Lybrate.com has an excellent community of General Physicians in India. You will find General Physicians with more than 44 years of experience on Lybrate.com. You can find General Physicians online in Chennai and from across India. View the profile of medical specialists and their reviews from other patients to make an informed decision.
Book Clinic Appointment with Dr. Kalanithi A N
Treatment of Migraine Treatment
Weight Management Treatment
Removal Of Stitches Procedure
Thyroid Problems Treatment
Dressings Of Wounds Procedure
Prevention of Blockage, Atherosclerosis & Heart At
Hiv Prophylaxis Post Exposure
Viral Fever Treatment
Thyroid Disorder Treatment
Stitching Of Wounds Procedure
Submit a review for Dr. Kalanithi A NYour feedback matters!
Swimmer's ear is a medical condition, which involves inflammation, irritation or infection of the ear. It may affect the outer ear and also the ear canal. Swimmer's ear is called Otitis externa in medical terms. The condition may be acute to chronic in nature.
Causes: Swimmer's ear is an infection that's usually caused by bacteria commonly found in water and soil. Infections caused by a fungus or a virus are less common. This condition is more common in teenagers and young adults. It may occur due to a middle ear infection or because of a respiratory infection such as cold.
Swimmer's ear can occur as a result of swimming in unclean or contaminated water. These waters contain pseudomonas and other harmful bacteria, which can lead to such ear infections. The infections are rarely caused by fungus.
Swimmer's ear may also result due to other reasons. They can be:
- Scratching the inside or outside of the ear.
- Having something stuck in the ear. When you clean ear wax with cotton swabs or small objects, damage may occur. Using headphone or ear plugs for a long period of time may also cause swimmer's ear.
- Allergic reaction to some object or anything placed in the ear may also cause Swimmer's ear. These may be hair products or jewelry.
- Some chronic skin conditions like eczema and psoriasis may also lead to this infection.
There are several factors, which may enhance the risk of getting swimmer's ear. They are as follows:
- Swimming in water, which has got elevated levels of bacteria. This includes lakes and ponds.
- People having narrow ear canals are at a more risk of swimmer's ear.
- Aggressive cleaning and scratching of the ear canal.
The symptoms which indicate swimmer's ear are:
- Itching of the ear canal. This becomes intense as the condition progresses.
- Redness on the inside parts of the ear, which get more extensive in later stages.
- Discomfort which worsens by pulling on the outer ear or pushing on the tragus of the front part of the ear.
- Drainage of a fluid which is clear and odorless. As the condition worsens, there is excessive drainage of fluid along with the discharge of pus.
- A fullness feeling in the ear and a partial blockage of the ear canal because of swelling and fluids.
- In advanced stages, fever and swelling of lymph nodes in the neck is indicated. Hearing impairment may occur.
Swimmer's ear is a health condition, which involves the ear. The ear gets inflamed because of a certain bacterial infection. Although it is not a very severe condition, in some cases it can do significant harm.
I am suffering from fever from last 10days. Its a major problem or not. If yes than which are the symptoms of TB.
My friend after doing sex his not stasfiyng with partner and after ejection second tym not standing properly.
I have a problem of constipation. What I have to do. I have also problem of diabetes. What I have to do for the solution of this.
I am 39 years male and want to know details about male vasectomy and also want to do circumcision. I stay near goregaon west in Mumbai and want to consult a doctor nearby in goregaon West. Please suggest.
Hi Sir, Since one week I have a pills or hemorrhoids problem. It will suffer me pain and not able to sit properly. It is my first time what should I do. Give me any ayurvedic remedy.
Hello sir, Please tell me about Keto diet? It is good for weight loss but it save? Can diabetic patient use this diet?
Neuro linguistic programme (nlp) can bring about long lasting changes in behaviour. It is believed to recognise the connection between the neurological process (neuro) language (linguistic) and behavioural patterns learned through experience (programming) that can be changed to achieve specific goals in life.