Find numerous ENT Specialists in India from the comfort of your home on Lybrate.com. You will find ENT Specialists with more than 43 years of experience on Lybrate.com. Find the best ENT Specialists online in Chennai. View the profile of medical specialists and their reviews from other patients to make an informed decision.
Book Clinic Appointment with Dr. M Ilambarathi
Treatment of Cold Cough
Treatment of Ear Pain
Treatment of Sneezing
Treatment of Sinusitis
Treatment of Mouth Sores
Treatment of Flu
Treatment of Allergic Rhinitis
Coughing Treatment & Management
Treatment of Hearing Loss
Treatment of Sore Throat
Treatment of Blocked Nose
Treatment of Snoring
Treatment of Stammering
Treatment of Nose Bleed
Treatment of Tinnitus
Treatment of Vertigo
Treatment of Nose Infection
Cysts Removal Procedure
Treatment of Glue Ear
Treatment of Sleep Apnea
Submit a review for Dr. M IlambarathiYour feedback matters!
good and respect
We humans are obsessed with the way we look. This is despite the fact that we can only see what the mirror (or our pictures) shows and nobody can actually see their own faces. The nose is one part that very few are happy with. It is either too short, long, round, sharp, whatnot. To add to that, science has come up with the size and shape that can make one look beautiful. There are surgeries that can shape it up, so you can walk with your nose held high!!
Rhino, stands for nose, and plasty is for surgery. Rhinoplasty is a surgical procedure which is useful in correcting the shape and size of the nose. Earlier done as a treatment for people with chronic nasal congestion and blocks, it has gained popularity as a cosmetic procedure in the recent decades.
As noted, rhinoplasty could be done for cosmetic and therapeutic reasons, some of them being:
- Nose completely out of proportion with the facial size
- Misshapen tip of the nose, which could be drooping, hooked, or bulbous
- Nostrils not in proper position or misshapen
- Asymmetrical nostrils
- Nasal bridge having lumps or bumps
- Externally visible deviation of the nasal septum, causing both cosmetic and breathing issues
During the surgical reshaping, cartilage may be added or removed to achieve the desired shape.
What to expect before the procedure?
Getting yourself in the right hands. Think about it, in the wrong hands, this surgery can have very serious effects, not just functionally but also cosmetically. You could then end up wishing that you were better off with the previous, misshapen nose. After the surgery, you will notice a different you in the mirror, as the nose has a telling effect on a person’s appearance.
At the time of surgery:
Depending on the extent of surgery, local or general anesthesia is used. General is preferred though. With a local anesthesia, you will be aware of the sights and sounds of the surgery.
Post the procedure:
Once the procedure is over, gradually expect the following.
- A puffy face, as the tissue around the eyes and the nose will be considerably swollen
- The nose will be covered with a splint for at least a week. This allows the bones and cartilage to settle down in their new position.
- Use a cold compresses to help in pain control and reduce swelling
- Take the entire course of antibiotics and pain killers
- Sleep with the head of the bed elevated for the first one week postoperatively
Rhinoplasty is definitely a choice to improve appearance and self-esteem; the key is to place yourselves in safe hands. In case you have a concern or query you can always consult an expert & get answers to your questions!
Sinusitis or sinus infections can be quite a debilitating ailment when it becomes recurrent. Sinuses are cavities within our head just behind the nose which extends up to our forehead and to certain areas of the cheeks. These cavities are filled with a mucosal lining which helps you breathe and also filters the air which goes to the lungs. When the mucosal lining gets inflamed, it blocks the normal drainage of the mucus into the nose. This results in headaches, nasal polyps and general discomfort. Homeopathy offers some great remedies for this condition, without side effects. Some of these are discussed below.
Homeopathic remedies for sinus problems
- Belladonna: This medication is very effective when the sinusitis has resulted in a suppressed discharge from the nose which occurs intermittently. If you have a splitting headache which feels unbearable, Belladonna can help relieve the symptoms quickly. If the infection of the sinus has spread to the throat and results in cough, Belladonna can be equally effective in those circumstances as well.
- Pulsatilla: If you are experiencing a greenish mucosal discharge from your nose without a painful burning sensation within it, Pulsatilla can be a very effective cure. Another indication where this medication is very effective is when you have headaches centered just above your eyes rather than over the forehead or other parts of your face.
- Kali Bichrome: This is another commonly prescribed medication to deal with the symptoms of sinusitis as well as to reduce inflammation and cure sinusitis altogether. If you have a lot of mucosal discharge that drops into your throat along with discharges through the nose, Kali Bichrome is the drug to go to. Other indications where it is effective are pain and heaviness in the nose and the inability to breathe with headaches in and around the eyes.
- Silicea: If you are feeling cold and constantly chilly along with nasal stuffiness, Silicea is the medication to go to. Along with discharges, your nose may form hard mucous crusts within it. Trying to manually remove these crusts may also cause bleeding. Silicea will reduce these symptoms and is also effective in reducing a headache which occurs mostly on the left side of your face.
- Merc Sol: If you are experiencing a yellowish green discharge from the nose along with a burning sensation and increased saliva secretion in your mouth, Merc Sol is the remedy to turn to. It is also effective wherein the headache has spread all around the head. If you wish to discuss about any specific problem, you can consult a Homeopath.