Book Clinic Appointment with Dr. M.N. Sankar
Submit a review for Dr. M.N. SankarYour feedback matters!
Patient Review Highlights
He is very precise in identifying the health issues by just reading the pulse. More importantly, his expertise will be felt, if you undergo acupuncture treatment as per preferred timeline by him. He is not commercial like others in the field, continue showing his human part for the poors too.
I found the answers provided by the Dr. M.N. Sankar to be sensible, practical, very helpful, knowledgeable and well-reasoned. Thank you ,that is really really very helpful!!
promptly attended,guidance given .was easily approachable.
Arthritis is among the most common ailments that afflict a large section of the population, especially comprising the age groups of beyond 40 years. Acute joint pains, difficulties in movement and weakened bones are among the most common symptoms of arthritis. Given that it is a condition that has permeated modern life so deeply and that it has also caused a lot of unwanted hindrance to your normal activities, arthritis is one of the feared illnesses of our times. It is true that a fair amount of research has been dedicated towards finding a viable cure for arthritis and many have in fact proven to be effective, but most of these drugs come with their own baggage of side effects. Thus, many of us seek a more natural and lasting healing option that not only soothes the pain but restores our health from within.
Over the recent years, acupuncture has gained a lot of steam as an effective and comprehensive therapy for a wide range of diseases. Among the others, joint ailments and arthritis are prominent diseases that have been comprehensively minimized by benefits reaped out of acupuncture.
Acupuncture believes that the health boosting energy flows through your body through strategic pressure points and by stimulating spasms and afflicted muscles through insertion of tiny needles into the skin, pain can be adequately diminished. Acupuncture also ebbs the harmful side effects that anti-inflammatory drugs and painkillers cause.
Some of the obvious benefits of acupuncture could be enlisted as follows-
Alternative to Surgeries: On several occasions, on account of the failure of the usual drug therapy, you may opt for joint replacement surgeries which again usher in its own set of distresses. Acupuncture on the contrary, cures the pain by relying on your innate defense mechanisms and facilitates a natural remedy to arthritis.
- Enhances the effectiveness of the usual drugs: For those enduring chronic arthritis pains, acupuncture brings substantial relief but the treatment is long drawn. In such cases, one may choose to not discontinue the drugs and use acupuncture as a complementary therapy. Even in such cases, acupuncture is extremely helpful. It offsets the harmful effects that the drugs have on your body and boosts their impacts on the diseased parts of your body. This method has proven to be a reliable recipe for complete recovery. If you wish to discuss any specific problem, you can consult an acupuncturist.
Auricular Therapy is an ear based acupuncture therapy that can help in weight loss with the help of appetite suppression. Acupuncture helps in improving the serotonin level which works towards improving the smooth muscle of the stomach. This in turn helps in curbing one's hunger and appetite. The therapy is aimed at the vagal nerve in the ears.
History: While acupuncture has been practiced for several years as a part of Chinese Medicine, it has been imbibed as a part of alternative therapy and healing in the recent decades. The method of Auricular therapy for weight loss was first put forth by a research report presented in an Australian health journal, in the year 1998.
Requirement: The number of sessions and the intensity will depend on the goal weight of the person. Usually, each person requires a session of thirty to thirty five minutes at a time. This therapy works best for a weight loss goal of five to ten pounds at a time with sessions at least three times in a week.
Types: There are various types of auricular therapy that can help in stimulation of specific points on the ear with the help of five needles. These needles and inserted and left for a short duration. This duration is no more than a week at a time. Through this process, the practitioner ensures that the metabolism and fat burning process becomes faster. This is also done with the help of herbal supplements that must be had at the same time.
Auricular Point Stimulation: The objective of this therapy is to stimulate those points in the ear which are known to have a deep connection with parts of the abdomen and digestive tract. This is especially helpful for those people who have an uncontrolled appetite and especially those who indulge in emotional eating. Some people may be put through a process of electrical stimulation in which the ears can be stimulated for prolonged periods of time. This is done by passing a high frequency electrical current in the needle that has been inserted in the point.
Safety and Warnings: While acupressure is considered as a safe discipline and practice, there are warning signs that one must look out for. Any undue pain, fatigue and stress should be warning signals that point at the fact that the treatment is not working as it should. In such a case, the therapy must be stopped on an immediate basis with the mutual consent of the practitioner and the patient.
Obesity and excessive weight gain can be fixed with a variety of natural methods including Auricular therapy, which gets to the root of the problem, namely uncontrolled appetite. If you wish to discuss any specific problem, you can consult an acupuncturist.
Conventional medicine treats pain with the help of medications; by either blocking the transmission of pain signals in the body or by correcting the underlying problems caused by the pain in the first place. However, traditional and alternative forms of medicine such as acupuncture manage pain issues within the body through the means of redirecting disrupted energy flows. One of the very few forms of alternative treatments used in conjunction with conventional treatments, acupuncture is seen as a mercurial rise in popularity in the past few decades.
What is acupuncture?
Acupuncture dates back to ancient China, about 2500 years ago. It has been widely practiced there for a number of millennia, not only pain relief, but also for treating many ailments. Acupuncture isn’t just considered a form of therapy, but a holistic form of medicine. Acupuncture works on the principle of the flow of energy within the body, also known as ‘Qi’, in traditional Chinese medicine. Acupuncture strives to correct the disruptions in ‘Qi’ that may cause pain by manipulating over 2000 of the specific pressure points within the body with the help of specially created needles.
Where is acupuncture effective?
Acupuncture is very effective in treating a host of ailments, especially in relieving the associated pain. Some of the areas where acupuncture has proven its effectiveness are:
1. Treating nausea and vomiting caused due to chemotherapy treatment for cancer patients
2. Very useful in treating post-operative pain caused due to dental procedures
3. Rehabilitating patients who have suffered strokes
4. Fibromyalgia (musculo-skeletal pain with fatigue accompanied by sleep and memory issues)
5. Effective in combating withdrawal symptoms caused due to addiction
6. Pain from menstrual cramps
7. Tennis elbow
8. Osteoarthritis (a type of arthritis caused due to the erosion of tissues present at the ends of one’s bones)
9. Pain of the lower vertebrae within the spinal column
How does acupuncture work within the body?
According to modern medicine, the specific pressure points utilized by acupuncture within the body help in releasing chemicals that can block or at least reduce pain. It encourages the flow of chemicals from the brain, which act as nerve and pain blockers. It also helps stimulate the muscles and nerve endings, which can lessen inflammation and thus help in reducing pain. If you wish to discuss about any specific problem, you can consult an acupuncturist.
My relative who is male aged 36, presents with a chief complaint of having feeling so tired, giddiness, feeling strength less from past 6 years. He has been to US (3 weeks ago) and now he is staying there. Before leaving to US, he consulted doctor and was found to have of low BP and low sugar levels. No doubt he works late night in his office, feeling so rest less, taking less meals also (doesn't take food properly). So he is asking how can I overcome all these feelings of fatigue, tiredness and how to control BP and sugar and lead healthy lifestyle again. And he is also saying that he is facing some difficulty in adjusting to food habits there in US. Can you please help with you r solutions.
Lower back pain at some point in time or the other has almost become inevitable in today’s world, especially because of the increasingly sedentary lifestyle that many tend to lead. Acupuncture, borrowed from the ancient domains of Chinese medicine, is often recommended by doctors as one of the foremost remedies to lower back pain.
Acupuncture requires insertion of thin sterilized needles at particular points of the body. The body has over 2000 pressure points which are connected by meridians or pathways, generating an energy flow known as ‘Qi’.
Triggering these points helps to correct and improve the energy flow, which in turn boosts overall health and helps alleviate pain. On using this therapy, the central nervous system stimulates the release of chemicals into the brain, spinal cord and muscles. These chemicals either produce bodily changes or alter one’s experience of pain to promote healing a feeling of well-being.
How acupuncture works by:
1. Accelerating the relay of the electromagnetic signals which initiate the flow of endorphins (hormones secreted by the brain) which have analgesic effects on the body.
2. Stimulating the release of a chemical in the brain, known as natural opioids, which ease the pain and induce sleep.
3. Modifying the brain chemistry by altering the release of neurohormones (hormones secreted by a group of nerve cells) and neurotransmitters (chemical messengers that relay messages within the body, from one neuron to another, known as the ‘target’ neuron, to muscle or a gland cell). Neuro-hormones affect the activity of the concerned organ or the tissue while neurotransmitters dampen the nerve impulses.
Side effects of Acupuncture:
1. If the acupuncture is carried out by a trained and an experienced acupuncturist, it is usually considered safe.
2. Adverse side-effects include ruptured organs or infections. If you wish to discuss about any specific problem, you can consult a doctor and ask a free question.
Would gyming effect my grade 2 varicocele. It has no swelling, no pain no symptoms. If not the gym can I do free body weight exercises like skipping, push ups,pull ups. I really want to know about my question.
Almost 8 out of 10 individuals have low back pain eventually in life. It is one of the top reasons people look for medical treatment. It is likewise the number one reported reason for acupuncture therapy.
Acupuncture started in China over 2,500 years back. It includes inserting slim needles at specific points on the body. As per traditional Chinese practices, the body has more than 2,000 of these points. They are associated by pathways or meridians, which make a stream of energy called Qi (pronounced "chee").
The impacts originate from the centre of our nervous system. Release of chemicals into the muscles, spinal rope, and cerebrum is then triggered.
- To begin with, your acupuncturist will get some information about your medical history. This will help him in exploring the various trouble giving points as avoiding those that may lead to an aggravation of the problem. Also, with this information, the acupuncturist will also be able to arrive at the exact treatment that will suit your body and system, as well as the symptoms that you may be experiencing.
- He or she will then examine your tongue's shape, shading, and covering, feel your heartbeat, and perhaps play out some extra physical examinations depending upon your health. This helps in understanding the various patterns related to sleep, exercise, diet and digestion. In keeping with these findings, the acupuncturist will then home in on the exact points that require treatment.
- Keeping the aforementioned in mind, he/she will then appoint the appropriate treatment plan to address your specific condition.
- To start the needle therapy treatment, you lay easily on a treatment table while exact acupoints are determined on different points of your back.
- Lastly, the fine needles are then tenderly set. The needles are usually sterilised and new before they are inserted.
Benefits for back pain:
- It enhances the body's self-healing process by stimulating the acupuncture points.
- Releases your body from chronic pain and specifically helps the lumbar region in better balance so that back pain is avoided.
- This method warms the body and creates a more congenial environment for pain free good health.
- Protects it against pathogens.
- Contains natural liquids. Changes those liquids into other usable types of energy for the body.
- Strengthens the immune system.
- Improves sleep.
- Improves the digestive framework.
- Gives you a sense of well-being
Apart from infrequent throbbing and soreness at the acupoints, there are no such side effects if you visit an established acupuncturist. If practiced by an experienced acupuncturist, the technique is highly effective and beneficial. Additionally, acupuncture is the safest therapy for back pain.
Individuals suffering from continuous back pain have observed needle therapy to be useful. Numerous Pain Clinics now utilize needle therapy as a standard treatment.