Lybrate.com has an excellent community of Gynaecologists in India. You will find Gynaecologists with more than 30 years of experience on Lybrate.com. You can find Gynaecologists online in Chennai and from across India. View the profile of medical specialists and their reviews from other patients to make an informed decision.
Book Clinic Appointment
Endometrial Ablation Procedure
Treatment of Treatment of Breast Cancer
Management of Abortion
Hormonal Replacement Therapy Treatment
Caesarean Section Procedure
Treatment of Gynae Problems
Gynecology Laparoscopy Procedures
Treatment Of Female Sexual Problems
Treatment Of Menopause Related Issues
Treatment Of Menstrual Problems
Treatment of Mirena (Hormonal Iud)
Pap Smear Procedure
Polycystic Ovary Syndrome Treatment
Treatment of Uterine Bleeding
Antenatal And Postnatal Exercise
Submit a review for Dr. Kannaki KYour feedback matters!
Hi, me and my husband ar planning for our second baby but I really really want to have twins this time. Please tell me the ways of increasing the chances of having twins.
I am 25male we are trying for a baby my wife getting periods on 20th of the months did sex daily from 6th to 12th so how much chance for pregnancy. What care we have to take when doing sex.
I got my periods on 24 th of July then I had intercourse on 3rd of August. So is there any chances of getting pregnant.
Hi. I am shweta aged 28 years , married and suffering from PCOD since last 10 years. Kindly suggest me surgiu treatment for same?
My wife is undergoing IVF treatment. Embryo transfer will take place on 28th. Now Can she use indian toilet after transfer or she has to use western commode. Kindly advice.
My wife complained about the pain in her breasts since last week the pain is not very severe but it is enough to cause a discomfort. I want to ask is this is normal or anything serious. Kindly guide me what should I do.
During the menstrual days, it is necessary to use some kind of padding or easily absorbent material to remain clean and hygienic throughout the day. This material is available in form of tampons or sanitary napkins.
What is the difference between tampons and sanitary napkin
- The tampon is a mass of retentive material shaped in a cylinder, which needs to be inserted into the vagina. Most tampons have a cord or string to aid manual removal. Tampons are used especially when you have to wear tight fitting clothes.
- The sanitary napkins are disposable flat pads that are worn externally to collect menstrual blood and prevent staining. These are mostly made of rayon or cotton. They are available in a variety of sizes, with added benefits of extra absorption and fragrance in some cases. They are easier to carry.
Benefits of using a tampon
- Tampons are easy to use provided you are very well informed and well practiced about its usage and methods of insertion
- Tampons can absorb menstrual blood, depending on your flow, for up to six hours.
- Tampons are more hygienic as the entire material does not get soaked. This helps in preventing the menstrual blood from coming in contact with underwear, skin and staining other clothing.
Disadvantages of using a tampon
- Tampons, if not changed within 4-6 hours, may cause leakage and staining.
- The insertion of a tampon is extremely inconvenient and uncomfortable if not used by practiced hands.
- Incorrect insertion can be painful and lead to injuries and infection
- Leaving a tampon on for too long can cause a Toxic Shock Syndrome. It is a fatal disease caused by toxins and bacterial infection.
- Tampons may increase menstrual cramps in some cases.
Benefits of using sanitary napkins
- Sanitary napkins are easy to use. They come in flat, rectangular shapes of absorbent material that are stuck on the underwear and absorb menstrual blood externally.
- Can be worn overnight.
- Easier to use and convenient to carry around.
- Helps to monitor the flow of blood
- Lessens the risk of infections, and there are fewer health risks
Disadvantages of sanitary napkins
- Cannot prevent menstrual odours
- The absorption rate is lower than tampons
- They show through clothing and tight fitted clothes cannot be worn
It is difficult to say which one is a better or healthier option. Both kinds have their own advantages and disadvantages and are a matter of individual preference. No matter what you use, it is important for you to keep in mind that it is necessary to change it after a few hours, and regular washing helps keeping the menstrual odour in check. It also keeps the pubic region clean and free from the risks of bacterial infections. It is necessary to remain active and maintain a healthy diet to have a regular smooth flow without blood clots. In case of uncontrolled bleeding, you must seek medical attention without delay. If you wish to discuss about any specific problem, you can consult a gynaecologist and ask a free question.
Hi, I am 30 years old women trying for conceiving from last 2 months I was tested with all my hormones in may 2015, all were normal except AMH that was 1.05 which falls under low normal value. Please suggest what remedy available for this I already taken dhea medicine for 2.5 months.
I am 23 years old I am married I am suffering from vaginal itching and rashes b urning, redness, and swelling of the vagina and the vulvaPain when you urinate (pee) Pain during sex ,rashes on vagina very severe burning.
Hello sir, my doubt is during the pregnancy time can I do the sex with my wife up to 6 or 7 months time please give me the suggestion.
My question is if I have unprotected sex and he comes inside and the same day I start birth control is there any chance I could be pregnant?
I am 28 years old, 5'2ft height, 69 kgs. Weight. Post pregnancy I am trying hard to lose weight. I cannot. Is there any healthy supplements which will help to lose weight fast with no side effects.
Vestibulodynia is a disorder in which women suffer from discomfort or pain in the vestibular area of the vagina, which comprises of the Bartholin's gland known for producing vaginal lubrication, the urethra from where you pass urine, and other minor vestibular glands known to produce vaginal discharge. Overgrowth or excessive sensitivity of the nerve fibers present there is considered to be the reason why women suffer from Vestibulodynia. The symptoms have a huge impact on the sufferer as simple acts, such as sitting down for prolonged periods or walking causes discomfort. This disorder usually affects women between 20 to 40 years of age.
- The symptoms of Vestibulodynia typically lasts for half or quarter a year. However, in some cases it may last for years, and a lifetime if untreated.
- Most women realize that they suffer from Vestibulodynia during their first sexual experience since the vestibular area is so hypersensitive that even the slightest touch during sexual intercourse, moving while in tight clothing as well as inserting tampons may cause some discomfort and pain.
The degree of pain experienced by women suffering from Vestibulodynia is variable. You may experience pain even after having had comfortable sexual relationships.
- Apart from overgrowth or hypersensitivity of the nerve fibers in that region, other possible causes are tendencies of pain problems or disorders, chronic yeast infections like thrush, injuring the vestibular area during surgery or childbirth and/or extreme sensitivity to irritants like panty liners and detergent etc.
- Sometimes, the pain is due to deeply rooted psychological issues, such as sexual trauma and other factors, such as birth or while moving house.
Vestibulodynia is sometimes mistaken for a type of skin diseases. However for the best treatment, you must consult a gynecologist who will treat your condition depending on your symptoms. Mentioned below a few ways to treat Vestibulodynia:
- Vaginal dilators, which are inserted into the vagina to relax the muscles present and gently stretch that area. Vestibulodynia also causes the pelvic floor muscles to tense up which can be overcome through vaginal dilators.
- Anesthetic Gels are water based gels, which have a small amount of local anesthesia and may numb the sensitive nerve fibers present there temporarily. Rub the gel over the tender areas, half an hour before indulging in sexual activities.
- You may even consume nerve fiber blocking tablets if you experience constant pain due to Vestibulodynia to tend to the sensitive nerve endings in your skin.