Lybrate.com has an excellent community of Ophthalmologists in India. You will find Ophthalmologists with more than 31 years of experience on Lybrate.com. You can find Ophthalmologists online in Chennai and from across India. View the profile of medical specialists and their reviews from other patients to make an informed decision.
Book Clinic Appointment
Treatment of Squint
Lasik Surgery Treatment
Routine Eye Checkup
Laser Cataract Surgery
Reduced Vision Treatment
Visual Field Testing
Retina And Lasik Surgery
Endoscopic Dcr Procedure
Eye Muscle Surgeries
Artificial Eye Procedures
Submit a review for Dr. LakshmiYour feedback matters!
My eyes are got many scratches and yellow colour am still 23 doctors pls help me wth that suggest me any tablet.
For past1week my left eye has become little reddish no sign of irritation and also little blur. What is it.
Whenever I drive bike my eyes become red and I m not able to view other vehicle properly. Please suggest a solution for this.
I have pain in my eyes, my eyes become red, pain in head and I can not see from long distance properly. Then what should I do?
I am 23 year old. My eye is going inside day by day and I am looking very ugly. Please help me to get rrid out of thus what should I do so that it comes out.
I am experiencing a blurry vision in right eye and I went to eye doctor and they checked and ordered me glasses but still my blurry vision is severe and accompanied with headache and vomiting.
I have eye pain problem. When I saw tv n mobile light continually. My eye going to be red color its painful.
From 15 day I am suffering from eye pain and itching eye and headache and I went to doctor he gave me eye drop but there is no relief.
I've been having clear vaginal discharge here lately, it soaks my panties. My vagina is healthy but sometimes burns or itches. A couple months ago my boyfriend took my virginity. I don't know if this has anything to do with it or not:/ but I did have my last period on time and my normal flow. What's going on, should I go see the doctor?
Age-related macular degeneration, also known in brief as AMD or ARMD is one of the most common age-related causes for vision loss. It causes “blind spots” in vision, causing difficulty in activities requiring central vision like reading, sewing, driving, watching TV, computer usage, etc.
How it happens?
The centre portion of the eye is known as retina which has a screen in the posterior portion. For proper vision, light falls on this screen and is then processed to enable ‘vision.’ When this screen is not clear, blurred vision results. It may not cause total blindness but impairs vision including double vision and loss of central vision.
Types: There are two types of AMD, wet and dry.
- Dry: There are yellow deposits known as drusen which form in the macula, and as they grow in size, they impair vision, specifically the central vision. This is the common variant and can lead to the wet form.
- Wet: There are abnormal blood vessels which are formed in the retina. There is leaking of blood and fluid which makes it ‘wet.’ There could be scarring of these leaked substances, which again leads to loss of central vision. Further studies have shown that retina produces a protein knows as vascular endothelial growth factor (VEGF) which promotes the generation of new blood vessels, normally required for the production of new blood vessels. However, increased VEGF causes excessive proliferation of blood vessels, leading to macular degeneration.
Risk factors: Though age related, there are definitely some factors which put one at a higher risk for AMD
- Genetics: AMD is hereditary and runs in families
- Gender: Females are more prone to develop AMD than males
- Ageing: People above 60 are at greater risk
- Smoking: Direct and passive smoking contribute to AMD.
- Obesity: Accelerates the pace of AMD and severity of complications.
- Hypertension: Increases the chances of developing AMD
- Ethnicity: Caucasians are more prone to develop AMD as their lighter skin and eye color is more prone to sun damage
- Sun exposure: Increased sun exposure accelerates the onset of AMD
- No symptoms in the initial stages
- Gradually, there is impaired central vision, affecting activities like reading, driving, and computer usage
- Color perception is impaired
- A routine eye exam will reveal the yellow deposits which actually cause the condition.
- An angiography may be done after injecting a dye to detect blood vessel growth.
There is no cure, but progress can be delayed
Hi, how painful it is to undergo a circumcision and as I have learnt from online sources that it's a minor surgery needed for the same what costs are involved for the same and time frame to recover from the surgery. Please advise.
I am wearing spectacles since last 7 years. Will this be with me forever .My far vision is weak and i m a student.
Here are causes, effects and treatments of glaucoma
Hello I am Dr S Bharti founder and chairman of Bharti Eye hospital. Today I will be taking about Glaucoma quick is the second most common cause of blinding in elderly. Glaucoma is a complex of pressure and optic nerve damage related to each other and sometimes the pressure is higher than normal while sometimes it is normal. In either case optic nerve is unable to sustain the pressure and this condition is called Glaucoma. Most of the damage caused is irreversible and that is why regular eye checkups are important after the age of 40.
Glaucoma could be hereditary, diabetes is another common cause of it. That is why we suggest that people having other 2 situations should get very regular eye checkups.Glaucoma is a treatable disease and can be treated with eye drops. Surgery is required in extreme cases. The treatment available today is very successful and in most cases we are able to maintain a high quality of vision.
My suggestion is anybody who has a possibility of developing Glaucoma should go for regular eye checkups.Thank you. You can get in touch with me at Lybrate.