Lybrate.com has an excellent community of Psychiatrists in India. You will find Psychiatrists with more than 29 years of experience on Lybrate.com. You can find Psychiatrists online in Chennai and from across India. View the profile of medical specialists and their reviews from other patients to make an informed decision.
Book Clinic Appointment with Dr. M. Murugan
Treatment & Management of Stress
Treatment of Mood Disorder
Treatment Of Male Sexual Problems
Sex Addiction Counselling
Treatment Of Female Sexual Problems
Anger Management Therapy
Treatment of Behaviour & Thought Problems
Quit Smoking Techniques
Cognitive Behavioral Therapy
Memory Improvement Techniques
Obsessive Compulsive Disorder Treatment
Treatment of Abnormal Behaviour
Submit a review for Dr. M. MuruganYour feedback matters!
I am continuously having feeling of anxiety and depression because of work load under a racist manger and some personal issues. But I can’t help it to think same again and again. Sometimes it feels like, leave everything, nothing is going to change. I was a damn good traveller, music listener and an artist. Now, I don’t even think about that. I am full of pain inside.
I am 28 year old male. I found that from few month I have got heaviness in my mind. I could not considered long time so I am not reading books more than 10 or 15 minutes continuously. What should I do?
Dear doctor, if one's weight is reduced due to chronic anxiety, will his bad cholesterol LDL be reduced in blood?
I am feeling stressed fron last month. I took pills and advices from nearby doctors but nothing worked so what can I do to take out my stress off.
My mother is suffering from depression and is under medication but the symptoms of depression are still showing. It started on 11th april 2017 when her bp suddenly got very high and she started cluttering her teeth. She then started speaking anything and did very usual activities. Under medication these symptoms were controlled but now she is behaving usual in sleep like trying to choke her neck and tightly holding her hands and here breathing rate ia also high in this duration. My question is to whom we should consult now a neurologist can help in this situation?
You might be feeling that spending time on any social media network is a simple way to pass time and is a common habit. But a recent study by University of Chicago Booth School of Business says that social networking sites can be more addictive, than alcohol. The desire to consume alcohol can be controlled and turned down, but the desire to check Facebook is simply uncontrollable for most people, and it’s a serious addiction.
About the study
The ground breaking study was done on 250 people in and around Germany aged between 18 and 85 years of age. They were sent messages at specific intervals to report their desires and cravings. It is found that most people had the desire to sleep and have sex during the day that they were able to control. But the desire for checking Facebook was much higher.
Reasons for Facebook addiction
- One of the major reasons is that availability of Facebook is much easier and higher than alcohol availability.
- Also, it is thought that the cost of checking Facebook is much less than consuming some amount of alcohol on a regular basis.
- Even if a man wants to resist his desire, but due to easy availability and lesser cost, he is prone to use it again and again.
- Alcohol consumption is prohibited in public and during office hours in many countries. But checking Facebook updates have no restrictions. People can check it whenever they feel the desire.
- The most shocking part is the urges drove the people to such an extent, that they couldn’t even resist themselves even if they wanted to do so.
Effects of Facebook addiction
- Drainage of time: No matter how good we feel while checking Facebook updates, can you deny that it’s simply a waste of time?
- Self esteem reduced: When you see your peers enjoying their life with flying colors, no wonder you will feel depressed. But we are reluctant to believe this fact, that nobody shows his tragic part of life on Facebook. So, whom you think is the happiest person in the world, may be the saddest and is drowned in his own miseries.
Remedy of this so called addiction
The study says that when we are much worn out, we are unable to control our desire and our will power is depleted.
So, if you find yourself posting your status on Facebook at the midnight instead of sleeping, then it is high time you should try to come out of this addiction and give yourself a better life and health. If you wish to discuss about any specific problem, you can consult a psychologist.