Lybrate.com has an excellent community of Psychologists in India. You will find Psychologists with more than 35 years of experience on Lybrate.com. You can find Psychologists online in Chennai and from across India. View the profile of medical specialists and their reviews from other patients to make an informed decision.
Book Clinic Appointment
Treatment & Management of Stress
Treatment of Mood Disorder
Treatment of Abnormal Behaviour
Anger Management Therapy
Treatment of Behaviour & Thought Problems
Counselling And Stress Management
Treatment of Drug Abuse and Addiction
Nicotine De-Addiction Treatment
Obsessive Compulsive Disorder Treatment
Management of Parenting Issues & Doubts
Cognitive Behavioral Therapy
Sex Addiction Counselling
Schizophrenia is a psychiatric disorder in which a person’s mood, knowledge, thought and several other characteristics gets disturbed. We can notice most of the adults and old people with few symptoms of schizophrenia, which are most commonly left unidentified. The exact cause of schizophrenia is not yet known. The person feels that they are being constantly watched, they feel the presence of someone or something, which is not actually there. They are always suspicious and think that other people are gossiping and thinking about them.
Possible causes of Schizophrenia
Though the exact cause of schizophrenia is not known there are few factors, which contribute to the cause of schizophrenia.
- Genetic factors: People with a family history of schizophrenia are at higher risk of getting schizophrenia.
- Environmental factors: Environmental factors include excessive stress during pregnancy or later stages of life. Several other factors during pregnancy and childhood are responsible for causing schizophrenia. These factors are:
- Decreased oxygen level during delivery due to premature birth or prolonged labour
- Parental loss or separation in early stages of life
- Parental exposure to virus or during infancy
- Childhood physical or sexual abuse
- Abnormal brain structures and brain chemistry
Sings and symptoms of schizophrenia
- Hallucination: To see, feel or hear anything that really does not exist is known as hallucination.
- Delusion: A thought or belief of a person, which is either false or impossible in reality is known as delusion.
- Thought and speech disturbances: The thought process and speech of a schizophrenic will be disorganized, due to which he or she will fumble or is distracted as they are unable to align their thoughts.
- Difficulty in concentrating: It is difficult for people suffering from schizophrenia to concentrate on the task at hand.
- Erratic behaviour: People suffering from schizophrenia tend to behave erratically, either they will be too jumpy or will be perfectly still for hours at a stretch. Most people belief that those who are suffering from schizophrenia are often violent in nature, which actually is not the case.
Treatment for schizophrenia
Schizophrenia can be treated, if identified at an early stage. It is best advised to consult a psychiatrist the moment you spot the symptoms. Anti psychotic drugs, self help behaviour change, counselling and rehabilitation are few treatment modalities available for schizophrenia.
I am a 27 years old lady. Doing job in bank in a good designation. I had a relationship with my college over one and half year. We involved in physical relation. He proposed me for marriage. Now he is telling that due to his family he can't marry me, but he will remain my friend and support. Now i'm feeling bad. I love him. And also I live only with my father. My mother lives separately. So I cannot share my feelings with any one. I dreamed a lot about marrying him. Now what should I do?
I will start with my details I am 21 years old Male studying in an engineering college in India. When I was in high school I first had the symptom of something that I am facing. I was studying and my brain start to act out. For example I am reading "The quick brown fox" but I am reading individual words and my brain is against my will to make sense of it. It was 4 years ago and now this problem has reached to my daily activities like talking to friend, eating,My brain is acting against me to talk ,against to eat. Its like I have been held prison by my mind which ceases all my activity. I am a very social person and also good in academics but recently due to acting out my body doesn't want to do anything. Everyone will feel I am just calm just needs his own space. But actually I am having tides inside the river instead of the surface. I can't talk to anyone about this and this site is the last resort .Just help me and say its normal like common cold. Thanks for reading.
I am a student who wake up at 4 o'clock in the morning and sleep at 10 o'clock in the evening. Once I return from my college I feel lack of energy and not able to do any work or study properly. Please suggest me some energy drink or something else that would keep me energetic and also won't harm my body.
I m 22 years old and I have a bad habit like smoking and drinking. I want to quit. please suggest me what to do?
I have very fast mind, some time I am going to be a angry man, but some times I am very cool man ,what I am do,
I am 22 years old and I want to know that why I am so impatient. Whenever I am reading any solution to the problem I feel impatient and restless I just want to finish reading the solution quickly and I behave the same way in many aspects of my life, I want to know why I am restless and impatient in each aspect of the life, I do not know how to manage things means I will open an article on impatience in wikipedia and will just start reading and then I will scroll to the bottom reading the things fast like I do not want to wait, I can hardly control myself, I am aware of this thing but I can not control this thing I feel frustrated ,i am very impatience in my work like reading any wikipedia page ,i soon wanted to get to conclusions I do not know why I get impatient can anyone teach me how to be patient because I can not get my any work done due to my impatience and unable to achieve any skill. Can anyone teach me to think please.
I keep on forgetting things, actually I am in class 12 so I need to memorize more. I am not able to make it please suggest a proper diet, medicine, reason for this.
Smoking kills 1 million peaple/year in India.Majority of death are due to lung cancer,copd and heart diseases.Bidi is more harmful then cigarette.Second hand smoke is smoke exhaled by smoker and smoke produced by burning end of cigarette.Second hand smoking is like smoking himself/herself and produces same harm as active smoking.
Babies whose mothers smoke while pregnant and babies exposed to second hand smoke after birth are more likely to die due to SUDDEN INFANT DEATH SYNDROME. Older children whose parents smoke get sick more often as thier lungs grow less, are more prone to get bronchitis and pneumonia.Second hand smoke cause irritation of skin,throat and eyes.
WHAT ONE CAN DO -Keep away from second hand smoke.Do not allow anyone to smoke near children.Do not allow any one in the house to smoke.Teach older kids to stay away from second hand smoke.
BENIFITS OF SMOKING CESSATION. Life can change for better after smokinf cessation.
Within 20 minutes of cessation blood pressure drop to normal
8 hours later CO level drop to normal
28 hours later chances of heart attack decreases.
2 weeks later blood circulation improves.
3 month later lung function improves.
1-9 month later coughing,fatique,shortness of breath decreases.
DR MOOL CHAND GUPTA
MD RESPIRATORY MEDICINE
I am 29 years old arranged married and mother of a 6 years old boy I believe in love and love stories. I could not find or others words I didn't find anyone to be loved. After 5 years of marriage I met someone whom I love more than anything. I feel he is my soulmate. But I could never fullfill his dreamt criteria. I feel as a failure I feel very lonely.
I am in depression since 12 years now I am reading and try to adopt may techniques to reduce my depression. Also I am having much sleeping disorder. I always feel sleepy drowsy or feeling ill most of time I just remove this by sleeping does any suggestion for me take over this problem more what I want?
I am smoking weed for a while and my skin inside the shoulders I had rashes on the skin is there any symptoms for any disease. And caused by my habit of smoking weed.
I lost somebody close last year and since then feel very depressed and prefer keeping to myself all the time please favor me.
Pathological gambling is a situation in which a person is unable to resist the impulse to gamble and this leads to harmful consequences on the personal and social front of an individual. Pathological gambling is repetitive in nature, and a person cannot stop gambling by any means. The person would try to get money anyhow to gamble and he would feel uncomfortable or irritated at the idea of quitting gambling.
In order to control pathological gambling, it is advised that a person should quit gambling totally. Here are some measures which you can follow to control pathological gambling.
- Rehabilitation Programs: Both inpatient and outpatient rehabilitation programs can curb pathological gambling in a person. The program of a treatment center, if followed by heart, can cure the gambling problem. Moreover, by staying at a rehab for a period of time, a person will also stay away from gambling and will not get a chance to do so. Outpatient rehabilitation programs like group sessions and classes or one-on-one therapy sessions can also prevent gambling addicts from gambling without staying away from home.
- Twelve-step Program: The twelve step program by Gamblers Anonymous or GA may help a person overcome pathological gambling. For people who cannot afford long term rehabilitation programs, the twelve steps are ideal. Based on the same principles of the Alcoholics Anonymous, this program helps you to build a support group comprising of other recovering or recovered gambling addicts. Meetings are held every day, and you must attend these meetings to get help and encouragement.
- Cognitive behavioral therapy: Other than group therapies and support groups, psychotherapy also helps in dealing with pathological gambling problems. A one-on-one session with a therapist is very essential as gambling addiction arises from deep emotional issues. Clearing these issues would benefit the affected person. Treating the underlying issues may stop pathological gambling. Opening up to a therapist may be effective.
- Medication: In certain cases, medication is required to help get over pathological gambling. Gambling addiction may result on account of other underlying mental health conditions such as bipolar disorder. Treating the underlying causes with proper medication will cure the pathological gambling problem. Your impulse must be taken under control.
- Changes in lifestyle: Pathological gambling causes extreme loss of a person’s financial condition. A recovering pathological gambler must hand over all his financial responsibilities to a trusted family member or friend. Places such as casinos or gambling events should be avoided to restrict relapse.
Pathological gambling is a severe situation, which can cause great loss and harm to a person from many perspectives. One must take all necessary measures required to bring pathological gambling under control.