Lybrate.com has an excellent community of Psychiatrists in India. You will find Psychiatrists with more than 40 years of experience on Lybrate.com. You can find Psychiatrists online in Chennai and from across India. View the profile of medical specialists and their reviews from other patients to make an informed decision.
Book Clinic Appointment
Treatment & Management of Stress
Treatment of Mood Disorder
Treatment Of Male Sexual Problems
Sex Addiction Counselling
Treatment Of Female Sexual Problems
Anger Management Therapy
Treatment of Behaviour & Thought Problems
Quit Smoking Techniques
Cognitive Behavioral Therapy
Memory Improvement Techniques
Obsessive Compulsive Disorder Treatment
Treatment of Abnormal Behaviour
Psychological Diagnosis (Adult And Child)
Submit a review for Dr. KarthickYour feedback matters!
Hi I have a problem of ibs since last 4 years but my all reports r normal and also suffering from anxiety and panic attacks .but any in case I have taken all types of medicine for my ibs problem but doest solve what should I do .i m thinking that may be I have a health anxiety becoz I think a lot of about my health.
I have weight gain, being very tired, week muscles, high blood pressure, depression and anxiety, osteoporosis, stretch marks all over body.Please help me in this regards
I am 36 year old housewife working in a private school. I have 2 daughters. My problem is I get annoyed at every single thing that goes not according to my direction. I shout on elder one (11 year). Husband supports them a lot. Always tries to defend them. Everything I speak .he will say opposite and make children comfortable. I get really so annoyed. It feels as if my head will burst out. I really want to commit suicide sometimes. But I feel. I have to live for the children. Once they are old enough I can die. I see myself as a failure. I used to be a cheerful happy talkative but now everything's gone. I don't feel like going out. Having fun. .I have gained a lot of weight. I know I can reduce it by exercise diet. But I don't feel like going. That passion has lost. Whole life seems to be just strict. Shouting. Sometimes I feel I am getting too strict on daughters (11.
My mood swings alot and am unable to control. Am not able to share to my parents. I tried to have intense control. Do I have to follow any medication or anything wrong in my hormone secretion. Am 22 years old. Male.
Hi. I am addicted to smoking, I have picked it up since last 3 years and till now continuing. I know its not good for heart as well as lungs. Please give your opinion about how do I quit this habit?
I mostly do masturbation 2 times a week but after that next I am getting tired, uneasy, fuzzy vision, my body was panning whole day what should I do please suggest me.
I have alot of memory loss n have alot of problem while learning or understanding anything. Pls help me out by telling da best medicine or any other item to get good memory so dat I can do well in my xmz.
What is Depression?: It is a state of mind when a person feels very low, loses interest in routine daily activities, feels hopeless and helpless. Many times the person starts thinking about suicide. It is a very dangerous state and needs immediate intervention from Mental Health Professionals.
Assessment of Depression: Anyone feeling very sad cannot be called as a "depressed" person. To confirm the depression, the person needs to undergo assessment tests by either a Psychologist or a Psychiatrist. A "Depression Test" is carried out to see the exact intensity of depression.
Symptoms of Depression:
Feeling very sad all the time, continuously for more than 15 days: Feeling very sad continuously for a period of 15 days or more confirms depression. But just feeling sad sometimes is not depression.
- Crying for no specific reason: A depressed person may cry without any specific reason or provocation. The internal feeling of sadness is so intense, that the person cries without a good reason.
- Feeling worthless and hopeless: A depressed person has very low self esteem. The person thinks that he/she is useless, has no value and respect in the society. A depressed person feels hopeless. He/she thinks that 'this is the end of the world' and things cannot improve. The person does not have any hopes about future and may start thinking about committing suicide or may attempt suicide.
- Loss of interest in life: The person loses interest in life. Does not feel like taking part in any activities which she/he were interested in doing earlier. There is nothing to look forward to, in their life.
- Ignoring personal hygiene: The person is so disinterested in life that she/he becomes careless about personal hygiene. They may not take bath for days together, may not even change their clothes or comb their hair or brush their teeth and are least bothered about the general cleanliness.
- Sleep disorders: The depressed person may sleep all the time or may not be able to sleep at all, which affects their overall health.
- Eating disorders: The person with depressive symptoms may stop eating or eat very little or in some cases eat a lot.
- Lack of sexual desire: The person may lose interest in sex and stop interacting with the sexual partner or start avoiding them.
- Feeling like a loser all the time, not wanting to fight back: The person has no self confidence and hence loses all the faith in his/her own abilities. Does not believe that he/she can face difficult situations and also can fight back.
- Becoming antisocial: The person avoids meeting other people and does not interact with people at home.
Causes of Depression:
There are various factors, which may cause depression:
- Family history: A person who has a family history of depression is more likely to have depression. If any of the parents or grandparents were diagnosed with depression then the person is more susceptible to depression.
- Trauma: If a person has gone through a 'life changing' experience, it can cause depression. Situations, such as a sudden death of a loved one or in case of witnessing devastating natural disasters like earthquake or tsunami or a war survivor, someone who has experienced terrorist attack or when someone has suffered sexual or physical abuse etc. may cause depression.
- Health issues: If a person is having terminal illness, that can cause depression as the person has to endure lot of pain and has no hopes about recovery.
- Relationship problems: If a person is dissatisfied with his/her close relationships like relation with the spouse, parents, siblings or offsprings, then the person may feel like a failure and feels worthless, unwanted or betrayed.
- Financial issues: A person having any financial issue like not able to get a job or loss of job, incurring heavy losses in business or unable to earn enough money to satisfy the basic needs etc. might get depressed.
- Failures in life: Failure to pass an examination, failure to achieve targets/goals, failure in love affair etc.may result in depression.
- Treatment for Depression: Depression may fall in the category of mild, moderate and severe. But it is very important that the person gets assessed for the severity of depression.
- Assessment by a Psychiatrist/Psychologist/Counsellor: A person needs to be assessed by either a Psychiatrist or a Psychologist or a Counsellor, to understand the intensity of depression. These Mental Health Professionals may assess a person by talking to him/her and if required by applying certain 'Depression Assessment' tests.
- Medication and Counselling: In case of moderate to severe depression, a Psychiatrist will prescribe certain medication. Along with the medicines, counselling sessions work very well. In case of mild depression, only counselling also can be helpful.
- Depression is Treatable: If you come across someone with depressive symptoms, kindly advise them to seek help from a Counsellor, Psychologist or a Psychiatrist.
While getting together in bed is something that everyone fantasizes or thinks about, when it comes to the actual act of being with a partner, shyness and inhibitions may stop you from actually having a god experience. While some factors for shyness can be physical, in most cases, they border on emotional and psychological problems.
Factors that might cause sexual shyness:
Some of the factors that cause sexual shyness could be:
- A fear arising from lack of experience
- A low self esteem
- Bad encounters and experiences in the past
- Body image issues
These are all factors, which can be changed and controlled with a slight change in your thinking and conditioning yourself in certain ways.
Overcoming sexual shyness with a partner:
While most people have active fantasies about sex, when it comes to a one on one experience, many people feel out of their comfort zone. Let's look at a few mental and thought conditioning exercises that can help you counter sexual shyness.
- Don't have major expectations: One of the biggest issues with mostly men and to some extent women, is that they have elaborate fantasies, which don't come true in the real world and thus aren't prepared to handle real life sexual situation when they come up. Thus you should preferably have a no expectation approach.
- Ensure that the surroundings are comfortable: If you are having a hurried encounter or in a situation you aren't comfortable in, it might lead to bad experience, which will keep manifesting every time you have sexual encounters. Thus make sure that your surroundings are comfortable and you are relaxed before the act.
- Don't let physical shortcomings scare you: Both men and women tend to be very conscious about their bodies. If you have to be naked in front of someone, you may feel even more self conscious. Stop feeling bad or sorry for yourself because of your body. No human being is perfect and if the other person wants to be with you in bed, they will ignore any physical imperfections that you think you may have.
- Think about the act and prepare: Remember that you are with a person and not with a fantasy. Once you are comfortable with a person and usually after a few times, you can then try fantasies and role playing. Initially think about the act before in your head and feel excited in its anticipation.
- Enjoy the build up and the foreplay: Sex isn't just the penetrative part, but all the fun section like kissing and foreplay that build up to it. Go slow and enjoy those sections as well and you will automatically be aroused enough to a point where inhibitions will go away.