Lybrate.com has an excellent community of Gynaecologists in India. You will find Gynaecologists with more than 30 years of experience on Lybrate.com. You can find Gynaecologists online in Chennai and from across India. View the profile of medical specialists and their reviews from other patients to make an informed decision.
Book Clinic Appointment
Minerals and salts are important parts of our daily diets. These minerals play significant roles in the functioning of the human body but, if found in excess, they might adversely impact your health. One such mineral is sodium, which is abundant in most food sources.
Sodium is present in every food in the form of salt. Most forms of meat, canned vegetables and soup, junk food and pickles are some examples of food which are naturally high in sodium. Apart from this, any cooked food will have salt crystals within it. Medical research has shown that most people consume more sodium than what is recommended.
Ill Effects of Sodium Intake in Excess
- The most common problem caused by the excessive consumption of sodium is high blood pressure.
- High blood pressure, apart from being the cause of strokes can also affect internal organs like kidneys and cause renal failure over time.
- It can also be detrimental to the heart and be a contributing factor to heart conditions as well.
Here are some of the ways through which you can reduce sodium intake through changes in diet.
Increasing the intake of fruits within the diet - Inclusion of more fresh fruits in your diet will reduce the amount of sodium consumption. Canned and processed fruits may increase sodium consumption and hence should be reduced.
Changing to fresh unprocessed meats - Certain processed and packaged meats such as in snacks and fast foods should be avoided as they have high sodium content. Hence, consumption of fresh meat instead of processed meat is an effective way to reduce your daily sodium intake.
Including more leafy vegetables in your diet - Leafy green vegetables such as kale, spinach, and celery have a lot of water and also help reduce the sodium intake in your body.
Drinking plenty of water - Sodium levels can rise within the body when it is dehydrated. Thus, it is prudent to always keep your body hydrated by drinking plenty of water.
If you would like to consult with me privately, please click on 'Consult'.
Hi Missing periods from 1 month. Negative in pregnancy test after 21 days and 25 days of missing period. Still no periods. Is there any chance of pregnancy still?
Hi, i am female 25 years old. Married for just 15-20 days. and suffering from vaginal itching and burning and running to the toilet over again and again. What is the problem and how it can be solved?
I am 24 years old male and going to have sex first time that's why don't want to use any protection but don't want pregnancy also. Please suggest needful.
I am 24 weeks pregnant. My cervical length at 19 weeks 2 days was 4.1 cm. And now at 24 weeks cervical length is 3.2 cm. Am I at risk. What measures can I take to increase the length.
Hi my friend Asha is not getting periods it's already 10 days over the date as she had sex with her bf but she took unwanted 72 and now she checked with preganews it's result negative what she will to get periods is der any risk? Please help her.
I was given general anesthesia for a surgery. It has been 2 weeks but the area near the needle piercing still pains a little and the vein at that part is a little swollen. Is this normal?
My period is stop for last month and I have 7 month new born baby. I thought that I am pregnancy once again but by check through kit last week I found negative what was reason for this.
Hlw Dr. My friend is lose her virginity. In a rape case. 2-3 months se uske Sath Ye ho rha tha. Nd rapist is her relative. Is wajah se nd badnaami k Dar se koi action na le k her parents r fix her marriage in February. Now she is worried. 1st night uske husband ko pta chal jaega or wo use chod dega. She wants tighten hr vagina. Give her some advice. She is very depressed.
I am 23 years old. I am pregnant. This is my first child. Should I consult wit doctor for test an all let me know.
I am having periods from last 6 days with heavy bleeding. I am feeling weak n stressed. Last month I took primolut N tabs to delay my periods for 9 days. Is this due to medicines? Please suggest what to do.
What are the steps to follow during eighth month pregnancy to get the normal delivery and healthy baby.
I'm 24 weeks pregnant and it's my 1st pregnancy, I'm able to feel the baby kicks, however past 2 days I'm feeling bearable vaginal pain. I don't have any liquid or blood discharge. However pain exist continuously and mildly. So far everything is normal & I'm not under any complications or medication. Pl advice, whether it's normal or abnormal?
1) eat foods rich in protein like milk and milk product, eggs, chicken, meat.
2) eat energy dense foods like nuts, dates, potato, halwa, kheer etc.
3) eat fruits high in energy like banana, chickoo, sitaphal, mango, grapes.
4) eat two servings of pulses in a day esp. Soybean and urad dal.
5) have proper rest.
If you are looking out for proper meal plan and guaranteed weight gain results, click on consult privately.
Chilies have always been known as ingredients that add spice to indian food. Without chilies, any indian food cuisine is incomplete. Both have distinct tastes and also have different health benefits. Here's a comparison between the two:
Red Chilli: Red chilies are dried and then used in food a preparation. It is spicier or hotter than green chilies.
- Source of iron absorption - Red chilies contain a good proportion of iron which is very good for blood health. They also have a lot of vitamin c that helps the body in absorbing iron
- Burns calories - They produce heat in the body that directly burns down calories, just like heat generated due to exercise
- Relieves from congestion - In india red chilies are provided to a person for consumption when he is suffering from cold. It relieves congestion and helps is better respiration
- Reduces blockage in arteries - They are very powerful antioxidants that clear any blockages in the arteries or blood vessels.
Green Chilli: Green chilies are more subtle in taste and are used as fresh spices in various food preparations.
- Manages blood sugar levels - Green chilies tackle high blood sugar levels and control it if consumed regularly
- Promotes digestion - Owing to the various fibers found in them, they help in better digestion
- Good for skin - Green chilies being rich in vitamin e is a very good spice for a clean and healthy skin
- Very good for heart - Due to a considerable proportion of beta-carotene in green chilies the cardiovascular systems stays strong and the heart too stays healthy
- Both chilies have great benefits and consuming both in permitted quantities is only good for health.
If you would like to consult with me privately, please click on Consult.
From Lybrate: If you found this tip useful, please thank the doctor by clicking on the heart icon below. Also, spread good health by sharing this tip with your loved ones over whatsapp, facebook and other media.