Lybrate.com has top trusted Psychiatrists from across India. You will find Psychiatrists with more than 30 years of experience on Lybrate.com. You can view profiles of all Psychiatrists online in Chennai. View the profile of medical specialists and their reviews from other patients to make an informed decision.
Book Clinic Appointment with Dr. Kailash Sureshkumar
Treatment of Depression
Treatment & Management of Stress
Treatment of Anxiety
Treatment of Alcohol Addiction Disorder
Treatment of Mood Disorder
Treatment of Fear
Treatment Of Male Sexual Problems
Treatment of Eating Disorders
Treatment of Memory Loss
Treatment of Anxiety and Depression
Treatment of Overeating Disorders
Treatment of OCD
Treatment Of Anxiety Attacks
Treatment of Panic Disorders
Treatment of Stress at Work
Sex Addiction Counselling
Treatment Of Female Sexual Problems
Treatment of Schizophrenia
Treatment of Bipolar Disorder
Anger Management Therapy
Submit a review for Dr. Kailash SureshkumarYour feedback matters!
I got married in the year 1998, from beginning I don't know it may be a curse to me that my thinking/like/dislike etc. Is nothing matching with my wife, as a result I never felt easy in my married life and there is always a conflict between us.Gradually it become a irritation of my life, thus though I am married I feel always alone which makes me sleepless night almost everyday. Hardly I can sleep 2-3 hours at night and day long I am always busy with my office activities. Sometime I feel tremendous headache and sometime for giddiness I can not work properly. So if you kindly give me your valuable suggestion I will be grateful to you. Thanking you.
My son is artistic, aged 35, no speech, behaviour is like 5 years old, mentally retarded. He takes Trioptal 300 and lonazep in the morning and night. PRESCRIBED by Psychologist. I saw his BP is 92 and 132, can you recommend any pills for BP. Does it BP is due to above medicines. please advise. Thanks.
I used to think a lot on small little things which sometimes lead to stress. What should I do to overcome this problem.
We all go through the ups and downs of our everyday lives. There are times when we feel we can achieve a lot, do wonders, make the most of our potential, and then there are days when we consider ourselves complete failures, feel down in the dumps, and nothing seems to be going our way. Such is life, and this variety and unpredictability is its beauty. Having a low mood, feeling sad or even “depressed” is actually different from clinical depression.
According to the ICD-10 Classification of Mental and Behavioural Disorders, clinical depression is marked by the following three cardinal symptoms lasting for a period of at least 2 weeks:-
- Depressed mood
- Loss of interest and enjoyment
- Reduced energy leading to easy fatigability and diminished activity.
In addition to this, other common symptoms could be – reduced concentration and attention, reduced confidence and self-esteem, ideas of guilt and unworthiness, bleak and pessimistic views of the future, disturbed sleep and appetite, and ideas of self-harm or suicide.
Just like any other psychological illness, depression also could be due to a combination of bio-psycho-social factors. It is a very common illness and affects 1 in every 3 persons in India once in their lifetime. Although it can have a recurring course, it is definitely treatable with anti -depressant medication, psychotherapy, certain lifestyle changes and Homoeopathy also .
There are some things that you can do too to manage your mood.
STEPS TO BEAT DEPRESSION
- Maintain a routine. A structured day keeps the uncertainties and stress to the minimal. Moreover, it makes sure efficient use of your time.
- Go for a walk or exercise. Physical activity releases endorphins, often called “happy hormones” which work as natural anti-depressants.
- Engage more often in your favourite activities, hobbies or things that give you happiness even if it seems futile. The general rule of thumb that works in depression is- THE MORE YOU DO, THE MORE YOU FEEL LIKE DOING. So, don't wait for your mood to get better before you do things that you enjoy.
- Share your feelings and thoughts with people you are comfortable with. They might not be able to suggest a solution to your problem but you would feel much better.
- Feel free to consult a mental health professional like a Clinical Psychologist who understands the condition well and has acquired professional training in dealing with such problems. Psychotherapy is very effective in treating depression and can help you deal better with the situation.
"Do not believe the things you tell yourself when you are sad and alone"
I am 22 years old. I have lots of fear to live, I have lot of stress but do not know whats the reason is? I want to live a happy life and a happy situation anytime but I can not. I need a positive attitude and positive and bold mindset. What can I do?
For the past two centuries, Homeopaths have concentrated on the interconnection between psychology and physiology. It has been known for long that Homeopathy has no side effects on a person's overall health and thus, it should be implemented in curing mental and physical stress. Mental stress may result from a person's coping skills. You may respond to stress in a wrong way and this further complicates your situation.
You may fail to control your instinctive reactions. Medications in Homeopathy can actually remedy disorders regarding stress management. In many cases, it has been noticed that a physiological disease has a psychological impetus to itself. For instance, people falling under the 'Type A personality' category are more susceptible to heart problems. Their heart problems can be serious enough to make them undergo bypass surgeries.
An operation can be avoided, if only reasons behind problems at the surface are understood. Patients belonging to the 'Type A personality' category can suffer from 'hurry sickness' with symptoms like bouts of anger, impatience, aggression and hurriedness. These factors together enhance the risk of having heart problems later in life.
The following medicines tackle disorders without any side effects:
- Homeopaths advise you to take Aconitum napellus to reduce physical stress. Aconite napellus is known to treat problems such as a dry mouth, an irritable skin, a pounding heart and so on so forth. This can even cure problems resulting from a traumatic episode in past.
- Another Homeopathic medicine prescribed to deal with anxieties about future is Arsenicum album. If you have fears about your safety, about certainty or about what future has in store for you, this medicine can help you out.
- The medicine Phosphorus is known to treat fears of being alone. Many people are afraid of being alone. They need company all the time. Phosphorus also tackles common fears, such as fear of thunderstorms, fear of the dark or fear of ghosts for that matter.
- People facing anxieties about health or anxieties about death often evade sleeping at night. They hallucinate and see apparitions. Mental stress therefore, leads to physical stress. Kali- arsenicosum is one Homeopathic medicine to take care of such problems.
Homeopathy as an alternative branch of medicine, which comes to your relief without causing other bodily problems during the course of treatment. Hence, to fight mental or physical stress you must try out Homeopathy. If you wish to discuss about any specific problem, you can consult a Homeopath.
Throw away your cigarettes, lighters, and ash trays if you haven't already
Avoid caffeine, which can make you feel jittery; try drinking water instead
Hang out with non-smokers; most people don't smoke, so you should have options
Go to a place where smoking isn't allowed; unless you want to break the law, you won't light up
Get plenty of rest and eat healthy; lack of sleep and too much sugar can trigger you to smoke
What are the symptoms of Schizophrenia? Are violent temperament, inability to see reason, and imagining enemies some of the symptoms?
Diabetes is a state where the body suffers from lack of energy due to poor metabolic state. This is construed as depression in many patients as they already feel lethargic and subdued. The fatigued state of body in diabetes can be alleviated by exercise which raises endorphins - substances which are released in the body especially by exercise - providing us the necessary elation so much necessary for our recovery
Managing diabetes may make a person feel alone and set apart from their friends and family due to the number of dietary restrictions they need to follow. Additionally, if the person has trouble controlling their blood sugar level, it may make him frustrated and anxious. Over time, these negative emotions can build up into depression.
Depression can make a person lose his sense of purpose and can make regular tasks feel like too much to handle. Thus, a depressed person may stop taking care of himself. The lack of energy can lead to a loss of appetite or unhealthy snacking. This can trigger fluctuations in blood sugar levels that worsen diabetes.
- The diet and exercise advised by doctors may compound the problem of depression.
- Financial burden of treatment- Medicines, Tests, Consultation and Hospital admission also contribute to stress
- Diabetics are almost 3 times more likely to suffer form depression as compared to non-diabetics
- Depression in diabetics adversely affects the outcome of treatment as depressed pts are less likely to take their medicines in time, go to the doctor or do the required tests..leading to a vicious cycle
Depression and diabetes have a cyclic relationship. The good news is that these two diseases can be treated together and managing one of these diseases can have a positive effect on the other as well.
Here are a few ways to treat diabetes and depression:
Regular exercise is very beneficial towards treating, both depression and diabetes. Exercise helps regulate blood sugar levels and hence can help control diabetes. It also helps in reducing excess weight, which can enhance your self image and make you feel happier. Simultaneously, it also releases endorphins or the 'feel good' brain chemical. This can help alleviate depression symptoms.
A Balanced Diet
A balanced diet is essential for good health and can help manage, both these disorders. Along with a balanced diet, there is also a need to abstain from snacking between meals. Reducing the amount of sugar in your meals helps stabilize blood sugar level and control fluctuations. Stable blood sugar level keep a person from becoming increasingly anxious and can thus prevent depression.
A good night's sleep can treat, both diabetes and depression. If you have proper sleep, you will awake feeling refreshed and energetic. This positive energy balances the negativity of depression, lowers the urge to snack and helps in stabilizing blood sugar level.
Psychotherapy or in particular cognitive behavioral therapy has been proven beneficial towards treating depression. This in turn gives a person the motivation needed to manage his diabetes as well.