Lybrate.com has an excellent community of Dentists in India. You will find Dentists with more than 34 years of experience on Lybrate.com. You can find Dentists online in Chennai and from across India. View the profile of medical specialists and their reviews from other patients to make an informed decision.
Book Clinic Appointment
Treatment & Management of Braces
Treatment of Tetracycline Stains
Root Canal Treatment
Management of Dental Hygiene
Artificial Teeth Treatment
Braces Treatment for Adults and Teens
Ceramic Braces Treatment
Teeth Scaling & Polishing
Dental Extractions Procedure
Orthosis Fitting Procedure
Fixed Partial Denture Procedure
My teeth is senitive. I have root canning on that part of teeth I brush 2 times with sensodine. Also I have constipation problem.
My tongue getting dry and white coated In the morning tongue totally dry and in tongue lots of cough and it's got dry and yellows colours pls help me.
I am 52 year old man. From 2 days I have pain in right mendibal bone and pain in chewing and eating. Pl guide me that how this pain create and what I have to do?
Munching foods like apples, pears, carrots or celery after brushing can help in preventing discoloration
Im suffering from mouth wound. Twice in a month due to lack of vitamin c. What should I do to avoid it? Suggest some points.
I am suffering from a disease. I am not able to swallow anything, even my saliva I am not able to swallow. It's paining a lot while swallowing anything.
A problem with my teeth.. I can sense with my tongue its is broken. A small gap between gum and teeth no cavity at present what to do.
Hii I am 16 years old boy. My lower canines teeth are having gap inb/w them and my teeth always remains pale yellow. I used and changed many toothpastes due to no impact on my teeth. Please help me. Give me suggestion nd also tell me right toothbrush nd toothpaste to be used.
I am 16 years old and tell me which is toothpaste best for removal of yellowish on teeth? and also tell me some remedies to remove yellow stains on teeth.
I have been experiencing white patches in the mouth (under the tongue) and throat discomfortability for 8 years now. Aslo a cough with expectoration what could be that?
The gums are also called the periodontium which means perio for around and dontium for tooth as the gums are literally present "around the tooth." There is a softer mucosal portion that runs along the tooth in a curved manner and a stronger fibrous portion that connects the tooth to the jaw bone. Together, they provide the structural support for the tooth to be held in place. In addition they also have an aesthetic value with the healthy pink color.
The mouth has the largest number of bacteria in the body, which act on the food debris that is present on the tooth and the gums. This causes infection in both the gums and the tooth.
Types: Periodontal disease can be localized or general.
- Localized disease happens when a tooth is not accessible for thorough cleaning. The inside surface of lower incisors and outer surfaces of the upper last molars are common areas of localized periodontal disease.
- Generalized periodontal disease can be due to conditions like pregnancy, puberty, diabetes problem where gums around all the teeth are affected.
Symptoms: In both the cases, the following symptoms ensue:
- The gums are of a healthy pink color and if they turn darker hue of pink
- Swollen and/or painful gums
- Spontaneous bleeding: This may be localized or generalized
- Chronic bad breath: Due to food accumulation in the infected gums
- If it continues to form an abscess, pressure on the gums can produce pus
- Bad taste in the mouth (arising from pus in the gums)
- Gingival recession, producing an effect of having longer tooth
- Dentin is exposed leading sensitivity to hot or cold foods
- Loosening of the tooth
- Painful chewing, as it puts pressure on the inflamed periodontium
- Dentist will identify what are called pockets, which is an indication of severity - the deeper the pockets, the severe the disease.
Management and Prevention: Gum disease is very easy to identify and can be completely cured.
- Regular brushing and flossing can help maintain regular oral hygiene
- With each brushing session, plain finger massage of the gums improves blood circulation and their overall health
- Regular use of mouth rinse is a good way to improve gum health
- Regular visits to the dentist can help keep a check on the health of the teeth and the gums - early identification of disease and early treatment
- Once it has set in, deep scaling followed by root planing may be required to thoroughly clear out the infection
- More surgical options like gingival grafts, flap surgery, bone grafting in case of severe bone loss may be required.
- Management of conditions like diabetes
The best way to avoid periodontal disease is to know its symptoms, follow oral hygiene practices, and consult a dentist regularly.