Lybrate.com has an excellent community of Pediatricians in India. You will find Pediatricians with more than 34 years of experience on Lybrate.com. You can find Pediatricians online in Chennai and from across India. View the profile of medical specialists and their reviews from other patients to make an informed decision.
Book Clinic Appointment with Dr. Kavitha
Treatment of Child and Adolescent Problems
Thyroid Problems Treatment
Thyroid Disorder Treatment
Paediatric Critical Care
Treatment of Childhood Infections
Child Nutrition Management
Growth And Development Including General Paediatri
Management of New Born Care
Preimplantation Genetic Diagnosis (Pgd)
Congenital Ear Problem Treatment
Treatment of Polycystic Ovary Syndrome In Adolesce
Treatment of Thyroid Disease in Children
Cleft Lip Treatment
Submit a review for Dr. KavithaYour feedback matters!
Hi. My baby is 1 month old. After 2 hour of the feeding he was expels some milk from nose as well as from mouth. After each feeding always I was keep him upward position on shoulder for burping. But also he is suffering from this problem. Is it create any compliance and why it is happening?
My baby girl is 5.5 months old she is very active. But sometime her eyes become teary .small amount of water come in her eyes .so please tell me why her eyes become teary. She also have cough infection sometime.
As young children learn language skills, it's normal for them to have some difficulty saying words correctly. That's part of the learning process. Their speech skills develop over time. They master certain sounds and words at each age. By age 8, most children have learned how to master all word sounds.
But some children have speech sound disorders. This means they have trouble saying certain sounds and words past the expected age. This can make it hard to understand what a child is trying to say. Speech sound disorders include articulation disorder and phonological process disorder. Articulation disorder is a problem with making certain sounds, such as" sh" phonological process disorder is a pattern of sound mistakes, such as not pronouncing certain letters.
About articulation disorder
- Articulation disorder is the inability to form the certain word sounds correctly past a certain age. Word sounds may be dropped, added, distorted, or swapped. Keep in mind that some sound changes may be part of an accent, and are not speech errors. Signs of an articulation disorder can include:
- Leaving off sounds from words (example: saying" coo" instead of" school")
- Adding sounds to words (example: saying" puhlay" instead of" play")
- Distorting sounds in words (example: saying" thith" instead of" this")
- Swapping sounds in words (example: saying" wadio" instead of" radio")
About phonological process disorder
- Phonological process disorder is a regular pattern of certain word speech mistakes. The mistakes may be common in young children learning speech skills, but when they persist past a certain age, it may be a disorder. Signs of a phonological process disorder can include:
- Saying only one syllable in a word (example" bay" instead of" baby")
- Simplifying a word by repeating two syllables (example" baba" instead of" bottle")
- Leaving out a consonant sound (example" at" or" ba" instead of" bat")
- Changing certain consonant sounds (example" tat" instead of" cat")
Causes of speech sound disorders
- Often, there is no known cause for a speech sound disorder. But some speech sound errors may be caused by:
- Injury to the brain
- Intellectual or developmental disability
- Problems with hearing or hearing loss, such as a history of ear infections
- Physical abnormalities that affect speech, including cleft palate or cleft lip
- Disorders affecting the nerves involved in speech
Diagnosing speech sound disorders
First, your child's hearing should be checked. This is to make sure that he or she isn't simply hearing words and sounds incorrectly.
If hearing loss is ruled out, you may want to contact a speech-language pathologist. This is a speech expert who evaluates and treats children who are having problems with speech-language and communication.
By watching and listening to a child speak, the speech-language pathologist can determine whether the issues are part of normal growth and development or are a speech sound disorder. The pathologist will evaluate your child's speech and language skills, keeping in mind accents and dialect. Speech-language pathologists can also assess if a physical problem in the mouth is affecting your child's ability to speak.
Treating speech sound disorder
- The pathologist can then recommend a therapy plan to help your child overcome his or her disorder. Speech-language pathologists work with children to help them:
- Recognize and correct sounds that they are making wrong
- Learn how to correctly form their problem sound
- Practice saying certain words and making certain sounds
- The pathologist can also give you activities and strategies to help your child practice at home.
- If your child has a physical defect in the mouth, the pathologist can also refer your child to an ear, nose, throat doctor or orthodontist if needed.
A positive outlook
Early recognition and diagnosis of speech sound disorders can help children overcome speech problems. They can learn how to communicate well and comfortably.
My son is of 4 months old is not passing motion regularly. He will not pass motion for more than a week. Is there any natural way to make it regular. Can we start giving him solid food like raggi. To make his motion regular can we give him castor oil? pls give me a reply at the earliest
My cousin is 3 years old and she suffers from acidity and she gets that acid vomit kind of and never eats anything and she has stomach pain sometimes please help.
My son suffer a rear diease tuberous scelerosis. He is now 5 yrs old. Please help me for his treatment.
Home remedies for teeth whitening
Strawberries consumed once a day in a week or crushed strawberries applied to teeth helps as teeth whitener.
Baking soda use is a reliable natural method for years to whiten teeth. Add baking soda with some salt water, see paste makes a tried &amp; proven whitening toothpaste. (note: ada recommends to have teeth checked by the dentist before undergoing any whitening methods)
Dr Puja Bansal
Prudent international health clinic http://prudentinternationalhealthclinic.com