Lybrate.com has an excellent community of Ophthalmologists in India. You will find Ophthalmologists with more than 34 years of experience on Lybrate.com. You can find Ophthalmologists online in Chennai and from across India. View the profile of medical specialists and their reviews from other patients to make an informed decision.
Book Clinic Appointment
Treatment of Squint
Lasik Surgery Treatment
Routine Eye Checkup
Laser Cataract Surgery
Reduced Vision Treatment
Visual Field Testing
Retina And Lasik Surgery
Endoscopic Dcr Procedure
Eye Muscle Surgeries
Artificial Eye Procedures
Submit a review for Dr. M.HemanandiniYour feedback matters!
Hello doctor, I am 19 year old. I have c3r disease in eye. My eyeshight no. Is 3. What cani do. My eye sight gone weak day by day.Please do help me.
Hii my eyes become red in the evening and maximum yellowish in the day. I have a minor problem of cholesterol. What do I do.
I have a red eye in over 3 day what is this reason and I am exercise every day but not any change in my body. Why?
It is very essential in the present times to understand the training, ability and skills of the doctors whom you select for your needs.
An EYE DOCTOR is called OPHTHALMOLOGIST. He/She can possess following qualifications
- M.S (Ophth) : This is called Master Of Surgery in Ophthalmology. It takes THREE years of training in a Medical Council recognized Medical College after passing M.B;B.S and includes undertaking and submission of a thesis or research Paper during the training. It can be done by obtaining seat based on Merit, Based on reservation or Based on Donation
- D.O (Ophth) : This is called Diploma in Ophthalmology. It is similar to M.S. except that training period is TWO years and does NOT include doing research paper
- DNB (Ophth): This is called Diplomat of National Board in ophthalmology. The training is done after M.B;B.S in some private institutes or hospitals recognized by National board of examinations and not in MCI recognized Medical college
LONG TERM FELLOWSHIPS: As the knowledge base is increasing, there is further training undertaken for super specializing in some specific field of eye surgery through a process called FELLOWSHIP. This includes training for about two years after M.S., D.O or D.N.B in some Institues of repute like Shankar Nethralaya Chennai, Aravind Eye Care Systems ( Madurai/ Coimbatore), L.V.Prasad Eye Institute ( Hyderabad) to name a few. The training involves doing actual work in specialized techniques under supervision and guidance of experts in respective fields like Retina, Cornea, Glaucoma, Oculoplasty, Phaco and Refractive Surgery, Paediatric Ophthalmology, Neurophthalmology etc.
SHORT TERM FELLOWSHIPS: They are similar to long term fellowships but training period is very short , like 2-3 months . The training helps a general ophthalmologist to acquire some skills in a speciality but not sufficient to be able to be a super specialist. However, some doctors with such training may claim to be superspecialists!
ACEDEMIC FELLOWSHIPS: Such fellowships test the knowledge of Doctor through two or three steps of examinations/ Viva. There is no practical training given Examples are,
FRCS: Fellow of Royal College of Surgeons
FICO: Fellow of International Council of Ophthalmologists
FAICO: Fellow of All India Collegium of Ophthalmologists
Some senior Ophthalmologists who were trained in multiple eye diseases and worked for a long time in handling them may be as good as superspecialists in some areas.
Besides Ophthalmologists, some trained personnel can undertake some eye care tasks like
OPTOMETRISTS: They can assess and prescribe Spectacle power(numbers), prescribe and dispense contact lenses, run some eye tests on machines.
OPTICIANS: They can make/ sell glasses or contact lenses as prescribed by Ophthalmologists/ optometrists. They can not prescribe. Yet, many shops do so without Optometrists.
OPHTHALMIC TECHNICIANS: They can operate machines like Perimetry, OCT, A scan ultrasonography, Topography etc.
Hope that now the readers are better informed about their eye care providers.
While studying my eyes irritate me a lot because water droplets are coming from my eyes what should I do ?
Sunglasses are an important part of the accessories you use in summer or any time of the year. They help you to look fashionable and stylish and also make a pretty good style statement. But is that the only job of sunglasses? Or do they have something more to them? Here are a few reasons why sunglasses are more than just a style statement:
1. Decrease in eye problems: Generally, you use sunscreen to protect your skin from the Sun’s glare. Similarly, sunglasses protect your eyes from the harmful UV rays of the sun. It is extremely important for you to protect the eyes so that the harmful UV rays cannot enter the sensitive eye tissue and harm them. If you do not use sunglasses, then you have a higher chance of damaging your eye tissue than a person who uses them regularly. Bear in mind that the strong UV rays can cause serious permanent damage to your eyes.
2. Protection from other environmental components: Not only is the sun harmful to your eyes, but also the wind can be extremely dangerous for them. Dirt, sand, dust particles can fly into your eyes even when just a breeze is blowing. On a windy day, damage can be much more. If you are wearing sunglasses when out on a windy day, they act like a shield to your eyes against the wind and the particles,which might enter your eye.
3. Helps clear vision: It s often difficult to have a clear vision when out in the Sun. The bright sunlight doesn’t give you the clarity in vision. Without protection, you will have reduced vision as the bright glare of the Sun might cause you discomfort in your eyes and limit your vision as you will have to squint in the bright light.
4. Helps prevent aging: Although it might sound a bit surprising, but wearing sunglasses actually helps in prevent aging. The bright glare of the sun causes you to squint and this causes the age lines to appear. So, if you wear sunglasses and your eyes are protected from the bright sunlight, then you will not be squinting anymore, and hence it will not cause the age lines to appear before time.
So now, before you think that sunglasses only make you look good, think again about how they actually do much more than that. If you wish to discuss about any specific problem, you can consult a doctor and ask a free question.