot of confusions and apprehensions may arise during course of the surgery. An experienced surgeon will ease out the tension to a great extend and guide you better.
- Breast Augmentation is no child's play. Do not embark on breast augmentation surgery if you are below 18 years of age. It can result in serious health complications. Surgery can wait, but health once lost, will be gone forever.
- Know the type of implants to be used. Saline and Silicone implants are commonly used in breast augmentation. Both the implants come with their own sets of merits and demerits.
Being softer and smoother, Silicone implants give the augmented breasts a very natural feel. The chances of scalloping (the skin around the breasts appear wavy) are negligible in case of Silicone implants. However, the Silicone implants come pre-filled. Thus, a bigger incision is needed to get it inserted. Though approved by the FDA, leakage of the silicone implants into the body has been reported. The leakage can affect the health seriously. Interference of Silicone implants with the mammogram can also pose a serious threat.
The Saline implants, on the other hand, are not pre filled. Thus, a small incision is all it takes to get the implants inserted. Once inserted, the implants are filled with saline solution. The saline implants can also leak into the body, without any serious implications. The biggest limitation of saline implants is in the fact that it gives the breasts a very hard feel. Scalloping cannot be ruled out either.
Things to take care of:
- Do not go for breast augmentation surgery if you are planning to start a family in 1-2 years of time. A weaning or lactating lady should also avoid the surgery.
- The exact location of the implant is an important factor to ponder upon. One can go for an under the muscle or over the muscle implants.
- One can opt for a round implant or a tear shaped implant. The biggest USP of tear shaped implant lies in the fact that it gives a very natural feel to the augmented breasts. The round implants, on the other hand, are much safer to use.
- Go for the surgery only when you are physically, mentally and emotionally fit and healthy.
Non-surgical cosmetic procedures are non-invasive procedures that make the skin look smoother and unblemished. These include dental cosmetic procedures as well, which are carried out to make your teeth look whiter and properly aligned.
Since surgical procedures are complicated with certain risk factors involved, they may not always be the preferred choice. This is when non-surgical procedures come in. Non-surgical cosmetic procedures can reduce wrinkles, alter the appearance of the lips, remove blemishes, moles and thread veins and even smooth the surface of the skin.
What are the types of non-surgical treatments you can opt for?
There are several types of non-surgical treatments. The commonly-used ones include:
Botox or botunilaum toxin type a is treatment used for removing skin blemishes. It is injected into a particular part of the face to reduce fine lines and wrinkles that usually appear at middle age. It is very popular as people consider it as an effective and relatively safer procedure compared to other invasive procedures.
• Dermal fillers
Dermal fillers are injections that are used to fill in wrinkles and creases on the skin surface. They also play a part in increasing the volume and size of the lips.
Chemical peels are specifically designed liquids that remove dead skin cells on the surface of the skin and accelerate the growth of new cells. They improve the general appearance of the skin, reduce uneven pigmentation and eliminate acne. There are three types of chemical peels - superficial, medium and deep.
• Non-surgical laser treatments
These forms of treatment are usually used to remove unwanted hair on the face and body, and to remove tattoos from the skin surface. In laser hair removal treatment, a laser beam is used to heat the small cavities in the skin from which the hair grow out. This process damages the follicles and reduces the growth of hair.
Microdermabrasion is a procedure in which fine crystals and vacuum are used to remove dead cells from the skin surface. It successfully eliminates wrinkles and skin blemishes.
What are the risks?
Non-surgical procedures are less harmful than surgical procedures. However, over correction can be difficult to treat, as well as asymmetrical placement of fillers and allergic reactions to the procedures. You should discuss the allergies and other potential complications of the procedure with the doctor. If you wish to discuss about any specific problem, you can consult a Cosmetic/Plastic Surgeon.
Liposuction can be defined as a surgery, which uses the suction technique to pull out bodily fat from various parts. It is more commonly used for certain body parts like the abdomen, hips, thighs, buttocks, arms or neck and the surgery is performed on both men and women.
However, there are certain facts on liposuction you need to know about:
- Liposuction gives you better skin
It is proven that after a liposuction surgery, the skin becomes more elastic, smooth and adjusts automatically to its new shape.
- The process of liposuction
- Time taken for the results of liposuction to show
After a liposuction surgery, you may not see the results immediately. Compression garments and/or elastic garments are used to get your affected body part to adapt to its new shape.
The side effects of liposuction
A liposuction surgery is mostly safe but in some cases it might just have certain side effects. The most common side effects are: temporary fluid accumulations, short-lived numbness, kidney and heart problems, internal organ damage/puncture, skin irregularities, etc.
Now that you know how it works, there are some factors that you need to keep in mind before going for a liposuction surgery. They are:
- Checking your medical history
The operating doctor should carefully review your medical history before even thinking to start the surgery. This helps to disclose a lot of medical conditions related to the patient that minimize the side effects.
- Checking your family's medical history
The health records of your family should also be reviewed to check for genetic conditions and allergies that might be common amongst the family members. If you wish to discuss about any specific problem, you can consult a Cosmetic/Plastic Surgeon.
You might be spending a lot to add to your beauty. But there are many bad habits which affect your beauty. Here is the list of the most common terrible habits which might be damaging your skin and health.
1. Squeezing pimples: When you pop a pimple, clogged pore is burst open releasing bacteria. These bacteria come in contact with your rest of the skin and increase the acne. Moreover, habit of squeezing pimples may also leave scars and pock marks. The best way to get rid of pimples is to use medicated/ antibacterial soap and let it heal itself.
2. Licking/ chewing your lips: Chewing your lips make them even drier and chapped. It makes you to lick and chew your lips more often. Excessive lip biting also results into bleeding and infection. To avoid this, get yourself a good lip balm and apply regularly to moisturize and protect your lips.
3. Nail biting: Nail biting result in ugly hands, fingers and nails due to cuticle biting. It can also result in infections of nails, mouth, finger and dental problems affecting your smile too. Work upon triggers to prevent these issues by yoga, manicure etc.
4. Smoking: Smoking affects your skin making it dry and rough. It decreases the blood flow to the skin and damages your collagen and elastic which result into saggy and loose skin. Quit smoking.
5. Sleeping with makeup on: Make up clog your skin pores and oil glands, making it difficult to breathe and prone to acne. To avoid this, spare sometime before going to sleep to cleanse your makeup and moisturize the skin well.
6. Ignoring the sunscreen: Ignoring sunscreen in summer is exposing your skin to UV rays. UV rays cause wrinkles and dry your skin giving you the older look. To protect your skin from UV rays, use sunscreen before half n hour of going out.
7. Inadequate sleep: Inadequate sleep releases the stress hormone in the body. It also ages your skin by decreasing collagen from skin. Hence try getting enough sleep. If you wish to discuss about any specific problem, you can consult a Cosmetic/Plastic Surgeon.
Scars are referred to as marks left on the skin or body tissue, caused by an accident or injury. Scars are part of the natural healing process that takes place after an injury. When the white blood cells attack bacteria, they cause physical changes to the underlying skin cells around the area, thereby leading to the formation of a scar.
There are different types of scars, caused due to different factors. Some of the commonly occurring scars are:
1) Atrophic scars - These types of scars are flat against the upper layer of the skin. This type of scarring is caused by hyperpigmentation and is marked by discolored parts and patches of the skin. Initially, they are red, dark and raised. With the help of medicines and passage of time, they gradually fade away.
2) Hypertrophic scars - These types of scars appear to be elevated or raised and are caused as a result of a disparity in the production of collagen (connective tissues). These scars do not extend beyond the outline of the original wound, and can remain for a period 2-5 years. Hypertrophic scars turn flatter and paler with the course of time and with the help of requisite medication.
3) Keloid scars - Keloid scars tend to appear when the skin goes through an aggressive healing process. This causes thick, dark, clustered scars to form, which are often in contrast with the surrounding skin. Secretion of excess collagen on the affected area can also be a cause of keloid scars. Although medications are used, the most effective way to remove keloid scars is through surgery.
4) Scar contractures - This type of scar is caused due to burns. Burns present on the joints and creases stiffen the affected area, causing difficulty in movement and flexibility. Deep contracture scars may in some cases lead to dysfunctions in nervous and muscular activities.
5) Acne scars - Acne and pimples are acute skin problems, and the marks they leave behind are long lasting. Acne scars are caused due to severe acne and show differing patterns when it comes to their shape, type, and depth. In fact, the treatment for acne scars varies depending on these factors. If you wish to discuss about any specific problem, you can consult a Cosmetic/Plastic Surgeon.
Who doesn't love a head full of thick, lush and healthy hair? It not only enhances our appearance, but also makes us look and feel young and spirited. So naturally, losing hair in copious amounts or going bald can be a nightmare for many. But with the hair transplant procedure, you can easily get a head full of hair and regain your confidence.
Hair transplant revolves around the surgical removal of hair follicles from a donor site of a body to a balding patch which is called the recipient site. The process is minimally invasive, and grafts containing hair follicles which are resistant to balding, are transplanted to the bald spot. This method is also used for restoring eyebrows, eyelashes, chest hair, beard hair, pubic hair and for filling in accident or surgical scars.
Here is a closer look at how hair transplant is conducted:
After cleaning your scalp, the surgeon will inject a medicine to make the back of your head numb.
He will then either follow the Follicular Unit Strip Surgery (FUSS) or Follicular Unit Extraction (FUE) to implement the transplantation.
FUSS procedure: In FUSS, the surgeon will remove a strip of skin, 6 to 10 inches in length, from the back of your head. He will then sew back that portion of the scalp, and it will be hidden by the hair surrounding it. Next, the removed skin strip will be divided into 500 to 2000 minute grafts, with each containing a single hair or a couple of hairs. The type and number of grafts will be based on your hair quality, type, color and the dimensions of the recipient site.
FUE procedure: In FUE, the surgeon will shave the back of your scalp and remove the follicles one by one. The concerned area will heal with small dots and the surrounding hair will conceal it. FUE technique is the latest and has least complication rates. It is one of the most widely accepted method of hair transplantation due to less bleeding, no linear scarring, faster recovery and better cosmetic acceptability of donor area.
In both the methods of transplant, after the graft is prepared, the surgeon will clean and numb the area where the hair needs to be transplanted to. He will then create slits or holes with a needle or scalpel and carefully place each graft in each hole. It might take 4 to 8 hours for the entire procedure to be conducted. And if you want thicker hair, more sessions might be required.
Here is a look at the other aspects of hair transplantation:
Recovery: Your scalp maybe tender post surgery and you may require pain medicines for quite some time. Antibiotics and anti-inflammatory drugs may also be prescribed. You will be able to get back to work in 2 to 5 days after the procedure.
What to expect: Though in 2 to 3 weeks after the surgical process, your transplanted hair will fall off, you will notice new hair growth in a few months. Often, 60-80% hair grow back in 6-8 months.
Risks: Bleeding, infections, scarring and unnatural hair growth are some of the risks associated with hair transplantation. When new hair begins to grow, some people complain of inflammation of the hair follicles, but this can be resolved with medication. If you wish to discuss about any specific problem, you can consult a cosmetic-plastic surgeon.