Lybrate.com has an excellent community of Gynaecologists in India. You will find Gynaecologists with more than 32 years of experience on Lybrate.com. You can find Gynaecologists online in Chennai and from across India. View the profile of medical specialists and their reviews from other patients to make an informed decision.
Book Clinic Appointment
Management of Abortion
Caesarean Section Procedure
Treatment Of Female Sexual Problems
Termination Of Pregnancy Procedure
Treatment Of Pregnancy Problems
Well Woman Healthcheck
Treatment Of Female Sexual Problems
Treatment Of Medical Diseases In Pregnancy
Treatment Of Menstrual Problems
Intra-Uterine Insemination (IUI) Treatment
Medical Termination Of Pregnancy (Mtp) Procedure
Gynecology Laparoscopy Procedures
Pap Smear Procedure
Submit a review for Dr. KalaimaniYour feedback matters!
One of my friend told me that her boyfriend has been complaining about her vaginal odour however she finds it perfectly normal. I have read a lot about it to help her out, but it seems that she is taking all precautions and still the problem persists. Can you explain how and why this situation may arise?
Me nd my gf are both 21 years old and are planning to have sex for first time. What precautions should be taken by both of us?
A panic attack can start suddenly and may be caused due a variety of reasons. A patient of depression and anxiety usually goes through such attacks. The symptoms of these attacks include sudden and persistent fear, the feeling of losing control, the feeling of having a heart attack, palpitations problem, sweating, dizzy spells and more. It has been medically proven that most adults go through at least one or more panic attacks in their lifetime.
Here are a few ways in which one can stop a panic attack:
- Recognise the Signs: Take note of the symptoms. From a feeling of choking to detachment, losing control, surreal experiences, dizzy spells, nausea, pain in the abdomen and chills, to tremors, and a fear of facing death, there are many symptoms that can put your body in a fight or flight response where things may suddenly seem terrifying, and without any reason at that.
- Breath Control: Learn to control your breathing as soon as you begin to experience the symptoms. This will help in distraction even as it soothes and calms you down, thus forcing you to think rationally about the fear and helplessness that you are suddenly experiencing. Sit down with your knees bent and let your shoulders relax.
- Relaxation Techniques: Learn and practice a few relaxation techniques during times like these. This may include simple things like rubbing your neck and more focused activities like talking to yourself and meditating.
- Continuation: Remember to hold your breath, let it out, and then carry on with the activity that you had set out to do. If you stop what you were doing, then the message going to your brain is loud and clear and you will panic even further. But if you relax and zone out before letting yourself go about the chore, however robotically, then it will have a positive effect on the messages that are sent to your brain.
- Medication: In the event that you are not able to fully control and relax yourself and your thoughts, then you may want to see a psychiatrist who can prescribe specific medication that will help in relaxing you. Sedatives and antidepressants may also be prescribed for patients who are going through severe episodes of panic with debilitating symptoms.
- Differentiate between Stress and Panic: Many times, we may feel like we are panicking, yet this may simply be a way of going through stress. It is important to focus on recognising events and reactions as stress or panic.
Not allowing yourself run away from a situation is a sure shot way of dealing with panic as this condition the brain to be more accepting and resilient. If you wish to discuss about any specific problem, you can consult a doctor and ask a free question.
The medical term ‘spina bifida’ or spinal bifida refers to a congenital defect in the spine. In simpler terms, spina bifida is a defect in the neural tube. Based on the severity of this disease, spina bifida can be divided into three different types:
The symptoms of spina bifida vary depending on each of these three types. Let's take a closer look at its symptoms here:
Myelomeningocele is the most severe form of spina bifida. In this type of neural defect, spinal canal of the baby remains open in the middle or lower back along a few vertebrae. Due to this opening, a sac is formed at the back of the baby at birth, which exposes the baby to several life-threatening infections.
Some of the common symptoms of this type of spina bifida are:
- Presence of uneven hips
- Deformed feet
- Curved spine or scoliosis
- Bladder and bowel problems
- Muscle weakness
- Paralyzed leg muscles.
Physical deformities from moderate to severe levels are also very common in this type of spina bifida.
Meningocele is a ratherrare form of spinal bifida in which a sack of fluid stays in open at the back of the baby. Here the protective membranes that usually stay around the spinal cord push out through the vertebrae’s opening. Though this sack contains no part of the spinal cord, it may cause minor disabilities.
Some common symptoms of this kind of spina bifida are:
- Membranes forming a visible sack on the back at birth
- Presence of a small opening in the baby's back
The good news is that this sack can be removed through surgery without hampering the normal development of the spinal cord.
Spina bifida occulta is the mildest form of spina bifida, which, in majority of the cases, often stays hidden as its symptoms are rarely visible. As it doesn’t even cause any form of disabilities, it generally goes unnoticed. It doesn’t cause any damages to the nerves or the spinal cord.
Some common symptoms of occulta are:
- Presence of a gap between the vertebrae
- An area on the back formed with extra fat
- Acluster or small group of hair on the back
- A dimple or birthmark on the back.
In this kind of spina bifida, neither any sack of fluid is formed, nor are there any visible opening in the back. Sometimes, people who have spina bifida are not aware of it due to its minimal symptoms.
Spina bifida usually affects a child before birth, when the brain or the cord or the protective covering over them fails to develop completely. Knowing about the symptoms can be one of the best ways to identify and diagnose this disease and opt for proper treatment solutions. If you wish to discuss about any specific problem, you can consult a Neurosurgeon.
We had sex first time with my fiancé and it was unprotected. We didn't have sex for very long only a couple minutes because I was scared, night my periods I just wanted to know what I should think/know abt I vil get pregnant if I take pill any side affects who to now need helps.
I want to ask that is breast pressing very tightly and harshly for long time can cause any severe damage to breast? Or not;! Please tell! What r the risk it can cause! As during foreplay my bf presses my breast very tightly and harshly with both hands for long time. I am worry becoz I had listen that breast pressing can cause cancer and it can also damage my mammary glands and breast muscles please tell;! Please tell in detail all risk and damages! So that I can remove this worry!
I have thyroid problem past 1year and i am using the tablets, now I want to conceive but all the time i am disappointed. Kindly suggest me.
Trying to become pregnant can be a stressful time – especially when things aren’t going as per your plan. Couples may experience an emotional roller-coaster of stress and anxiety.
The most common causes of *female infertility* include: endometriosis, ovulation disorders, ovulation induction, tubal disease, cervical factor, unexplained infertility.
It’s important to remember you’re not alone on this journey and help is available. Book an appointment with our *celebrity consultant gynaecologist and fertility expert today to get started with you fertility treatment journey.
*Sannidhya multi speciality hospital, south bopal, ahmedabad* department of obstetrics and gynaecology is fully equipped to deal with fertility problems including laproscopy, IUI, IVF, sarogacy, high risk pregnancy, ante natal care of expectant mothers.
Hi my wife last menses date is may 19. Today we checked with test tube it shows negative. When I can know exact status?
I am suffering from pain at periods time .its pain start from first day nd almost its all day pain upto last day.
I m 28 years female don't have monthly period from last one month, checked it with pregnancy kit but it shows negative two times but still now I don't have period kindly suggest me wat should I do.
Sir/Ma'am I had made physical relationship with my Girl friend without condom. And I am not going to marry with her as of now so tell me the effect any chance of pregnancy.
We are newly married 3 months back. My wife has conceived (6 weeks). For us, its not a correct time to continue the pregnancy. Can we go with pills abortion? Will it affect future pregnancy and any side effects? Please advise me.
Sunbathing is something we associate with expats from western countries but we should be doing it too or take vitamin D supplements especially around 50 years of age. This is vital for bones. An increased intake of salmon sardines egg yolks and milk may help too but may not be sufficient so supplements come in.
Accordingly people between 19 to 70 years of age need a dosage of 600iu (international unit) a day and above 70 years of age the dosage is 800 iu a day. And upper limit is 4000 iu. Hence go on and get some sunshine and avoid the pills.
The menopause can take three very different routes for women. There are those who sail through it with very few symptoms or problems and don't even notice that their ovaries have stopped producing the hormone. Then there are those for whom it is a matter of a few hot flushes and a couple of night sweats, doesn't last long and not really a bother. This usually marks a relief from the periods. But for some it is abject misery accompanied with crippling fatigue, absolute exhaustion, hot flushes, vaginal drying, mood swings along with low desire or lack of sexual feelings. These symptoms might persist for more than 7 years.
Hormone Replacement Therapy (HRT) is considered to be an effective treatment for menopausal symptoms. The other problems linked with menopause can also be influenced by HRT in a positive manner.
HRT is indicated in:
- Treatment of symptoms of menopause and the risk benefit ratio is apt for the women and they have been informed about the same
- For women who are around 51 years and are reaching menopause even though they are asymptomatic
- In women who are at the risk of osteoporotic fractures and are under 60 years and the non-estrogen treatments cannot be given
- HRT is not recommended in women who are above 60 years
Benefits of HRT:
The benefits of HRT usually are more than the risk if done in a woman who is under 60 years of age.
- Improvement in quality of life by relieving muscle pains and improving sleep
- The mood swings are controlled and low moods are usually alleviated by HRT. Low moods usually arise due to menopause.
- It reduces the vasomotor symptoms, usually within four months of the treatment with maximum benefit in three months
- HRT improves the urogenital symptoms by lowering the vaginal dryness, vaginal atrophy, urinary frequency and symptoms.
- HRT reduces the risk of osteoporosis. HRT is believed to preserve the bone mass density of the skeletal sites thus reducing the chances of vertebral and nonvertebral fractures.
- HRT also reduces the risk of colorectal cancer and cardiovascular diseases
Risks of HRT:
The main risks of HRT are stroke, endometrial and breast cancer, thromboembolic disease, pulmonary embolism and gallbladder disease. Though other risks are:
- It increases the risk of ischemic stroke
- There is a small risk associated with breast cancer and the risk increases more, if the woman is underweight or overweight, alcohol user, smoker and stops HRT suddenly
- Estrogen only HRTs can increase the risk of endometrial cancer. If cyclical progestogen is used for 10 days for 28 cycles then the risk is eliminated.