Lybrate.com has an excellent community of Nephrologists in India. You will find Nephrologists with more than 25 years of experience on Lybrate.com. You can find Nephrologists online in Chennai and from across India. View the profile of medical specialists and their reviews from other patients to make an informed decision.
Book Clinic Appointment
Submit a review for Dr. KedaranathYour feedback matters!
An overactive bladder is marked by problems with one’s bladder storage system that results in sudden urge to urinate. Involuntary and leakage of urine is also a possibility in such a case.
The problem of an overactive bladder arises when the muscles of the bladder contract involuntarily. The conditions contributing to overactive bladder are:
- Excessive production of urine due to diabetes, poor kidney function or excessive fluid intake
- Medications that increase urine production by the bladder
- Acute infections in the urinary tract
- Abnormalities in the bladder, for instance, bladder stones or tumors
- Factors hindering bladder outflow such as constipation, enlarged prostate or earlier treatments for incontinence (loss of bladder control)
- Excessive intake of alcohol or caffeine
- Decline in one’s cognitive abilities due to factors such as ageing, thus making it hard for the bladder to comprehend the signals it gets from the brain
- Incomplete emptying of the bladder, leaving only a little storage space for the urine
- Neurological disorders
How it can be treated?
- Behavioral interventions help to manage overactive bladder effectively and without side-effects. They include-
- Exercises to strengthen one’s urinary sphincter and pelvic floor muscles
- Maintaining a healthy weight
- Regulating fluid consumption
- Planning a schedule for trips to the toilet
- Employing a catheter to empty the bladder entirely
- Medications to alleviate the symptoms of incontinence and overactive bladder are-
- Oxybutynin gel
- Oxybutynin as a skin patch
- Injecting small doses of Botox (Botulinum toxin), protein-bacteria, directly into the bladder tissues to partially paralyze the bladder muscles, thus delaying urination.
- Surgery to magnify bladder capacity
However, it is a must that you seek the guidance of a urologist on immediate basis.
I am 30 years old unmarried female. I have frequently urine problem. I didn't feel pain or burning. I have pcos too now I am taking homeopathy medication for both problem but urinary problem is still same. I don't have diabetes and I drink 2-4 ltrs water every day but still nothing helped. I am so depressed and feel ashamed of going out coz of it. Please help me.
Sir mujhe din me or sam ko yellow toilet aa ti hai. Me sir koi supplements or medicine nahi leta hu. Or body weak feel krti hai. My age 24 and weight 64.
Hello sir/madam, Im suffering from a pain in pennis when I am urinating And causing a pus (purulence) from the pennis From last two days Is this a infection due to heat Or due to sperms? Please reply me with a solution and medicine Thank you.
I am 58 years old person. I have very slow urine passing problem. Hospital has suggested for the operation. Any remedy with you apart from this.
I am having problem with my pelvic floor muscles from last 3 years. It gets affected from jaundice. I went to Neurosurgeon he prescribed some medicines and asked me to do pelvic exercise I am taking medicines and doing exercise but its showed very slow impact. I am also facing erection problem my pennis do not get hard easily and if some how I make it hard it do not stay for long. I am not able to hold my urine. Please tell me what should I do. Sometimes I feel to end up my life.
He is suffering from pain in whole abdomen but mostly around the kidney + sometimes whole back pain and sometimes feel heartburn for last 3 years. Most of the tests and medicines have been taken place and still he is taking different medicines but alas? He has been treated more than 20 specialists mostly different gastro specialist but the condition remains almost same Now it is humble request to you people to suggest a way where I can hope that I will become a healthful person. Thank you sir.
Kidney transplant surgery is a surgical procedure where a healthy kidney is used to substitute a diseased one. The healthy kidney is obtained from either a deceased donor or a family member who has a good blood type match with the recipient. Usually, the recipient receives one kidney if the donor is alive and/or both the kidneys from a deceased donor.
Certain reasons for going for a kidney transplant surgery might include:
1. Kidney failure due to diabetes
2. Infections in the urinary tract
3. Autoimmune disorders such as lupus (an autoimmune disorder)
4. Polycystic kidney disorders
5. Obstructions in the kidney
6. Glomerulonephritis, where inflammation occurs in the kidney
Preparation for the surgery
Before the procedure, certain tests are carried out to determine your suitability for the procedure. The tests start with a psychological evaluation followed by blood tests and diagnostic tests to check for health problems. Once the tests are done, you will be placed on the waiting list for kidney recipients. Once the donor is available, you will be asked to get ready for the surgery.
Procedure: The procedure begins with you being administered general anesthesia. An incision is made in the lower part of the stomach, through which the donated kidney is inserted in the body. The next step involves attaching adjacent blood vessels to the kidney so that it has a proper supply of blood. Finally, the ureter of the kidney is linked with the bladder, facilitating normal disposal of bodily wastes. A plastic tube, known as a stent, is placed in the ureter to facilitate urine flow. This is later removed by a procedure called cystoscopy. Once the surgery is completed, the incision is closed by stitches.
Aftercare: After the procedure is completed, you will be given painkillers to ease the pain. Immunosuppressant medications will be prescribed to prevent your immune system from destroying the cells of the donated kidney. Usually, the duration of stay at the hospital post-surgery is about a week.