Lybrate.com has an excellent community of Psychiatrists in India. You will find Psychiatrists with more than 42 years of experience on Lybrate.com. You can find Psychiatrists online in Chennai and from across India. View the profile of medical specialists and their reviews from other patients to make an informed decision.
Book Clinic Appointment
Treatment & Management of Stress
Treatment of Mood Disorder
Treatment Of Male Sexual Problems
Sex Addiction Counselling
Treatment Of Female Sexual Problems
Anger Management Therapy
Treatment of Behaviour & Thought Problems
Quit Smoking Techniques
Cognitive Behavioral Therapy
Memory Improvement Techniques
Obsessive Compulsive Disorder Treatment
Treatment of Abnormal Behaviour
Psychological Diagnosis (Adult And Child)
Submit a review for Dr. Karthikeyan VYour feedback matters!
Hello Doctor. My friend has been diagnosed with schizophrenia. What are the symptoms? is it hereditary? what treatment options are available? can a schizophrenic get married? how can conjugal relations be affected if one partner is schizophrenic?
Voice results from the air that comes out of the lungs and passes through the vocal cords. The latter is also known as the voice box. Speech results from the vibration of the chords. Voice disorder might occur for various reasons such as tone, pitch, and volume of the if the voice. The roots of all problems boil down to the malfunctioning of the cords.
Voice disorder examples:
- Laryngitis: Laryngitis results from the swelling of the vocal cords. It can lead to a temporary halt of voice or a voice with hoarseness. It often occurs due to a viral attack in the respiratory tract. It can last from a few days to a few weeks. The treatment suggested for cases like these include resting the voice and intake of a lot of fluids. Some common causes that are responsible for laryngitis are GERD, chronic cough, and asthma.
- Vocal cord paralysis: Paralysis of the vocal cord can be temporary or permanent. The possible cause of this scenario can be from viral infection, cancer, surgical injury to the nerve etc. In the case of a paralysis of the vocal cord, a person might find difficulty in breathing, can result in weak voice etc. While this condition improves for many people with voice therapy and surgery, for some they permanently lose their ability to speak.
- Spasmodic dysphonia: The vocal cord spasm due to a problem with the nerve. This condition can lead to a quivery, hoarse, groaning or jerky voice. In this condition, a person might find it easy to speak at times and have difficulty in speaking later. Botulinum toxin and speech therapy help to improve this condition.
Possible causes of voice disorders:
- Growth: Extra tissue formation on the vocal cords might stop the vocal cords to work properly leading to voice disorders. The growth can be treated with injection, medicine or surgery.
- Swelling and inflammation: Exposure to chemicals, vocal and alcohol abuse, surgery-related complications can lead to inflammation or swelling of the vocal cords resulting in voice-related problems.
- Hormone: Disorder of the male, female and thyroid hormone can lead to voice related disorders affecting speech.
Symptoms of voice disorders:
- The harshness of the voice
- Voice is breathy, weak and whispery
- The voice sounds like choppy or strained
- A quivering sound while speaking
- The voice sounds harsh or rough while speaking
Diagnosis of Voice related disorders:
Voice related disorders can be detected through a process known as Laryngoscopy. This helps a doctor to view the throat region and find out the possible culprit that may be causing the problem. Some other popular methods are stroboscopy, EMG and imaging tests such as MRI and X-Ray of the throat. If you wish to discuss about any specific problem, you can consult a speech-therapist.
Hello sir, mam -. I am already suffering from great anxiety disorder is it suitable that green tea would help in reducing anxiety please tell me how.
I lost somebody close to me. I think about her all time. I always tried to avoid her memories but can't stop it. What I should do to get rid of her memories?
I forget today my frieds telling something. Tomorrow I will try to rememeber that matter but I cant why is there any reason?
Hello Dr, I am 47 year old long time have fobia can't walk alone I am always afraid going to fall down if I go to market feel very nerves if you can help me Thanks.
I am 30 years old and am trying to quit my addiction towards brown sugar but I fail every time. I have been in a re-hab for 3months last year. I know about the steps and the tools that narcotics anonymous taught me but I am having trouble with getting over the problem o feeling lonely. I lost both of my parents 8years ago. Please tell me to get over this problem so that I can get the" will-power" to quit drugs.
Hello sir, Actually since yesterday I am having fever and body pains also. And every joint of body is paining. What should i do?
Hello master. My mom have physiological disease. I think she's have dissociate identity disorder. How can I resolve this problem. Please give me authentic suggestion regarding this problem. Thanks.
I have a habit of smoking and I drink occasionally. I smoke 5-7 cigarettes a day. I want to quit smoking. What should I do?
I constantly keep thinking and dreaming about something. I'm not free even a second. Because of this im not in this world. I must gain consciousness and be in this world. I must stop thinking unnecessarily. My mind must be active. Please suggest me something to create alertness.
I am a female 22 years old. I am suffering from a social anxiety disorder from last 1 year. I have got many jobs but I wasn't able to continue because of my hesitation to talk to people. Why I am suffering from this?
What men might not know, however, is that smoking can also lead to erectile dysfunction (ed). Studies have shown that men who smoke are more likely to develop ed. And the more a man smokes - both quantity and duration of time - the worse his ed tends to be.
The good news is that quitting smoking can help restore erections. Let's look at this relationship more closely.
When a man is sexually stimulated, his brain sends signals to the penis to trigger an erection. Smooth muscle tissue relaxes and arteries widen, allowing the penis to fill with blood. When enough blood flows in, veins constrict to keep it there until the man ejaculates (or the stimulation stops). Then the veins open and blood flows back into the body.
As you can see, blood flow is critical for a good erection. Blood is what gives the penis the firmness needed for sex. When blood flow is compromised, so is the erection.
Smoking tobacco releases chemicals that interfere with this process. This can happen in a few ways.
- Hardening of the arteries (atherosclerosis). Chemicals can damage the lining of blood vessels, making it difficult for blood to flow into the penis.
- damage to smooth muscle tissue. When this tissue can't relax properly, blood flow becomes impaired.
- decreased nitic oxide.Smoking interferes with the body's production of nitric oxide, a compound needed for erections.
- Other health conditions, like diabetes and heart disease, can contribute to ed, too. If you're having erection problems, it's important to have a full checkup with your doctor. But quitting smoking definitely, can't hurt.
Quitting smoking should make you feel better overall. You'll feel good about yourself knowing that you've taken an important step toward better health - and possibly better sex!