Lybrate.com has an excellent community of Psychologists in India. You will find Psychologists with more than 26 years of experience on Lybrate.com. You can find Psychologists online in Chennai and from across India. View the profile of medical specialists and their reviews from other patients to make an informed decision.
Book Clinic Appointment
Treatment & Management of Stress
Treatment of Mood Disorder
Treatment of Abnormal Behaviour
Anger Management Therapy
Treatment of Behaviour & Thought Problems
Counselling And Stress Management
Treatment of Drug Abuse and Addiction
Nicotine De-Addiction Treatment
Obsessive Compulsive Disorder Treatment
Management of Parenting Issues & Doubts
Cognitive Behavioral Therapy
Sex Addiction Counselling
Submit a review for Dr. Kavitha VelusamyYour feedback matters!
I am 23 years old male. I trying to stop smocking. How can I stop that bad habit. And is der any tablets for stop smoking in market. Of der pls tell me. If I stop suddenly what happens.
Sir I always thinking about negative approach, like people don't want to talk to me, they hate me etc. I don't know what is happening to me. I can remember even smaller things I have mood swings. Please help me.
Born as a male but feel like a female OR born as a female but feel like a male. Some persons are unable to feel comfortable in the physical gender that they are born in; their mind, brain, feeling and thoughts are all of the opposite sex. This uncomfortableness in their mind about their physical gender is termed as Gender Identity Disorder.
What's the cause?
We do not know the exact cause of this disorder, but it is hypothesized that developmental changes in the brain and the body do not sync, and the brain/mind is left with a different gender than the body. This is mostly an unidentifiable and unpredictable change.
What are the symptoms?
- Children might express a desire to dress up as the opposite sex.
- They might express replusion at one's own sex organs/genitals.
- As adolescence begins, they do not develop feelings of attraction towards members of the opposite sex. Some complain of revulsion about their pubertal changes.
- Males want to pee while sitting down, while females want to do it standing up.
- Their behavior is often more like that of the opposite sex, e.g. boys might display feminine gestures, while girls might indulge in risk taking and reckless behavior.
- As they become adult, a realisation that they are stuck in a body that they do not like causes depression and anxiety.
Diagnosis: A diagnosis of Gender Identity Disorder (GID) is made based on a detailed assessment by a Psychiatrist, who is specially trained in this assessment. WPATH standards mandate that this is an ongoing assessment, and involves facilitating the process of Hormonal Treatment and eventual Sex Reassignment Surgery. The whole process can take 2-3 years.
Treatment: For those who have severe GID, eventual sex reassignment surgery is the treatment and outcome. However, support of family, friends and a Good Psychiatrist can enable a smooth transition. Psychiatrists will often use antidepressants and anxiolytics to make it easier for the person to cope with societal and family pressures.
I am a student and l want to learn one thing in one time. My question is what l have to done to to make my memory sharper and fast? Please give a solution?
I feel tired most of the time, and I face lack of concentration while studying and working. GIVE ME ANY REMEDY FOR THIS PLEASE.
I was with my mistress in a public place. A guy comment on her and she get in to argument with him. I interfere and told her. Chalte he yaha se. Is incident k 2 din baad usne call karke kaha tum kisi ladki k kaabil nhi ho. M tum me apnaa lifepartener nhi dekh ti. Kal ko mere parents ese ladke k saath shhadi nhi karaenge Jo responsibility nhi le sktaa. Aaj k baad call mt krnaa. I know mujhe waha stand lenaa chahiye thaa. Mere saamne esi situation nhi aai toh mene kaha use ab m samjhungaa apni responsibilities. Wo khti h ye time nhi h sikhne kaa (as I m 25 years old) I do realise my mistake. Usne mujhe block kr diya naa phone uthaa rhi h. Mujhe kuch achha nhi lg RHA h. Am I over reacting or she is doing right? Kya use time du. Ya ab apne aap ko samjhaa lu. Ki shaayaad WO mujhe nhi contact karegi. I love her.
Dear sir I got worry easily and take things by heart. Keep on thinking of particular thing. It effects more on my daily routine like feel vomiting ,unwillingness for food, feel weakness, suddenly get up in sleep, feel loneliness and it happen usually , loosing confident day by day.Please tell.
I have some forgetfulness problem after joining of my new company it was developing day by day hope can I over come from that. Only the office related documents and important activities.
I am 29 years old. I am taking medicine for bipolar disorder for 18 months. operate chrono 300 mg, dipwell 10 mg. I am 92 kg unable to loose weight. Kindly tell me way and how can I stop medicine. I have thyroid also taking eltroxin 50th mg.
I find some problem while having sex with my wife. No excitement is there. Even the urge for doing sex not arise. But I have full of sex as I see other ladies. Why?
At times I feel like someone is calling my name, but in reality no one. It might be a known voice or my own voice. Usually it happens while traveling in bike or at sleep. Am worried about my mental health.
Hiii. I am 35 years old. I am facing some problem like unable to sleep in night properly and many times I feel so heaviness in my brain and feeling so restless and able to concentrate. Bad bad thoughts coming in my mind. What should I do.
When my friends abuse me I am not able to reply them. They also make fake arrogance and criticise me for very small things. They take unwanted advantage of me. They never heed my words. Sometimes I feel very much worried about it. So much that I am not even able to sleep at night or during day time. This makes the situation worse as I am not able to focus on my studies and have headache all the time. Suggest me how to face bullying, criticism and fake arrogance and get nice night sleep and very minimize stress level so that I can sleep at least with peace .
I lost somebody close last year and since then feel very depressed and prefer keeping to myself all the time. Please help me?
Friendship is the fuel that keeps life interesting. Imagine a robotic life where you do not have anyone with whom you can chill or unwind at the end of the day. Friends are people with whom you can be yourself without having to worry about needs and requirements or judgements, at least most of the time. They are the layer that lies between your family and the rest of the world and provide you with a balance of sorts as far as insights, outsider perspective, advice for meeting challenges and unadulterated enjoyment go.
But many times, extreme shyness and an introvert nature can stop people from making friends easily. So how can you initiate friendships and keep them close? Here are a few tips!
- Understand Shyness: First of all, understand why you may be shy and how it makes your brain work. Shyness strips you of your security when you are faced with a new place or face. Also, it can lead to dismissive or avoidant behaviour, which keeps us from approaching people and learning more about them. Also, it keeps us anxious and preoccupied and makes us think that we will be met with rejection if we try to initiate friendship. Sounds vaguely familiar? Read on to know more.
- Eye Contact and First Impressions: The first way to initiate a new friendship is by making eye contact and following it up with a smile before the person in question averts his or her gaze. This is an unspoken language that is almost always answered similarly.
- Greeting: You can now approach the person and start by saying hello. It may be someone whom you have been seeing on your way to class or in the office cafeteria or even someone who lives in your building. So chances are, that this person would have noticed you too. Introduce yourself and ask for the person's name.
- Acknowledgement: Use the person's name often to show that you are acknowledging the friendship and ensuring that a bond begins to settle between the two of you from the word go. Offer to introduce this new friend to your other friends as further acknowledge of this new friendship.
- Information: In a new friendship, it is crucial to find common grounds without breaking the barriers of privacy. So ensure that you ask neutral questions about hobbies, family, education, work and other such issues without asking the when, where, what and how of things that might have to be explained by sharing personal details. In this way the person in front becomes more comfortable.
Be aware of the reasons that stop you and build your confidence when it comes to approaching people for friendship!